Raven Holster Advice [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Raven Holster Advice

Spartan24
01-24-2012, 00:23
I am thinking of getting a Raven holster for my G19. I am just curious if anyone one here has used them. I would be using it for EDC and also possibly for IDPA. For IDPA, I currently use a Galco Avenger and a Galco double mag holder. Setup seems to work fine. I also use the Avenger for when out hiking or roaming through less populated areas. Since it prints on me quite a bit, I don't where it for EDC around town. For that I use a Crossbreed Supertuck. The Supertuck is great, but after a few hours it just become a little uncomfortable. My belt has to be tight to hold it up and it begins to bite into my belly. Thats why I want an OWB EDC holster. I was wondering if anyone uses a Raven as such and how does it work in that role? I will be honest, I am overweight and I do have a "muffin top." Would a Raven be a better choice for me?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

EDCholsters
01-24-2012, 01:38
Absolutely.
A well made kydex holster, with a quality belt is bliss.
A kydex holster can play both iwb/owb roles with a switch of the clips.

I could go on and on...but I wont :yawn:
I know plenty of overbuilt fellas running kydex.
Good luck in your search, let me know if I can help.

DannyR
01-24-2012, 02:28
The Raven Phantom is my favorite holster. It keeps the pistol extremely close to the body. I don't know if it is IDPA legal. Lead time is long, but the holster is worth the wait.

SgtRich
01-24-2012, 02:30
I have Raven Phantom holsters for three of my pistols (G21, S&W M&P45 and Springfield Armory XD-45) and, IMO, they're the best, most adaptable holsters out there. Up until now, I've used them as OWB holsters, but I just ordered the add-ons to convert them to IWB use.

I am also a "full-figured" guy and they work VERY well for me. Very comfortable holsters.

the monk
01-24-2012, 05:03
Highly recommend Raven. I have 2. I dont know of a better holster for OWB and i have tried a lot of them.

phanzy
01-24-2012, 08:56
I use the phantom for my g26. I believe they have quick ship holsters for the 19 as well. Don't go with any other brand. I plan on getting the acr soon.

Spartan24
01-24-2012, 09:52
OK, so the reviews are good. Now, I have a few questions. I have a Surefire x300. If I want to use it for IDPA and EDC, getting it with the light attachment won't work, so that is out. Should it be in coyote or black? What would the advantage be of one color over the other? Black seems to stick out, but Coyote would to for EDC. Whats the best option for EDC?

SCSU74
01-24-2012, 09:58
i would just buy the alpha holster from DSG arms. Same holster, cheaper, and they are always in stock. dont have to wait on raven... they stock all major pistol's w/ and w/o light.

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/DSGARGLK19BK.aspx

SCSU74
01-24-2012, 09:59
edited - double post for some reason

up1911fan
01-24-2012, 11:13
I have 4 and a 5th thats in production and should be here next week. Love the holster and it's worth waiting for.

CD0311
01-25-2012, 07:12
Really like my Raven. I waited 18 weeks. http://img.tapatalk.com/aefe15b7-0d04-8020.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/aefe15b7-0d1e-7fb9.jpg Gunfightersinc.com seems to also have some really good reviews. I have emailed him with some questions seems like a good guy, my accessories will be from him.

the monk
01-25-2012, 08:27
You will get the black faster from my experience. I have a 19 with a Viridian C5L, I have a raven built for the 19 with the laser/light and if I take the light off I can still use the holster - this works better with the pancake wings as it pulls on the end better.

Here is a good look at the phantom - http://youtu.be/ZplHQWW-UEM

For my 17 without a light I got the the MD cut in coyote for IDPA and I love it!

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff482/laddmc/IMG_6709.jpg

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff482/laddmc/IMG_6710.jpg

A'boy
01-25-2012, 10:46
I don't have a Phantom, I have the ACR for AIWB and love it. I plan on getting a Phantom + mag carriers at some point though. I have an older ACR that I plan on replacing the belt clips with the newer loops.

the monk
01-25-2012, 10:55
I don't have a Phantom, I have the ACR for AIWB and love it. I plan on getting a Phantom + mag carriers at some point though. I have an older ACR that I plan on replacing the belt clips with the newer loops.

