Kel Tec PF9 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Kel Tec PF9

KING-PIN
01-26-2012, 20:04
Hey all,

I have been interested in picking up a Kel Tec PF9 for some time now, and I finally found, what I believe to be, a good deal online. I am meeting the gentlemen saturday afternoon to purchase it. The agreed upon selling price is $260 and I am told it is in like new condition. It has 5 rounds through it and is 2-3 months old. He told me that he bought it for his wife, but she didn't much care for it so he is trying to recoup some of his money on it. It's been sitting in it's factory box ever since she decided she didn't care for it.

I called a gun shop to check the price of a new one that is in the area to make sure I wasn't overpaying for a used one and they are asking $399.99 for one which seemed a little steep, but I don't know the MSRP of one. This shop (Franklin Gun Shop in Franklin, TN) is known for overpricing their guns.

Anyways, does $260 sound reasonable for a firearm in the condition I have described? I'm not overly familiar with KT weapons so I thought I would get on here and check with you guys who may know a whole lot more about it than I.

Also, is the KT PF9 a good pistol to have as a CCW piece?

Thanks all for any responses in advance.

Pardoner
01-26-2012, 20:10
CDNN has them listed for $229. You need to take into account shipping and transfer fees.

alexanderg23
01-26-2012, 20:10
I just bought 2 for $259 each in AR.

CorkyE
01-26-2012, 20:19
They sell new around here (North GA) for 260.00ish. I'm certain this guy paid a lot more when they first came out but prices are down on similar Ruger and Taurus compacts also. I bought my LCP at the Military/LE rate and it's cheaper now than when I bought it.

Syclone538
01-26-2012, 20:19
CDNN has them for $229 new. I think the local gun stores around here are usually $269-289.

FelixD
01-26-2012, 20:21
I don't want to sound too disparaging about the PF9, but some owners have experienced a number of problems with them. You may want to read what has been posted on the Kel-tec forums.

KING-PIN
01-26-2012, 20:26
I don't want to sound too disparaging about the PF9, but some owners have experienced a number of problems with them. You may want to read what has been posted on the Kel-tec forums.

Yeah, some of those reviews don't look overly promising.

coldmcrider
01-26-2012, 20:32
I paid $199 at my LGS for my lightly used PF9. I initially had some problems (FTE/FTF) but I sent it back to Keltec and they fixed it. It was 100% reliable after I got it back.

I found it to be a great gun to carry. Small, Light, inexpensive and reliable. I prefer to shoot my G19 and G26 though since recoil on the PF9 is rather sharp.

Pete250R
01-26-2012, 21:09
I bought one last week, a parkerized one with a grey frame for $255 + tax. I put 70 or 80 rounds through it today without a single hitch. It's not a super easy to shoot pistol considering it's size and weight, but it's easy to conceal and has gone bang every time for me so far.

If you do ever have issues with it, Kel Tecs customer service is the best. They are very willing to send out free parts or even pay to send your gun in for a checkup should it not function right.

Mike357S
01-26-2012, 21:36
The PF9 goes for around $289 to slightly over $300, depending on finish, in the LGS here in TN.

I would say $260 is a fair price if it is truly just like new, but I think you should be able to get a brand new one for just a few bucks more so it's a fair deal, but the guy is likely trying to get out of it all of what he put into it, so in that regard, the deal could be better, for a KT.

mingaa
01-26-2012, 21:57
Sorry, not a great deal IMHO. http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_150/products_id/37893/Kel-Tec+PF-9+9MM+7%2B1rd+3%22+Barrel+Black+Polymer+Grips

dewidmt
01-26-2012, 22:04
I bought mine from CDNN when they had the brown ones for $199. After shipping and transfer fee it was right around $235.

Mine has been problem free for over 300 rounds. I carry it quite a bit in the summer.

Artillery
01-26-2012, 22:12
I have a P-11 and have had it several years ..I have never had one issue with it. It stays in the truck, I have put about 600 rounds through it. Last year I picked up a PF-9 and I sold it for a Ruger LC9. Before I sold it I only put two mags through it, with no problems.

wingspar
01-26-2012, 23:36
I picked one up at an LGS last summer brand new for $249. Iíve got about 500 trouble free rounds thru it. People have problems with every gun manufactured. It happens with all manufactures. You only hear about the ones that have problems, and not the untold thousands with trouble free guns. Itís got a kick to it, but then again, itís not a range gun. My other half put one mag thru it just to try it, and she had enough. Loves her .357 tho, but itís bigger and more comfortable to shoot. I own two Kel-Tec guns, the PF9 and the Sub 2000, and Iíd buy another Kel-Tec. Innovative designs and very reasonable price.

