First Concealed Carry Experience [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First Concealed Carry Experience

Amsdorf
01-28-2012, 06:58
Today was the first day I strapped on my Glock 26 and set out for my first concealed carry experience. I decided to go big, or go home, so I attended a "state of the city" presentation at a large downtown hotel ballroom, with about 1,000 people there and the chief government officials of several counties and our city in our metropolitan region, in fact, I was seated about twenty feet from the podium.

Once I got my Galco KingTuk IWB on, it was very comfortable and I really did not feel the weight, in fact, it seemed to keep my pants up better. Riding in the car? Not so comfortable.

Had no problems walking or moving around with the IWB on, sitting through the breakfast, etc. When I got to work, the IWB was uncomfortable in my office chair, so I took it off and took the gun to the car and locked it up.

It was a strange but good feeling knowing I was exercising my 2A rights as fully as possible, for the first time.

Misty02
01-28-2012, 08:01
Iím glad you had a positive first carry experience! Hopefully it remains something you always have but never need.

Donít forget to check the prohibited places in your state. A vehicle safe, if you donít already have one, is also very useful and inexpensive.

Good luck! :wavey:

drew4691
01-28-2012, 08:06
Good for you! I hope you find something more comfortable when you're at work so you don't have to leave it in your car. (smart carry, ankle holster maybe?)

Amsdorf
01-28-2012, 08:25
I'm already considering getting a SIG P238 and going ankle holster.

Henning
01-28-2012, 08:57
I am glad you had a good experience! I've always had trouble with ankle holsters falling down, but that's just me. You should have no problem concealing a 26 anywhere while at work. I'm assuming you work in an office so depending on the dress you will have to make some decisions about what works for you. I have heard many people talk about smart carry as being great, but I don't have one so I can't speak to it. Good luck and keep us updated!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Lior
01-28-2012, 09:25
Iím glad you had a positive first carry experience! Hopefully it remains something you always have but never need.

+1. Nicely said.

roadkill46
01-28-2012, 09:41
i've been a CCW holder in AZ for a long time and an open carry sometimes also. IMHO there are a few phases of CCW.
1. you get your gun, become proficient at it and decide to apply for your CCW (you are in a no open carry)

2. you get CCW, then go through every holster, belt, pants, shirt, coat combo in front of a mirror worry about you printing!+
3. you finally make the plunge and go out. you think everyone in the world is looking at you since they KNOW you have a weapon (most sheeple don't even look at you enough to give a report to the police on what you look like)

4. after a year or so you get into an apathetic phase that "oh the guns too heavy, what a hassle putting this holster on all the time, i'm only going to the store, etc. so you quit carrying all the time like you used to.

5. you put them all away and quit carrying period, for awhile, until something jars you to start carrying again like a murder in your area or some type of violent crime that could have been you.

6. you buy something lighter and more comfortable but gets the job done, have the right GOOD gun belt and holsters for whatever you wear (i have different holsters for different pants due to loop separation and holster fit) and you know carry everywhere. even if it is a .380 in a Nemesis holster to run get a 6 pack, you still have something.

I like to go into stores and while i'm pushing the cart and the wife is shopping, i look for people whom i think are CCW'ing. kinda fun, better than looking at hamburger prices.

this is what i have observed in the full circle of CCW. you may have seen it also. best thing is to try not to fall into the trap to begin with and buy all your equipment correctly the first time. Who want's to carry that big .44 mag all day? pants will be saggin like a gangster by the time the day is done, when that 28 ounce Walther P99AS compact 9mm with Critical Defense is sitting there in kydex.

xmanhockey7
01-28-2012, 13:16
If sitting down with it bothers you have you considered a shoulder holster? With exception of pocket carry IMHO the shoulder holster is the best way to carry when sitting down. OWB is pretty good too.

BailRecoveryAgent
01-28-2012, 15:46
When I got to work, the IWB was uncomfortable in my office chair, so I took it off and took the gun to the car and locked it up.

How big are you? What position are you wearing the gun in? I'm a big guy and I'm carrying a full size SIG right now in my office chair and I can't tell I have it on. A G26 should be a breeze to carry.

xmanhockey7
01-28-2012, 15:49
How big are you? What position are you wearing the gun in? I'm a big guy and I'm carrying a full size SIG right now in my office chair and I can't tell I have it on. A G26 should be a breeze to carry.

What works for you may not for the OP.

OP: It may be a matter of just getting used to carrying.

racer88
01-28-2012, 15:53
If sitting down with it bothers you have you considered a shoulder holster? With exception of pocket carry IMHO the shoulder holster is the best way to carry when sitting down. OWB is pretty good too.

It may be a simple matter of repositioning the IWB holster. It's amazing what a difference it can make just moving the rig one inch forward when it comes to sitting comfortably.

Find the sweet spot. It takes time. It also will be better when the holster leather is broken in a bit.

