Anyone go thumbs forward on a wheelgun? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone go thumbs forward on a wheelgun?

Diesel McBadass
01-27-2012, 20:38
Saw a team S&W shooter doing it, but know most wheelgun guys dothumb over thumb. Wondering how much luck people get with thumbs forward on a revo id like to try doing it so im consistent between my guns. Ive gone to thumbs forward since getting my cz and now that my revolvers almost repaired ill be shootin that again soon.

klampton317
01-27-2012, 20:40
I dont know. I feel like I tried that once and got my thumb rocked by gasses escaping from the cylinder. I decided not to do that again.

Zombie Steve
01-27-2012, 20:44
Yep. Potentially bad news.

brob2425
01-27-2012, 20:45
I do thumbs forward with my 638, it just feels more natural as that's how I shoot with my other guns. It feels awkward trying to change my grip for a particular gun. I prefer consistency.

K.Kiser
01-27-2012, 20:55
I've never been a real fan of doing much of anything textbook style unless it's a mechanical or mathematical issue... I think you'll do best doing whatever feels right to your hand and stance...

Diesel McBadass
01-27-2012, 21:02
I know theres the pic of the guys thumb blown off but he was grabbing frame not grip. And the thumbs would be well bwlow forcing cone anyway, and i shoot 38s 90 percent of the time. Ill try it out when i get my 669 back.

Berto
01-27-2012, 21:03
I shoot them thumbs forward.

ronin.45
01-27-2012, 21:39
It kind of depends on your thumbs. I have long thumbs and if I go forward my strong thumb gets bashed by the blasts shield while my weak thumb gets burned. Needless to say, this is not my preferred method.

m2hmghb
01-27-2012, 22:07
I typically do thumbs down. I dont like the crossover grip because if you do it on an auto the slide runs over your thumb. I don't want to get into the habit of 2 different grips so I use the same on both auto and revolver

WayaX
01-27-2012, 22:55
I like my thumbs, therefore I tuck them down for revolvers.

hogship
01-28-2012, 00:05
Depending on hand size, frame size, and grips, most people will just do whatever feels right and comfortable for them......and, that means it all "depends". The main thing it to keep your body parts out of the way of the cylinder leading edge.

ooc

Bruce M
01-28-2012, 08:05
I like my thumbs, therefore I tuck them down for revolvers.

I agree - opposable thumbs rock!

TN.Frank
01-28-2012, 11:16
I've never shot thumb over, that's a bad habit that'll come back to bite you when you switch over to a semi-auto. Always shot Modified Weaver, thumbs forward.

fastbolt
01-28-2012, 14:27
Nope.

Curled master (right) hand thumb. It's a controllability & grip technique issue.

Left thumb? Well, since I spent my years as a young man shooting SA revolvers, my L/thumb was always prepped and available for thumb-cocking fast subsequent shots. It stays up/off and out of the way (but not forward, as hot gasses from the B/C gap demand the right-of-way in wheelguns).

As the days of wheelgunners still remaining in LE are coming to a close (simply because of aging, retirements, etc), it's not uncommon to see a newer revolver owner/shooter bring their new gun through a range qual, and try to use a thumbs-forward grip. It only takes a few times for them to have the rear of the cylinder edge split their thumb nail open, or the latch maul their thumb knuckle, and they start to suspect something is amiss. :shocked:

Since my young years were pretty evenly divided between the 1911 and the SA revolver, I didn't have any trouble learning and practicing the best grip to use with each. My later adoption of those new-fangled, trigger-cocking wheelguns ... and then the weird contraptions known as "traditions double action" pistols (DA/SA to many folks) ... didn't give me much trouble when it came to adapting my revolver/pistol grip techniques to them. I've long thought that someone who learns their handgunning foundation skills on revolvers, and especially using Magnum revolvers, can more easily make the transition to pistols than the other way around.

mr00jimbo
01-28-2012, 14:47
I saw a guy at the range shoot with his right hand on the grip, and his left hand wrapped around his right wrist. I thought this looked odd, but he was shooting amazingly in double-action. What's the name of this grip position?

