Police officer killed by another while being arrested [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Police officer killed by another while being arrested

WarCry
01-28-2012, 16:21
This story is just bad from start to finish. My heart goes out to the families of all involved, but particularly to the arresting officer. That's gone to add a bit of weight to the soul....

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/28/10259852-police-officer-shot-killed-by-fellow-officer-trying-to-arrest-him

One note: Making this arrest, based on the circumstances given, seems odd that they would have done it while he was on duty. I'd have thought it would be a better idea to do this when he's NOT working, but what do I know?

nikerret
01-28-2012, 16:46
There is a thread in GNG regarding this. There are many more questions than answers, at this point.

Will be interestting to see what else comes out about this, information wise.

Patchman
01-28-2012, 16:50
Never an easy issue, tactically.

Sharky7
01-28-2012, 16:57
Who knows, on duty might be the best time....If they asked to talk with him in lockup and broke the news there.

Sad story any way you look at it.

Dragoon44
01-28-2012, 17:08
If his response to being told he was under arrest was to draw and shoot at them he was a *********, good riddance to him.

1041TX
01-28-2012, 17:11
I can't even imagine. Horrible situation all around.

Posted on my iCrack......errr iPhone.

Ajon412
01-28-2012, 17:26
If his response to being told he was under arrest was to draw and shoot at them he was a *********, good riddance to him.

Yea, good call......

bnkrtstk
01-28-2012, 17:38
He knew what would happen if he drew, I feel for the officer he forced to kill him.

Ajon412
01-28-2012, 17:51
He knew what would happen if he drew, I feel for the officer he forced to kill him.

Not only did he draw down, but let rounds go.......Suicide by Cop by Cop??????:dunno:

collim1
01-28-2012, 17:59

His response leaves no doubt in my mind that he did what he was accused of.

Dragoon, the idea of asking him to the jail to make the arrest is genius. Probably the best possible way it could be done.

razdog76
01-28-2012, 17:59

Dishonorable enough to have put himself in that position, but to force another to take action disgusts me.

TBO
01-28-2012, 18:03
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v90/TheeBadOne/TBO/93655SxBW_w.jpg

CAcop
01-28-2012, 19:20
One of our former officers used to work at Santa Maria until becoming chief somewhere else. I hope the officer recovers fully. As to the piece of **** my he rot in hell.

The LAPD hooked up one of theirs for a murder she comitted years before by telling her a suspect in custody had info for her in another case and would only meet her in person. When she disarmed and waited for her snitch she got the suprise of a lifetime. Reading about the investigation was an interesting read. A team of detectives were handed a sealed envelope and told to open it up once the were inside the detective's apartment without being told whose house it was or what they were doing there. The envelope contained a search warrant spelling it all out.

nikerret
01-28-2012, 19:25
The LAPD hooked up one of theirs for a murder she comitted years before by telling her a suspect in custody had info for her in another case and would only meet her in person. When she disarmed and waited for her snitch she got the suprise of a lifetime. Reading about the investigation was an interesting read. A team of detectives were handed a sealed envelope and told to open it up once the were inside the detective's apartment without being told whose house it was or what they were doing there. The envelope contained a search warrant spelling it all out.

Any more info on this? I'd like to read about it.

Bodyarmorguy
01-28-2012, 19:32
Any more info on this? I'd like to read about it.

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/jun/06/local/me-detective-arrested6

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/jun/09/local/me-detective-murder9

AA#5
01-28-2012, 19:42

That case really intrigued me - except for how long it took the brain-dead cops to arrest her because they didn't want to believe one of their officers could do something like that.