Your mileage may vary. But, I wear a G27 in a Supertuck or Maxtuck all day long at about the 3.30 - 4.00 position. Sit, drive, stand, walk... all good.

anubisgodofgods
01-28-2012, 19:27
i've been a CCW holder in AZ for a long time and an open carry sometimes also. IMHO there are a few phases of CCW.
1. you get your gun, become proficient at it and decide to apply for your CCW (you are in a no open carry)

2. you get CCW, then go through every holster, belt, pants, shirt, coat combo in front of a mirror worry about you printing!+
3. you finally make the plunge and go out. you think everyone in the world is looking at you since they KNOW you have a weapon (most sheeple don't even look at you enough to give a report to the police on what you look like)

4. after a year or so you get into an apathetic phase that "oh the guns too heavy, what a hassle putting this holster on all the time, i'm only going to the store, etc. so you quit carrying all the time like you used to.

5. you put them all away and quit carrying period, for awhile, until something jars you to start carrying again like a murder in your area or some type of violent crime that could have been you.

6. you buy something lighter and more comfortable but gets the job done, have the right GOOD gun belt and holsters for whatever you wear (i have different holsters for different pants due to loop separation and holster fit) and you know carry everywhere. even if it is a .380 in a Nemesis holster to run get a 6 pack, you still have something.

I like to go into stores and while i'm pushing the cart and the wife is shopping, i look for people whom i think are CCW'ing. kinda fun, better than looking at hamburger prices.

this is what i have observed in the full circle of CCW. you may have seen it also. best thing is to try not to fall into the trap to begin with and buy all your equipment correctly the first time. Who want's to carry that big .44 mag all day? pants will be saggin like a gangster by the time the day is done, when that 28 ounce Walther P99AS compact 9mm with Critical Defense is sitting there in kydex.

Not at all how it happened for me. I purchased a gun, a holster and some good SD ammo. I holstered the loaded weapon, threw on my light weight jacket and went about my daily activities. I knew that my weapon was concealed so All those thoughts you had never crossed my mind and still don't today.

jellis11
01-28-2012, 19:50
I have the same setup as you. Been carrying for a while. I have no problems with vehicles. What position do you carry it? Im pretty skinny and have no probs with concealment even with slim shirts. Enjoy!
Be safe. practice your draw. be happy

MinnesnowtaWild
01-29-2012, 01:50
Congrats on the CCW and I hope you can find a system that works for you. What works for some doesn't work for others. There are so many threads I see where people say "Oh come on, I carry this or that full size so you should have no problems with your Glock 26". Well, everyone is built differently. Some people have physical defects, some people are big and have more cushion, some people are really skinny and carry is uncomfortable with a Glock double stack pistol.

I am 6'0" and 140 lbs and I like to carry my Glock 26 but I will admit it's not always very comfortable. However, I do not have a good holster yet. The only time the gun is really uncomfortable is when sitting in the car.

jellis11
01-29-2012, 07:50
I do think a better belt would help me out A LOT. Maybe you as well?

ca survivor
01-29-2012, 08:06
you will get to the point that it will be uncomfortable, if you don't have it on...:cool:

ScaryPerryDawsy
01-29-2012, 09:30
I have the same setup as you. Been carrying for a while. I have no problems with vehicles. What position do you carry it? Im pretty skinny and have no probs with concealment even with slim shirts. Enjoy!
Be safe. practice your draw. be happy
+2 I carry the exact same setup. I have used other holsters in the past and find the kingtuk to be very comfortable. A good belt should help as well as what others have said about positioning the holster.

roadkill46
01-29-2012, 10:42
i did not say the "circle of CCW" happened to me, i have always carried and have found what works for me best. but this cycle has happened to friends of mine, downtown..ask friend..you packing? friend: no to much of a hassle. me: great (packing) back up.

pizza_pablo
01-29-2012, 19:29
Riding in the car? Not so comfortable.

When I got to work, the IWB was uncomfortable in my office chair, so I took it off and took the gun to the car and locked it up.

I'm glad to hear that you mostly had a good experience.

Try rotating the gun to the rear. I have a Crossbreed Supertuck (similar to King Tuk) and wear my 27 at 8:00 - 8:30 (lefty). This places the grip nearly parallel to my back.
Adjust it periodically to find that sweet spot including cant, belt holes, etc.
I am confident you will get used to it. Wearing a gun takes getting used to.
:wavey:

HerrGlock
01-30-2012, 04:22

You've gone about it wrong, obviously.

Get good stuff the first time and you don't go through the non-carrying stage and you don't end up whining about droopy pants.

I've carried a Glock 23 for about 15 years and a Sig 245 for 7 now. Those are not super light and I've never had an issue with them.

Pay the money and get a gun belt and a quality holster and don't try to put your $700 gun into a $25 gun show holster with a $10 Wal-Mart belt and you'll find it's a whole different ball game.