Springfield Armory questions. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Springfield Armory questions.

SOLIDSNAK3
01-25-2012, 20:19
what parts are normally MIM on their 1911's?

what is there warrenty like?
does it transfer from owner to owner of the same weapon or is it only for the original purchaser?

is it posiible to void the warrenty?

thanks!!

GeorgiaRedfish
01-25-2012, 20:37
Warranty- It says it doesn't transfer when you sell it, but they will take care of any of their pistols. I bought mine used and they worked on it and and paid for shipping to and from. Their customer service is the best. They re coated my friends XD he bough used and paid for round trip shipping. You can void the warranty by trying to smith your gun yourself. Being negligent on it.

bac1023
01-25-2012, 20:46
The MIM parts depend on which Springfield you buy.

Fire_Medic
01-25-2012, 20:46

TRP? :dunno:

SOLIDSNAK3
01-25-2012, 20:49

trp and Lightweight operator

MStarmer
01-25-2012, 23:40
If you look at 1911 forums in the Springfield sub-forum you will see I think most of the small parts and ignition components are MIM. Extractor too if I'm not mistaken. On my loaded some of the parts almost felt like aluminum. I think there even is a few MIM parts on the Professional model too.

faawrenchbndr
01-26-2012, 02:14
A properly manufactured MIM part is more reliable than a cast part.

knedrgr
01-26-2012, 06:07
I had gotten this used in a trade and SA took it back to fix a pretty fubar barrel. Got it back in 2 weeks w/ a brand new bull barrel installed.

Fubar barrel hood. Note the older 2-piece barrel too.
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e121/fourstardrift/Guns%20stuff/d7936b9d.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e121/fourstardrift/Guns%20stuff/9d5ee795.jpg

MajorD
01-26-2012, 07:21
my answer to parts is shoot the gun to failure then replace- pre-emptive parts replacement is costly and may not give you a paert that is going to last longer than the original. You can never really know what part is going to crap out in short order or last forever- regardless of bar stock mim etc. It has been said SA does do a good job of taking care of customers. That being said if a bunch of people are saying that, it means a lot of the SA guns go back to SA for problems.
as a general rule SA guns are pretty good. I can't just bring myself to own a 1911 not fully built in the U.S.

DubfromGA
01-26-2012, 08:20
trp and Lightweight operator

I have two Springfield 1911's that I really like. I have faith in their Custom Shop to resolve issues. Check in over on the 1911 forums....Springfield subforum for tons of support evidence. Great company, great product.

That being said, I've been in the market for really nice 5" combat set up 1911. Ultra reliability, ultra accurate....

My eye was on the TRP. The factory finishes would have to be dealt with, though. The factory Armory Kote finish would wear on me and have to go back for retreating later.....the stainless finish would be sent in for a hard chroming.....all the MIM parts would have to be replaced....basically all the small parts and some controls, the ambi safety replaced as I don't like them.

So....we are looking at a nib TRP for $1,400-$1,600 plus additional work.

I've researched it like crazy and made my decision. I'm going with a gun that has everything that I want right out of the box. The finish gets crazy high remarks from Dave Severns, the man who does the Hard Hat finish which is my idea of the perfect finish (for me at least). He also is a top notch customizer and does exceptional work....and speaks highly of the production pistol I decided on.

The list of MIM parts in my new 1911 will be zero. All parts are hand fitted to tight tolerances. No front cocking serrations as I don't like them, either.

The gun falls right into the price range of the TRP's I was looking at.

I've never had this brand before but am willing to take a chance based on the neverending praise of owners.

What's the gun?

Dan Wesson Valor with the ceramic Duty Finish.

I'm working on a couple of deals now to get one. Can't wait!!!!!

Quack
01-26-2012, 08:30
I have two Springfield 1911's that I really like. I have faith in their Custom Shop to resolve issues. Check in over on the 1911 forums....Springfield subforum for tons of support evidence. Great company, great product.

That being said, I've been in the market for really nice 5" combat set up 1911. Ultra reliability, ultra accurate....

My eye was on the TRP. The factory finishes would have to be dealt with, though. The factory Armory Kote finish would wear on me and have to go back for retreating later.....the stainless finish would be sent in for a hard chroming.....all the MIM parts would have to be replaced....basically all the small parts and some controls, the ambi safety replaced as I don't like them.

So....we are looking at a nib TRP for $1,400-$1,600 plus additional work.

I've researched it like crazy and made my decision. I'm going with a gun that has everything that I want right out of the box. The finish gets crazy high remarks from Dave Severns, the man who does the Hard Hat finish which is my idea of the perfect finish (for me at least). He also is a top notch customizer and does exceptional work....and speaks highly of the production pistol I decided on.

The list of MIM parts in my new 1911 will be zero. All parts are hand fitted to tight tolerances. No front cocking serrations as I don't like them, either.

The gun falls right into the price range of the TRP's I was looking at.

I've never had this brand before but am willing to take a chance based on the neverending praise of owners.

What's the gun?

Dan Wesson Valor with the ceramic Duty Finish.

I'm working on a couple of deals now to get one. Can't wait!!!!!

the grip safety is cast ;)

DubfromGA
01-26-2012, 08:36
the grip safety is cast ;)

Ed Brown grip safety?