AA#5
01-28-2012, 19:50
Another similar bizarre incident: Two cars with off duty officers in each stop at a red light, neither officer knows both are police officers, give each other "macho" stares, then verbal insults, then the finger, then road rage, then one shoots & kills the other.
http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oGdWbasyRP1iEAoZtXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE1MTh1aWp1BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA3NrMQR2dGlkA01TWTAwNF8xN zE-/SIG=121hsf8hc/EXP=1327834202/**http%3a//www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-83860628.html

slama683
01-28-2012, 20:12
Another similar bizarre incident: Two cars with off duty officers in each stop at a red light, neither officer knows both are police officers, give each other "macho" stares, then verbal insults, then the finger, then road rage, then one shoots & kills the other.
http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oGdWbasyRP1iEAoZtXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE1MTh1aWp1BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA3NrMQR2dGlkA01TWTAwNF8xN zE-/SIG=121hsf8hc/EXP=1327834202/**http%3a//www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-83860628.html

You should really have read up on the Rampart scandal and the players involved before you posted this. Gaines was a ****head working for murdering dope dealers, and his tracking down the UC was not an accident.

TBO
01-28-2012, 20:42
Bias exercise doesn't involve accuracy.

CW Mock
01-28-2012, 20:49
You should really have read up on the Rampart scandal and the players involved before you posted this. Gaines was a ****head working for murdering dope dealers, and his tracking down the UC was not an accident.

That would require research to make a sound, educated statement or opinion.

What we have here is angry mental ************.

Edit: Crap. The filter doesn't like the word for self pleasure I guess. And they call US the JBTs ... :rofl:

Cav
01-28-2012, 21:18
IMHO its dumb to make an arrrest of an officer thats on duty. Worst time you could do it I think. Call them in when off duty or let them know they have a warrant and need to turn self in.

Worst case they flee, best case there is no trial. Most bad officers know they did wrong. Give them days off as some issues came up, call them in and make the arrest, or set up a turn in time, or hit the house well equiped.

Delt with about the same issue as posted about a few times and am sure will deal with it again.

TBO
01-28-2012, 21:25
http://news.yahoo.com/officer-shot-killed-fellow-police-calif-011712475.html

WarCry
01-28-2012, 22:20
IMHO its dumb to make an arrrest of an officer thats on duty. Worst time you could do it I think. Call them in when off duty or let them know they have a warrant and need to turn self in.

Worst case they flee, best case there is no trial. Most bad officers know they did wrong. Give them days off as some issues came up, call them in and make the arrest, or set up a turn in time, or hit the house well equiped.

Delt with about the same issue as posted about a few times and am sure will deal with it again.

Depending on how the department handles it, if cops go in and out of work in uniform, they have to change somewhere, right? So if I were making a suggestion, I'd say get him in the locker room in his skivvies. There's still a chance he could go for a weapon, but the likelihood of him reaching it is lower.

But that's just more MMQB from someone that's never had to deal with things like this before, and nearly certainly never will.

lawman800
01-29-2012, 02:31
There are many ways to do it but yeah, I would have found a time where they were disarmed or something... like when he was in the locker changing and just tell him, get up to the sergeant's office while he is half dressed without a gun belt on or meeting him in the jail or interrogation room.

TBO
01-29-2012, 05:05
Read my link.

Sent from Tapatalk

CAcop
01-29-2012, 05:24
Sounds like he knew it was coming and it sounds like there was witness intimidation. It sounds like they were worried he might "go off" if left alone. In that case it might be best to try to arrest him even if he is armed. At least you are getting to him ASAP before he can start planning ways out.

Even though shooting a coworker is not ideal it is a hell of a lot better than an armed cop in a patrol car or even on foot running from his coworkers. Can you imagine what kind of danger the pulic would be in under those circumstances? I think I would rather have a terrorist attack like Mubai than an armed, uniformed cop running loose not playing by the rules wanted for multiple felonies.

4949shooter
01-29-2012, 06:18

Yep...

MeefZah
01-29-2012, 06:18

Wow. :shocked:

Solid detective work though, and a good way to make the arrest without risking a situation like the OP posted.

OLY-M4gery
01-29-2012, 06:23

Well, if you read the article, they said the suspect officer became aware he was under investigation.

So, their hand was kind of forced.

