Colt ar15 sporter a2 pre ban? please help! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Colt ar15 sporter a2 pre ban? please help!

bc35339
01-27-2012, 21:36
Not sure if Im posting this in the right spot?
I have a guy trying to trade me a gun and I know nothing about it. I think it may be pre ban. Not even sure what that means.
Can someone ples give me a ideal of what the resale of this would be?
The ser # is sp 355080
This list looks to me like it would be per ban?
http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/ar15serial.html
Ill post a picture of it

Feanor
01-27-2012, 21:47
That appears to be a rare green label Colt pre-ban lower, it's seen some hard use, whats he looking for?

bc35339
01-27-2012, 21:52
I have a trailer that I have $1,800 in and he is wanting to trade me. Should I trade? What could I get out of the gun? I know nothing about colts.

Feanor
01-27-2012, 22:29
I'm not sure, it needs to be cleaned up a bit, I think by the serial number it's a later 80's manufacture. I know this, on the auction sites the ones in 98% plus condition are getting around $2500.00, or more. All I'm confident in telling you is that you should have it looked at by a competent gunsmith, or just wait and see who else drops in, and see what they have to say.

It's a cool rifle, having the heavy barrel, they were renown for their accuracy.

01-27-2012, 22:33
The lower is pre ban. I think the upper should have A2 sites, not the A1 the one in the pict has. Also the parkerizing color doesn't match the lower.

bc35339
01-27-2012, 22:41
The lower is pre ban. I think the upper should have A2 sites, not the A1 the one in the pict has. Also the parkerizing color doesn't match the lower.
What would you value what you see?

01-27-2012, 22:48
What would you value what you see?

I don't know. It's been a while since I bought or sold a a Colt AR.

Thinking about it a little more, those A1 sites may be correct.

01-27-2012, 23:00
The thing about sporters is that they are transitional models and there were changes throughout the production run, but it's been so long that I don't remember what the differences are between a SP1, Sporter 2 or Sporter HBAR.

themighty9mm
01-27-2012, 23:15
That appears to be a rare green label Colt pre-ban lower, it's seen some hard use, whats he looking for?
Where are you seeing that it had seen some hard use? The minor "imperfections" appear they would quickly come out with some very light oil.

bc35339
01-28-2012, 06:50
The guy tol me that his dad left it to him and his dad never shoot it. He said he has put 5 rounds through it. I dont know if his dad bought it new or not.
Can anyone tell me what it would sale for?

Glockdude1
01-28-2012, 06:56
Can anyone tell me what it would sale for?

$1500 max.

:cool:

H&K 4 LIFE
01-28-2012, 07:02
Looks just like my dad's pre-ban AR-15.

The old style Hartford "horsey" lower (front receiver pin is larger then what they use now) and it has the A1 style fixed carry handle and sights as well.

So it is indeed a pre-ban and the upper/sights are correct.

I have no idea as to current value, as in CT this is also a non-transferable "assault weapon". I think he paid around $700 back before the AWB!

bc35339
01-28-2012, 07:12
being non transferable does that hurt the value?

zhix
01-28-2012, 08:53
Local pawn shop had this same rifle, IIRC, for about $1700. It's probably still sitting there as it has been for the past two years.

These older Colts do have collector value, as far a the Blue Book is concerned, but I personally would not a pay a premium for those models with non-spec large pins and cutt off bolt carriers.

jrs93accord
01-28-2012, 09:19
Looks just like my dad's pre-ban AR-15.

The old style Hartford "horsey" lower (front receiver pin is larger then what they use now) and it has the A1 style fixed carry handle and sights as well.

So it is indeed a pre-ban and the upper/sights are correct.

I have no idea as to current value, as in CT this is also a non-transferable "assault weapon". I think he paid around $700 back before the AWB!

I am curious, what makes this a "non-transferable Assault Weapon" in CT? It is, afterall, a semi-automatic rifle just like any other semi-auto AR15 on the market today.

To the OP, the upper and lower are correct. As far as value, I would allow around $1200 for the Colt + $600 cash on the trade to begin with. The max I would go would be $1500 (Colt) + $300 cash. In years to come, the Colt will gain more in value, the trailer will not.

M&P15T
01-28-2012, 09:25
I am curious, what makes this a "non-transferable Assault Weapon" in CT? It is, afterall, a semi-automatic rifle just like any other semi-auto AR15 on the market today.

To the OP, the upper and lower are correct. As far as value, I would allow around $1200 for the Colt + $600 cash on the trade to begin with. The max I would go would be $1500 (Colt) + $300 cash. In years to come, the Colt will gain more in value, the trailer will not.

Sorry, but that Colt looks in rough shape, and it's probably not going to go up in value. The actual current value of that rifle is damn near impossible to figure out now, much less 10+ years down the road.

To tell someone that their rifle is going to go up in value as if it's an investment is stupid. It might, but even if it did, it would have a higher value only for a select few internet AR enthusiasts interested in very specific models that look like Cold War era M16s, in mint condition with box and papers. For everyone else, it's just an older AR missing most of the features people currently like.

