G22 help deciding on a holster [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : G22 help deciding on a holster

theblakester
01-25-2012, 13:05
I don't know anything about holsters and I need some help.
I have a Gen4 G22 w/ Glock night sights, 2 magazines, and a TLR-1. I will be using the holster mainly for hunting (tracking wounded animals, walking through brush, and sitting in a stand for long periods of time. I will also probably use it when I travel, and to put in the night stand while I sleep. This holster will not be for concealed carry. What are some other things I should consider, and what are some good suggestions for a type/brand of holster. Im hoping to keep it in the $50 range.
THanks!!

BroknPrism
01-25-2012, 16:23
Hard to believe 3 hrs went by before somebody answered your question...

Since you'll be carrying the woods, and since you (seem to be) new to the firearm, I'd recommend something with retention. If you have to chase a wounded deer, climb a tree or a cliff, etc., you want the gun to stay in the holster. A good used Bianchi 19L is as good as anything, and may be cheapest. A Bianchi 7L is more pancake style, same thumbreak design.

I, on the other hand, love the op-top Askins Avenger style. Galco makes one for a little under $100, but a guy on eBay named Caldwell (Caldwell Gunleather) makes beautiful boutique-looking Askins models for $50! I had one for a 1911 and it fit like a second skin -- no movement, no slop, very very very well made.

If you don't care for leather, Uncle Mike makes nylon, and there's always Kydex -- the gun snaps in and stays in until you draw. I've read that they leave weird marks on the gun eventually, which is what keeps me away from them.

IndyGunFreak
01-25-2012, 16:37
I don't know anything about holsters and I need some help.
I have a Gen4 G22 w/ Glock night sights, 2 magazines, and a TLR-1. I will be using the holster mainly for hunting (tracking wounded animals, walking through brush, and sitting in a stand for long periods of time. I will also probably use it when I travel, and to put in the night stand while I sleep. This holster will not be for concealed carry. What are some other things I should consider, and what are some good suggestions for a type/brand of holster. Im hoping to keep it in the $50 range.
THanks!!

In the woods? I'm thinking something OWB and Kydex (due to the elements).

One of my personal favorites...
http://www.sidearmor.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=32&products_id=86

If you don't mind your muzzle being exposed, this would be a reasonably inexpensive choice...
http://www.blade-tech.com/Partial-Eclipse-Holster-pr-1334.html

After that, I'd probably look at an Uncle Mikes OWB Kydex holster (not their Nylon)

IGF

theblakester
01-25-2012, 21:29
Thanks! Will those work with a TLR-1. Is there a specific type that I would need to fit it with the TLR-1 connected??

NEOH212
01-26-2012, 03:12
Save up for a Raven Concealment Phantom light compatible holster.

It's the best $90 dollars you will ever spend.

IndyGunFreak
01-26-2012, 06:00
Thanks! Will those work with a TLR-1. Is there a specific type that I would need to fit it with the TLR-1 connected??

You're gonna have trouble finding any holster that will accommodate a light for $50.... a lot of trouble.

If you want that, you're gonna probably have to up your budget to $75 minimum.

SCmasterblaster
01-26-2012, 06:31
I carry a G17 in an old Bianchi No. 4/4L; it works just fine for me.

cowboy1964
01-26-2012, 10:22
You're gonna have trouble finding any holster that will accommodate a light for $50.... a lot of trouble.

If you want that, you're gonna probably have to up your budget to $75 minimum.

Safariland 6377 can be had for $30 something. Maybe some other Safarilands too but I only have personal experience with the 6377.

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/info/willfit/PT%204%20Concealment%20with%20and%20without%20lights-Pistols-12-7-11.pdf

IndyGunFreak
01-26-2012, 12:27
Safariland 6377 can be had for $30 something. Maybe some other Safarilands too but I only have personal experience with the 6377.

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/info/willfit/PT%204%20Concealment%20with%20and%20without%20lights-Pistols-12-7-11.pdf

Looking at that PDF, it shows only 1 holster available for a Glock 22 w/ a TLR -1 is a 5187/5188/5189

CrookCounty
01-26-2012, 12:30
Serpa...Less than $30 bucks shipped on Amazon