Misty02
01-29-2012, 06:25

Thank you for the links, Bodyarmorguy. Interesting reading, with my only comment beingÖ. WOW! :wow:

nikerret
01-29-2012, 08:26
"The information that we had in hand demanded that we not let him leave that scene, get in a car, drive somewhere, it would put the public at risk," Macagni said at the news conference. "We just did not know what was going to happen, we did not expect him to react the way that he did."-From TBO's link

They probably should have spitballed a "what if he reacts in the worst way" before going after him. A few minutes extra could have saved some grief. Maybe a felony stop type take-down could have been done. Have him take off his duty belt and prone him out before apporaching, like we do on felony stops.

kayl
01-29-2012, 08:31

From what I found- not exactly what went down:

After the operation had been called off, Lyga drove onto Ventura Boulevard. While he was stopped at a red light, a green sports utility vehicle had pulled up next to him driven by Kevin Gaines who threatened Lyga. In response Lyga told Gaines to pull over for a confrontation. Gaines did pull over, but Lyga instead drove off. Gaines pulled back into traffic, and a chase ensued, with the S.U.V. edging through heavy traffic until it neared Lyga's car. A concerned Lyga radioed his partners for help and readied himself to use his own gun and saw Gaines, had a gun and had threatened Lyga again. Lyga fired two shots at the Gaines the first missing but the second shot hit the driver on his right side just below his armpit, puncturing his heart before stopping in his lung. Gaines then pulled into a gas station and stopped. Lyga pulled into the gas station and identified himself as a police officer and asked a customer coming out of the station's mini-mart to call 911.

CAcop
01-30-2012, 00:44
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-santamaria-police-20120130,0,1750005.story

A few bits and pieces to the puzzle.

Misty02
01-30-2012, 02:20
Why he thought that resisting arrest and drawing against another officer would be the way to handle the situation is beyond me. All else was bad as, it could have likely led to loss of his career and marriage, but those are things people can live through.

Hard to tell from what I know about the law in CA or even this case if he would have ended up in jail, but stillÖ the way he went about it there are so many more lives he impacted forever! What he did to his family and to the officer that had to take the shot is far worse than the affair with the 17 year old. That was a very selfish way out!

JohnnyReb
01-30-2012, 04:04
Would a sexual relationship with a 17 year old in California be a criminal offense?

Misty02
01-30-2012, 04:37
Would a sexual relationship with a 17 year old in California be a criminal offense?

Based on what I read on this one: http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1397958 (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1397958) (same subject) it appears it is.

JohnnyReb
01-30-2012, 05:34
Interesting. In maryland the age of consent is 16.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Misty02
01-30-2012, 05:51
Interesting. In maryland the age of consent is 16.

In FL sexual activity with a 17 year old would be legal so long as the other person was under 24. If older it is a felony of the second degree.

JohnnyReb
01-30-2012, 06:04
Funny how different laws are state to state when it comes to sex.

CJStudent
01-30-2012, 06:23
Funny how different laws are state to state when it comes to sex.

Agreed. In KY, it's a crime if one is over 18 and the other under 14, OR one is over 21 and the other is under 16. Nothing like keeping it simple, lol.

merlynusn
01-30-2012, 08:41
Yeah our laws are really confusing. But 16 is age of consent in NC and it doesn't matter how old the other party is.

wprebeck
01-30-2012, 08:48
Agreed. In KY, it's a crime if one is over 18 and the other under 14, OR one is over 21 and the other is under 16. Nothing like keeping it simple, lol.

Its a capital offense if the young lady involved is my daughter, and she's under 18.

Dragoon44
01-30-2012, 09:12
I don't even care what the laws are. I don't care if all he faced was dept. discipline. He chose to resist and employ deadly force against fellow officers.

Now he is dead and I am not the least bit sad about that.

CAcop
01-30-2012, 09:54

261.5PC Covers ******l sex with minor.

288aPC Covers oral sex with minor.

289PC Covers penetration with foreign object (anything other than pee-pee) with minor.

286PC Covers anal sex with minor.

God forbid he started this when she was 14 or under because that brings in another section and it it was continous that brings in another statute.