I'd offer the guy $600, there's nothing special about that rifle, no reason to believe that it will ever increase in value or become a collectors item. Current ARs with much more features (that don't have weird pin sizes) are dropping like stones price-wise with the glut of AR manufacturers on the market. It does not have a flat top with a rail, a removable carry handle, it has weird pin-sizes, has no collapsable stock, etc., etc.

These ARs appreciate in value for only a specific, select few, which would make them hard to sell. To think otherwise is foolish. And as with anything for sale, it's value is strictly what someone is willing to pay for it, not what a book says.

Line Rider
01-28-2012, 10:26
The gun looks all factor. I wouldn't consider it a collector's gun, because it does not have the box, paper or orginal mag. It would be a shooter to me.

A few things I'd think about are;

What is you're trailer worst?

Do I have a need the trailer? Do I have a need for a COLT AR-15?

H&K 4 LIFE
01-28-2012, 16:11
I am curious, what makes this a "non-transferable Assault Weapon" in CT? It is, afterall, a semi-automatic rifle just like any other semi-auto AR15 on the market today...

The state of CT has it's own AWB that did not sunset with the federal ban. The Colt Sporter and Sporter II are directly named in the ban. This means they are considered an "assault weapon" and are illegal in the eyes of state of CT.

The only way to posses an assault weapon was to register it back before the AWB took effect, sometime in September of 1994. Upon registering the rifle, an assault weapons certificate was issued (which my father obtained) and the rifle was from there on out legal to posses. Except by estate, an assault weapon in CT is a non-transferable item.

Now mind you many other brands of AR-15 are entirely legal (minus the "evil" bayonet lug, flash hider and collapsible stock).

In the end, it's just another asinine law made by politicians who know nothing about firearms and therefore create stupid laws surrounding them, restricting law abiding citizens from owning firearms that would otherwise be considered common place in other states.

I hope I have explained this ridiculousness well enough for you to understand. :)

Line Rider
01-28-2012, 16:24
The state of CT has it's own AWB that did not sunset with the federal ban. The Colt Sporter and Sporter II are directly named in the ban. This means they are considered an "assault weapon" and are illegal in the eyes of state of CT...

I hope I have explained this ridiculousness well enough for you to understand. :)

This why I live in Red Neck, Backwoods Alabama :rofl:

WoodenPlank
01-28-2012, 16:43
being non transferable does that hurt the value?

He's referring to a Connecticut-specific law. Depending on where you live, it's most likely that it won't affect you in the least.

jrs93accord
01-28-2012, 16:50
The state of CT has it's own AWB that did not sunset with the federal ban. The Colt Sporter and Sporter II are directly named in the ban. This means they are considered an "assault weapon" and are illegal in the eyes of state of CT.

The only way to posses an assault weapon was to register it back before the AWB took effect, sometime in September of 1994. Upon registering the rifle, an assault weapons certificate was issued (which my father obtained) and the rifle was from there on out legal to posses. Except by estate, an assault weapon in CT is a non-transferable item.

Now mind you many other brands of AR-15 are entirely legal (minus the "evil" bayonet lug, flash hider and collapsible stock).

In the end, it's just another asinine law made by politicians who know nothing about firearms and therefore create stupid laws surrounding them, restricting law abiding citizens from owning firearms that would otherwise be considered common place in other states.

That explained it very well. It is a shame that CT, along with a couple other states, has not joined "Free" America. I bought a handgun from a guy in CT last year. What he had to go through to unregister it in his name and have it shipped was simply crazy. There is something to be said about living in "Free" America. Florida is a great place to live. Thanks again for the explaination. I learned something today. :thumbsup:

fnfalman
01-29-2012, 01:41
I don't know about specific state laws, but that rifle looks right. It was the transitional model with mish mash features between the A1 and A2 models.

Colt did some really funky stuff with their AR-15s back in the days. They tried to make it "non-military". They were also the first one to eliminate the bayonet lug before there was even any laws against bayonet lugs.

bc35339
01-29-2012, 21:49
so would the value be $600-$900 or $1200-$1500 or $1600-$1800?

byf43
01-30-2012, 08:34
Colt did some really funky stuff with their AR-15s back in the days. They tried to make it "non-military". They were also the first one to eliminate the bayonet lug before there was even any laws against bayonet lugs.

Well said!
My (Pre-Ban) Colt Sporter Match H-BAR doesn't have a bayonet lug.
It does have a 'trigger block' that's "Blind-pinned" into place, and it doesn't have take-down pivot pin. It has a darned screw.

One thing is does have. . . . accuracy!!! This rifle shoots sub-MOA out to 300 yards!

The Colt Sporter Match H-BAR is the ONE AR variant that doesn't have to be registered (as handguns are) in Maryland.
Any AR with a government or 'sporter' contour has to be registered with MSP, and a minimum 7 day waiting period.
(The FFL that sold me that AR sent in the paperwork to MSP, so, MY H-BAR is registered!):steamed:

MoneyMaker
01-30-2012, 08:57
$600 is all i would go