That's my understanding what they've used on this pistol.

Quack
01-26-2012, 08:41
Ed Brown grip safety?

That's my understanding what they've used on this pistol.

yep...

Do Ed Brown handguns have any MIM (metal injection molded) parts?

No, we use no MIM parts in Ed Brown firearms. While the current thinking is that MIM parts are "good enough" for firearm applications, this thinking doesn't fit with our philosophy at all. All Ed Brown parts are made from either forgings, bar stock steel, or quality investment castings.

the Brown thumb safeties are also cast.

SOLIDSNAK3
01-26-2012, 08:59
thank you to those that answered my question. my reason for asking, was that i was unaware of how the warrenty works for SA guns. to be honest, i've already had work done on my operator, so im pretty sure i've void the warrenty to some degree.

as for the MIM parts, i don't worry about them, but i would like to know what parts are actually MIM. after the work i've done to my operator, i don't see it having any sort of reliabilty problems however should the need to replace parts arises, i would like to know if it was an actual MIM part that failed or not.

thanks.

Ruggles
01-26-2012, 09:08
With one more letter MIM would be a four letter word....

I am in the don't look for it in a 1911 and don't mind if it is there camp myself. The only part I ever had break in a 1911 in the 30 or so that I have owned was a thumb safety on a STI Spartan. Not sure what they make those out of. I had a ejector on a Baer TRS Comanche go horribly wrong but it did not break. Other than that nothing....

All that being said I had the "Bullet Proof" option added to a Wilson I had built last year just because I thought it worth the extra money at the time. In short I can take MIM or leave it I guess. I certainly would not let it keep me from buying a 1911 I wanted.

DubfromGA
01-26-2012, 09:45
thank you to those that answered my question. my reason for asking, was that i was unaware of how the warrenty works for SA guns. to be honest, i've already had work done on my operator, so im pretty sure i've void the warrenty to some degree.

as for the MIM parts, i don't worry about them, but i would like to know what parts are actually MIM. after the work i've done to my operator, i don't see it having any sort of reliabilty problems however should the need to replace parts arises, i would like to know if it was an actual MIM part that failed or not.

thanks.

Contact Deb at SACS and see.

Excellent company. Proud to own a pair of them. Looking forward to the day when I can have SACS do some choice mods on them both.

Good luck.

arclight610
01-26-2012, 11:22
see my thread in general firearms

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1397365

If you don't want to click it, basically I'm in school now for manufacturing engineering. Currently, we are talking about metal processing techniques and my textbook says that small MIM parts, when done properly, are superior in strength than those that are machined.

fnfalman
01-26-2012, 11:49
I think that it's hilarious that Ed Brown claimed casted parts are somehow better than MIM parts.

They're both economic means of manufacturing, and they both can be really bad if the manufacturer were to cut corner or not knowing what they're doing.

DubfromGA
01-26-2012, 12:57
Oh well.....looks like I'm buying a gun with a cast part in it. :)

I put the order in for the Valor a couple of hours ago.

And did so with supreme confidence in the weapon.

carloglock19
01-26-2012, 17:07
So is my 1911 with MIM parts in it going to fall apart?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Rally Vincent
01-26-2012, 17:29
So is my 1911 with MIM parts in it going to fall apart?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Highly unlikely.

TxGlock9
01-26-2012, 17:44
Anything made with proper quality control is going to be satisfactory. I never really worry abt MIM parts so much. Then again knowing that ur gun has low amt of MIM Parts feels good too. The sig as far as i know has the least amt of MIM parts for a sub 1000 dollar 1911.

midliferally
01-26-2012, 19:41
Oh well.....looks like I'm buying a gun with a cast part in it. :)

I put the order in for the Valor a couple of hours ago.

And did so with supreme confidence in the weapon.

I have a Valor and a TRP. I think the Valor is slightly superior in quality. I love them both but if I had to choose one it would be the Valor.. Enjoy!!!

fnfalman
01-27-2012, 11:39
MIM or cast parts are functional IF they were properly made.

However, guns of certain price ranges and prestige shouldn't have these cheaply produced parts, functional or not.

MD357
01-27-2012, 12:02
A properly manufactured MIM part is more reliable than a cast part.

If we are talking Aerospace industry standards than I'm all aboard the MIM train. The firearm industry..... eh.....I've just seen too much mim break to trust it, so I'll stick with bar stock whenever possible. :cool:

gocubs6
01-28-2012, 07:02
Don't worry about it. As many have said earlier, shoot it. It will most likely never have an issue. If something were to happen, SA will fix it for free and you can have them add upgraded parts at that time.

I don't know this for sure, but the Pro uses the same MIM parts for the most part as the TRP. So, if the FBI isn't concerned about it, I'm not going to be.

If you read the forums too much, you will feel a need to replace them all (I have felt that need). But, it really doesn't make that much sense unless you just really want to. At that point, you might as well spend the extra coin an a semi-custom.

craig19
01-28-2012, 07:39
However, guns of certain price ranges and prestige shouldn't have these cheaply produced parts, functional or not.

I agree 100%