Can an old Wingmaster (2 3/4-inch) be made to shoot 3-inch ammo? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Can an old Wingmaster (2 3/4-inch) be made to shoot 3-inch ammo?

JTR
01-26-2012, 00:48
I have an old Wingmaster that was born with a barrel chambered for only 2 3/4-inch shells. I have picked up a new(er) barrel with factory rifle-sights and 3-inch camber I really like and want to use it on the old Wingmaster.

The new rifle-sighted barrel has a chamber that will fit both 2 3/4 and 3-inch shells. Not that I shoot much if any 3-inch ammo, but as the barrel is chambered for it... I figured I'd see if I can safely make the gun run 3-inch ammo. Is there any if at all modifications needed to be made to the gun so it can run 3-inch ammo?

MrMurphy
01-26-2012, 03:21
Want to blow up a shotgun?

Stick Magnum rounds into a non Magnum receiver.

Seen an older 500 have that happen.

JTR
01-26-2012, 10:22

Thats good to know. How are the 870s different from each other?

Buffering
01-26-2012, 13:00

Are you sure about this?

IIRC, older 870's can be modified by moving/restaking the ejector. The OP has a 3" barrel so he's perfectly fine once he can get the shell into the chamber but the innards of the 870 need to be modified for 3" shells. It's not expensive but the pretty finish is messed up so plan on a reblue/refinish to make it purty again.

The receiver will handle moving a 3" shell because there's room but it's the ejector problem. I'm sure someone will first hand experience with the modification will be along shortly.

aippi
01-26-2012, 14:28
OH my. Murph is messing with you. The receiver has nothing to do with shooting magnums. If that was the case how can you even shoot a Mossberg shot gun as the receiver is Aluminum. Shell length does not designate the magnum round as there are multiple 2 3/4" magnum loads out there.

Our Departmenal load was 2 3/4" Magnum 00 buck and our old 870's were 2 3/4" receivers and I fired thousands of these loads in those weapons.

Yes, as Buff stated you simply change the ejector housing. This will create the need to refinish the receiver as the new rivets are bare and they will not sit flush. If you don't care about this just cold blue them. If you want them flush you will have to grind them down then of course refinish the receiver. You then need a barrel chambered for up to 3" and your good to go.

This upgrade is not worth the cost or the effort in my opinion.

MrMurphy
01-26-2012, 14:31
I'm not a gunsmith, don't claim to be.

But I was always under the impression when it comes to shotguns if it didn't start out a magnum, you couldn't make it one. Multiple gunsmiths and armorers never told me otherwise.

aippi
01-26-2012, 15:12
Magnum is the shell not the weapon. when it comes to the receiver it is either 2 3/4", 3" or 3.5" receiver and that is for the ejection of the shell. The barrel is either chambered for 2 3/4", up to 3" or up to 3.5".

Manufacturers figure out years ago if you put the word "magnum" on a shotgun it sells better. When it comes to shotguns it is a Marketing word and nothing more. It does 'cause confusion by those without the knowledge of these weapons. One guy even reported me to gun broker for selling an 870 Express and stating that it was chambered for up to 3" magnum. He reported me to gun broker stating that I was endangering gun broker buyers by telling them they could shoot magnums in this weapon. And worse, the clowns at gun broker e-mailed to respond to the charge. I simply advised them the person making the charge knew nothing about these weapons and that every 870 Express is built on a 3" receiver, every single one ever built, and comes with a barrel chamber in 3". I then told them to call 800-243-9700 which is Remington and confirm that.

bernie herd
01-30-2012, 20:46
Yes you can convert a 2 3/4 to 3 in. Just go to the Wilson Combat website and it explains what they do on the "standard model". I have personally called them to discuss this same issue. They will replace the ejector, resulting in drilling out the rivets, putting in new ones, then staking them, then refinishing the gun.