Juror Jailed for Bringing Gun to Court [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Juror Jailed for Bringing Gun to Court

TBO
01-25-2012, 02:59
http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/01/24/3684995/dfw-briefs-burleson-woman-arrested.html

mdsn969
01-25-2012, 03:10
It still surprises me how few people know their local laws concerning CCW :shocked:

Misty02
01-25-2012, 04:58
From the article I canít tell if she has a carry license or not, then again as it is mentioned in it, it is a moot point.

My inclination would be to give people the benefit of the doubt when they are out of state and carry places where their state would normally allow. Itís not right, but I can kind of understand it...... but a courtroom? geeezzzz Isnít that one prohibited everywhere?

jeffyjeff
01-25-2012, 06:09
but a courtroom? geeezzzz Isnít that one prohibited everywhere?

in some places, the court houses have secure lockup so you can check a gun in if you have to go into the building. in other places, it's a crime just to walk in the front door and ask.

personally, i think if they're going to prohibit guns in those buildings, they should have to provide a means to secure your weapon while you're inside.

pipedreams
01-25-2012, 06:48
My inclination would be to give people the benefit of the doubt when they are out of state and carry places where their state would normally allow. Itís not right, but I can kind of understand it...... but a courtroom? geeezzzz Isnít that one prohibited everywhere?.

This is my thinking out of state or in state. Normal law abiding citizens that have no intentions of committing crimes should be given a stern warning and sent on their way. You can't fix stupid but do they deserve a criminal record. A good example is the medical student that got in trouble in NYC will most likely never be able to become a doctor. Is that what we want, and we wonder why some people are so anti LE. This reminds me of the zero tolerance policies in schools where no common sense is applied and we wonder what is happening to our country.

Misty02
01-25-2012, 15:20
in some places, the court houses have secure lockup so you can check a gun in if you have to go into the building. in other places, it's a crime just to walk in the front door and ask.

personally, i think if they're going to prohibit guns in those buildings, they should have to provide a means to secure your weapon while you're inside.

That is true, Iíve read about it here often. I guess if they have metal detectors, then just tell the person they canít go in armed and must leave it in the locker. In absence of metal detectors though, the person would have to be the one that initiates contact and requests the firearm be kept in a locker while they go inside.

In this particular case deputies spotted it during the screening process, she was still in the lobby/foyer; why not tell her she canít go in with it?

NEOH212
01-26-2012, 04:07
It still surprises me how few people know their local laws concerning CCW :shocked:

This X 1,000!

Seriously, it's the responsibility of each person that carries a firearm to be up to date on the law and understand it fully before hand.

:agree:

Misty02
01-26-2012, 05:52
This X 1,000!

Seriously, it's the responsibility of each person that carries a firearm to be up to date on the law and understand it fully before hand.

:agree:
Do all judges, lawyers, police officers and any others entrusted to enforce the law know all the laws? Do you know all the laws? I know I donít. I know a few and pray that using common sense without ever consciously trying to harm another is sufficient to keep me out of troubleÖÖ. but is it really?

Before I had a license to carry I used to have a full size kitchen knife in my vehicle and a pocket knife in my purse for utility purposes (opening packages, cutting thing, etc.). I didnít know it then (and I wouldnít know it now if it wasnít for a local forum I participate in) but in spite preemption for firearms, there is none in my state for knives. Each county/city code must be carefully reviewed as they vary. I still carry a pocket knife and make sure that is never longer than 2 inches, because I donít know all the various county/city codes that exist and I donít want to put my license at risk. I donít even carry a knife for self-defense; it is just to cut every-day stuff. Iíve used it often and lent it to other people for the same purpose.

I too am one of those people that donít know all the laws in my state about everything. If it wasnít because I started carrying so late in life and Iíve zeroed in firearm laws by being a member in two forums, GT being the general one and another dealing specifically with local laws, I wouldnít know what I know today either.

In Florida, the average non-licensed to carry firearm owner that lives in a condo may not know they canít step outside their unit and into common grounds armed to check out a disturbance. They can do so as part of the trip when they bought their firearm, to take it for repair, to go to the range and a few other instances, but not for other reasons. Where single dwellings are concerned, they may not know that if their neighbor is in trouble they canít cross past their property line armed to help.

When Iím not sure, I exaggerate whatever I know, just to be on the safe side. That is the case nearly daily when I pick up my grandson in school. I believe Iím safe in that indentation they made on the sidewalk so people can park without blocking traffic; however, my confidence level in that kind of interpretation is not high enough, so I just park across the street (just in case). There is what appears to be a private street (Iím not sure) separating the school and the parking lot. I donít know for sure if that separated parking lot would constitute ďany elementary or secondary school facility or administration buildingĒ so I stay clear from it, to be on the safe side. I exaggerate other measures often because I donít know for sure.

So my question, are you and all others here so above average that you all fully understand the law before hand? Is it possible that most of us are just trying to do the best we can with what we know but it is still possible weíll make headlines one day?

