Getting restrictions removed from my pistol permit [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Getting restrictions removed from my pistol permit

desmobob
01-23-2012, 14:34
Hi,

I live in upstate NY (Washington County), and the pistol permit I've held for 18 years is stamped with the restriction "For hunting and target shooting only". My research (New York's Firearms and Weapons Laws, 2nd edition) shows the restrictions to be not exactly legal, but also that they have held up in court.

After 10 years of holding a permit, you can ask to have the restrictions removed so it becomes a normal CCW permit. I stopped at the County Sheriff's office today to apply for a replacement for my tattered old permit, so I asked about removing the restrictions.

The clerk told me to have the restrictions removed, I need to write a letter to the Captain in charge of that department and explain why I'd like to have them removed.

Can anyone suggest some things I might include in my letter? I'd like to get some ideas on how to best approach the subject....

Good shooting,
desmobob

ZombieKing
01-23-2012, 14:44
Move. No seriously. :supergrin:

Other then that I'd write how you've been a fine upstanding citizen for 18 years that you've held the permit.

Happy Hunting
01-23-2012, 15:28
That sounds more like a firearms ownership ID like in Illinois than any kind of pistol permit...

"I've owned firearms for 18 years without incident, and I feel that I should have the right to carry firearms on my person as long as it is not in conflict with any regional ordnances like NYC or school zones."

---mail

RichM
01-23-2012, 15:47
Here's a post I made a few years ago that includes a sample letter.
I've lost track of how many people have used it so far, but it's a lot. (In a number of counties.)

In many cases, people I've known have applied and received a 'restricted' permit, then immediately signed up and attended a class. They then wrote a letter to the judge and had the restrictions removed.

'Wordsmith' the letter to your particular case.
i.e.
Do you have licenses from other states?
Do you carry when you travel out of state?
Since you have restrictions in NY, do you have to stop at a rest area late at night before coming back into NY to lock up your firearm?

Good luck,
Rich

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17342989&postcount=27

(To make it easier for you, I've copied most of that post below.)

Write a well thought out letter to the judge answering each question he may ask.

It doesn't have to be more than one page. Check spelling and grammar closely. Write it, then think about it for a few days. Then reread what you wrote.

If you know of additional questions the judge has asked other applicants, answer those questions also.

i.e.

The Honorable Judge xxxx xxxx

Dear Judge xxxx

My name is John Xxxxx. I have resided in Xxxxxxx County since xxxx.

I write in regards to my New York State Pistol License #xxxxxxx issued by Xxxxxxxx County in xxxx.

1. Tell him who you are
2. What is your experience/training
3. Do you have prior experience carrying - (do you carry 'legally' in other states etc.)
4. Do you understand the law
5. Will you obey the law
6. Do you understand the (tremendous) responsibility
7. What are some of the reasons you want to carry - (List some activities)
8. How do/will you protect your firearm from theft out of your vehicle - (There may be times you have to leave it in the vehicle, even if you think not, answer this question)
....One answer is something like this: http://www.center-of-mass.com/Store_InCarGunSafe.htm
9. How do you protect your firearm from theft out of your home.

I respectfully request that my Pistol Permit be amended to remove the (Sportsman etc.) restriction.

Thank you for considering this request.

desmobob
01-23-2012, 17:09
Oops... I posted this first in the wrong thread! ("Letter to Judge")

Here's a post I made a few years ago that includes a sample letter.

Rich,

Thanks very much for taking the time to pass that along. It's exactly the kind of help I was looking for.

I appreciate it,
desmobob

Gunnut 45/454
01-23-2012, 17:22
Doesn't just make you feel so much like a slave to have to beg to freely exersise a right! Take the frist advice -MOVE!! :supergrin:

RichM
01-23-2012, 18:00
If all of the pro-2A voters had moved out of Wisconsin, or Florida, or Utah, or.....(your state here)....
Where would we all be today?

Better to stay and fight for our rights. And yours.

Check the "History of Right To Carry laws" map for 1986 here:
http://www.handgunlaw.us/images/right-to-carry-history.gif

If nobody fought for our rights, we'd STILL be there.

hawgrider
01-23-2012, 19:30
If all of the pro-2A voters had moved out of Wisconsin, or Florida, or Utah, or.....(your state here)....
Where would we all be today?

Better to stay and fight for our rights. And yours.

Check the "History of Right To Carry laws" map for 1986 here:
http://www.handgunlaw.us/images/right-to-carry-history.gif

If nobody fought for our rights, we'd STILL be there.

Rich
Well said and I think we all need to remember to fight for our rights no matter where you live. There are people who want to take lots of different rights away and some times people are too quick to give them up because it sounds like the thing to do but when you look at what they are trying to do you realize whats going on.
Stand tall and let us know how this works out. Good luck