WarEagle32
01-27-2012, 00:45
That's just a bit high but not crazy. However for that money I would not buy a PF9. This is coming from a man that has owned 2 of them. Long story short is they are a decent gun that I would ALMOST trust my life to, and almost doesn't cut it. I got rid of both of mine. In that price range save a little money up and get you a bÍtter quality gun like a Ruger LC9. I have one of those and love it. It is not a ton more money and is a much better CCW. I know all this first hand. You get what you pay for and a Rugeris a little more $ for an infinite amount of peace of mind!

Fed Five Oh
01-27-2012, 06:37
That price is a little high. If you are a beginning shooter or a limp wrister, the Kel Tec is not for you.

dondulah
01-27-2012, 06:46
That is high, especially for a used one.

MrVvrroomm
01-27-2012, 06:54
Should be able to find one local for $250ish. I carry a PF9 every day. It's been 100%.

There were some big problems with the early ones.

snappy
01-27-2012, 08:03
I currently own several Kel Tec guns and have for years. I don't understand all the bashing on them constantly. I've never had any problems with mine, zero. They're fine guns and don't hesitate to buy one, too many people on here think you have to spend $500 on a concealed carry gun, boloney. I have put several hundred rounds through my pf9 and carry it constant. It is my go to gun and will do the job if I do mine.

drumr04
01-27-2012, 09:24
I can also recommend the PF-9. I've had 2. The first one (blued slide) I bought right when they came out for ~$350. I carried it for a while and got a bug up my butt and traded it in. About a year ago I got seller's remorse and decided I was going to find another. I picked up a parkerized model for $279 brand new. I carry it in a C-Tac in the summer and it disappears underneath a T-shirt.

While I never had problems with either of them, I have read the forums and understand that some have, however Kel-Tec seems to be good at fixing things.

Edit: The only 2 things I don't like: Recoil (makes my hand raw after about 50 rounds); and the trigger has a strange double click reset thing. The first click when you let the trigger out prevents you from pulling the trigger back, you have to let it all the way out for the second click so you can fire again. It's not something I would sell the gun for, but something that's a little odd for me...

coachg
01-27-2012, 09:40
I think it sounds a little high as well. I had one that had problems but when I sent it back to Keltec they replaced the entire frame. After that it was great.

It's a nice carry piece for the money no doubt.

McCleary.11
01-27-2012, 10:06
What about warranty with KT on the used gun? I thought I read on here that KT was going to start only honoring guns that where bought new by the person? It seems that if this is the case, I would buy it new or a different gun. Maybe a used LC9?

Edit: I found the GT thread on the KT warranty:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1386948&highlight=kel-tec+warranty

KarlThomas
01-27-2012, 11:07
Sounds more like he's trying to recoup ALL of his money.

If it's really in like new condition, I would probably give him $225.

wingspar
01-27-2012, 11:21
In light of the Warranty situation with Kel-Tec now, I would pass and get a new one cheaper, unless he has never filled out the warranty card. If the warranty card is still with the gun, it should be fine.

Pete250R
01-27-2012, 11:29
I have a P3AT that was owned by my father in law before me, they sent me some new frame pins 2 weeks ago without even asking for any proof of warranty.

March817
01-27-2012, 15:55
It's a good price for the hard chrome or cerekote versions; about right for the parkerized finish; a little generous for the blued finish.
The warranty card is vital. In fact it's more important than a price difference just $40 either way. You'll use far more than $40 of 9mm in no time anyway.

KING-PIN
01-27-2012, 19:01
After taking the whole warranty factor into account, I guess I'm going to go shopping for a Ruger LC9. I like a company that stands behind their products, and supporting a good ol' American company.

Pardoner
01-27-2012, 19:06
After taking the whole warranty factor into account, I guess I'm going to go shopping for a Ruger LC9. I like a company that stands behind their products, and supporting a good ol' American company.

And Keltec doesn't stand behind their product or isn't an American company?

KING-PIN
01-27-2012, 19:13
And Keltec doesn't stand behind their product or isn't an American company?

Funny, you beat me to it before I could edit my post. :supergrin:

Yes, Kel Tec is an American company AFAIK, but buying a used one does me no good as far as the warranty goes.

Besides, I just found a like new Ruger LC9 for $320 :supergrin:

unit1069
01-27-2012, 20:25
A post by another GT member warned that Kel-Tec recently changed its policy and the lifetime warranty only applies for original purchasers. I'd call Kel-Tec for a definitive answer to this question.

I've got a PF-9 and it is just the right size and caliber for deep conceal carry, but because I have never managed to get through a full 50-round box of range ammo without at least one FTE I went up to a bigger, heavier but totally reliable sub-compact pistol.

I never sent it back to Kel-Tec because the early 2nd generation P-3AT I once owned went back to Florida three different times and each time it returned it was more unreliable than when I sent it away.

Not bashing Kel-Tec, people; I'm just relating my individual experiences with their pistols.

redbaron007
01-27-2012, 20:41
Funny, you beat me to it before I could edit my post. :supergrin:

Yes, Kel Tec is an American company AFAIK, but buying a used one does me no good as far as the warranty goes.

Besides, I just found a like new Ruger LC9 for $320 :supergrin:

Contact Kel-Tec to verify the claim regarding the warranty.

If you can swing the warranty in your favor, the price is still too high; offer $200-$230.

Good Luck!

:wavey:

red

GlockPride
01-27-2012, 20:41
I had one and sold it when I got out of 9mm. Soon there after I had another one. I like that little gun and have it with me most days. I would like to pick up another one some day.
They are great for clipping to your shorts when just sitting around the house.
8 rds of 9mm is better then 5 of .38special to IMHO.

blastfact
01-27-2012, 20:56
I like my PF-9....

gadgetnut259
01-28-2012, 07:29
I don't want to sound too disparaging about the PF9, but some owners have experienced a number of problems with them. You may want to read what has been posted on the Kel-tec forums.True, but based on that logic he would want to avoid many guns.
I bought two guns in October: a Kel-Tec PF9 and a Glock 19. Guess which one I still have. The PF9. The G19 was sent back-n-forth to Glock until I got fed up and sold it. My PF9 on the other hand has been flawless. Zero issues and it's surprisingly accurate. Maybe I was just lucky and got a good one, but I love my Kel-Tec.

arrtvandelay
01-28-2012, 09:26
Had a PF9 for about 2 months, was a piece of crap. It had chronic FTE issues At first I thought it was me, then I called Kel Tec for a new extractor. That made the issue better, but not by much. I was able to go maybe 3 magazines in a row w/o a FTE with the new extractor as opposed to not being able to get through one w/ the old extractor.

I sold the PF9 for a loss and got a kahr cm9 like i should have gotten in the first place. If you get a working PF9 then you're lucky. True Kel Tec has a lifetime warranty, and good for you if yours works after a trip to the factory. After the problems mine had, there's no way I would ever trust it had it taken a trip to the factory or not...

drod
02-19-2012, 10:15
I have had my PF9 for a couple of years now. It has always been 100% with any ammo I feed it. Mine is hardened chrome. Fit and finish is not great, but I only paid $250.00 for it. It is surprisingly accurate for its size. The trigger pull is very long, but smooth. It takes some practice to get used to this long trigger pull, but with practice it can be mastered.

Haldor
02-19-2012, 12:36
Keltec has just changed their warrantee policy, previously it was no questions asked (2nd, 3rd owner, no problem), but now it is only valid for the original buyer.

Keltec CS is exceptional and with this policy change you would be doing yourself a disservice to buy a used gun for close to what you can buy a new one for.

Also what finish does the one you are thinking of buying have? The parkerized or chrome finish versions go for a premium over the blued version. If you plan on using it for CCW a premium finish is worth it. Mine is parked and the finish is holding up great.

chipinoh
02-19-2012, 19:02
I have a PF9 with only 100 rounds through it thus far. It has been flawless thus far. Recoil is sharp, so it's not a gun I'll be using hour after hour at the range. It is certainly accurate enough for the intended use. I really like the 3-dot sights. The cerakote slide on mine appears to be nicely applied and should be quite durable. I'm very happy with the purchase.

05DodgeDakota
02-19-2012, 21:27
I own a Kel-tec PF9, and I am overall happy with it. I bought it new from budsgunshopdotcom and also got 2 extra mags with the grip extensions (a must!) and a DeSanti Superfly holster for all just under $300. The Gun is cheaply made and you can tell when you pick it up and look at it, but I haven't had any real problems with it. Some of the eariler production runs had some issues with FTFs or FTEs, and since your buying used that is something to look at. Also the factory blueing is pretty thin and mine is showing alot of holster wear. The trigger pull is long and stiff, but it's accurate with a sharp recoil.

I will say this; it's a good gun for the price, but do i trust my life 100% to it? Not really, but it's what I can afford at the time and because of it's size, being the smallest and lightest weight 9mm sold, I carry it more often than I would a larger gun, and any gun is better than no gun. If I had the money I's look at the Kahr 9, or even a sig P238

troy_v
02-19-2012, 22:12
I have a PF9 that I use as my concealed carry piece. I have over 400 rounds through it total, with about 100 of those being +P. It's been 100% reliable. I am rather surprised by that, actually. Pleasantly surprised, though.

I also have a Kel Tec SU-16C. When new it exhibited numerous issues. I called up Kel Tec customer service, told them what was wrong and they had me send it back to them. They returned it quickly and addressed all of it's issues, and even included a detailed letter of exactly what they replaced and how they tested the rifle to ensure it was working properly.

So far I've been pleased with my Kel Tec purchases, especially my PF9. I'm thinking about getting one or two more to keep in my vehicles.