Glad I had a spare magazine on me today... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glad I had a spare magazine on me today...

Opie 1 Kenopie
01-25-2012, 15:09
I'm taking my daughters to school this morning and I throw on my G29SF on my primary side, with a 15 round G20 magazine worn on my belt, offside. I'm feeling pretty well armed with this setup, as usual.

I got home a few minutes ago, had a hankerin' for .45 ACP so I went to swap the 29 out for my 21 and 30. As I'm unloading the G29 magazine (standard with a Pearce +2 ext.), I notice the rounds POURING OUT. The follower had bound up at the bottom, no spring pressure at all to push rounds 2-12 into the gun. This could have been a one-shot gunfight if I had needed the pistol.

Fortunately, years ago I started carrying a spare magazine. Each and every time. No exceptions. I feel naked without at least one. Today's potential FUBAR would have been remedied with a fast reload to the G20 magazine. I'm the idiot for not checking my kit before rolling out this morning.

So, I implore all of you out there who CCW, PLEASE always carry a spare. Even if it's in a pocket, mag pouch, jacket etc. You might not need 150 rounds at an ATM robbery, but as we've all heard 1000 times, most failures are mag related. Get a new one in there QUICK! I almost met Murphy this morning, I'm glad I was (at least partially) prepared.

RussP
01-25-2012, 16:09
:thumbsup:

OctoberRust
01-25-2012, 16:13
I agree with you. I get a lot of flack from family and friends who also carry, asking why I need another 13 rounds of .40 or 15 rounds of 9mm with the extra mag I carry. I always tell them, it's not so much the quantity I'm worried about, but should in case the mag fail.

Clay1
01-25-2012, 17:05
I like the logic. I will say that many that think an extra mag is good think that an extra gun - now you must really be nuts. I like the Clint Smith concept of one is none, two is OK and three; now you have something.

Since we are thinking along these lines, what if your extrator broke - would an extra mag do you any good? I like the idea of a primary and a backup and a blade and a flashlight. While some feel just fine with an lcp stuck in a pants pocket, some people feel warm and fuzzy with "more is better".

gunslinger3
01-25-2012, 17:15
I almost met Murphy this morning, I'm glad I was (at least partially) prepared.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

ranger88
01-25-2012, 18:27
Good post OP!!! I always carry a spare mag, but I mostly carry it out of paranoia that things could go horribly wrong, terribly fast and that I would need more ammo and not have it. Like when the zombies attack, or China invades, or Somali pirates decide they really want my Lexus SUV with me in it. You know, the usual stuff. :whistling:

VanguardMP
01-25-2012, 18:36
Good post OP!!! I always carry a spare mag, but I mostly carry it out of paranoia that things could go horribly wrong, terribly fast and that I would need more ammo and not have it. Like when the zombies attack, or China invades, or Somali pirates decide they really want my Lexus SUV with me in it. You know, the usual stuff. :whistling:

Me too!

RFPhoto
01-25-2012, 18:48

:rofl:

Fragman
01-25-2012, 18:51
Yup. It just validates the need to carry a spare. Additional capacity is a secondary reason. My primary reason is in case of magazine malfunction. Just like what happened to OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ncglock19
01-25-2012, 21:13
Two is One, and One is None. Something my instructor taught me.

nc19

BuckyP
01-26-2012, 06:18
Certainly a good argument for a spare mag.

However, you might be surprised that shooting under recoil, the magazine may very well have worked. I know with some high cap 1911s, the follower doesn't seem to come up when unloading manually, however they work just fine in live fire. :dunno:

Pierre!
01-26-2012, 06:30
Just another reason you will never find a 'capacity' enhancement baseplate on one of my carry magazines...

After the second 'higher capacity' +2 baseplate *exploded* on the concrete floor I threw all my +2 non Glock baseplates away.

And you just pointed out the other reason I don't use these baseplates Opie 1 Kenopie! :cool:

It works for some folks, but not for me...

Patrick

BuckyP
01-26-2012, 07:08
Just another reason you will never find a 'capacity' enhancement baseplate on one of my carry magazines...

