Wife looking for a new gun. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Wife looking for a new gun.

ithaca_deerslayer
01-28-2012, 18:43
My wife is looking for a new gun. I'm not sure for what function. Maybe concealed carry and shooting (IDPA) and some instructing (NRA basic pistol, and both inside the home and outside the home self-defenses, often teaching other women).

She already has:
Ruger GP100, .357mag
Beretta 92 compact, 9mm
Springfield EMP, 9mm
Smith & Wesson 637, .38spl
Ruger LCP, .380
Smith & Wesson 2206, .22
They all work well and are reliable, and she can shoot them well.

She does not like the squaty grip on my G26, but likes the grip and the way my G17 g4 shoots for her, so is thinking about a G19 g4. She doesn't like the looks of Glocks at all, and isn't sure if she can get over that, but she does like their reliability.

Similarly, she does not like the short grip on my PM9, but otherwise likes how it shoots and how it carries so is considering a CW9.

She also likes how the Beretta PX4 compact 9mm feels (hasn't shot one), and is considering that one.

She thought she'd like a Beretta Nano, but didn't like it when she finally held one in the gun store. Also didn't like the way the SIG 290 held.

She's thinking she might take a look at the Walther P22 (not for carry, but instructing).

We had talked about a Beretta bobcat .22 for instructing, but she doesn't seem interested in that model for this purchase. Similarly had thought about a S&W .22 j-frame for instructing, but she doesn't like how expensive they are, and she doesn't want a Taurus.

Any ideas or suggestions?

She can get anything she wants, as far as I'm concerned, for any reason (doesn't have to be practical). I think the Walther P22 is more interesting and cool and useful for instructing, but I'm not opposed to anyone's continued search for the ultimate carry gun. I also think a Beretta bobcat .22 would be neato to have. Same with a j-frame .22. But it really doesn't matter to me what she gets, or if she even gets anything.

Batesmotel
01-28-2012, 19:18
I'm not sure for what function.

What did you do?

Ruger Single Six. Add a single action to the collection. Nice to be able to demonstrate it also.

Comedian
01-28-2012, 19:19
HK P30 or Walther PPQ.

emopunker2004
01-28-2012, 19:26
I vote the CW9 only because that's the next gun on my list

ithaca_deerslayer
01-28-2012, 19:53
What did you do?

Ruger Single Six. Add a single action to the collection. Nice to be able to demonstrate it also.

I have a single action .22 revolver she takes for permit safety class demonstration, but I won't let her use it for live fire instruction because it is not a transfer bar type.

So that's actually a good suggestion. Thanks, she'll read this thread and give it a thought!

Chup
01-28-2012, 19:55
I like Revolvers but, If I were in the market for a Semi-Auto, I would look at a Ruger SR9c

NeverMore1701
01-28-2012, 23:16
Beretta Px4, Sig P226, 8,9, P238, 9. 1911 in .45 at whatever price point she wants.

ChuteTheMall
01-28-2012, 23:26
Glock 17.

Anything else is a compromise.

:supergrin:

janice6
01-28-2012, 23:29
I only want to wish her luck on the decision. Every decision like this, in our family, takes a lot of input and time. I'm sure she will find what she wants. (and then you should put some "goodies" on it for her)

Gregg702
01-29-2012, 00:09
1911's are always nice, also the Sig P220, or Sig P239. Lots of nice guns out there, she should go to a gun store and figure out what she wants.

Ftttu
01-29-2012, 00:20
Glock 19, Sig P229, Walther PPQ, H&K P30 or H&K P2000 all in 9 mm. I took my sister out to a gun store here in Houston a couple of days ago where the salesman spent an hour with her, showing her all of the newer weapons out. Then we went to a gun range where she shot the P220 and the P30. She would have shot more but it just cost so darned much. She liked the P30 for firing but she was way more accurate with the P229. She will go back when she can and shoot the others listed above so she can make her final decision.

fnfalman
01-29-2012, 01:20
FNP or FNX in 9mm.

ithaca_deerslayer
01-29-2012, 08:29
1911's are always nice, also the Sig P220, or Sig P239. Lots of nice guns out there, she should go to a gun store and figure out what she wants.

