Terawatt by Des Michaels [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Terawatt by Des Michaels

UneasyRider
01-25-2012, 12:50
Just finished this book that was .99 cents on amazon kindle (you can download and read kindle books to your computer too) and it was a pretty good book. Really exciting and kept moving at a fast pace on just about every page.

It's a CME story about a man who is in TX and his wife and son are in TN with family when it hits and he has to make his way (1,000 miles) to them. The best part is that he is not a prepper rather just the opposite... he is clueless in the begining but he's a smart guy who picks things up fast.

Just in case your looking for a decent read.

crunchless
01-25-2012, 22:16
Thanks for the tip! Just picked it up. $0.99 makes it pretty easy, even if it turns out to be crap. But it does look good. This is the type of thing that I can give my wife and make her want to be more prepared.

thejellster05
01-25-2012, 22:53
I just bought it too. If its crap you owe me a buck and I want paid in .22LR.

:)

UneasyRider
01-26-2012, 04:02
I just bought it too. If its crap you owe me a buck and I want paid in .22LR.

:)

Darn! I should have had one of you lawyers put in a disclaimer for me!

I enjoyed it quite a bit, hope you do to. I really like that the main character is such an everyman and not even a little bit of a prepper. Plus the author is very well informed himself. So you better like it because I am not going to give you a buck! Nice way to buy a book though isn't it.

schild
01-26-2012, 06:09
Thanks, I love getting good reads for .99 cents on my Kindle.
Now if I could get caught up on my reading............

thejellster05
01-26-2012, 21:43
Up to chapter 13 today and loving it. -I think it might be up there with One Second After......

wjv
01-26-2012, 22:53
On that page there were links to another book:

Invasion: Alaska by Vaughn Heppner

Lots of good reviews. Looks liek he has written several interesting books. .

quake
01-27-2012, 06:19
Thanks for the heads-up. Especially for 99 cents, it's pretty good so far.

UneasyRider
01-27-2012, 06:46
Thanks for the heads-up. Especially for 99 cents, it's pretty good so far.

Glad that you guys are liking it! I found it a good read and different than your average distopian story.

Teasip63
01-29-2012, 09:15
I bought this for my Kindle and I am half way through it. I am enjoying it so far and am glad that I have it.

What makes it unique for me is that I live in the neighborhood where he describes that his home is located in Coppell, Texas. I am familar with all of the businesses, locations, streets and highways he is describing such as having to go up hill on his bike on Lodge Street. I go up that street every day and he is right, it would be a real climb on a bike.

But I also like the story and will look for his other writing.

thejellster05
02-01-2012, 20:34
Just finished it. Without spoiling anything I think the first half was the best part... Still not bad for a buck though!

UneasyRider
02-02-2012, 05:03
Just finished it. Without spoiling anything I think the first half was the best part... Still not bad for a buck though!

I agree, not a bad read but I liked the road trip best.

quake
02-02-2012, 06:41
Agreed. The short, clipped-sentence writing style was a minor distraction at first, but once I got past noticing that it was good. More than 99 cents worth of good, at least... :)

Glock Man_G19
02-04-2012, 12:00
Thanks for the suggestion. It was a pretty good read.

Maybe we could start a sticky about good cheap Survival Kindle books?

UneasyRider
02-04-2012, 13:03
Thanks for the suggestion. It was a pretty good read.

Maybe we could start a sticky about good cheap Survival Kindle books?

Good idea!

Sgt. Rambo
02-04-2012, 14:13
Just bought it for my wife's Kindle. She's becoming a better S&Per than me...lol Thanks for the suggestion....
While I'm here if anyone is going to Amazon, and could simply click on "Crossing the Line" by Glenn Rambo (me) there is a button on the right side to push to request it published for Kindle. Both of my novels are still only in Paperback but I'm in the process of getting those two plus my current manuscrip in e-format. Thanks.

Chucktown Mako
02-09-2012, 16:03
Thanks Uneasy Rider for suggesting this one. I have gone through tons of the survival novels on kindle recently and most have been disappointing. I even ventured into some zombies for the last two books. Blah!
I liked the last ones you suggested, Deep Winter Series, so I will give Terawatt a shot.
If I can contribute any that I have even remotely enjoyed, the closest would be the "Renewal" series. There are 9 or 10 short novels for $1. Couple other ones that were almost worth it were "Apocalypse Law" and another by the same author.

Chucktown Mako
02-09-2012, 16:05
Crap, it's gone up to $2.99! I am a cheap b@st@rd.

