What Is Wrong With This AK? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What Is Wrong With This AK?

Restless28
01-23-2012, 21:16
I picked up a new Interarms AK47 today. It's a pretty AK, but when I got it home and tried the fit of the included empty 30 round steel mag, it was damned near impossible to move the magazine release to eject it! I tried every AK mag I had, and whether it was loaded or empty, it made no difference.

My thumbs are sore!

I then tried a fully loaded mag, and there was no change. If I insert it as one should, until it "clicks", it takes all the strength I can muster in my hand to move the release.

The release moves freely, with no magazine, albeit stiff, and I can see it catching the mag tab, but it looks out of spec. It's just too darn tight.

The mags don't wobble, and look straight when inserted. I have never seen this issue with an AK, even the WASRs I have owned.

I have a 3 day inspection that began today, so I need to make a decision quick. I don't blame Atlantic. It's not their fault.

Vance665
01-23-2012, 21:23
Ak mags should wobble a little bit. You can either file down the bottom of the tabs on the back of the mags a little at a time untill they fit or if you have more than one AK you might want to take out the mag release and file a little off.

G19ftw
01-23-2012, 22:03
Ak mags should wobble a little bit. You can either file down the bottom of the tabs on the back of the mags a little at a time untill they fit or if you have more than one AK you might want to take out the mag release and file a little off.

Taking out the mag release is no easy feat... at least not on the AKs I've owned or built.

I'd recommended shaving a little off the mag.

cdog533
01-23-2012, 22:23
Is the mag getting jammed against the side of the mag well? It should pull/rock right out when you hit the release.

CBennett
01-24-2012, 08:04
IMO send it back tell them to send a new one.

TN.Frank
01-24-2012, 08:46
Taking out the mag release is no easy feat... at least not on the AKs I've owned or built.

This is true but it's still a better fix to modify the gun(only one part to mess with) then to have to do each and every mag you buy. I modified the mag release on a Saiga in 7.62 that I use to own so that it'd take standard 30 round AK mags, you just need to get a small file that'll fit and take your time.

Rick O'Shay
01-24-2012, 08:50
IMO send it back tell them to send a new one.

^^^^^^^^^^^
This

CBennett
01-24-2012, 09:19
^^^^^^^^^^^
This

I say that because I dont believe if I order something that I should ever have to fix it to be able to get it to work properly...with my AK I just loaded up the mags(i gave it a good overall cleaning B4 i took it out first time) and shot it..if I had had any problems especially like the one your having id call them tell them whats up and say give me one that works im sending this one back...

The guy at Centerfire Systems was real good with me...he actually said he would hand check it and make sure all the sights were good and lined up and that it had the newer barrel(the AK 74 that came out prior to mine had some key holing issues id heard and told him that was a issue I wanted to be sure was not gonna happen) he also said if anything was wrong after he picked it out he would send me a Pre paid shipping label and replace it...luckily nothing was wrong worked and still works 100%.

WayaX
01-24-2012, 11:13
I would send it back if possible. However, since you have already complete the transfer, I do not think you can (unless Atlantic takes it back as used).

AK magazines should be able to be inserted and removed easily. Wobble side to side is normal; wobble front to back should be minimal.

Get whatever money back out of it that you can, then go buy an Arsenal. Contrary to popular belief, the rule of "you get what you pay for" applies to AKs.

ferd
01-24-2012, 11:52
I have had this problem, and you don't need to send it back. The end of the release that touches the magazine tab needs to be smoothed and polished out a small amount. No big deal.

my762buzz
01-24-2012, 11:55
Knockoffs can have all sorts of problems like this.

Vance665
01-24-2012, 12:52
I have to custom fit about half the AK mags I buy, I think it's totally normal. If you take too much off the mag release and buy a different brand of mags they might fit too loose.

Ethereal Killer
01-24-2012, 13:48
I have had this problem, and you don't need to send it back. The end of the release that touches the magazine tab needs to be smoothed and polished out a small amount. No big deal.

This.

it's not uncommon for the AK to need a bit of fitting. Dont be afraid of it you are not gonna kill it. get a hand file or a rough stoner and just stone it square and take the edges off of it. it's very simple and will not effect reliability even if you overdo it A LITTLE bit. I would shy away from the dremel if you have a heavy hand or cant control it properly or lack the right bit. file test, file test, file test, polish when finished.

I have yet to find an AK mag that was "out of spec", it's usually the US made guns that need tweaking. DONT mess with your mags.

It's not a big deal and it's certainly not worth sending it back for.

easy and cheap fix

Restless28
01-24-2012, 17:13
I did it the easy way. I took a file to the release, spending 2 minutes or so, and it's good to go now. :thumbsup:

Now, as far as the gun...

The fit and finish, now that the catch is filed slightly is as good or better than both Arsenal SGL 21s that I have owned.

It's a keeper!

http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq340/jackcassid/IMG_1029.jpg

http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq340/jackcassid/IMG_1023.jpg

Restless28
01-24-2012, 17:18
Two thumbs up for Atlantic!!!

CGP
01-24-2012, 17:26
Filing and smoothing the top of the mag catch will ease up the tension a bit. Take it a few strokes at a time and test insert a set of mags until the tension is manageable. The idea is you don't need to have kungfu grips to release the mag.
The rear lugs on these mags are not always the same thickness. Some will have wobble front to back, some will be tight as a (bleep).

MarcDW
01-24-2012, 18:04
Looks nice! Wonder how it does on the accuracy side?!

adamg01
01-24-2012, 18:35
Looks nice! Wonder how it does on the accuracy side?!

Most likely the American barrel will not shoot with the hammer forged Russian barrel but who knows. The important thing is that he likes it.

jljbtm
01-24-2012, 18:44
I saw a AK-47 this weekend dated 2000 I know nothing other than I eventually want one,
Whats a keeper and whats not?

adamg01
01-24-2012, 18:53
I saw a AK-47 this weekend dated 2000 I know nothing other than I eventually want one,
Whats a keeper and whats not?

Most of the Ak's on the market now have American receivers and barrels which are the two most important. I know they can make decent receivers in America but I still torn on the barrels. This is just my personal preference. I have a Sa85m which has the original barrel and receiver. I also have two Russian Ak's which have the original barrel and receivers. If you don't mind to pay $750 for an Ak and you want to start at the top instead of "a good entry level Ak", SGL21 is what you want. Factory new with warranty and they are very accurate. I am in no way saying you can't pay $400 for a WASR that will function correctly.

iluv2viddyfilms
01-24-2012, 22:13

This.

I had this problem with my WASR-10 63 and I filed the tabs on the mag down and now it fits perfectly.

Aceman
01-25-2012, 10:01
This.

I had this problem with my WASR-10 63 and I filed the tabs on the mag down and now it fits perfectly.

This is nice unless you ever need to use another mag in that gun...

Good job Reckless! The beauty of the AK. An "Armorer" is anyone with a tool box!!!!