Minor means under 18 when it comes to sex crimes. 261.5PC has three section that go fro misdo to felony depending on the age difference. It is actually rare for the DA to charge when the minor is over 15 and the adult is under 21 or so.

This officer being 29 would have been facing up to 4 felonies. If he was threatening witnesses he would be facing 5.

If you are 29 year old digging a 17 year old in CA you are better off staying on second base and waiting until she turns 18 before going for third or home.

wprebeck
01-30-2012, 10:15

289PC Covers penetration with foreign object (anything other than pee-pee) with minor.

God forbid he started this when she was 14 or under because that brings in another section and it it was continous that brings in another statute.

Minor means under 18 when it comes to sex crimes. 261.5PC has three section that go fro misdo to felony depending on the age difference. It is actually rare for the DA to charge when the minor is over 15 and the adult is under 21 or so.

This officer being 29 would have been facing up to 4 felonies. If he was threatening witnesses he would be facing 5.

If you are 29 year old digging a 17 year old in CA you are better off staying on second base and waiting until she turns 18 before going for third or home.

If you are a 29 year old doing that with MY 17 year old daughter, we'll see what a jury thinks of the soon-to-be murder case I'll have pending.

Kadetklapp
01-30-2012, 11:44
Stupid games/stupid prizes. What a piece of crap. Too bad he edged out someone who really wanted and respected the Job back when he got hired. Turd.

JohnnyReb
01-30-2012, 19:16

California of all places, as liberal as it is, I never would of expected this.

Here, a 60 year old man could have intercourse with a 16 year old female, and it would be legal.

For under 16, it's the 3 year rule, to the day.

DaBigBR
01-31-2012, 11:21
Yeah our laws are really confusing. But 16 is age of consent in NC and it doesn't matter how old the other party is.

Same here, and 14 or 15 year olds it's plus four years.

CAcop
01-31-2012, 12:41
California of all places, as liberal as it is, I never would of expected this.

Here, a 60 year old man could have intercourse with a 16 year old female, and it would be legal.

For under 16, it's the 3 year rule, to the day.

The laws date back to the founding of the state. 261.5 when I was in high school was still gender specific.

As of now most DAs don't file charges unless their is a problem if the child is 16 or older. Pregnancy or abuse are the two biggest reasons to file for the DA. Even then they will drop charges for pleas or child support.

CAcop
01-31-2012, 13:34
http://www.ksby.com/news/funeral-services-set-for-monday-for-santa-maria-police-officer-albert-corvarrubias-jr-/

Looks like his best friend on the department had to shoot him.

**** sandwich no matter how you cut it.

razdog76
01-31-2012, 14:29
http://www.ksby.com/news/funeral-services-set-for-monday-for-santa-maria-police-officer-albert-corvarrubias-jr-/

Looks like his best friend on the department had to shoot him.

**** sandwich no matter how you cut it.

In Coptalk, we should be able to nominate someone for ****** bag of the year, and have it be turned into a sticky.

SAR
01-31-2012, 14:34

Yep, they hooked up Stephanie Lazarus on a ruse. It worked pretty well because the jail is one of the best places to catch an officer without their weapon. Yet, they did take Keith Moser down in full uniform. What's even worse, is that internal affairs plainclothes officers took Keith down while he was in full uniform on the street. The good news is that Keith gave up without a fight because he knew he was done. I knew both of these officers well.

Don't get me even started on the Lyga incident. I was actually working that day and listened to the whole thing on the radio as it played out.

KING-PIN
01-31-2012, 15:01

Can't really argue with that.

CAcop
01-31-2012, 19:27
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/01/31/ap-exclusive-dead-officer-was-intimate-with-girl/

Few more details from a couple of retired officers. Sounds like it was an ongoing relationship. The victim did not know about the investigation. He knew he was being called as part of a pretext call. He fired four shots and pointed his gun at his best man from his wedding three weeks ago. A Lt opened his yap when he shouldn't have.

