Pennsylvania man,65,fatally shoots teen who pushed him off bicycle... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Pennsylvania man,65,fatally shoots teen who pushed him off bicycle...

snubfan
01-26-2012, 11:10
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/01/26/pennsylvania-man-65-fatally-shoots-teen-who-pushed-him-off-bicycle/?test=latestnews

Title is misleading IMO.

Sorry if this is a repost.Looked quick but didn't see anything.

Warp
01-26-2012, 11:16
Don't mess with an old man. He just might kill you.

That sums is up. Three teens (strong arm?) robbing a 65 year old...I'm glad he had a firearm and was able to stop them. One is stopped for good.

Thx-1138
01-26-2012, 12:00
Props to the old dude, and to the police for arresting the criminals and releasing the victim.

And people wonder why I'm looking for a better concealed carry cycling solution.

This weekend, I'm test-driving a Ruger LCP, LCR and a S&W Bodyguard 380.

Criteria:

Fits in jersey pocket without dragging it down too much (relatively lightweight)
Can be fired while wearing summer, fall/spring, and winter cycling gloves.
Can be fired accurately while under the after-effects of a 100-mile ride.

todd_g
01-26-2012, 13:25
Goes to show it can happen anywhere, making a withdraw from an ATM to well bicycling on a trail. There are some real nut cases out there that would consider this 65 year old man a child killer, just like the folks here in Grand Rapids, MI who said the man who defended himself against a crazy man wielding a plastic trash can lid who was going to use it as a club at a gas station ( 45 lb trash lid )

hawgrider
01-26-2012, 13:53
Thx-1138
You don't need a new gun you just need one of these.

http://pistolwear.com/index.htm
Don't know anything about them but came across it a while and bookmarked it just in case.
Check out the video with it. Seems like something that could work. Have considered it myself for running
and walking.

Thx-1138
01-26-2012, 14:58
Thx-1138
You don't need a new gun you just need one of these.

http://pistolwear.com/index.htm
Check out the video with it.

I've got a SmartCarry, and don't like it for reasons that would also apply to the linked holster. Worn under your jersey/shorts, it's a sweat-magnet. Riding a road bike in the drops, the gun butt digs into your gut and/or the muzzle impacts the horn of the saddle (risks pushing the gun out of the soft-bottom holster). Bounces a lot.

Running and mountain biking for shortish distances, maybe those aren't problems. But I do endurance road cycling (google: randonneuring); a holster that is mildly uncomfortable at the start of a ride will most likely be excruciatingly painful at the end of the day (or days) - especially if it is strapped around the waist/hips.

Kind of like the difference between wearing one of those holsters for a 5k and a double marathon.

The linked holster requires a two-hand draw, even after moving aside the cover garment. Not really what I'm looking for.

larry_minn
01-26-2012, 15:25
I recall a gent who carried TWO tire pumps. One was a "shark stick" or "bang stick" modification. While only one shot/contact......
When I mountain biked I had a "bag" that fit in frame. Trianglar with couple pockets. One just right for pistol. Add a string to zipper for easy opening...

Deaf Smith
01-26-2012, 17:25
I don't blame the old man. He had no idea if they just wanted to rob him, beat him, kill him, set him afire, etc... The thing is they TRIED to hurt him and he defended himself.

Lesson to other would-be little thugs, you can die doing those kind of things.

Deaf

cowboy1964
01-26-2012, 19:15
Pretty clear cut case of "disparity of force", it looks like.

Having taken some spills while riding I'm really leery of carrying on my person. I'm still looking for a good solution.

Nine Shooter
01-26-2012, 19:23
Lol @ the media for completely leaving the "robbery" portion of the story out of the title. Changes the context of the shooting completely.

Snafu
01-27-2012, 05:56
Here's a better account of the incident. Read some of the comments below, it appears many people are sick and tired of being or reading about crime victims and are ready to fight back.

I carry regularly when hiking or camping. Many folks find that silly. I don't.

http://www.wgal.com/news/30301618/detail.html

RussP
01-27-2012, 06:41
First things first, children, let's have a little more respect for those twice, three times your age. "Old guy", "old dude", really? Old is Dragoon44...:cool:

Now, strip the emotion from this.
Three men attacked one man.

