Fair price. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Fair price.

okie
01-25-2012, 08:09
This chick that lives in my apt complex also works at Wal Mart, on the same shift also. She asked me today if she could ride with me, she would be riding Sunday-Tuesday. What would be a fair price to help with the gas:headscratch:

tous
01-25-2012, 08:10
chili dogs.

Geko45
01-25-2012, 08:16
Distance from your place to work multiplied by 2 = Miles driven per work day.
Divide by your estimated MPG for your vehicle = Gallons used per work day
Multiply by current price of gas = Dollars spent per work day
Divide by 2 = Her share if car pooling per day
Multiply by number of days per month she will be riding with you = Her share per month

(Divide final answer by ten if she is cute and single)

costanza187
01-25-2012, 08:25
The price is based upon how she looks.

Z71bill
01-25-2012, 08:25
Per BHO - 30% of her gross income is a "fair" amount.

It will cost you nothing to let her ride

It would cost her a lot if she had to buy a car

I would make it simple $5 or $10 a week -

M&P15T
01-25-2012, 08:28
Per BHO - 30% of her gross income is a "fair" amount.

It will cost you nothing to let her ride

It would cost her a lot if she had to buy a car

I would make it simple $5 or $10 a week -

One could also point out that doing things to help people is...well......nice.

kirgi08
01-25-2012, 08:28
:needspics:

costanza187
01-25-2012, 08:32
One could also point out that doing things to help people is...well......nice.

Cash, Grass, or ***, nobody rides for free :tongueout:

Chuche2
01-25-2012, 08:37
Taco Bell.

DanaT
01-25-2012, 08:41
What kind of car and what does she look like? Does she make the car look better or does the car make her look better? Single?

-Dana

tehan2
01-25-2012, 08:41
you could use the barter system....
:devildance::devildance::whistling:

Alcoy
01-25-2012, 08:42
I would let her ride for free.

Many moons ago before we moved, it would take me 5 mins to mow my lawn. I cut the adjacent's neighbor's yards on both sides when I cut the grass. Occassionally, the lady next door gives my wife homemade muffins and other bake stuff.

I don't do it now for my neighbors. It takes me 1.5 hours to mow my yard.

true believer
01-25-2012, 08:45
same shift, going same place at the same time why charge at all??
:whistling::wavey:

RenoF250
01-25-2012, 08:54
I would say free. She will likely offer. Just make it clear you are not going to let her make you late. Why aren't you alternating driving? She does not have a car?

Mayhem like Me
01-25-2012, 08:56

This .. I had that sticker under the dash of my 71 charger in high school... that and the keep on truckin guy...

Glock19Fan
01-25-2012, 08:57
If she is annoying, $200

If she is nice, $40

ChuteTheMall
01-25-2012, 08:57
How's her teefs?

Bilbo Bagins
01-25-2012, 09:00
How's her teefs?

Damn it beat me to it :rofl:

okie
01-25-2012, 09:06
Distance from your place to work multiplied by 2 = Miles driven per work day.
Divide by your estimated MPG for your vehicle = Gallons used per work day
Multiply by current price of gas = Dollars spent per work day
Divide by 2 = Her share if car pooling per day
Multiply by number of days per month she will be riding with you = Her share per month

What the hell do you think I am a mathematician:shocked::rofl::rofl:

okie
01-25-2012, 09:08
I would say free. She will likely offer. Just make it clear you are not going to let her make you late. Why aren't you alternating driving? She does not have a car?

She has a vehicle, but she doesn't like driving:supergrin:

okie
01-25-2012, 09:09
How's her teefs?

Haven't paid attention:dunno:

Santa CruZin
01-25-2012, 09:13
Be the nice guy you already are and carpool her for free.

Hines57
01-25-2012, 09:19
Not happening. Drive time is my time, I don't need anybody else interrupting. If you really feel you have to, tell her maybe once a week or so. The chances for bad seem to outweigh the chances for good stuff. Know that every single thing you say will now be blown out of proportion and spread across work. You will also have to listen to all of her complaints about work and get brought into all of her drama.

No thanks.

GLWyandotte
01-25-2012, 09:21
you could use the barter system....
:devildance::devildance::whistling:

yup yup yup.

goatranch
01-25-2012, 09:25
Haven't paid attention:dunno:

Tickle her and find out. Tell her that you will trade her rides for keeping your Bravia at her place.

KarlThomas
01-25-2012, 09:29
I always used to drive a guy that had no car home from work for a six pack a week.
I drove a woman home from work for a while for free, but she was a single mom with medical issues working for near minimum wage. She needed all the help she could get.

Steve0853
01-25-2012, 09:38
Okie, my initial thought would be to let her ride free. I imagine she's in a situation where every little bit helps.