Caver 60
01-26-2012, 09:29
Do all judges, lawyers, police officers and any others entrusted to enforce the law know all the laws? Do you know all the laws? I know I donít. I know a few and pray that using common sense without ever consciously trying to harm another is sufficient to keep me out of troubleÖÖ. but is it really?

Before I had a license to carry I used to have a full size kitchen knife in my vehicle and a pocket knife in my purse for utility purposes (opening packages, cutting thing, etc.). I didnít know it then (and I wouldnít know it now if it wasnít for a local forum I participate in) but in spite preemption for firearms, there is none in my state for knives. Each county/city code must be carefully reviewed as they vary. I still carry a pocket knife and make sure that is never longer than 2 inches, because I donít know all the various county/city codes that exist and I donít want to put my license at risk. I donít even carry a knife for self-defense; it is just to cut every-day stuff. Iíve used it often and lent it to other people for the same purpose.

I too am one of those people that donít know all the laws in my state about everything. If it wasnít because I started carrying so late in life and Iíve zeroed in firearm laws by being a member in two forums, GT being the general one and another dealing specifically with local laws, I wouldnít know what I know today either.

In Florida, the average non-licensed to carry firearm owner that lives in a condo may not know they canít step outside their unit and into common grounds armed to check out a disturbance. They can do so as part of the trip when they bought their firearm, to take it for repair, to go to the range and a few other instances, but not for other reasons. Where single dwellings are concerned, they may not know that if their neighbor is in trouble they canít cross past their property line armed to help.

When Iím not sure, I exaggerate whatever I know, just to be on the safe side. That is the case nearly daily when I pick up my grandson in school. I believe Iím safe in that indentation they made on the sidewalk so people can park without blocking traffic; however, my confidence level in that kind of interpretation is not high enough, so I just park across the street (just in case). There is what appears to be a private street (Iím not sure) separating the school and the parking lot. I donít know for sure if that separated parking lot would constitute ďany elementary or secondary school facility or administration buildingĒ so I stay clear from it, to be on the safe side. I exaggerate other measures often because I donít know for sure.

So my question, are you and all others here so above average that you all fully understand the law before hand? Is it possible that most of us are just trying to do the best we can with what we know but it is still possible weíll make headlines one day?

You got that right. Best thing our legislators could do is repeal a bunch of the stupid laws we have.

And quit making so many things felonies. Somebody posted the other day that failure to wear glasses, when there is a drivers license restriction for glasses, is a felony in their state.

Good grief.

Atomic Punk
01-26-2012, 10:01
washington state.

i usually have my gun with me when i go to the local courthouse. they have metal detectors and officers at every entrance also. i just go in the back door where they have the firearm lockup. tell them i am carrying and put it in a locker which they lock up and give me a brass claim tag.
they usually say thank you. last time had a short chat with one of them asking about my gun and how often i train.

Lior
01-26-2012, 10:27
Like crossing a state line, entering a building should not be a felony.

SPIN2010
01-26-2012, 10:45
I got dimissed from jury duty for bringing a reloading manual to court.

Works everytime (make sure they see it early so you are out by lunchtime). :supergrin:

HoldHard
01-26-2012, 12:16

Works everytime (make sure they see it early so you are out by lunchtime). :supergrin:I'll have to remember that one....

HH

auto-5
01-26-2012, 12:38

Works everytime (make sure they see it early so you are out by lunchtime). :supergrin:

American Rifleman works too.

pizza_pablo
01-26-2012, 12:45
I feel this way about my workplace.
I work on a US Navy base. Gun are STRICTLY prohibited. We have MUCH base security, so I don't feel unprotected while at work.
However, I drive 30 miles to and from. I don't neccessarily feel in danger, during my commute, but I don't plan on having a flat tire, either, but always have a spare tire, in my trunk.
When I was stationed at NAS Jacksonville, FL (circa 1992), there were actually gun lockers, just outside the main gate, at the security/ Pass & ID office.
I don't see why there cannot be lockers for CCW guns at all bases, or all workplaces, that have restrictions, for that matter. If for no other, additional argument, it would give a couple folks a job, in manning the gun locker room.
OK, stepping off soapbox :soap:

rjflyn
01-26-2012, 13:01
Der ta Der, every court house i've been to in the last 10 years has been clearly posted at the door- no firearms, some even post no cell phones, cameras and smoking. And I forgot it dont fly.

Rally Vincent
01-26-2012, 13:10
Good. That individual is obviously an idiot.

PAGunner
01-26-2012, 14:18
Fact is nobody knows all the laws, that includes cops, judges and lawyers. There are WAY too many laws. This woman should have been smarter, but that said, in some states courthouses have a place to check your firearm in, like in PA, common practice in the bitter clinger state.

It really surprises me how hard Texas comes down on people who walk into a courthouse with a gun, maybe she thought she could check her firearm in? Perhaps she previously lived in a state where that was common practice.

trashcat
01-26-2012, 15:47
This is a bit strange coming from Texas, ccw to jury duty bad, ccw to the capitol building and you get to use the express entrance.