BIGGUNS911
01-31-2012, 22:23
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/01/31/ap-exclusive-dead-officer-was-intimate-with-girl/

Few more details from a couple of retired officers. Sounds like it was an ongoing relationship. The victim did not know about the investigation. He knew he was being called as part of a pretext call. He fired four shots and pointed his gun at his best man from his wedding three weeks ago. A Lt opened his yap when he shouldn't have.

Man that is a very telling story, the Chief better hope there is more to the story that those few statements he text her. This might end in costing the department a lot of money.

All around a sad sad deal!!!

nikerret
01-31-2012, 22:30

A lot in there. Married three weeks ago already messing with a girl, had to be shot by his best man and good friend. FN sad.

Dragoon44
01-31-2012, 22:33
So it was a suicide by cop and he made his best friend shoot him...What a POS.

TBO
02-01-2012, 00:12
"What happened to the brotherhood"? It ends when you shoot at Cops... :steamed:

GumbyDammit
02-01-2012, 01:02
"What happened to the brotherhood"? It ends when you shoot at Cops... :steamed:

We had one go bad several years ago. Ended up getting fired and a few weeks later got into a shootout with his ex's new beau. When officers arrived on scene he turned on them. His first shot was into the windshield of his best friend in the dept.

Good guys all went home safe and he sent himself to hell later. Sad situation all the way around.

Misty02
02-01-2012, 04:35
So it was a suicide by cop and he made his best friend shoot him...What a POS.

That alone puts him in worst possible category as a human being. To force the hand of someone that cared for you into taking such action? Itís despicable.

My condolences to his friend, I pray he finds the help and support he will need to deal with what this so called friend has done to him.

RetailNinja
02-01-2012, 16:19
I see he's not on ODMP

Dragoon44
02-01-2012, 18:42
I see he's not on ODMP

Good!

MakeMineA10mm
02-01-2012, 23:53
Dead officer's father said no police would be allowed at the funeral...

Well, maybe they wouldn't want to come, and I get it that it's a painful deal all the way around for the family left behind, but to be so head-in-the-sand as to ignore your dead kid's responsibility for ALL of this going the way it did, is not a good sign of his father's mental status. Parents with off-center beliefs/morals/ethics/principles/honor beget children who are likewise, and they then make their decisions and here we are...

I'm sorry the dad is minus a son, but it's the son's fault... The BEST thing he could have done for himself, the family, his dead son's memory, and his dead son's friends/co-workers would have been to include them in whatever way they wanted to participate in the funeral. It's not easy for the dead son's best friend who had to shoot him either...

Misty02
02-02-2012, 03:35
I believe that it is the inability of people to put themselves in the other person’s shoes that often leads to the kind of comments they say the father has made. If the remainder of the incident is as reported, that gentleman will likely regret the stand he is taking now in the near future, assuming his family ever really cared about him as their son’s friend.

It is not unusual for people to lash out at others after such a loss, what he may not realize is that pushing away those that care will only extend their grief and resentment. It would be so much difficult to heal with all that extra baggage around.

Taking just a minute to see the tables reversed and his son having to take the life of his best friend would give him a glimpse into what that other man must be going through. He would realize that not only is he grieving as well but has to live with the visions of having had to pull that trigger. The two actually need each other to work through this horrible time. He wouldn’t love his son any less by showing some compassion toward his friend.

razdog76
02-02-2012, 16:29
What else could the father say, regardless of how he actually feels about the matter. I would venture to say it would be difficult even for his son's best friend to show up, let alone any other LEO.

MakeMineA10mm
02-02-2012, 20:24
Well said and excellent point Misty.

What else could the father say, regardless of how he actually feels about the matter? I would venture to say it would be difficult even for his son's best friend to show up, let alone any other LEO.

He could've said:

"This whole situation is unfortunate and I can't believe what appears to have been some bad decisions by my son. Whatever those uncharacteristic decisions were, it is a sad epitaph to what was otherwise an attempt at an honorable life. I want all of the officers involved to know that I don't hold them responsible in any way for my son's death, and I'm sorry they were put in a bizarre and horrible position. I hope they emotionally heal quickly. Toward that end, they can participate at any level they want in my son's funeral."