But....people often take advantage of a person who would do that and you could end up either being late or riding her all over town for one reason or another.

After thinking it over, I believe I would charge her $2 per day (if round trip is less than 12 miles). I would also make it clear from the beginning that I wouldn't be late for work and I wouldn't be riding all over town for her errands.

That $2 won't dent her budget, but yet she'll know she is getting something that has value and (maybe) won't take it for granted.

iontrap
01-25-2012, 09:42
Take her car and let her gas it up, that way you aren't getting the short end of the deal.

pugman
01-25-2012, 09:45
Okie, my initial thought would be to let her ride free. I imagine she's in a situation where every little bit helps.

But....people often take advantage of a person who would do that and you could end up either being late or riding her all over town for one reason or another.

After thinking it over, I believe I would charge her $2 per day (if round trip is less than 12 miles). I would also make it clear from the beginning that I wouldn't be late for work and I wouldn't be riding all over town for her errands.

That $2 won't dent her budget, but yet she'll know she is getting something that has value and (maybe) won't take it for granted.

Someone beat me to it.

Sure its a nice thing to do...but what if she starts coming out to meet you late...or starts to ask "hey on the way home can we stop at X"

If you can make peace with all that...$5-10 is more than fair. Round trip bus fare if available would probably run $3.50 a day and she doesn't have to sit next to some drunk

If she looks like Megan Fox well...you might have to pay her to be seen in the Okie mobile

KiloBravo
01-25-2012, 09:57
Not happening. Drive time is my time, I don't need anybody else interrupting. If you really feel you have to, tell her maybe once a week or so. The chances for bad seem to outweigh the chances for good stuff. Know that every single thing you say will now be blown out of proportion and spread across work. You will also have to listen to all of her complaints about work and get brought into all of her drama.

No thanks.

THIS! Absolutely, 100% this!

I will certainly give somebody a ride to or from some place if it is on my way, and it is not an every day request free of charge. Call me selfish and paranoid, or whatever else...but drive time is MY time, and I sure as hell would not want any accusations to be made from somebody of the opposite sex that I don't know when I piss her off for not wanting to run her errands on the way to work.

Just my $0.02.

argy1182
01-25-2012, 10:14
I wouldn't ask for anything. Let her throw some money your way here and there on her own accord.

If you're tight on money, then that changes things a bit and I would go with a flat amount per week to keep it easy...$10 or so.

ChuteTheMall
01-25-2012, 10:41
Is she married? Have any kids? Can she cook? Does she vote? Baggage?

byf43
01-25-2012, 10:53
There's some really good responses here, Okie.

Keep this in mind.
My wife helped a (former) neighbor get a job, at the company we work for.
(We've known this guy's parents since they moved in, across the street.)

Long story short, I offered to let this guy ride with us until he got used to the commute into DC.

The first week. . . everything was great.
The second week. . . . he started showing up (at our house) later and later.
(We are out-the-door every morning, no later than 5:45 a.m. If I'm not on the road by 6:00 a.m., I'm late. I HATE to be late. I want to be at work, at least 15 minutes before 'start time'. If I leave at 5:45 a.m., I'm at work by 6:40 a.m.. . . 20 minutes early.)

This guy never offered to help with gas. Not once.

Unless you have an agreement as to what time you leave home, etc., be prepared to be known as a 'chauffeur'.
(Set a time, and stick to it. Five minutes - o.k. Seven minutes. . . "I'm gone.")

MrKandiyohi
01-25-2012, 10:57
Take her car and let her gas it up, that way you aren't getting the short end of the deal.

That's not a bad idea, or alternate cars and you drive each day.

okie
01-25-2012, 16:54
Is she married? Have any kids? Can she cook? Does she vote? Baggage?

Don't know:dunno::supergrin:

okie
01-25-2012, 16:57
If this chick was having problems I would help her in a minute, but she's not down and out. She has a vehicle but just doesn't like to drive, so I don't see a problem with having her chip just a tad:thumbsup:

southernshooter
01-25-2012, 17:01
She has a vehicle, but she doesn't like driving:supergrin:

You could drive her car and pay some for the gas. Prolly gets better mileage than your truck.

IndyGunFreak
01-25-2012, 17:12

This is my feeling. I've given rides to people so often that live nearby.. I don't even think to ask them for gas money. Most have usually offered 10-20 bucks a week for the offer.

Did she ask you how much you wanted, or are you asking how much you should "ask" her for?

G23Gen4TX
01-25-2012, 17:14

HHHHHAAAAMMM!!!! She works at Walmart. You need to multiply by 5 because of her weight.

fnfalman
01-25-2012, 17:17
Does she have a hot sister?

smokin762
01-25-2012, 17:25
I wouldnít bother with it.

I did the car pool thing for a while. I didnít charge them anything and they lived close by. I just stopped off to pick them up on my way to work.