Dot_mdb
01-28-2012, 14:59
I shoot thumbs forward without a problem. Of course now that I am aware of the potential problems I will probably wind up with thumbnails torn off, bloody knuckles and burned fingertips.

Bill

ca survivor
01-28-2012, 15:01
I got to go and shoot my wheel guns, it's been a long time. :crying:

ca survivor
01-28-2012, 15:03
I saw a guy at the range shoot with his right hand on the grip, and his left hand wrapped around his right wrist. I thought this looked odd, but he was shooting amazingly in double-action. What's the name of this grip position?
crazy ? :rofl:

fastbolt
01-28-2012, 15:09
I shoot thumbs forward without a problem. Of course now that I am aware of the potential problems I will probably wind up with thumbnails torn off, bloody knuckles and burned fingertips.

Bill

:rofl:

Hey, everyone's hands can fit the wheelies differently. What was a really bad idea for one shooter sometimes didn't have any ill effect for another shooter, etc.

The one thing that is always a bad idea is to reach out and intrude upon the zone where the hot gases (fragments, burnt powder, etc) escape the B/C gap. In the newer really heavy & powerful calibers, like the .500 S&W Magnum or the .460 S&W, this can quickly result in loss of body parts.

When a S&W rep brought some .500's around for us to try out one day (with free ammo), he was adamant in making sure our folks knew to keep their fingers & thumbs away from the B/C gaps, explaining how he knew of someone who had lost part of their hand from the hot gasses, not having paid attention to the safety warnings when shooting one of their big, new X-frame revolvers.

ithaca_deerslayer
01-28-2012, 18:04
I shoot weak thumb on top of, and locking down, the strong thumb. Basically what you guys are calling thumbs down :)

I shoot that way on all handguns, revolver, semi-auto, and single-shot.

I'd like to hear some stories of slide abrasion from the thumbs forward guys :)

roadkill46
01-28-2012, 18:10
NO, and there is a video out there of a guy shooting thumbs forward on a S&W 500 and it takes his thumb off! those gasses and lead splatter exit that little slot pretty fast. I only own 4 wheel guns 2 don't get shot, safe queens but the other 2 snubbies, i have to make sure and 'cup and saucer' modified grip for them. i don't CCW them much unless i just grab the one by the door on the way out to get some beer from the store or some thing and throw it in my pocket.

NEOH212
01-28-2012, 18:19
I haven't ever been able to shoot a revolver with any other grip than the over thumb grip.

wingspar
01-28-2012, 18:23
Watch a video of a revolver being shot at night, and you wonít Ever want to shoot with your thumbs forward. Gasses escape at the rear of the cylinder, and that canít feel good. If your thumb is long enough to reach the forward part of the cylinder near the forcing cone, well, thatís going to hurt.

Mythbusters did this once. They did manage to blow the thumb off, but it was forward by the forcing cone, and I think they may have used a S&W 500, but it may have been a .44 mag. I forget. I have fired my .357 at night on video, and I donít want my thumbs anywhere near the cylinder. Yes, my grip is different with revolvers.

byf43
01-28-2012, 18:24

I watched an old Jeff Cooper video, and he described that grip as (paraphrasing) "Someone that doesn't have the strength to hold their weapon."

Dirty Harry shot his S&W mdl 29 like that, in one of the movies.

I grasp a revolver the same as I do a semi-auto.
Thumbs curved, naturally grasping the gripframe.
Works for me!!

esh325
01-28-2012, 18:27
I use to do it. Nothing bad happened other then dirty fingers from the powder. I don't think I would recommend it though. In the NRA basic safety course I took, they recommend a thumb over thumb grip with revolvers.

bac1023
01-28-2012, 18:45
Yep. Potentially bad news.

:agree:

Not a real good idea.

Berto
01-28-2012, 20:39
It looks like I actually cross my thumbs when shooting DA revolvers, based on actually paying attention to how I was shooting a few hours ago. I shoot autos thumbs forward.