UneasyRider
02-09-2012, 17:51
Thanks Uneasy Rider for suggesting this one. I have gone through tons of the survival novels on kindle recently and most have been disappointing. I even ventured into some zombies for the last two books. Blah!
I liked the last ones you suggested, Deep Winter Series, so I will give Terawatt a shot.
If I can contribute any that I have even remotely enjoyed, the closest would be the "Renewal" series. There are 9 or 10 short novels for $1. Couple other ones that were almost worth it were "Apocalypse Law" and another by the same author.

I love to read, if you like Zombie survival stories have you read World War Z? It's the best! Also the blog of Adrian's Undead Diary is very nice reading... I started with the first entry (you should do this if you read it) and read forward. It's a good idea where the author writes an entry every couple of days in his journal so you are reading in real time. Good Zombie fiction too.

eyesnorth
02-11-2012, 07:03
I love to read, if you like Zombie survival stories have you read World War Z? It's the best! Also the blog of Adrian's Undead Diary is very nice reading... I started with the first entry (you should do this if you read it) and read forward. It's a good idea where the author writes an entry every couple of days in his journal so you are reading in real time. Good Zombie fiction too.

AUD is pretty good. Am looking forward to the trip mentioned in the last entry. Don't want to spoil anything.

UneasyRider
02-11-2012, 07:44
AUD is pretty good. Am looking forward to the trip mentioned in the last entry. Don't want to spoil anything.

I think so too. So often with a story like that they have no plausable way for you to believe the story line but I have no problem with this given the way that it is done. I look forward to the new entries every other day or so.

eyesnorth
02-11-2012, 09:06
I think so too. So often with a story like that they have no plausable way for you to believe the story line but I have no problem with this given the way that it is done. I look forward to the new entries every other day or so.

Yeah. When he started the Trinity thing I started thinking..I'm out, see ya. But, he's done a real nice job.

Waiting for the next toe pusher...

Sgt. Rambo
02-19-2012, 05:48
Yeah... thanks Uneasy rider... I bought this book for my wife... I woke up at 0300 this morning to her in bed reading it and refusing to put it down. "Oh this is Horrible" she tells me. I had to yell at her like a teenager to put her Ereader down and go to bed...LOL I read up to Chapter 4 so far and she's on Chapter 48.
Uneasy Rider, can you shoot me your home phone number so I can thank you at 0300 in the morning for this suggested reading???...LOL LOL

UneasyRider
02-19-2012, 19:05
Yeah... thanks Uneasy rider... I bought this book for my wife... I woke up at 0300 this morning to her in bed reading it and refusing to put it down. "Oh this is Horrible" she tells me. I had to yell at her like a teenager to put her Ereader down and go to bed...LOL I read up to Chapter 4 so far and she's on Chapter 48.
Uneasy Rider, can you shoot me your home phone number so I can thank you at 0300 in the morning for this suggested reading???...LOL LOL

Sure it's 1-900-phone-sex... my wife may be a little flirty, but if you just put up with her for a while she will appreciate it quite a bit.

quake
02-19-2012, 20:33
...toe pusher...

If nothing else, I suspect that phrase will be with us for a long time to come. AUD has more profanity than I prefer, but I'm an old fud at heart so that's to be expected I guess. Good story though.

UneasyRider
02-19-2012, 21:08
If nothing else, I suspect that phrase will be with us for a long time to come. AUD has more profanity than I prefer, but I'm an old fud at heart so that's to be expected I guess. Good story though.

Me too, I don't usually read that either but the author let us know right at the begining and I gave it a shot. Glad I did.

Sgt. Rambo
02-20-2012, 06:11
Sure it's 1-900-phone-sex... my wife may be a little flirty, but if you just put up with her for a while she will appreciate it quite a bit.

Hey wait.. I know that number....Nevermind.. let me go back to reading..lol

Fed Five Oh
02-20-2012, 11:30
Any way to get this other than Kindle?

UneasyRider
02-20-2012, 15:48
Any way to get this other than Kindle?

Sure is, go to amazon.com and download the kindle application for your PC, Mac, iPad, etc. and then you can use that device. I have a Kindle but read a lot on my laptop because of the larger screen... same with my wife, she uses her iPad.

Fed Five Oh
02-21-2012, 16:38
Sure is, go to amazon.com and download the kindle application for your PC, Mac, iPad, etc. and then you can use that device. I have a Kindle but read a lot on my laptop because of the larger screen... same with my wife, she uses her iPad.Thanks. Just down loaded the app and bought the book!

waynokarider01
02-22-2012, 18:08
I reallly enjoyed that one. I already had a Nook, but gave up and got a Kindle to read Terawatt and some other books that aren't available at B-N. Right now I am reading Dark Grid, which is along the same line, and is also quite good so far. I got that one free on Monday. I guess that I kind of makes up for having to pay the $2.99 for Terawatt!

