Marlin 1892...shells flood into chamber [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 1892...shells flood into chamber

kgimbal1
01-24-2012, 21:02
Hi guys... I am brand new here. I just inherited a Marlin model 1892, produced in 1895 according to its serial number. Was probably my great grandfather's who had a ranch in Central Calif. back in the day. Anyway, here's the problem ---- if i load more than one shall in the magazine tube and work the lever, ALL the shells come zipping into the chamber, jamming the gun. If I load just ONE shell in the tube, everything works fine: the bullet loads and ejects like it should. The firing pin is broken, which is an easy fix. I don't think the broken pin is causing the problem. I'm attaching a pic, which looks just like some I've seen in the NRA museum website. I don't think there are any missing parts. So, why is this happening? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

TN.Frank
01-24-2012, 21:12
Sounds like the magazine cut off is broken or worn out. I'd take it to a gun smith and let em' look it over.

byf43
01-24-2012, 21:22
kgimbal1,

First of all, Welcome to GT!!!!

While I have no experience with the 1892, I echo what Frank said, and also I'd like to suggest giving the guys at marlinowners dot com a 'look' at your Marlin.

There's a lot of knowledgeable guys over there, that might be able to lend a hand.

Let us know about your progress in getting this old rifle back in service!!!

kgimbal1
01-24-2012, 21:31
Thanks, I was not aware of marlinowners.com... will check it out.... I have contacted a gunsmith and plan to take the gun over this weekend. Meantime, I'm curious about Franks reference to the magazine cut off. Would that be in the magazine tube? Looks to me, from the picture, that the long diagonal part, called the "carrier" (it receives the shell and sends it upward to where it is injected into the barrel) is situated as a blocker to any more than one shell coming out of the tube....anyway... thanks for your advice...i'll check out the marlin site.

TN.Frank
01-24-2012, 21:50
You'd have to do a google and get an exploded parts diagram to find out just where it is. I just remember seeing that part in my Winchester '94 when I installed a large loop lever on it many, many years ago.

MajorD
01-25-2012, 08:40
there is usually some small part that as mentioned above acts as a mag cutoff- a thin steel "finger" that interuppts magazine supply in between cycles of the lever- either it is broke or the internals are go gummed up from years of dried oil the springs which operate it are frozen.

smokeross
01-25-2012, 10:41
I would give the gun a good lube, and cycle the action repeatedly before taking it to a smith. Congratulations on the 92. Those are very collectible. Is it the .22 or .32 ?

edcrosbys
01-25-2012, 11:08
If you follow this thread there is some good info about a similar problem:
http://www.marlin-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5862

kgimbal1
01-25-2012, 19:10
Thanks for the advice --- I'll let ya'll know what happens! It's a .22....

Bill Keith
01-25-2012, 20:44
Numrich in W Hurley NY has a website and they carry all kinds of parts and have schematics as well. Here's a link to Marlin 1892 there:
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=3967

DPris
01-25-2012, 21:37
So you'll know in discussing it intelligibly with people, the chamber is the rear end of the barrel. All of the shells can't "flood" into it. :)
The chamber can only hold one round or empty brass at a time.
Denis

kgimbal1
01-27-2012, 19:22
OK, thanks for that.... I thought I had my terminology wrong... I am brand new to this world... have done lots of research in the last few days...bottom line -- this rifle is going to the gunsmith tomorrow... I've taken it apart, cleaned it, reassembled it, lubed it up... still has the same problems. I think it might be the " carrier rocker spring" that's causing the problem... will keep you informed.

kgimbal1
01-29-2012, 20:50
Well, the rifle is now at the gunsmith's. The Marlin 1892 had an 'early' and 'late' model. My research shows the 1892l was first produced in 1895, which is the year mine was made. That would make mine an 'early' model. Comparing my pin to the exploded diagrams I have checked - (thanks for the links) the broken firing pin looks to me to be a 'late' model pin. Maybe that's why it broke. I can imagine my great grandfather replacing the original firing pin years after he purchased the rifle and unknowingly getting the wrong one. I don't think this gun has been fired in probably 80 years... My dad, who is 85, cannot recall his dad ever firing it. It has just been sitting, 'broken,' for all these decades. The gunsmith figures about $50.00 will put it back in action.