Flashlight vs. extra mag [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Flashlight vs. extra mag

DeputyAlex
01-24-2012, 14:40
What would you carry if you could only choose one. I recently was at class and caught a lot grief for stating I didnít carry an extra mag or flashlight when I carry concealed. I know itís stupid and I should carry another mag, but I hate having so much crap on my belt. if I had to pick one it would be the flashlight. Im considering the surefire backup. What would you choose?

Madmax1010
01-24-2012, 14:47
extra mag!

collim1
01-24-2012, 14:52
I vote extra mag also, but carrying a small light and a mag should not be too much trouble.

I carry a spare mag up front and clip a small surefire light in a pocket.

CTfam
01-24-2012, 14:57
A spare mag is a must. A small LED is so handy and easy to carry there's no excuse. You can have 200 lumens on your key chain these days.

Patchman
01-24-2012, 14:57
If it's only one or the other, I'd pick the flashlight.

The extra mag only becomes useful if you ever need to shoot your gun for real.

The flashlight can be used pretty much on a daily basis, especially now in the winter time, when daylight is short.

Personally, I always carry an extra mag on my person and a Surefire 6P in my always carried man bag. I also have a Streamlight Nano in the pocket of every coat.

pipedreams
01-24-2012, 14:58
Ignore the grief and do what feels right for you. You know the risks of the area where you reside and what the odds are you will ever need to pull your gun let alone empty the magazine. You are more likely to need a flashlight or a knife for an emergency than a gun. I don't carry a extra magazine but have a couple in my truck. Each person needs to decide what is right for them.

eclark53520
01-24-2012, 14:58
No reason to only choose one.

Both are something you should be carrying.

nosuchagency
01-24-2012, 15:56
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j245/bcnoda/magcarriers.jpg

i like to hedge my bets (comp-tac carrier)... honestly though, i usually carry a single and a light clipped in pocket. and yes, e1b is a fantastic light. this year's model is supposedly receiving an upgrade to 200 lm.

ATW525
01-24-2012, 15:56
Extra mag. I always have one with me. That said, if i'm going to be outside after dark, I try to carry a light in addition to the mag. I'll admit that now that i live in an urban/suburban environment, I find I hardly ever need the light like I did when I was in a rural area, and I've gotten a bit lazy about carrying it.

rahrah12
01-24-2012, 15:59
This is making me reconsider what I carry...or don't carry.

I have never carried a flashlight...mainly because I have never been in an incident where I wish I had one...

I carry an extra mag most of the time...but now I need to start looking into flashlights...lol

bush pilot
01-24-2012, 16:03
No reason to only choose one.

Both are something you should be carrying.

+1, if I had to narrow it to one it would be a flashlight. Look at some of the options from Fenix, they have some great flashlights at reasonable prices.

silverado_mick
01-24-2012, 16:09
The extra mag only becomes useful if you ever need to shoot your gun for real.

Or if your baseplate comes off and dumps all the rounds in your primary mag on the deck the first time you pull the trigger. Mags fail a lot more than quality handguns do, that's why I always want a spare one with me. That said, I carry both. Every day.

up1911fan
01-24-2012, 16:30
I always carry both. Extra mag on the oposite hip of the gun is concealable and helps balance the weight of the gun. My light ( either an E1B or LX2) is clipped in the outside of my back left pocket, next to my wallet. Take's up no space on the belt, easy to get at.

cowboy1964
01-24-2012, 18:04
Spare mag. Keychain light if nothing else.

John Rambo
01-24-2012, 18:10
Are you kidding? This is a no-brainer. How often do you need a flashlight? How often have you, anyone you know, or anyone you have read about needed an extra mag?

Flashlight!

collim1
01-24-2012, 18:17
This is making me reconsider what I carry...or don't carry.

I have never carried a flashlight...mainly because I have never been in an incident where I wish I had one...

I carry an extra mag most of the time...but now I need to start looking into flashlights...lol

A flash light has a lot of uses other than SD.

Flat tire on the roadside at night, trying to exit a grocery store after a power outage or a fire fills the store with smoke, wife drops a earring on the sidewalk etc... A flashlight is just a handy thing to have on you. I use mine several times a week for something other than Identifying bad guys.

Misty02
01-24-2012, 19:24
I rather not pick, you can get a small flashlight that fits in the pocket. Needless to say, I use the flashlight often (because I seem to be the only person that carries one); the mag has seen no use outside practice/training. I carried a flashlight long before I ever carried a firearm.

BTW, I have a bigger one in my vehicle for those times more coverage is needed (like when the AAA show up because your vehicle is not working and they can’t see diddly squad because they forgot their flashlight. :upeyes:

RyanNREMTP
01-24-2012, 19:30
Why does it have to one or the other? Change depending on what you are planning to do. If it's a night on the town, then perhaps a flashlight. If you are heading to a rough part of town (I don't know why someone would want to but hey) then the extra mag.

I agree that you should find a way to carry both. I do and it's not an issue.

SCmasterblaster
01-24-2012, 19:36
A spare mag is a must. A small LED is so handy and easy to carry there's no excuse. You can have 200 lumens on your key chain these days.

Spare mag for sure; medium-sized Surefire flashlight as well :supergrin:

dosei
01-24-2012, 19:57
Flashlight...Klarus XT-11

Klarus XT11 LED 600 Lumen Tactical Flashlight Review - YouTube

unit1069
01-24-2012, 20:04
I didn't pay any attention to anything other than guns, ammo, and holsters until about six months ago when I began realizing there are a lot of factors that go into successful self-defense.

Assuming I've taken all the steps necessary to assure complete gun/ammo reliability I'll pick the small flashlight; and this is because I've satisfied myself as to the quality of my CCW gun/ammo combo. A defender has to positively ID the target and a good light with endcap button for a quick burst of light fits the bill for me.