While my gesture was meant to be a good deed, it unfortunately turned out to be an inconvenience and I had to put a stop to it. Then I was labeled as the bad guy. I feel itís just not acceptable to allow other people to make me late for work or to take advantage of my generosity.

After a while they started bad habits. At first, it was the simple things like they wanted me to stop off at the Gas Station which was off my path. Then they started running late and was not ready when I rolled up to pick them up. Then they started to want me to leave work early because they didnít feel good and wanted to go home. Later, they wanted me to take them to the grocery store after work, since after all we were already in the car.

rahrah12
01-25-2012, 17:30
Sounds like you aren't making any extra trips...I wouldn't charge her anything.

If she starts making you late I would say maybe 5-10$ inconvenience fee...

I'M Glockamolie
01-25-2012, 17:35
Just covering gas doesn't really cut it, but would probably work for you. You get the car maintenance, the repairs, the added mileage to your vehicle, etc.

You could go for the Federal mileage reimbursement rate, which I think is still $.51/mile.

Or just ask for $2 a day or something.

emopunker2004
01-25-2012, 17:38
half the gas

Magnus2131
01-25-2012, 17:39
Just had a flashback to the 70's. :supergrin:

huskerbuttons
01-25-2012, 19:11
What the hell do you think I am a mathematician:shocked::rofl::rofl:

No, but you should ask her if she likes to multiply.:whistling:

true believer
01-25-2012, 19:25
This is my feeling. I've given rides to people so often that live nearby.. I don't even think to ask them for gas money. Most have usually offered 10-20 bucks a week for the offer.

Did she ask you how much you wanted, or are you asking how much you should "ask" her for?

i have a friend, when we use to work together he would drive a week and i would drive the next..thats what friends do for each other..
you never know when you might need help..
:whistling:

Zonny
01-25-2012, 19:48
You posted a few days ago that you use 1/4 tank of gas every two weeks and you want to charge the person? Is it costing you any more to drive the few blocks/miles that you drive, with her in the vehicle?

What goes around, comes around. If she starts taking advantage of the situation, end it. Otherwise, give her a damn ride. There is value in just being nice, being a friend. You don't need to profit from every situation that comes along.

Rooster Rugburn
01-25-2012, 21:28
Depends on how far the drive is. I would shoot for a little less than half of the gas bill to and from work.

Back in the day, the rider would offer a little over half to offset the wear on the vehicle.

Maybe you could switch off vehicles. If she just doesn't like to drive, then you drive her car every other week.

Rooster Rugburn
01-25-2012, 21:29
You posted a few days ago that you use 1/4 tank of gas every two weeks and you want to charge the person? Is it costing you any more to drive the few blocks/miles that you drive, with her in the vehicle?

What goes around, comes around. If she starts taking advantage of the situation, end it. Otherwise, give her a damn ride. There is value in just being nice, being a friend. You don't need to profit from every situation that comes along.

I didn't see this before replying, but I agree. 1\2 a tank a month?

USMCsilver
01-25-2012, 21:39

Bob, agreed to an extent. However, there's always drama and it'll end up costing Mark some extra time in the end, I ga-run-damn-tee ya! i.e. her running late before work, or after. Or her wanting to "swing by to pick up" something from the store on the way home. Or anything else. Better to put a price up front.

FWIW, I'm all for helping out someone, but these days, too many people take advantage of such offers.

DoubleWide
01-25-2012, 22:23
It doesn't sound like you drive far or use much gas, so do you always want to drive? One option would be to switch weeks of driving.

It can be a pain, set rules. Remember sometimes, you'll end up waiting for them at work so you can leave. As for going to work, since she has her own vehicle, you can just say that you're leaving at a certain time whether or not she's there. The gas station is a common just a quick stop.

A little payment is good, but it's can also be pain to collect and dividing point.

Christian944
01-25-2012, 23:47
*insert tv bravia joke or teeth joke in every thread involving girls*

....... gets old.

To answer your question, you let her ride for free unless she is annoying or fat.

LippCJ7
01-26-2012, 00:01
Okie is holding out, that means "shes got a great personality"

Clydesdale
01-26-2012, 00:59
I personally wouldn't charge her a dime. Just make it clear what time you like to leave and that she should be on time and ready to go everyday.

By showing her a kind gesture of letting her hitch a ride back and forth to work with you, maybe she will repay the favor by cooking you dinner from time to time.

If after 1 day you don't feel comfortable or dont like her company, then by all means just tell her this isn't going to work out. I would imagine if you aren't comfortable with the way things are she probably isn't either.

