Dealer price for Glocks [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dealer price for Glocks

vtducrider
01-24-2012, 11:16
I went to a gun show this weekend hosted at a local hotel/conference center. The turn out was rather disappointing. I brought a spare G19 (gen 3), just to see if some kind of deal could be made. A dealer asked to check it out, and how much I was asking. I replied that I was looking for $425 for this LNIB Glock with all the original content. His eyes widened and said "I can get any new Glock for $365". I thanked him, asked for my gun back, and went on my way. This dealer was from New Hampshire, not that it would make much difference, but is it really his cost? Seems to be too much of a mark up from the sticker prices in stores. Or was he setting me up for a low ball offer?

tq_g22
01-24-2012, 11:36
I went to a gun show this weekend hosted at a local hotel/conference center. The turn out was rather disappointing. I brought a spare G19 (gen 3), just to see if some kind of deal could be made. A dealer asked to check it out, and how much I was asking. I replied that I was looking for $425 for this LNIB Glock with all the original content. His eyes widened and said "I can get any new Glock for $365". I thanked him, asked for my gun back, and went on my way. This dealer was from New Hampshire, not that it would make much difference, but is it really his cost? Seems to be too much of a mark up from the sticker prices in stores. Or was he setting me up for a low ball offer?

I know a gun dealer and his price for a new glock isn't that low, i cant recall an exact price but if i remember correctly its around 400. Sounds too good to be true. I think he was trying to scam you. But then again im in MI. yet prices shouldnt fluctuate that much...

chrisf608
01-24-2012, 11:42
Dealer price is around 440 from a distributor, but Use tax has to be added on to that. So I think he was B.S. ing you.

TN.Frank
01-24-2012, 11:46
Dealer price is around 440 from a distributor, but Use tax has to be added on to that. So I think he was B.S. ing you.

Hey, you stole my Avatar,LOL.
Join GSSF and you can get one gun a year at LEO prices. The G26 I bought came with 3 mags and was $485 out the door. I'm sure dealer would be a bit less then that though since they've got to make a few bucks, even off of an LEO price.

RenegadeGlocker
01-24-2012, 11:55

True "cost" to a dealer is hard to state, as many large volume dealers get rebates. So actual cost to a given dealer varies. But the typical "dealer price" is $440.

tq_g22
01-24-2012, 12:14
440 sounds right

1time
01-24-2012, 12:22
Join GSSF and you can get one gun a year at LEO prices. The G26 I bought came with 3 mags and was $485 out the door. I'm sure dealer would be a bit less then that though since they've got to make a few bucks, even off of an LEO price.

I think the dealers pay less for the blue label guns. I'm pretty sure the discounted price comes out of Glocks pocket, not the dealer. I know my Glock dealer has to do additional paperwork for the blue label guns to stay in compliance with Glock.

byf43
01-24-2012, 12:26

Not quite right.

LEO price for 'standard sized' Glocks (G17, 19, 22, 23, etc.) is quite a bit less than GSSF price(s) for the same models.

LEO price was $398.20, and that includes the FET.
GSSF prices are definitely higher. I THINK they are around $425.00+taxes and fees, for the same models.

LE Glocks include 3 magazines. GSSF Glocks used to include 2 magazines. Not sure about right now.
(IF I'm not mistaken, the Gen4 guns come with 3 magazines, through GSSF. I know my G26 did.)

M&P15T
01-24-2012, 12:31
His eyes widened and said "I can get any new Glock for $365". I thanked him, asked for my gun back, and went on my way. This dealer was from New Hampshire, not that it would make much difference, but is it really his cost? Seems to be too much of a mark up from the sticker prices in stores. Or was he setting me up for a low ball offer?

$365.00 for dealer cost sounds about right. And if the average price for a new GLOCK is around $525, making $170 off a pistol really isn't that much. It's not like dealers sell dozens a day.

maxpower220
01-24-2012, 12:38
That dealer was probably telling you the truth. As stated, the LEO/Military price for a G19 (and standard glocks) is around $400-415. At that price, the dealer is still making some money (not much). G36 being the most expensive "standard" Glock for about $465-480 at LEO/Military prices.

I'm not sure why people think that dealers are paying close to what they are selling to you. They have a lot of overhead (buildings, lights, employees) and a lot of money in carrying costs (all of the guns in the display or backroom), not to mention the hassle of dealing with guns and the govt. Even if your dealer "clears" $100 per gun, he has a lot of cost that must get paid out of that.

vtducrider
01-24-2012, 12:56
The biggest gun shop in my area makes $50 on guns that sell for <$600, and the $ profit goes up from there. I have paid $250 over their cost on high dollar guns, such as the SCAR. No problem there, they have overhead and hassles to deal with, and need to make a living. The owner told me he cleared $50 on a standard Glock, and I always believed him, since I was a customer when he first started out 20+ years ago with a dozen guns in his basement. There is definitely some history. So it was surprising to get very different information from the gun show.