After the second 'higher capacity' +2 baseplate *exploded* on the concrete floor I threw all my +2 non Glock baseplates away.

What about factory +2 mags / base plates?

xcaliburelite
01-26-2012, 07:21
A lot of people give me hell over carrying an extra mag (I carry a G19 mag to support my G26), but people fail to understand that the magazine is the weakest point in a pistol. Combine that with most malfunction drills teaching some sort of magazine manipulation or swap, why wouldn't you carry one?

Donn57
01-26-2012, 11:22
I never carry a spare magazine because I carry a revolver (or two). No faulty magazines, guaranteed.

blk69stang
01-26-2012, 11:29
I wonder if the "tap, rack" drill would have helped here. I've had mags hang up like that before, but a good sharp smack on the baseplate caused everything to start moving again.

Warp
01-26-2012, 11:40
Dammit, I really need to find a more comfortable way to carry a spare mag on my person.

happyguy
01-26-2012, 11:43
Look at the bright side. It's possible the shock of recoil from the first round would have freed up the follower. You never know.

Regards,
Happyguy :)

Eric2340
01-26-2012, 11:44
I've said it again and again, THIS is why you carry a spare mag!!!!!!! :(

SpringerTGO
01-26-2012, 11:59
Funny stuff.
Seriously, if a spare mag saved your life I would understand the excitement. But I'll continue carrying my little J frame, G26, or T3 without spares for now.
When I go off to war I'll load up on magazines, flashlights, etc.

Opie 1 Kenopie
01-26-2012, 20:39
Thanks for the replies guys. For those of you who still think that carrying a spare is overkill or that it makes you a mall ninja, I will point out again that it is NOT about the firepower. Having a spare is wise because of MALFUNCTIONS, usually caused by mag issues.

As far as revolvers, I very rarely carry a SW 642 but never do so without a speed strip or speed loader. Now that IS because of capacity. I'm sure we all have heard of the Utah off duty cop eating in the mall when shots broke out. He responded with his 7 shot (I believe) Kimber .45 and eventually ran dry. Everything worked out for him, but he remarked afterward that he would never go out again without a spare mag.

As for the "shoot it loose" comments... The follower in my bad 10mm mag yesterday was jammed sideways in the tube. No way it was going to come loose with recoil. It still sits in the safe all boogered up. I'll have to disassemble it to pop it loose.

To each his own, but I'm a HUGE fan of carrying a spare and my experience yesterday only confirmed my reasons.

happyguy
01-26-2012, 20:43
Why do you empty your magazines?

Regards,
Happyguy :)

Opie 1 Kenopie
01-26-2012, 20:52
When I'm switching carry guns, I empty the mags into drawers of carry ammo in my safe. I'm kinda OCD about leaving loaded mags sitting for long periods of time. Despite many heated discussions here on GT staing the opposite, I've noticed my springs getting weaker on my wife's G19 that has been loaded up since day 1.

Rally Vincent
01-26-2012, 21:34
+ efffing 1.

ScottieG59
01-26-2012, 22:27
I go by what I can carry. Normally, I carry two extra magazines for my Glock 27. They may be the stock 9 round or the 15 round Glock 22 magazines. When I have my Kruger CR, I carry 2 or 4 speed loaders.

Sometimes, the speed loaders bind when deploying. I would not want to have to lay down a lot of fire with the little revolver, but it is small and reliable.

I do not worry about looking paranoid since I conceal all.

Jake Starr
01-27-2012, 06:15
I personally don't care for Pearce extensions since I have seen too many problems. Our gunsmith doesn't recommend them either.

Either way you should still carry a spare mag.

BK63
01-27-2012, 07:09
With all the threads I've read over the years on the extra mag it made me decide to start carrying one a while ago. I found that a leatherman type belt pouch with velcro flap works well for me and the mag fits perfectly in it on my belt and does not look suspicious.

Pierre!
01-27-2012, 23:14
What about factory +2 mags / base plates?

