Sccy cpx-1 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sccy cpx-1

win
01-27-2012, 17:48
Just wondering how this gun stacked up to other pocket guns?
keltec, diamondback. ruger, ect
I like my LC9. The triger takes some getting use to but a great gun for the money. I hope to get a SR9C. I will get a SR1911. I think that is a must.

M2 Carbine
01-27-2012, 18:31
Had one. I hardly ever call a gun "junk" but in this case the description fits the gun and company.

I also have Kel Tecs, Diamondback, and Ruger LCP, LC9 and SR9C.

The Kel Tecs are OK.
The Diamondback sucks.
The Rugers are good guns, especially the LC9 and SR9C.

I also have the SR1911. Also a good gun.
I've been asked to bring it back to the local gun shop three days, where I bought, so prospective customers can see it and shoot it. 10 people so far.
Many said they want one.

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/RugerSR1911.jpg

bac1023
01-27-2012, 18:56
I have a SCCY. Mine has been fine, but I wouldn't consider carrying it.

ddbtoth
01-27-2012, 20:35
I have a SCCY. Mine has been fine, but I wouldn't consider carrying it.

I think bac the only (somewhat) positive review I ever read for the gun. Saw someone at the range awhile back trying to get his to run right, with little success. So many other guns out there that seem to have much less poor press. Unless it just makes your nipples tingle, I'd pass.

bac1023
01-28-2012, 07:19
I think bac the only (somewhat) positive review I ever read for the gun. Saw someone at the range awhile back trying to get his to run right, with little success. So many other guns out there that seem to have much less poor press. Unless it just makes your nipples tingle, I'd pass.

I don't have many rounds through mine, so mabye problems haven't developed yet.

That said, my local dealer says he sells quite a few and hasn't had to ship any back yet. :dunno:

M2 Carbine
01-28-2012, 09:17
I don't have many rounds through mine, so maybe problems haven't developed yet.
The frame started showing unusual wear in the first 30 rounds or so.
Then the gun pretty much self destructed at 180 rounds.

The company quickly got such a bad reputation they changed their name from SKYY to SCCY.

What pissed me off with the company is they would not pay the shipping cost on a few week old badly defective gun.
I went to the manager where I bought the gun and he had to threated them with calling all his distributors before they would pay the shipping.

But the worst thing is SKYY called this dangerous wear "normal" for 180 rounds and sent it back to me. It looked like someone worked the slide rails over with a course file.
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/Skyyrail.jpg

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/Skyy.jpg

At the time there was a SKYY owners web site. Almost EVERYTHING broke on this gun. I can't believe they are still in business.

WiskyT
01-28-2012, 11:43
At the time there was a SKYY owners web site. Almost EVERYTHING broke on this gun. I can't believe they are still in business.

There are many people who buy guns and never shoot them. They get them for "just in case" and don't want to spend a lot of money. A cheap gun fits the bill, whether it works or not. They'd be better served with one of the Rock Island 38 revolvers that are cloned from the Detective Special. While they aint pretty, they are cheap and they work.

Adam5
01-28-2012, 11:51
The company quickly got such a bad reputation they changed their name from SKYY to SCCY.

I'm not defending these POS pistols, but the biggest reason for the name change was a lost lawsuit brought by SKYY Vodka for infringing on their trademarked name.

WiskyT
01-28-2012, 11:56
I'm not defending these POS pistols, but the biggest reason for the name change was a lost lawsuit brought by SKYY Vodka for infringing on their trademarked name.

That just shows how much thought goes into what they do. I'm suprised they didn't pick a name like Dunin' Donuts as the replacement name.

bac1023
01-28-2012, 12:50

What pissed me off with the company is they would not pay the shipping cost on a few week old badly defective gun.
I went to the manager where I bought the gun and he had to threated them with calling all his distributors before they would pay the shipping.

But the worst thing is SKYY called this dangerous wear "normal" for 180 rounds and sent it back to me. It looked like someone worked the slide rails over with a course file.

Wow, that is bad.

I think I have about 150 rounds through mine. I haven't shot it in quite a while now.

M2 Carbine
01-28-2012, 22:06
Interesting.

I could have used the Vodka when I was having trouble with that gun.:supergrin:

D3S3RT_P3NGU1N
01-28-2012, 22:09
I sure wouldn't carry one, I've heard nothing but bad things.

NeverMore1701
01-28-2012, 23:11
I wouldn't touch a Sccy or Diamondback with a 10 foot pole.

M2 Carbine
01-29-2012, 09:08
I wouldn't touch a Sccy or Diamondback with a 10 foot pole.
My Diamondback .380 was also a piece of crap.

I don't know why I keep on wasting my money being a beta tester for new guns.:upeyes:

Kadetklapp
03-13-2012, 12:54
I thought Diamondbacks were quite popular here on GT?

D3S3RT_P3NGU1N
03-13-2012, 13:08
I thought Diamondbacks were quite popular here on GT?