UneasyRider
02-22-2012, 18:53
I reallly enjoyed that one. I already had a Nook, but gave up and got a Kindle to read Terawatt and some other books that aren't available at B-N. Right now I am reading Dark Grid, which is along the same line, and is also quite good so far. I got that one free on Monday. I guess that I kind of makes up for having to pay the $2.99 for Terawatt!

Please let me know how you like Dark Grid as you get into it with a post here, I have picked a couple of losers along with a some winners lately. Speaking of good ones Renewal is short but excellent with some sequels, I just finished before checking my mail.

KBoyd
02-24-2012, 06:51
Finished Terrawatt last night and all I can say is that he better have a sequel because I was unhappy with the ending. Any other suggested reads?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Fed Five Oh
02-24-2012, 08:11
Finished Terrawatt last night and all I can say is that he better have a sequel because I was unhappy with the ending. Any other suggested reads?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engineI finished it last night also. I agree with you. Great read until the end, but then that was probably by design. Hoping for a sequel.

UneasyRider
02-24-2012, 08:27
You have to know that a guy like that would have a bug out location, right? I am hoping for a sequel too.

waynokarider01
02-24-2012, 16:01
I am halfway through Dark Grid right now. So far, I am enjoying it. I have the first two books of Renewal, but there are a bunch of them. I haven't started reading those yet. Another excellent read is Desperate Times by Nicholas Antinozzi. I have read the first two books, and also all of the short books that describe the main characters. I will be buying the third one very soon. I just looked B-N is no longer showing the first two books, only the third. Amazon has all three, and also now has a deal on the trilogy for 10 bucks, instead of buying the first two for 3 bucks each and then 5 for the third. I cannot imagine anyone who reads this type of book not reading all three. The first two books are definitely in the top 10 of the last 100 books that I have read!

UneasyRider
02-24-2012, 16:40
I am halfway through Dark Grid right now. So far, I am enjoying it. I have the first two books of Renewal, but there are a bunch of them. I haven't started reading those yet. Another excellent read is Desperate Times by Nicholas Antinozzi. I have read the first two books, and also all of the short books that describe the main characters. I will be buying the third one very soon. I just looked B-N is no longer showing the first two books, only the third. Amazon has all three, and also now has a deal on the trilogy for 10 bucks, instead of buying the first two for 3 bucks each and then 5 for the third. I cannot imagine anyone who reads this type of book not reading all three. The first two books are definitely in the top 10 of the last 100 books that I have read!

Thanks, if we have any mutual books to buy I would suggest that one of us buy one and loan it to the other. I do this with my wife and it is no problem.

Ruble Noon
02-24-2012, 20:10
Any other suggested reads?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Half Past Midnight by Jeff Brackett

An Act of Self Defense by Erne Lewis

Dark-Light
02-25-2012, 16:32
Hey guys. I'm a new member here :wavey:(although I've lurked here and another Glock forum for a while) and found this particular thread through a totally unrelated venue.

Just wanted to say thanks for the shout-out as I happen to be the author of Dark Grid and appreciate the mention. Not selling, not pimping, just saying I appreciate the mention and hope you guys enjoy it. I am writing book two and if you guys have any questions about it I should be around.

Thanks again..
Dave
aka - Dark-Light

UneasyRider
02-25-2012, 17:11
Hey guys. I'm a new member here :wavey:(although I've lurked here and another Glock forum for a while) and found this particular thread through a totally unrelated venue.

Just wanted to say thanks for the shout-out as I happen to be the author of Dark Grid and appreciate the mention. Not selling, not pimping, just saying I appreciate the mention and hope you guys enjoy it. I am writing book two and if you guys have any questions about it I should be around.

Thanks again..
Dave
aka - Dark-Light

Hi Dave, I just downloaded Dark Grid yesterday, haven't started on it yet but I read a lot so I will soon. Nice to have you around.

waynokarider01
02-25-2012, 17:21
Welcome Dark-Light! As I have already said, I am really enjoying your book. I hope you have more in the works!

Dark-Light
02-25-2012, 17:55
Number 2 is in the works. :)

Sgt. Rambo
02-28-2012, 15:09
Number 2 is in the works. :)

Hey Dark Light... Good to have another gun toting, Glock enjoying author on board. I'm going to be getting yours next!!! I need to get mine released in e-book and have two manuscripts in the works I may go strictly epublished with. Welcome aboard.