Try it for a week and see. You might make a nice friend out of this.

skanless
01-26-2012, 01:07

^ This x 1000. :cheers:

Zagato
01-26-2012, 01:47
I bet this is a young chick? Call me cynical, but "I dont like to drive" sounds a hell of a lot like "Im going take advantage of a really nice guy because its convenient for me, who I know isnt trying to sleep with me". You seem like a really good dude Okey, and I think she sees it as a weakness. Be careful.

JuneyBooney
01-26-2012, 02:11
The price is based upon how she looks.

I agree. :rofl:The old saying was, "Ass or grass. nobody rides for free". That is an old one. :rofl:I don't know Okie. I would charge her a bit when she rides with you. Just play it by ear but don't let yourself be taken advantage of by her.

goldenlight
01-26-2012, 04:19
To make it really fair, she should drive half of the time.

It's REALLY hard to figure the actual cost of driving, such as replacing tires, brakes, shocks and struts, and repair costs. Just gasoline cost is only a FRACTION of the cost of driving.

But if she drove half the time, you would EACH be putting less miles on your car/truck.

AAA says it costs around 50 cents a mile, for my compact car, when you factor in all costs.

ATL Peach Girl
01-26-2012, 05:03
This chick that lives in my apt complex also works at Wal Mart, on the same shift also. She asked me today if she could ride with me, she would be riding Sunday-Tuesday. What would be a fair price to help with the gas:headscratch: how about she rides with you one week on those days, then the next week you ride with her on those days.....that way you guys are only putting half as many miles on your cars.........

ATL Peach Girl
01-26-2012, 05:04
To make it really fair, she should drive half of the time.

It's REALLY hard to figure the actual cost of driving, such as replacing tires, brakes, shocks and struts, and repair costs. Just gasoline cost is only a FRACTION of the cost of driving.

But if she drove half the time, you would EACH be putting less miles on your car/truck.

AAA says it costs around 50 cents a mile, for my compact car, when you factor in all costs. +1.

didn't see your post......but I agree.

Down here in the big city, the people that car-pool do so by taking turns.....1 person drives 1 week, the other person drives the next week.

Geeorge
01-26-2012, 05:21
I'd want a box of 45 auto every two weeks,she can buy it at walmart and use her employee discount

southernshooter
01-26-2012, 05:27
I wouldnít bother with it.

I did the car pool thing for a while. I didnít charge them anything and they lived close by. I just stopped off to pick them up on my way to work.

While my gesture was meant to be a good deed, it unfortunately turned out to be an inconvenience and I had to put a stop to it. Then I was labeled as the bad guy. I feel itís just not acceptable to allow other people to make me late for work or to take advantage of my generosity.

After a while they started bad habits. At first, it was the simple things like they wanted me to stop off at the Gas Station which was off my path. Then they started running late and was not ready when I rolled up to pick them up. Then they started to want me to leave work early because they didnít feel good and wanted to go home. Later, they wanted me to take them to the grocery store after work, since after all we were already in the car.

Been there and done that. Had to tell them I would stop out in front of their house at 7:00, at 7:05 I'm down the road.

Timotheous46
01-26-2012, 05:34
for free, it's not costing you anything extra. If she's late, you can leave her to drive her own car. Be carefull, if you charge, some states consider you to be a taxi and require fees to be paid and it could affect your car insurance coverage.

kirgi08
01-26-2012, 06:56
i have a friend, when we use to work together he would drive a week and i would drive the next..thats what friends do for each other..
you never know when you might need help..
:whistling:

Hey Mark,Bob is right.I can't believe I just posted that.'08. :faint: :whistling:

Mornin Bob. :wavey:

okie
01-26-2012, 07:58
It doesn't sound like you drive far or use much gas, so do you always want to drive? One option would be to switch weeks of driving.

It can be a pain, set rules. Remember sometimes, you'll end up waiting for them at work so you can leave. As for going to work, since she has her own vehicle, you can just say that you're leaving at a certain time whether or not she's there. The gas station is a common just a quick stop.

A little payment is good, but it's can also be pain to collect and dividing point.
I would drive all the time:supergrin:

okie
01-26-2012, 07:59
how about she rides with you one week on those days, then the next week you ride with her on those days.....that way you guys are only putting half as many miles on your cars.........

She doesn't like to drive, Keely honey:kiss::hugs:

MLM
01-26-2012, 08:27
Being that you're both heading to the same place at the same time, I don't think I would charge her anything. Reason being it ain't costing you nothing to let her ride along.
I would make it a point to see if she would just meet you at your ride at the appointed time and not have to swing around to pick her up. I'm assuming being in the same apartment complex means ya'lls places are within walking distance. Also stress the agreement is only to and from work, no side trips. If she has something she needs doing, she needs to drive herself in that day and let you know about it in advance.
Another point you might like to explore is the possibility of you driving her car (since she doesn't like to drive) once in a while to help even out the expense.
Sometimes it's nice to have company just because.