Oh, I specifically asked him if he was talking about LEO sales, and his response was "No, regular civilian sales".

Syclone538
01-24-2012, 13:42
If dealer cost was $365, someone would be selling them online for $400. What's the cheapest you can find one for now? $500? The cheapest I've ever seen any in store was $459, that was 5 or 6 years ago.

maxpower220
01-24-2012, 13:55
LGS has Gen 3 for sale at $459 right now. My local authorized LEO GS has G26,17,19 for $409 right now. Since only certain dealers are authorized to sell at LEO prices, the dealer may get a break on the price or a kick back from Glock, I don't know about that.

srwm4
01-24-2012, 14:44
The stocking dealer program only gives dealers a discount on 15 guns a year, and even then they only save about $40 on each unit versus just buying it from a distributor. The teaser "stocking dealer" rate is $403 for a gen 3 Glock 19 with standard sights. So $40 x 15 is $600, plus another $4-500 worth of free Glock-branded shirts and hats and range bags - the program is only worth about $1,000 to a dealer.

I believe the rates for "range guns" are around the mid-$300's (Gen3), last time I checked. While there's no limit on how many a rage can purchase at these prices, they have to keep them for at least 1 full year before they can sell them, and Glock has the right to show up unannounced and demand to see the "range guns" that have been purchased in the last year to make sure they're still there.

But the crappy margins on Glocks are why the company is getting so much more proactive in enforcing it's Minimum Advertised Price agreements - a dealer can't even put a price lower than MAP on the price tag for a gun on display anymore! But yes, buy for $440 and sell for $499 (which is MAP for Gen3's) for a measly 11.8% gross margin is the general rule of thumb, unless a dealer deals in enough quantity to work out a direct purchase agreement to buy straight from the factory.

CMG
01-24-2012, 14:45
I believe pistols sold to the military and law enforcement officers avoid the federal excise tax that is added on to pistols sold to those who are not military or in law enforcement. That is one reason the price is lower. I'm sure Glock offers further discounts to maintain their market share in that area.

WiskyT
01-24-2012, 17:33
I believe pistols sold to the military and law enforcement officers avoid the federal excise tax that is added on to pistols sold to those who are not military or in law enforcement. That is one reason the price is lower. I'm sure Glock offers further discounts to maintain their market share in that area.

That is true for sales directly to the LE agency. Podunk PD buys a Glock and they don't pay the excise tax. But the Blue Label guns Glock sells to an individual officer for $398.00 have the excise tax on them.

glockthirtyFN57
01-24-2012, 17:57
Not quite right.

LEO price for 'standard sized' Glocks (G17, 19, 22, 23, etc.) is quite a bit less than GSSF price(s) for the same models.

LEO price was $398.20, and that includes the FET.
GSSF prices are definitely higher. I THINK they are around $425.00+taxes and fees, for the same models.

LE Glocks include 3 magazines. GSSF Glocks used to include 2 magazines. Not sure about right now.
(IF I'm not mistaken, the Gen4 guns come with 3 magazines, through GSSF. I know my G26 did.)

First of all, my name is Leo and ive NEVER been offered that price before. Second, im new here... FET? GSSF? Gotta be quick to keep up with the acronyms in this place

Amsdorf
01-24-2012, 18:05
No offense, but I think you made a mistake going to a gun show expecting to get $450 for a used Glock, no matter how much you would like to say it is LNIB, the fact is that it is not new and has been removed from the box.

Bruce M
01-24-2012, 19:35
First of all, my name is Leo and ive NEVER been offered that price before. Second, im new here... FET? GSSF? Gotta be quick to keep up with the acronyms in this place

Instead let's call it the first responder program i.e $ 398.30

FET may be federal excise tax and GSSF http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37

byf43
01-24-2012, 21:25

Hi Leo!!!
Unfortunately, I was referring to LEOs (Law Enforcement Officers).:supergrin:

FET = Federal Excise Tax.

GSSF = Glock Sport Shooting Foundation.

Oh . . . WTGT. (Welcome To GlockTalk!!):wavey:

MoneyMaker
01-24-2012, 22:03
25 % mark up in a gun store on new guns gentlemen,they go for $529 here for the most part in missouri so the dealer has bought them for $396

Syclone538
01-24-2012, 22:22
25 % mark up in a gun store on new guns gentlemen,they go for $529 here for the most part in missouri so the dealer has bought them for $396

396 x 1.25 = 495

maxpower220
01-25-2012, 07:55
Oh ****, public math.