Oh, believe me, she has no problem going to a gun store :)

Too many nice guns, that's probably the problem!

ithaca_deerslayer
01-29-2012, 08:33
FNP or FNX in 9mm.

We haven't looked at those yet, anything especially nice about them to be aware of?

Aceman
01-29-2012, 09:15
So let me get this straight - neither you nor her can figure out what to buy next?
And you have no idea why she wants one - might I suggest asking first?

And if she doesn't know...
How about nothing then? Just buy ammo and go shoot.

ithaca_deerslayer
01-29-2012, 15:31
So let me get this straight - neither you nor her can figure out what to buy next?
And you have no idea why she wants one - might I suggest asking first?

And if she doesn't know...
How about nothing then? Just buy ammo and go shoot.

Are you married? I thought this was the normal level of communication in a marriage. Of course I've asked her what and why.

The nothing is a good idea, but her birthday is coming up. Ammo and vaccum cleaners bags don't count. It's got to be a something, but I prefer she pick out what she wants. I could pick, but it is for her. I don't know what she wants.

jr05
01-29-2012, 15:37
G19/M&P9/PPQ

Take your pic, they would all be an excellent choice.

Glockdude1
01-29-2012, 15:51
Ruger LCR .38

:cool:

barth
01-29-2012, 16:01
I know I want one...

4 glocks
01-29-2012, 16:03
The G19 gen4 for the smaller grips. You said she did not like the grips on the G26 has she ever shot one. They will grow on you very fast.

ithaca_deerslayer
01-29-2012, 19:06
The G19 gen4 for the smaller grips. You said she did not like the grips on the G26 has she ever shot one. They will grow on you very fast.
Heck yes, I have a G26 she's shot several times over the past 15 years or so. She can shoot it fine, but doesn't like the grips, nor with a pinky extension.

But she seems to like the slimmer and longer G4 grips of my newer 17. She also shoots a tight group with it. I think a G19 G4 would be just the ticket for her, or any woman, or any guy, as long as it is accompanied by either a PM9, snubbie revolver, or an LCP type small gun for those deep CCW days :)

matt_lowry123
01-29-2012, 22:27
I'd go cw9. I have one and love it!!! I've tried the double stack guns and they don't work got me.

emopunker2004
01-29-2012, 22:29
I'd go cw9. I have one and love it!!! I've tried the double stack guns and they don't work got me.

This guy! It's my next gun on the list

ithaca_deerslayer
01-29-2012, 22:48

G19 g4 is in the lead. CW9 is in second place. Some wildcard exotic like an FN could come up and win at any moment, though.

How does one choose between the 19 and the CW9? My own opinion is that if it is more carry, the CW9 wins. If more range, then the 19 wins.

She likes IDPA, so I could see her going 19 for that reason. 10 round mags. Heck she'll already have access to 5 mags from my 17, if she ever wanted to use them. Then she'd just have to work on concealing it.

I switch back and forth between my 26, PM9, and 642, so it is not an easy decision. She'd have similar kinds of choices to make. The 26 is the gun I've carried the most, and I know the 19 fans say theirs carries just as easy. And then there's the Kahr fans.

One issue with the Kahr is it is not as easy as the Glock to rack the slide. I pull the Glock slide back and I know that round is going into the chamber. Pull the Kahr slide back and think, you'd better do it right.

ithaca_deerslayer
01-31-2012, 08:40
I don't know guys, she may be backing away from a new gun purchase at this point. She's talking instead about getting some yarn for her birthday.

I said "what's that cost, about $5 ?" and she laughed. Hope she's not talking about getting some sheep to make the yarn :rofl:

TN.Frank
01-31-2012, 08:49
I wish my wife was looking for a new gun. Unfortunately she looks at guns as being a secondary item and doesn't fully understand the need for proper tools to use for self defense. I can't spend $400 of our tax refund on a Sig for Home Defense because Her mini-van needs tires because she drives 60 miles a day round trip to work and I understand that but my truck won't get new tires even though it needs them because I'm unemployed.
I get so frustrated with her sometimes because she simply won't see the bigger picture of firearms ownership. I guess until someone breaks in at 2am and we barely escape with our lives I won't be able to get anything other then the little J-Frame that I have.
And your wife WANTS to get another gun. Some guys have all the luck.:supergrin:

Travclem
01-31-2012, 08:54
I'm picking up an EMP .40 for my wife. All of the EMPs that I have shot have been superb little guns. I suggest the EMP 9mm.