Is it a stretch that someone going through emotional trauma of this level could pull this off? Yes, but it is possible - we've even seen it occasionally in similar circumstances. It's important to have someone with a cool head, close to you, helping with this stuff, so you don't make blunders like what actually happened...

Dragoon44
02-02-2012, 22:21
You have to wonder if some of these folks ever think about what they said later.
in essence in his complaints about how the attempted arrest was handled the father is saying, "Why didn't they treat my son like the dangerous criminal he was?"

lawman800
02-03-2012, 08:46
Denial. It ain't just a river in Egypt.

4949shooter
02-03-2012, 15:14
Denial. It ain't just a river in Egypt.

Amen.

Misty02
02-04-2012, 05:22
He could've said:

"This whole situation is unfortunate and I can't believe what appears to have been some bad decisions by my son. Whatever those uncharacteristic decisions were, it is a sad epitaph to what was otherwise an attempt at an honorable life. I want all of the officers involved to know that I don't hold them responsible in any way for my son's death, and I'm sorry they were put in a bizarre and horrible position. I hope they emotionally heal quickly. Toward that end, they can participate at any level they want in my son's funeral."

Is it a stretch that someone going through emotional trauma of this level could pull this off? Yes, but it is possible - we've even seen it occasionally in similar circumstances. It's important to have someone with a cool head, close to you, helping with this stuff, so you don't make blunders like what actually happened...

Parents are not supposed to outlive their children; it is definitely not something I ever wish to go through. There is a lesson here for everyone, regardless of the profession our children have. Shutting out the rest of the world is likely the unhealthiest thing this poor family can do. Among those they have shutout there are likely some (or many) that either cared about their son or care about the rest of the family enough to provide the support they need to be able to work through their grief.

I can only imagine how difficult something like this would be and a lot would depend on how close that other officer was to their son. If it was a relationship of years where both men were there for each other and their families through thick and thin then shutting this person out could only lead to the type of hatred that would consume this family for the rest of their lives. If that was not the case and they never liked this particular officer, I can understand just keeping him out, but still allowing others to attend.

Is this man a grandfather? If the dead officer had children then what they are doing could have an even more devastating impact in those kidís lives than they think. I doubt a child, regardless of age (unless they are under two), will ever forget their fatherís funeral. If daddy was an officer and everyone in the family that loved him was there, why werenít there other officers too? How they explain things to the little ones will have a great impact in the rest of their lives too.

Another set of lives deeply affected would also be that of the 17 year old girl and her family. How do you live knowing you had a part in someone else losing their life? Did she know he was married? Did her family know him? Did they know he was married?

Every human being makes mistakes, some worse than others. I never knew this officer or anyone else involved; however, something tells me that none of them had a clue things would turn out the way they did. It appears evident that the guiltiest party in it all is the dead officer and even him, if he was alive, might not want his family and others he might have cared for carrying such hatred for one another when it was him who was at fault. It is sad he didnít think about this, but too late to do anything about it now.

What you mention, if this family had been able to find the strength to handle it a bit better, would have paved a road where handling their grief and healing is possible. If they donít find their way soon their hatred will just grow until it consumes them and guides their every action and thought forever.

I pray there is someone around to guide this family and everyone else involved.

steveksux
02-04-2012, 11:56
I can understand the father lashing out in a moment of anguish and despair. He may regret it later. The consensus seems to be the arrest wasn't handled well, and had it been done differently the guy might still be alive, maybe in prison. That's the fathers line of reasoning most likely.

There's some sliver of truth to that, but only before you know the whole story.
The way the arrest was handled revealed a serious flaw in the son. He should have done the honorable thing and taken it like a man. Drawing his pistol against the arresting officers, his fellow officers, was unthinkable. Or should have been.

Randy

Cochese
02-04-2012, 20:21
The officer's father, Albert Covarrubias, Sr.. said no police officers will be allowed to attend the services.

Okay, so if there are other friends etc. that need the closure of attending the services, I guess they are SOL.

Dad, you are pretty inconsiderate. Congrats.