What do you think of the ACR and Appendix Carry in general. I had my first phantom before they came out with the ACR and I have been thinking about it a lot. I carry a Beretta Nano now for my EDC and was wishing they made an ACR for the Nano. If they start, I may have to pull the trigger :supergrin:

A'boy
01-25-2012, 11:49
I really like it.

Of course it took a bit before I was really confident but with plenty of practice draw/reholster and walking around with an empty weapon and hearing from others that were successful with it and following their advice I became pretty comfortable with it.

Trust your weapon and equipment, but maintain your SA and you will keep your manquipment!

I haven't been able to practice drawing and actual shooting yet(local range won't let you draw and fire from concealed holster), but I practice all the time dryfiring(I know, I know, it's not the same).

I feel more comfortable with it now than I do with my traditional Crossbreed. I feel it offers more clothing variety(for me), to carry and not have to go soo big on clothes. I am 5'7, 170#. I have a 31" waist and a 44" chest, yet I have a short torso so when I carry at 3:30-4:00, with a correct shirt I tend to look pudgy(maybe it's just my pride lol). With my ACR, I can go with just a large tshirt with a print or design on the front and it disappears completely.

Pants. I feel you don't have to go up as many sizes. The tighter the pants, the closer it will be held to your body. Of course this is all relative to body type/size. Try a pair of pants that you wear when you don't carry and then one that you do. Chances are you can find a middle sized pair if not use the smaller pair to begin with.
The ACR itself, I have bony hips so the chicago screws on the part where it connects to the farther back belt clip rubs on my hip and can get uncomforable if I'm not wearing an undershirt or boxers with a thicker elastic band. I'm going to experiment with some moleskin on the inside to negate this. I'm pretty confident it will.

You need to play with it and see what height works with your height because if you have too much "overhang" on the adjustment it will poke you in the thigh and that really hurts. Once you have it where it works for you, cut the overhang, but if you decide you don't like it, it's too late so make sure you do it right.

Spare mag. On me, the holster creates a gap on the opposite side of the buckle which I find convient for my iwb mag carrier(galco 721). It sits slightly canted towards my left and it's just a straight drop with my left hand to get it. I like this carry method more than behind my hip and employed it even when I carried 3:00-4:00.

Sorry for the detract, but I hope it helps.

the monk
01-25-2012, 11:58
I really like it.

Of course it took a bit before I was really confident but with plenty of practice draw/reholster and walking around with an empty weapon and hearing from others that were successful with it and following their advice I became pretty comfortable with it.

Trust your weapon and equipment, but maintain your SA and you will keep your manquipment!

I haven't been able to practice drawing and actual shooting yet(local range won't let you draw and fire from concealed holster), but I practice all the time dryfiring(I know, I know, it's not the same).

I feel more comfortable with it now than I do with my traditional Crossbreed. I feel it offers more clothing variety(for me), to carry and not have to go soo big on clothes. I am 5'7, 170#. I have a 31" waist and a 44" chest, yet I have a short torso so when I carry at 3:30-4:00, with a correct shirt I tend to look pudgy(maybe it's just my pride lol). With my ACR, I can go with just a large tshirt with a print or design on the front and it disappears completely.

Pants. I feel you don't have to go up as many sizes. The tighter the pants, the closer it will be held to your body. Of course this is all relative to body type/size. Try a pair of pants that you wear when you don't carry and then one that you do. Chances are you can find a middle sized pair if not use the smaller pair to begin with.
The ACR itself, I have bony hips so the chicago screws on the part where it connects to the farther back belt clip rubs on my hip and can get uncomforable if I'm not wearing an undershirt or boxers with a thicker elastic band. I'm going to experiment with some moleskin on the inside to negate this. I'm pretty confident it will.

You need to play with it and see what height works with your height because if you have too much "overhang" on the adjustment it will poke you in the thigh and that really hurts. Once you have it where it works for you, cut the overhang, but if you decide you don't like it, it's too late so make sure you do it right.

Spare mag. On me, the holster creates a gap on the opposite side of the buckle which I find convient for my iwb mag carrier(galco 721). It sits slightly canted towards my left and it's just a straight drop with my left hand to get it. I like this carry method more than behind my hip and employed it even when I carried 3:00-4:00.

Sorry for the detract, but I hope it helps.

Very helpful - thanks for the feedback

SMSgt (Ret)
01-25-2012, 12:45
They are well made holsters. However, I have had two of them and sold them both.

I don't know what your body style is, but mine is fairly trim and the Raven just takes up do much room on my belt.