One attacker wore, or was supposed to be wearing, an electronic monitoring device placed on his ankle by probation officers that morning.

That attacker was to report to his probation officer that afternoon.

Instead of reporting, or perhaps on the way, he was shot and killed.

This was his last in a series of criminal acts that day.

Actions have consequences...

pipedreams
01-27-2012, 07:05
Whatever the man did he did it right. A good thing he had the gun on himself rather than in a bag on the bike. Brings up a good question on how do you secure your gun on your person when riding so that you can easily get to it. Getting knocked off the bike could have caused the gun to be dislodged from his holster if it didn't have very good retention.

Gunnut 45/454
01-27-2012, 09:28
:supergrin:Yep reducing the criminal population is always a good thing! Good shoot!

robhic
01-27-2012, 17:28

:supergrin::supergrin::supergrin::supergrin::supergrin: I just love that line! Puts the whole thing in perspective really well. I'm still chuckling at this one.

Deaf Smith
01-27-2012, 17:35

One attacker wore, or was supposed to be wearing, an electronic monitoring device placed on his ankle by probation officers that morning.

So the creep with the monitoring device and date with the probation officer is now in the Prison Of No Parole (PONP.) I.E. dead.

Just where he belongs! Sometimes there is justice in the world, even if it's only street justice.

Deaf

glock_collector
01-27-2012, 17:45
Good job to the Ol' guy... I will donate the ammo to refill his mag!

jdavionic
01-27-2012, 18:55
First things first, children, let's have a little more respect for those twice, three times your age. "Old guy", "old dude", really? Old is Dragoon44...:cool:

Now, strip the emotion from this.

Actions have consequences...

I think it's important to note that pushing a 65 yr old off a bike could cause significant damage to the older person....depending the person's condition. I don't think it changes the justification for the response; however I think it should be an additional consideration when assessing the severity of the attack.

jack76590
01-28-2012, 08:30
Has anyone heard what handgun victim was carrying, ammo used, carry method?

Wurger
02-07-2012, 20:19
I've got a SmartCarry, and don't like it for reasons that would also apply to the linked holster. Worn under your jersey/shorts, it's a sweat-magnet. Riding a road bike in the drops, the gun butt digs into your gut and/or the muzzle impacts the horn of the saddle (risks pushing the gun out of the soft-bottom holster). Bounces a lot.

Running and mountain biking for shortish distances, maybe those aren't problems. But I do endurance road cycling (google: randonneuring); a holster that is mildly uncomfortable at the start of a ride will most likely be excruciatingly painful at the end of the day (or days) - especially if it is strapped around the waist/hips.

Kind of like the difference between wearing one of those holsters for a 5k and a double marathon.

The linked holster requires a two-hand draw, even after moving aside the cover garment. Not really what I'm looking for.

I currently use my LCP. Rode 25(+)miles today at 16mi/hr (older roadie trying to get back into the game). It works fine in my jersey pocket but I'm thinking I may want something bigger than .380ACP for the pitbull that takes me off my bicycle and then works on clamping his jaws on my neck. I've seriously looked at the options and I keep returning to the CM/PM9(or the new CM40). Light weight, small size more penetration/power.

Wurger
02-07-2012, 20:20

Wurger
02-07-2012, 20:43
I recall a gent who carried TWO tire pumps. One was a "shark stick" or "bang stick" modification. While only one shot/contact......
When I mountain biked I had a "bag" that fit in frame. Trianglar with couple pockets. One just right for pistol. Add a string to zipper for easy opening...

I have a bag like that too, but I worry what kind of pounding the pistol and the ammo's primers take. Carried on my person the firearm takes a lot less of a beating. I want it to go bang if I need it.

RGbiker
02-07-2012, 20:48
16 year old Julias Johnson, (dead perp) was just beginning to turn his life around. He only needed cheap transportation (stolen bicycle) for school and to report to his probation officer, in addition to a few bucks (robbed from the elderly) for school supplies.

Poor boy got shot for his efforts... Bummer. :crying:

/sarcasm.

Wurger
02-07-2012, 20:51
16 year old Julias Johnson, (dead perp) was just beginning to turn his life around. He only needed cheap transportation (stolen bicycle) for school and to report to his probation officer, in addition to a few bucks (robbed from the elderly) for school supplies.

Poor boy got shot for his efforts... Bummer. :crying:

/sarcasm.

+1 and love your avitar!!!!!

JuneyBooney
02-07-2012, 20:59
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/01/26/pennsylvania-man-65-fatally-shoots-teen-who-pushed-him-off-bicycle/?test=latestnews

Title is misleading IMO.

Sorry if this is a repost.Looked quick but didn't see anything.

He did what was needed to do in the situation.

Nakanokalronin
02-07-2012, 21:36
I carry a snub in a 5.11 carry shirt under a normal shirt and a speed strip or two on the other side when riding my bicycle on the trails. This just re-enforces the fact that stuff can happen anywhere at anytime. Glad the guy is okay. Be prepared.

Thx-1138
02-08-2012, 14:50
I currently use my LCP. Rode 25(+)miles today at 16mi/hr (older roadie trying to get back into the game). It works fine in my jersey pocket

Yeah, the pocket .380s seem to be perfect for jersey carry. For social riding in the burbs, I think it'd be perfect.

but I'm thinking I may want something bigger than .380ACP for the pitbull that takes me off my bicycle and then works on clamping his jaws on my neck.

If you have a dog attack, by the time you can go for your gun, you're knocked off your bike, on the ground, and fighting a dog that's probably on top of you already. That's one big reason why I'm looking at the LCR. In such a case, I'd prefer a revolver that will fire when the muzzle is pressed against it's target instead of a semi where the slide may get pushed out of battery.

Wurger
02-10-2012, 14:47
If you have a dog attack, by the time you can go for your gun, you're knocked off your bike, on the ground, and fighting a dog that's probably on top of you already. That's one big reason why I'm looking at the LCR. In such a case, I'd prefer a revolver that will fire when the muzzle is pressed against it's target instead of a semi where the slide may get pushed out of battery.

Hadn't thought of that.....do you like the LCR over a S&W air-weight?

In revolvers, I currently have a Taurus 85 which is similar to the S&W J-frame, but it weighs around 21oz. I've got to put some thought into a 'out of battery' senerio. I had been going for a 9mm due to a perceived better barrier penetration over a .38sp.

Wurger
02-10-2012, 14:55
Hmmm....a LCR in .357 weighs 17oz.

http://ruger.com/products/lcr/models.html

I do have a S&W model 19 .357 2 1/2". It is very loud.

With a 1.875" barrel.....it might be too loud.

Thx-1138
02-13-2012, 13:04
Hmmm....a LCR in .357 weighs 17oz.

http://ruger.com/products/lcr/models.html

I do have a S&W model 19 .357 2 1/2". It is very loud.

With a 1.875" barrel.....it might be too loud.

Rented an LCR at the range yesterday (and shot a S&W Bodyguard .380 & Ruger LCP). Excellent trigger. Oh my, yes. Very accurate gun, attributable to a trigger with such a clean break that it surprises you every time.

Just a hair big for concealing in a holster in a rear jersey pocket. A holster that holds it at an angle instead of vertically will probably fix that, but would require a SOB-style draw with requisite practice to avoid sweeping yourself with the muzzle. But it'll definitely fit in my winter cycling jacket rear pockets... and fall/spring vest.

The Boot grip is a touch shorter than the standard Hogue Tamer grip, and might make the difference in concealing in a jersey pocket. I'll find out more in a couple of weeks when a gunshow comes into town and I'll be able to handle a boot grip LCR.

The trigger space on the LCR was big enough that I was able to get a winter cycling glove inside the guard, and fire multiple shots without a problem. Getting the gloved trigger finger in was something of an issue, but much easier than any other gun I'd tried for this purpose.

The Bodyguard .380, with winter gloves, was a one-shot gun. It would fire, but the trigger would not travel far enough to reset. The LCR trigger guard was too small to fit the gloved trigger finger inside.

I may end up getting the LCR for cold weather cycling, and the Bodyguard .380 for warm weather.