Sorry, I didn't see that was the list of things she already had... Carry on.

ithaca_deerslayer
01-31-2012, 09:17
I wish my wife was looking for a new gun. Unfortunately she looks at guns as being a secondary item and doesn't fully understand the need for proper tools to use for self defense. I can't spend $400 of our tax refund on a Sig for Home Defense because Her mini-van needs tires because she drives 60 miles a day round trip to work and I understand that but my truck won't get new tires even though it needs them because I'm unemployed.
I get so frustrated with her sometimes because she simply won't see the bigger picture of firearms ownership. I guess until someone breaks in at 2am and we barely escape with our lives I won't be able to get anything other then the little J-Frame that I have.
And your wife WANTS to get another gun. Some guys have all the luck.:supergrin:

My wife and your wife are a lot closer than you think.

She is tight with money, and always has that as a consideration. And she is a little more hit and miss on the carry than I'd like. I call her a poser sometimes (in reference to the hair bands of the 80s), as she's talking the talk, but not always walking the walk. I want that LCP in the pocket of her jammies, even when she's snug on the couch at home.

We buy guns of course, but it is spread over years. Maybe only 1 or 2 a year. Some years none. We don't sell guns, at least not the handguns, so we tend to collect them over time.

But she was looking for a new gun, was excited about it, was leaning toward the Glock 19. But then probably took a look at finances and money, and changed her mind. We just bought a new car and want to pay that loan off soon, so she has a point. But me, I figure there's always money for a gun if we want.

Well anyway, now I'm just waiting and waiting for her to finally decide what she wants for her birthday :whistling: Might be a gun, might be yarn.

TN.Frank
01-31-2012, 09:33
My wife and your wife are a lot closer than you think.

She is tight with money, and always has that as a consideration.

Not as tight as my wife. We went shopping a few years ago and she tried on a pair of shoes. She loved them, they felt great, looked good for a work shoe but they were $50 bucks. I pretty much had to force her to buy them. Of course after she'd had em' for a while she loved them and kept thanking me for making her buy them but she just didn't want to part with that $50 bucks for shoes even though she really needed them.
Problem is, her "thriftiness" has worn off on me and now it's hard for me to spend money even when I know it's something that I need.

Zmayhem
01-31-2012, 09:53
:poke:
I vote the CW9 only because that's the next gun on my list

This guy! It's my next gun on the list

Call me crazy, but I think the CW9 just might be the next gun on emopunker2004's list...

ithaca_deerslayer
01-31-2012, 09:54
Not as tight as my wife. We went shopping a few years ago and she tried on a pair of shoes. She loved them, they felt great, looked good for a work shoe but they were $50 bucks. I pretty much had to force her to buy them. Of course after she'd had em' for a while she loved them and kept thanking me for making her buy them but she just didn't want to part with that $50 bucks for shoes even though she really needed them.
Problem is, her "thriftiness" has worn off on me and now it's hard for me to spend money even when I know it's something that I need.

Here, let my wife introduce your wife to the "The Tightwad Gazette" by Amy Dacyczyn (if she doesn't already know about it). And be sure to get it for free from a library :rofl:
Amazon.com: Amy Dacyczyn: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, Kindle@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51sI7NJSjoL.@@AMEPARAM@@51sI7NJSjoL

I grew up through stages of poor, so this stuff isn't new to me. But I still don't mind buying a new gun when I feel like it :)

seamaster
02-01-2012, 21:36
what about the LCR 22?

ithaca_deerslayer
02-09-2012, 21:32
Ok, didn't end up with a new gun for her birthday. Instead, she got:
-- new kitchen stove
-- 4 Beretta 92 compact mags
-- leather OWB holster without retention strap, specifically formed for the Beretta.

SAR44
02-09-2012, 21:38
SP 101. Perfect balance and shoots like a dream. Will last forever and is a classic beauty.

ithaca_deerslayer
02-09-2012, 21:38
what about the LCR 22?

Maybe for Christmas :)

Thanks guys.