PMC Starfire 180 Grain Hollow Point. Anyone know anything about it??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : PMC Starfire 180 Grain Hollow Point. Anyone know anything about it???

theblakester
01-24-2012, 22:53
I'm looking for some good home defense ammo for my Gen4 G22. I saw the reported ballistics for this ammo here http://stevespages.com/page8f40sw.html and it appears to have great expansion and good penetration. Does anyone have any personal experience using it? Is it reliable? Is it effective?
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2PMC40SFA-1.html

NG VI
01-24-2012, 23:05
Believe it's the predecessor to the HST by Federal, both designed by Tom Burczynski, probably misspelled. They've been out of production for probably ten years, get Federal HST instead. It's more newer, more better, than the Starfire, while retaining the features of the design that are great, like the sweet expansion.

Also they will be cheaper. Much, much cheaper. Try ammunitiontogo.com, tds-us.com, and mah distributors.

Personally I like the 180 grain best, it seems to expand the most.

Merkavaboy
01-25-2012, 09:50
As mentioned above, Tom Burczynski was the designer of the Starfire bullet. It was loaded by El Dorado Cartridge which was located in Boulder City, Nevada (parent company was PMC). The original Starfire ammo was loaded in nickel cases usually headstamped with "ELD", though some cases were made with the PMC headstamp.

PMC of S.Korea continues to load and sell ammo using the Starfire bullet. Cases are now standard brass.

From what I remember reading in the past this bullet design has a problem of clogging up with debris because of the "flutes" inside the HP cavity.

Personally I'd skip this bullet design and go with something else.

390ish
01-25-2012, 19:01
The 180 grain load in 10mm was a-ok.

hotpig
01-26-2012, 08:25
I used to have a news paper link to one of my customers that put two 380 Stafires into the chest of a felon permanently ending his career.

Like others have posted the HST is a updated and very similar version of this load. If I had A limited choice between the two I would take the HST as primary and the PMC as SHTF ammo.

collim1
01-26-2012, 10:25
I carried the Starfires many years ago. They were my first SD round when I started carrying. At the time they were a good round and came highly reccomended, but are outdated now.

They would still work, but HST, Gold Dot, Ranger, and PDX1 would be a better choice IMO.

I still have a box of .40 and .45 Starfires. I need to shoot them up but I guess I am holding onto them for nostalgia.