Uhmmm....

No.

Magazines are the one part of the Glock I won't mess with... Stock, and Hi-Cap for me!

Patrick

RussP
01-28-2012, 05:28
As for the "shoot it loose" comments... The follower in my bad 10mm mag yesterday was jammed sideways in the tube. No way it was going to come loose with recoil. It still sits in the safe all boogered up. I'll have to disassemble it to pop it loose.Wear your safety glasses. Daddy taught me anything under pressure will become a projectile when you least expect it to, especially when you "know" you have it under control. :supergrin:

H&K 4 LIFE
01-28-2012, 06:20
While I too always carry a spare magazine, I also have a little "pre-flight" drill I go through every time before I holster up.

Finger indexed, out and away from the trigger. Point in safe direction.
Eject magazine.
Brass check. Confirm loaded chamber.
Magazine back in. Confirm fully inserted.
Confirm slide fully in battery.
Into holster.

If you had done this, you would have probably noticed the bad magazine before you started carrying the gun.

Now, this is just something I do, and it may not be for everybody. But it works for me and betters my chances at avoiding little things like this that have the potential to turn into big problems. :)

comsubin61
01-28-2012, 06:37

I don't worry about that stuff because I know the odds of that happening is 1 in million.

On the other end if the Aliens should come down to earth then I want to be prepared. Sometimes I even think about some terrorist attack that turns everyone into a zombie. So I carry 2 spare mags just in case.:embarassed:

Misty02
01-28-2012, 07:37
Funny stuff.
Seriously, if a spare mag saved your life I would understand the excitement. But I'll continue carrying my little J frame, G26, or T3 without spares for now.
When I go off to war I'll load up on magazines, flashlights, etc.

You consider a flashlight a tool for war? :wow: Wow! If I only had the memory and time to list every single occurrence where my flashlight has been useful.

Misty02
01-28-2012, 07:53
Opie 1 Kenopie, thank you for sharing your story and reinforcing the need to carry a spare.

Wear your safety glasses. Daddy taught me anything under pressure will become a projectile when you least expect it to, especially when you "know" you have it under control.

Something tells me Opie might not be inviting Murphy to play twice in a row! :supergrin:

While I too always carry a spare magazine, I also have a little "pre-flight" drill I go through every time before I holster up.

Finger indexed, out and away from the trigger. Point in safe direction.
Eject magazine.
Brass check. Confirm loaded chamber.
Magazine back in. Confirm fully inserted.
Confirm slide fully in battery.
Into holster.

If you had done this, you would have probably noticed the bad magazine before you started carrying the gun.

Now, this is just something I do, and it may not be for everybody. But it works for me and betters my chances at avoiding little things like this that have the potential to turn into big problems.

That is an excellent recommendation, H&K 4 LIFE. I canít believe I didnít think of it before. It is not unusual for me to go a full week without unholstering and checking my G19. I assume it is in the same condition as the day I put it there, but why am I relying on old information with something that important? I look over my tires every day before get in, why am I not doing the same thing with my carry pistol? Hmmmm time to change some habits!

ChipM
01-28-2012, 19:56
You consider a flashlight a tool for war? :wow: Wow! If I only had the memory and time to list every single occurrence where my flashlight has been useful.

I wish I had the memory and time to list every time my flashlight was useful in the last two weeks. Maybe i just spend too much time in dark buildings...

Misty02
01-29-2012, 03:08
I wish I had the memory and time to list every time my flashlight was useful in the last two weeks. Maybe i just spend too much time in dark buildings...

I believe you. :) As a woman I tend to avoid dark places, weíre always in heels the dark, soft dirt and rocks are things we avoid like the plague! Firearms are relative new in my life, but flashlights and a small knife are not. I would lie if I said I carried those two for self-defense purposes, I didnít (and still donít), theyíre just utility everyday items.

Jack19
02-02-2012, 14:41
You can quote me.....see below.:supergrin:

talon
02-02-2012, 16:52
Sounds more like an argument against a Pearce ext than it does for a spare mag.