Your mileage may vary.

Spartan24
01-25-2012, 13:18
So which color is better for EDC, coyote or black?

A'boy
01-25-2012, 13:31
Very helpful - thanks for the feedback

Anytime. If you have anymore questions, feel free to PM me.

So which color is better for EDC, coyote or black?

I guess that depends on what you're wearing. :tongueout:

IMHO, black is the mainstay. Khaki is tacticool. By that I mean I like it but I don't see a need for me. I kinda want to pick one up in khaki just for it to be different:cool:

YMMV

OrGlocker
01-25-2012, 13:36
Alot of GTer's all rave about the Raven holster so good for you.

SOLIDSNAK3
01-25-2012, 19:56
for those with a raven phantom or similiar holster, does your weapon easily fall out of the holster with a magazine in it if you were to wiggle the holster upside down (no round in the chamber for safety of course)

i know they're not retention holsters, but i wonder how tight in the holster a weapon should fit inside the holster.

granted, when WEARING the holster i imagine the holsters retention is better then when its not being worn.

any input on this?

Bodyarmorguy
01-25-2012, 20:18
I have two Phantom models and they are both quite secure with a postive "click" as the pistol seats. Spend a lot of time suspended by your ankles and wiggling around?:whistling:

SOLIDSNAK3
01-25-2012, 20:23
I have two Phantom models and they are both quite secure with a postive "click" as the pistol seats. Spend a lot of time suspecded by your ankle and wiggling around?:whistling:

lol! i was curious as to how the retention of the holster would work if you were to fall or trip.

the monk
01-25-2012, 20:49
for those with a raven phantom or similiar holster, does your weapon easily fall out of the holster with a magazine in it if you were to wiggle the holster upside down (no round in the chamber for safety of course)

i know they're not retention holsters, but i wonder how tight in the holster a weapon should fit inside the holster.

granted, when WEARING the holster i imagine the holsters retention is better then when its not being worn.

any input on this?

No issue at all. Watch the video I posted, he shows you the retention

Bodyarmorguy
01-26-2012, 21:19
lol! i was curious as to how the retention of the holster would work if you were to fall or trip.

You should be fine, they really are pretty secure.

CPatt44
01-26-2012, 21:44
Check out ShieldedHolsters.com too. They make a replica of the Raven Phantom for $60 shipped. I have one for each of my guns and they are just as good as the phantom, if not better. Also ONLY a 1 week turnaround instead of 18. Only downside is he only makes his in black. No other colors available right now. Here's a pic.

http://img.tapatalk.com/ad5926a8-2ba6-285c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DMF
01-26-2012, 22:41
If you get a Raven Concealment holster I recommend you ask them to make it tighter than normal. I think they call it "stiff retention." Otherwise you will end up with a holster that doesn't not secure the pistol tight enough for real world carry. This issue is why I wish they made that holster with a tension screw. A friend of mine had to send his holster back to be tightened.

As far as a kydex OWB holster for concealed carry goes, especially if you want one that is compatible with a light, they conceal great. Much better than any other kydex OWB holster I've tried. However, unless you order it tight it won't hold the gun securely enough for carry.

Ironbutt
01-26-2012, 22:56
Raven Holsters?

Well, I have one for my Sig, one in final QC for a G17, that should ship this week & two more for a 1911 & a HK P30 in line to be made.

Yeah! I like 'em.

Now i have to find somebody to buy the drawer full of holsters I've collected over the years.

the monk
01-27-2012, 05:57
Check out ShieldedHolsters.com too. They make a replica of the Raven Phantom for $60 shipped. I have one for each of my guns and they are just as good as the phantom, if not better. Also ONLY a 1 week turnaround instead of 18. Only downside is he only makes his in black. No other colors available right now. Here's a pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curious as to if you have ever owned a Raven or have a good friend that owns one?

CPatt44
01-27-2012, 13:32
Curious as to if you have ever owned a Raven or have a good friend that owns one?

I have a friend that has one. Fit and finish are the same. Same warranty too.

CD0311
01-28-2012, 08:34
They are well made holsters. However, I have had two of them and sold them both.

I don't know what your body style is, but mine is fairly trim and the Raven just takes up do much room on my belt.

Your mileage may vary.6'1" 180 no big issues concealing a G17 in a Phantom. Although I do agree it does take up a bit of room.