County prosecutor who was shot supports firearms legislation [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : County prosecutor who was shot supports firearms legislation

TBO
01-27-2012, 00:34
http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/221110/

Gunnut 45/454
01-27-2012, 10:31
Better yet why don't they allow all legal carry -not just an elite few!:faint:

gommer
01-27-2012, 10:39
I'm all for lightening some gun laws...

But, sounds like this guy is trying to make special laws and exemptions just for himself.

Funny how he became a victim and now he wants special rights, not protecting the rights of others. Shocking. :upeyes:

Best of luck to him.

HoldHard
01-27-2012, 10:48
Let me show you my "shocked face"....

http://www.1130cc.com/gallery/files/1/1/6/6/e-trade_baby.jpg

“When you attack a prosecutor, you are not just attacking an ordinary citizen,” Scannell testified.

Translation: I'm more important than the "ordinary citizens" I'm supposed to serve.

“I don’t particularly like the idea that local government officials can’t carry weapons when other citizens can,” he said.

Translation: I'm a government official so that makes me more important than you.

Chris Rovney, an assistant Blue Earth County attorney, said “Our jobs put us in an elevated zone of danger. All this bill asks for is parity with the rest of the citizens in the state. … The law as it is now is, for lack of a better word, discriminatory toward county attorneys.”

Translation: Hold on just a second. If the DA is getting a gun, damn straight I'm getting one too. Lawyers are more important than the rest of the citizens. I'm being discriminated against. (Dang if I could only play the race card.....)

HH

acg8276
01-27-2012, 10:57
I'm all for lightening some gun laws...

But, sounds like this guy is trying to make special laws and exemptions just for himself.

Funny how he became a victim and now he wants special rights, not protecting the rights of others. Shocking. :upeyes:

Best of luck to him.

That is not what I read. He is looking for stiffer penalties against perps. And also looking for County prosecutors to be able to carry at work. Prosecutors are part of the legal chain that includes police officers so....He is not supporting or suggesting that any law abiding citizens rights be infringed in any way that I see in the article. BTW he clearly states:
Of the gun bill, Scannell said he was “not a gun person” and was unlikely to carry one if it becomes law. But he said he supports the legislation.
“I don’t particularly like the idea that local government officials can’t carry weapons when other citizens can,” he said.

HerrGlock
01-27-2012, 10:59
Some pigs are more equal than others. I guess the law clerks and others at their offices can just beg for their lives.

tim12232
01-27-2012, 11:09
That is not what I read. He is looking for stiffer penalties against perps. And also looking for County prosecutors to be able to carry at work. Prosecutors are part of the legal chain that includes police officers so....He is not supporting or suggesting that any law abiding citizens rights be infringed in any way that I see in the article. BTW he clearly states:
Of the gun bill, Scannell said he was “not a gun person” and was unlikely to carry one if it becomes law. But he said he supports the legislation.

That is how I understood it as well! I say let every single person who wants to and can legally own a gun carry one as well! Not to use that whole Sam Colt made em equal line, but its the truth!

Gunnut 45/454
01-27-2012, 11:14
acg8276
But other regular citizen will not get the same "Right to carry at work"! He works I'm sure in a SECURED COURT BUILDING! So why does he need to carry there? Oh wait he wants to beable to carry after work on the way home- just like every other citizen would like to but cause they loose there jobs if they take there guns to work they can't! Give me a break- allow all citizens to carry everywhere or none at all! He's no better then anyone else!:steamed:

gommer
01-27-2012, 11:19

I'm not sure the state laws but in Arkasnas the judge can appoint someone an officer of the court and allow them to carry.

Again, I see special rules for prosecutors. He's not just asking to carry in the court, he's also asking for special priveleges anywhere he may go as part of his duties - which is basically anywhere.

He can carry in any situation a normal person could under law.

Perhaps I don't understand the problem or the solution - because what I read that he wanted was to be able to carry in court. I read the other stuff too, including special penalties and circumstances for assaulting a prosecutor - again special, special!