I walk every night because of health reasons and I always carry the little micro light with me. When I get home that same light sits right above the bedside pistol. When I'm out and about carrying the light also goes with me.

Bruce M
01-24-2012, 20:20
I use the flashlight I carry with me regularly.

1smoothredneck
01-24-2012, 20:59
I carry both. I used to carry both in a SOS dual carrier, but now I just carry
in a single mag pouch and clip the flashlight in my off side pocket. It's not in
the way, and I can access it without the possibility of "flashing" the magazine.
I like the pocket carry. It also seems to "balance out" the Spyderco clipped to
my strong side pocket. FWIW, I consider the xtra mag a must more for malfunction reasons than extra ammo reasons, but I've never spoken with anyone who lived through a firefight and said "I really woulda been fine with less ammo, I might have even been able to move quicker with NO extra mags!"
Be Safe.

Warp
01-24-2012, 23:08
What would you carry if you could only choose one. I recently was at class and caught a lot grief for stating I didn’t carry an extra mag or flashlight when I carry concealed. I know it’s stupid and I should carry another mag, but I hate having so much crap on my belt. if I had to pick one it would be the flashlight. Im considering the surefire backup. What would you choose?

I currently have 3 flashlights on my person the vast majority of the time, 2 minimum, sometimes 4.

I almost never carry a spare magazine.

Being able to see things in the dark is useful...very often. Playing with flashlights is fun and can be done in almost any location and around any people.

BailRecoveryAgent
01-24-2012, 23:10
Well since I don't have to choose one or the other, I carry both. Like collim1 said, the flashlight comes in handy several times a week, if not several times a day.

I have a Streamlight Polytac LED, but lately have been carrying a little single AA 80 lumen light.

Lior
01-24-2012, 23:34
Are you kidding? This is a no-brainer. How often do you need a flashlight? How often have you, anyone you know, or anyone you have read about needed an extra mag?

Flashlight!

This.

RichM
01-25-2012, 00:32
What would you carry if you could only choose one.

That's not a choice you 'need' to make.

There are a lot small and bright flashlights to chose from.
They add very little 'baggage'.

I always have one on my keychain.
(In fact, I buy them in large enough quantities that I've given away more than 500 of them.)

I also carry a small CR123 light in my pocket and I wouldn't be without it.
(not much bigger than a tube of Chapstick)

There's still plenty of room to carry a spare mag for my G26.

(The Surefire 6P has an LED dropin from Malkoff Devices in it.)

Here are two photos I took a few years ago.
(I carry a different CR123 flashlight now.)

When I'm sitting in my vehicle, there are at least six flashlights within easy reach.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p213/hcir100/Lights/IMG_2009.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p213/hcir100/Guns/IMG_1912small.jpg

NkySpike
01-25-2012, 02:08
Put a 33rd Magazine in your gun, and then you will have room on your belt for a Flashlight.....:rofl:

fastbolt
01-25-2012, 03:21
What would you carry if you could only choose one.

I'm with the group who wonders why someone would think they had to choose only one or the other. :dunno:

Of course, I don't wear a flashlight on my belt and haven't for many years (after I began a plainclothes assignment as well as off-duty, and now in retirement).

I carry one or another of the smaller lights in a jacket, coat or pants pocket. Some of them are smaller than the vehicle transmitter key fobs I carry, and yet put out more lumens than the early bulky examples of the small palm-sized lights.

Just the other afternoon a gentleman lost his glasses in a movie theater, and discovered the light of his cellphone screen wasn't nearly bright enough to check the isles and under the seats. Finding his glasses was the work of a couple of seconds with the ultra small chipped LED light I had clipped inside the mouth of a jacket pocket (even from several feet away).

Lights are just about as handy (and as irreplaceable) as having a cellphone nowadays.

No reason to compromise the ability to carry spare ammo (mag) to carry one, though. No rule states they have to be carried on a belt. Not with the wealth of the small ones.

The last one I picked up when browsing through a light display (4Sevens QMini 123) is about the same size as my cigar punch cutter, or my Swiss Army Mini Key Chain knife, and yet it can put out 3 levels of light, up to a maximum of 180 lumens :wow: on a single CR123A battery.

You wouldn't ask yourself to choose between carrying a wallet and car keys, would you?

cadillacguns
01-25-2012, 05:30
You asked one or the other, my votes for the extra mag, however, I do carry both.

Spiffums
01-25-2012, 07:05
Everyone should carry a spare mag, for failure more than extra rounds, and a flashlight. If your never ever out at night or never go into dark places then you might could do without the light but a spare mag is like insurance or a tire, you hope you never need to use it but you carry it anyways.

ChipM
01-28-2012, 21:00
I cannot imagine a scenario where I could carry only one. That being said, i use a flashlight every day. Of course, the flashlight setup on my cell phone makes it easier to carry.

I carry both.

jr05
01-28-2012, 21:04
I carry a 4sevens mini quark AA2 clipped in my front pocket all the time, regardless of if I am carrying or not (work and other places that do not allow carry).

Agent6-3/8
01-28-2012, 22:32
I always carry an extra mag. If I'm traveling, or going to be out after dark a light comes along two. I've not found it to be an inconvenience to carry both, summer or winter.

michael e
01-28-2012, 23:02
I keep a flashlight in the vehicle, but don't carry one on me.
Carry a BUG so no extra mag on me , but another on in vehicle.
Rarely go anywhere at night if I don't have to.

NEOH212
01-29-2012, 02:40

This. :wavey:

xmanhockey7
01-29-2012, 03:50
I see no reason not to have both. Streamlight Microstream is small, lightweight, and bright.