Driving trip CCW question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Driving trip CCW question

GlocknSpiehl
01-27-2012, 19:01
This is more for a discussion, rather than a request for information. :wavey:

If you are driving for a trip (vacation, business, whatever) where you will be away from home for greater than a few hours or more than 150 miles and assuming your CCW will be legal throughout your trip:

1. Besides your normal CCW weapon and possible additional concealed magazine, do you bring along extra ammunition in the form of other loaded magazines or a box of cartridges?

2. Do you change what type of ammunition you carry?

3. DO you bring along a BUG, pepper spray or a long arm?

4. Do you change to a different CCW weapon? e.g. Semi to revolver, larger/smaller size

5. Do you choose a hotel/motel in part on its room security? e.g. Motor court vs inside rooms

6. When staying in a motel/hotel room, do you keep your pistol out for easy access or in a drawer, partially or fully concealed while you are sleeping?

For me I generally take my G19 & usual concealed spare magazine with my usual Gold Dots. I usually take 1 extra magazine in the glovebox loaded with FMJ. I always have a can of pepper spray in every car. I don't take a bug or anything else. I do prefer to stay in a motel with inside doors, not a motor court. If the room has a connecting door to another room, I will wedge a chair under that door. I usually keep the pistol in an open drawer in my night stand and a small flashlight on the night stand.

Other opinions? ANy other ideas?

racer88
01-27-2012, 19:19
1. Besides your normal CCW weapon and possible additional concealed magazine, do you bring along extra ammunition in the form of other loaded magazines or a box of cartridges?

No.

No.

I normally carry pepper spray every day. So, no change there.

4. Do you change to a different CCW weapon? e.g. Semi to revolver, larger/smaller size

Nope.

5. Do you choose a hotel/motel in part on its room security? e.g. Motor court vs inside rooms

No.

6. When staying in a motel/hotel room, do you keep your pistol out for easy access or in a drawer, partially or fully concealed while you are sleeping?

Depends on whether I've got the kids with me.

Unistat
01-27-2012, 21:28

I have a Get Home Bag in the car with extra loaded mags.

No.

I usually stash my S&W 13 in the door pocket for long trips as well as having my G23 on my hip. I keep a SU-16 in the Get Home Bag.

No.

No.

I keep my G23 on the nightstand or nearby no matter where I am sleeping. I don't worry about whether it's concealed.

Cali-Glock
01-27-2012, 21:49
Typically a second gun. Sometimes additional ammo

harrygunner
01-27-2012, 23:36
In California, 150 miles is not long distance. We drive that far for lunch. :tongueout:

I figure, traveling is more dangerous than being in town. In a strange city, you may not know that a highway exit leads to a bad area. You are more likely to get lost. You'll spend more time than normal at gas stations, rest areas and motels.

This month, I took a ~1700 mile round trip. I carry all the time I'm in my clothes, so nothing changes with that. Did add my S&W 640-1 .357 Mag J-frame in an ankle holster.

I always bring a backpack that holds under layers, tarp, rope, Ham transceiver, emergency food, batteries, GPS, knife, survival book, extra ammo. If the car breaks down in the middle of nowhere at night, I'll be good till help arrives. Also have a portable tire inflator, that runs off the cigarette lighter, in the trunk.

I research possible lodging on www.tripadvisor.com (http://www.tripadvisor.com) and get a street level view on Google Maps. I do confirm that adjoining doors and windows are locked. Also leave the "do not disturb" sign on the whole time I'm there. If I need extra things, I'll ask the maid. When I leave the room, I keep the television on. My intention is to make it more difficult to know if I'm in the room or not.

Almost forgot, emergency CD's. Nothing on the radio!

racer88
01-28-2012, 06:18
Also leave the "do not disturb" sign on the whole time I'm there. If I need extra things, I'll ask the maid. When I leave the room, I keep the television on. My intention is to make it more difficult to know if I'm in the room or not.

I do those things, as well.

Misty02
01-28-2012, 06:26
The last time we went to Orlando there were 6 of us, 4 of us are licensed to carry and did. That pretty much did away with the need to take an additional firearm in case something happened to the primary. Everyone has at least one spare mag, for some time now Iíve been carrying two. We always travel with vehicle safe for each. Iíve always had extra ammo in the vehicle (FMJ practice ammo), Iíve reduced the amount since I found myself extending my regular range visits, just because I had all that extra ammo handy (no will power), this exceeded my budget for each trip. We have other self-defense tools in the car; some of those are tools with other purposes as well. I donít use hotel safes or any other safe that isnít mine and others are likely to have access to.

Wingnut357
01-28-2012, 14:15
Nope. Usually no change.

Less to remember when I might not have time for introspection.

xmanhockey7
01-28-2012, 14:45
Nope

No, why would I?

I do bring a BUG. I always carry a BUG when possible and if you use your gun in SD it can be taken as evidence. I want another gun I can have to defend myself with.

No, not really.

No

Leave it in my holster near me.

dosei
01-28-2012, 15:28

Normal EDC is 1 or 2 spare mags, when traveling the minimum spare mag count would be 2.

No

Sometimes I may bring along a BUG (if I'm going hunting, 3 gun match, etc., then the appropriate arms for the planned activities would also be along.)

No

No

Depends

Bruce M
01-28-2012, 16:30
If I am traveling most likely I would have less ammunition and one instead of more guns because if I am traveling I am going to be further away from places like Miami Gardens or Overtown.

John Biltz
01-29-2012, 13:37

I generally throw my AR in 6.5 Grendel in the trunk if I'm going 100 miles or more. It will have 7 magazines because Uncle Sam taught me to always have at least seven magazine with an AR and it will be in a bag of some kind that does not look like a rifle case. If I leave Phoenix I'm in the desert and in rifle country so I take a rifle. I always have two spare magazines for my carry in the car so no need for more. I always have my EDC on me if I'm dressed and it always is beside me when I sleep. The only reason to switch ammo is if you are going to bear country and go to a heavy load but since my carry is 9mm and I don't ever go to bear country, no I never do.

BrewerGeorge
01-30-2012, 21:42
I used to drive about 2000 miles each month for work, and I put together a car kit at the time which I still have. Sort of a mini-BUG. No change in weapons, although I keep an extra box of ammo in the truck all the time, so it's not really a relevant question for me. In a hotel room, it's in the drawer.

GlocknSpiehl
01-31-2012, 15:26
The reason I asked about changing weapons was if one type of pistol might be more comfortable to wear in the car than another. e.g. Changing a G17 to a G26