What I read is my problem is more important and valuable than your problem. That's what I still read - read it again just to be sure.

acg8276
01-27-2012, 11:21
acg8276
But other regular citizen will not get the same "Right to carry at work"! He works I'm sure in a SECURED COURT BUILDING! So why does he need to carry there? Oh wait he wants to beable to carry after work on the way home- just like every other citizen would like to but cause they loose there jobs if they take there guns to work they can't! Give me a break- allow all citizens to carry everywhere or none at all! He's no better then anyone else!:steamed:

Again, if you'd READ the whole thing you'd find that the courthouse is an area where the same rules would apply, NO CARRY EXCEPT POLICE AND COURTHOUSE SHERIFFS, just as they do to all the attornies and everyone else who chooses to carry. The only thing he's supporting is for the Prosecutors to be able to carry at WORK, IE: they're place of employment.

TBO
01-27-2012, 14:42
Baby steps.

pmcjury
01-27-2012, 14:58
Again, if you'd READ the whole thing you'd find that the courthouse is an area where the same rules would apply, NO CARRY EXCEPT POLICE AND COURTHOUSE SHERIFFS, just as they do to all the attornies and everyone else who chooses to carry. The only thing he's supporting is for the Prosecutors to be able to carry at WORK, IE: they're place of employment.

You may want to reread the article. It does talk about carry in the court house, just not into the court rooms.

Cornish said the bill would not affect the no-guns rule in courtrooms, and that courthouses would decide individually where else within the courthouse guns would be allowed.

Also this would be special treatment, prosecutors want a new law to protect there ability to carry a gun at work. Have you seen them introduce any law to allow the pizza delivery guy to carry at work?

RussP
01-27-2012, 16:16
Also this would be special treatment, prosecutors want a new law to protect there ability to carry a gun at work. Have you seen them introduce any law to allow the pizza delivery guy to carry at work?Where are workplace rules for local government employees established? I'll save you some time. They are established by laws passed by the legislature.

Who sets workplace rules for pizza delivery guys? The companies establish the rules for their employees, right?

Government sets the rules for government employees, private businesses set the rules for their employees, at least for now...

larry_minn
01-27-2012, 17:13
I heard him on news. IIRC there were no metal detectors in that courthouse. He made a fair agruement that it should be more serious to shoot prosecuter,judge.... Because the INTENT "may be" to stop prosecution. I agree folks involved in trials SHOULD be allowed to take training, carry. Unless there is armed security they should be allowed to carry in courtroom.
The Domestic I was jury foreman for had minimal security. Balif was 114 lbs and 70 plus yr old grandma. All female staff "clerk, judge, prosecuter,etc" When the POS got upset I decided if he came forward of his table I would do my best to drop him.

NEOH212
01-29-2012, 02:45
I guess his life is worth more than the lowly civilians. No legislation for the masses but he's special. :upeyes:

"All animals are created equal but some animals are more equal than others."

-Vladimir Lenin

No shock there.

:shakehead:

NEOH212
01-29-2012, 02:48
No company or person either private or public has the right to decide weather or not I have the right to protect myself.

That is a right given to each of us by God himself and for any man to think he/she has the right to trample it had better think again.

Rights are rights. There is a reason that they are called rights. They were made rights so they couldn't be taken away. Wouldn't the drafters of the rights had made provisions for the rights to be taken away if they intended for that to be done? (Aside from what's already outlined in the Constitution.)

Unless I wave my rights or do something to not be worthy of those rights, they are mine to decide how I exercise them so as long as I'm not hurting anybody or being destructive in the process.

I do believe that's the intention of having a right in the first place. A guaranteed freedom.

ScottieG59
01-29-2012, 03:21
I see no problem with prosecutors being armed. They face some of the worst people in society and they face risks as they perform their duties.

Prosecutors are not Luke average citizens; they are targeted as they do the job of enforcing laws.