View Full Version : Glock 32 Damaging brass, cause malfunction
Recently picked up a Glock 32. Took it to the range with a box of WWB, got through about 22 rounds and the gun wouldn't fire. Took it apart and it was covered in metal flakes. Took it home cleaned it and went back out with the remaining rounds and after a mag and a half malfunction again. This time the barrel, slide, and frame were caked in metal flakes. This time I gathered up the spent cases and sure enough every case had a clear imprint were a chunk was rubbed off.
Called Glock they suggested trying different brand ammo. Didn't seem logical, but I am not an armorer, so I tried it. Now 150 dollars and 5 brands later I have about 120 spent cases all with the same damage.
There is a clear line that appears from just loading a round, but the major damage appears on spent brass.
Sorry for the long explanation but what should I do next?
Tried to show the damage to the casing. All rounds have identical damage.
The mark in the pic looks like a mark from the case hitting the feed ramp when being chambered. My 32 and 33 do the same thing and both have been 100% thus far. They both are kinda hard on brass but seemed to smooth out a little after a couple hundred rounds. The extractor is sharp when new and appeared to be some of the reason for the shavings.
That said you should not be having any malfunctions with the gun. What type of malfunction were you having?
First time out it stopped firing. Pull the trigger click no bang). Clean the brass shavings out and was back in action. But the shavings build up so bad that the gun starts to fail to go into battery. Have had to slam the back of the slide to get it into battery a few times think the shavings are causing the jams.
The "dent" in the pic you posted doesn't look that abnormal to me. I have a lot of brass that looks like that. Usually where I see the brass coming from is around the rim and in the extractor groove. Are you running the gun "wet" that would help hold the brass shavings?
This is the first time I've seen this in a .357SIG model, and I'm pretty sure it's the same problem that some recent production 9mm and .40 Glocks have. I believe it's the erratic ejection problem. My Gen3 G27 had the same problem, and left triangular dents/scrapes at the case mouths of the spent casings. It's interesting to see that on your spent casings, the dent/scrape appears below the necked down portion.
Do you also notice erratic ejection? Do the spent casings go anywhere other than to the right between 3 o'clock and 5 o'clock?
In my experience the problem is caused by one or both of two things. Either the extractor doesn't move freely enough which is surprisingly common with Glock's recent extractors, or the extractor sits too far forward for whatever reason.
In my Gen3 G27, I replaced the extractor and that made the ejection better, but not by much. The dents/scrapes were still appearing on the case mouths of the spent casings. I then installed the new 28926 ejector and that fixed the ejection. There were no more dents/scrapes at the case mouths of the spent casings, there were some tiny scrapes about halfway down the length of the casings. Before the new ejector, 90% of the casings ejected right, with the remaining 10% going over my head. After the new ejector, every single casing goes to the right between 3 o'clock and 5 o'clock.
The dent/scrape happens because the casing isn't firmly held to the breech face before the ejector hits it, so the casing is allowed to drop lower than normal before the ejector hits it. Because the casing is sitting lower, when it pivots to the right the case mouth impacts the slide just below the ejection port opening, then the casing begins to pivot upward and the case mouth drags on the slide at the ejection port opening.
I'd try replacing the extractor first. If you don't notice much change, call Glock and tell them you'd like to get the new 28926 ejector for your gun. They'll likely tell you to find a local Glock Armorer to order and install the part for you. If you don't have any Armorers locally, you can ask them for a prepaid shipping label to send the gun back to them and have them do it. I can't guarantee that they'll give you a prepaid shipping label but it's worth asking for one. If you send it back to them, make sure to call them and arrange it with them first. You cannot send the gun through USPS unless you have a Federal Firearms License, you have to send it overnight though Fedex or UPS.
Here are some pictures of the triangular dents/scrapes at the case mouth:
If you don't know how to detail strip Glocks, I'd suggest not trying to replace the extractor, just take it to a local Glock Armorer or send it back to Glock and request that the 28926 ejector be installed and the extractor be replaced.
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2013, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.