Nope, they're junk, the majority of folks I've seen on here who've owned them have had nothing but problems. The ones who haven't had problems yet usually haven't shot them much

Nakanokalronin
03-13-2012, 13:22
I've had less problems with Kel-Tecs but it seems the Florida based companies seem to put out some rather questionable little guns.

NeverMore1701
03-13-2012, 13:31
I've had less problems with Kel-Tecs but it seems the Florida based companies seem to put out some rather questionable little guns.

My 2nd gen P3AT and PF9 are/were 100% over several hundred rounds.

nastytrigger
03-13-2012, 13:37
I didn't believe the gun shop, but they said SCCY owners were former Kel-Tec designers? Something...

They looked like clone Kel-Tec's. I had never heard of them, let alone pronounce them.

I don't mind Kel-Tec's. I've never owned one, but I've gunsit (babysit gun) and shot two friends P11 and P3AT? (the .380 slim one).

I like the look of Diamondback's I've tours with at my LGS, but I've heard mixed reviews. I'm interested in the 9mm version.

oldnoob
03-13-2012, 13:38

Wow :shocked:. Is that a plastic rail insert or steel?

Nakanokalronin
03-13-2012, 15:35
My 2nd gen P3AT and PF9 are/were 100% over several hundred rounds.

I had a P3AT that was flawless as well as my current model. I had a PF-9 that was pretty good but my current one had peening issues on the slide and an out of spec grip and mag catch which resulted in unintentional mag drops.

Many people have good luck but even KT knows the limits of their guns by printing in their manuals, a round count life expectancy. KT is the least problematic brand, but it's interesting that all 3 companies have come from Florida with people that have come from KT. I'm not knocking KT since I've owned quite a few, but I know they are quite limited.

freedom790
03-14-2012, 09:42
My wife bought one because it fit her hand well, concealed well, and it pointed naturally for her. Within the first couple months it had several hundred rounds through it and the white insert for the front sight fell out leaving her with a blacked out front sight and two dots in the rear. Overall, I'm not impressed. Hers didn't have unnatural wear, but the whole thing looks and feels flimsy, everything from the magazine construction to the frame. Personally, I think you would be better served by a Bersa if you were trying to stay in that price range. It does, however, shoot straight and hasn't had any malfunctions as of yet. I just don't have that warm fuzzy feeling that it's not going to disintegrate in my hands on the next shot.

Would I recommend it? No, probably not. Based on the ratio of good to bad I've heard from other SCCY owners I would have to say that statistically you stand an increased chance of getting a bad pistol than not. Without putting several thousand more rounds through the gun I think it would be impossible to tell what kind of quality that my wife's is, but that gun just isn't a pleasure to shoot.

There are better options out there that will serve your needs at the same price bracket, and won't fall apart as you shoot it.

Tommy2Gun
05-11-2012, 07:08
I must say I'm pretty disappointed w/ mine. Has yet to make it thru a mag without ftf or fte. I have 9 other pistols ranging from full size to p3at and never a misfire. I also noticed that 2 scratches were forming on my slide. Well they turned out to be crack and other CPX-1 owners had the same problem. So I send it back. Got it back a few days ago and 1st off they replaced the slide with one that'd had a funky finish (stainless) 1 side was lighter that the other. which I could care less if it shoots... Well it doesn't shoots worse than before. Won't fire more than a round or 2 before jamming. Complete garbage! Avoid like the plague in my humble (but experienced) opinion. .

countrygun
05-11-2012, 09:55
My LGS ordered two, and will no longer order any more no matter how much someone wants one. They do not want to be associated, in any way, with them. I saw one when it was new and I saw what came back quickly. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Century's fine gunsmiths were moonlighting at SCCY as designers

SigFTW
05-11-2012, 10:01
I must say I'm pretty disappointed w/ mine. Has yet to make it thru a mag without ftf or fte. I have 9 other pistols ranging from full size to p3at and never a misfire. I also noticed that 2 scratches were forming on my slide. Well they turned out to be crack and other CPX-1 owners had the same problem. So I send it back. Got it back a few days ago and 1st off they replaced the slide with one that'd had a funky finish (stainless) 1 side was lighter that the other. which I could care less if it shoots... Well it doesn't shoots worse than before. Won't fire more than a round or 2 before jamming. Complete garbage! Avoid like the plague in my humble (but experienced) opinion. .

That's crazy!! I have never seen something like that! It makes you wonder about the barrel quality. :wow:

Veedubklown
05-11-2012, 14:58
My buddy had one that he asked if I wanted to look at why it wouldn't feed. I asked if it was under warranty, he said yes. He took it back to the gun store 3 times before the guy finally gave him a credit on it, because he was tired of dealing with it.

As others said, FTE/FTF. Stove pipes, bad trigger, bad ergonomics. I just plain didn't like it. I could however, get through some mags without a jam.

Every time his wife goes out with us, she shoots whatever little pocket pistol he's picked up for her, for the month, then she shoots my g26, and says, "Why haven't you gotten me one of these?".

Bruce M
05-11-2012, 16:10
Interesting.

I could have used the Vodka when I was having trouble with that gun.:supergrin:
:rofl::rofl: