New CZ, Anybody Carry Them? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New CZ, Anybody Carry Them?

travDMH
01-28-2012, 20:07
I just picked up a CZ P-01. I've been wanting a 9mm for a long time. I actually came to GT for suggestions and after a bunch of informative posts and some range time with various guns, I went with the CZ P-01...got a great deal on a new one. Anyway, I currently carry a G27 but am growing to really dislike the ergonomics. Anybody carry a CZ? Any carry issues I should be aware of...it's also a 9mm so I'm not sure I'd want to switch from 40. As always, thanks!
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y275/trav235/008.jpg

ohio1425
01-28-2012, 20:17
When I grew tired of trying to keep 1911's working I purchased a CZ75D Compact for my EDC. CZ's are great pistols, reliable, accurate, fit my hand perfectly. I have since converted to HK's, mainly because of their LEM trigger system, but will never sell the CZ, too nice of a pistol not to have one.

Have read many threads extolling the CZ as one of the best pistols made, especially in their price range.

Nice looking pistol, you did good!

travDMH
01-28-2012, 20:20
When I grew tired of trying to keep 1911's working I purchased a CZ75D Compact for my EDC. CZ's are great pistols, reliable, accurate, fit my hand perfectly. I have since converted to HK's, mainly because of their LEM trigger system, but will never sell the CZ, too nice of a pistol not to have one.

Have read many threads extolling the CZ as one of the best pistols made, especially in their price range.

Nice looking pistol, you did good!

Thanks for the information. Yeah the fit is perfect. Just curious, what HK do you carry?

TX expat
01-28-2012, 20:24
I keep kicking the idea of getting a P-01 around for a CCW pistol.

Did you get your online or local?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toknee
01-28-2012, 20:30
The P-01 is one of my favorite pistols.

I CCW mine, use a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB. With this setup, it conceals very well.

P01 has great ergos, and is extremely accurate.

DerrickT
01-28-2012, 20:33
I have a custom P-01 that if the single action wasn't so light I would carry it all the time! I have a comptac for it and carry it rarely. Its not bad, It is about the same as carrying my G19. Enjoy it!

here is a pic of mine...
http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/classifieds/images/2012_01_26/928/1326768668_0.jpg

xXGearheadXx
01-28-2012, 20:36
The P-01 was my first firearm, and a good one...I wouldn't replace my 26 with it, but if you can carry it comfortably, have at it.

GoBigOrange
01-28-2012, 20:40
I have a CZ 40P. It was a complete lemon when I first got it but after replacing a few springs it runs %100.

You made a great choice!

travDMH
01-28-2012, 20:53
I keep kicking the idea of getting a P-01 around for a CCW pistol.

Did you get your online or local?

I got it local for $430 NIB

yerscattergun
01-28-2012, 20:54
They are nice range guns, but when you want toe to toe fight
stopping reliability, you go Glock, HK or M&P....just saying...

travDMH
01-28-2012, 20:58

So CZ's aren't as reliable in the field as Glock, HK, or M&P?

TX expat
01-28-2012, 21:07
I got it local for $430 NIB

Wow. I'd jump all over that too!

GoBigOrange
01-28-2012, 21:11
So CZ's aren't as reliable in the field as Glock, HK, or M&P?

That is just one persons opinion. Don't let it get to you.

I love my Glocks but CZ makes a damn fine gun too. In fact, I think I read that more CZ's are carried around the world by LEO's than Glocks are.

yerscattergun
01-28-2012, 21:15
It's not just one persons opinion, but thousands of police departments and militaries the world over. Glocks have been tested and tested again. Even the Czech special forces went with the G17. What does that tell you?

glock2740
01-28-2012, 21:20
Congrats!

LASTRESORT20
01-28-2012, 21:20
It's not just one persons opinion, but thousands of police departments and militaries the world over. Glocks have been tested and tested again. Even the Czech special forces went with the G17. What does that tell you?

~ "What does that tell you?" ~

Says and tells alot....Thanks for the info.

adamg01
01-28-2012, 21:32

I don't agree with your statement. Cz was just recently surpassed by the Gen. 3 Glock if you do your homework. A few years back Cz was the most used handgun in the world by police and military. The M&P doesn't even show up on the radar with Glock, Hk and Cz on the global scale. That is an uninformed statement to say the least.

Andrewsky
01-28-2012, 21:37
My main complaints with the CZ-75 series are that it's hard to rack the slide, accessing the firing pin for regular cleaning is impossible, and the firing pin retaining pins are subject to breakage.

GoBigOrange
01-28-2012, 21:39
I don't agree with your statement. Cz was just recently surpassed by the Gen. 3 Glock if you do your homework. A few years back Cz was the most used handgun in the world by police and military. The M&P doesn't even show up on the radar with Glock, Hk and Cz on the global scale. That is an uninformed statement to say the least.

Not to mention the M&P line has only been out for a few years. Not exactly what I would call a proven platform.

Bottom line, CZ makes one hell of a gun and many people trust their lives with them.

ju993rnaut
01-28-2012, 22:08
Congrats on the CZ, seems like theyre all lookers!! Does the P01 come with or without a firing pin block? I would love to have one.

Andrewsky
01-28-2012, 22:44
Congrats on the CZ, seems like theyre all lookers!! Does the P01 come with or without a firing pin block? I would love to have one.

It comes with a firing pin block.

bac1023
01-28-2012, 22:48
CZ builds great pistols.

chris in va
01-28-2012, 22:53
You'll be fine with the P-01. It's been tested far more than the other CZ offerings.

All of my CZ's have had quirks. Once I figured out the 'key' to getting them running, they've been stellar.

TexasVine
01-28-2012, 23:05
The CZ products are great. Shooting both the P01 and the 75B have made me a true believer of these accurate and reliable handguns.

RightGlock1
01-28-2012, 23:08
I alternate between my recently acquired P-07 and my G27 as EDC. I love the 07 for the capacity. The slide is slightly wider than my G27.

Sheepdog Scout
01-28-2012, 23:31
I carry a full sized 75 from time to time.

Taphius
01-28-2012, 23:36
Carry my 85 once in awhile since I put some meprolights on it.

WarEagle32
01-28-2012, 23:41
I have a fully CZ customs fully customized CZ 85 Combat. It is the greatest handgun by far that my hands have ever touched. Nothing even comes close to it. As far as carrying it I would compare it to a little bit smaller 1911. A bit tough to carry but if you did you are talking about the best on the face of the earth. The CZ 75 family is the best line of pistols at ANY price ANYWHERE! There are countless peple that agree with me and few that disagree! Buy one! I would venture to say that a CZ 75 compact would be one hell of a carry pistol!

travDMH
01-28-2012, 23:44
I have a fully CZ customs fully customized CZ 85 Combat. It is the greatest handgun by far that my hands have ever touched. Nothing even comes close to it. As far as carrying it I would compare it to a little bit smaller 1911. A bit tough to carry but if you did you are talking about the best on the face of the earth. The CZ 75 family is the best line of pistols at ANY price ANYWHERE! There are countless peple that agree with me and few that disagree! Buy one! I would venture to say that a CZ 75 compact would be one hell of a carry pistol!

I did buy one! It's if it's a competent carry choice, especially over a G27. P-01 vs G27 I guess. I should add my G27 gets carried in a Milt Sparks VM2 which is a dream

nutty_one
01-28-2012, 23:56
Do a bit of reading on the testing process of the CZ P01 - and the specs it had to meet to be adopted by the Czech national police. CZ's are right up there with Glocks when it comes to reliability and ruggedness. The only thing Glocks have on the CZ is weight - the all metal CZ's are naturally heavier than a plastic pistol. The CZ has better ergonomics, balance, and accuracy than the Glock.

You also have to realize something - Glock is so popular because of it's PRICE structure, not just the reliability (yes, Glocks are, or were, until recently, super duper reliable right out of the box). Glock sells to government agencies and military buyers far lower than CZ can. When your gun costs less than $100 in raw materials and labor to produce (being very, very liberal with that figure) you have a lot of leeway in your pricing. The CZ's, since they require much more machine work and have higher raw materials costs than the Glocks, naturally have a higher base price.

The reason the US military adopted the Beretta M9 over the Sig P226 for our standard issue sidearm came down to price - not quality. Governments go with lowest bidders more often than highest quality. While Glocks have been proven to be highly reliable, they're not without their own faults. They have a great PR engine, and lower cost than their competitors, that give them an edge.

The CZ is an excellent handgun, if a bit heavy.

The only two guns I will trust to function and carry right out of the box are CZ's and Glocks (I carry a G19 daily, but I have in the past also carried full size and compact CZ-75's).

And the whole 9mm vs .40 thing is stupid - there's 1mm difference in bullet diameter (not big difference) and their performance with modern ammo is almost identical. Both are proven man stoppers, and if you want to be swayed by history - the 9x19mm has been around for over a century, and it's put millions of people in their graves. The .40SW has a bit more than 20 years, or 1/5th the longevity of the 9x19 round, for it's track record. Both rounds will get the job done - so pick your poison. The 9mm will cost you less, give you 1-2 rounds more in the magazine, and have less felt recoil. The .40 pokes a slightly bigger hole, which some people insist upon. It also gives you more whump in the hand - which some guys like.

Enjoy your CZ.

01-28-2012, 23:59
Unless you plan on putting light on your pistol, the 75D PCR Compact would be leaner and better, imho.

travDMH
01-29-2012, 00:31
Do a bit of reading on the testing process of the CZ P01 - and the specs it had to meet to be adopted by the Czech national police. CZ's are right up there with Glocks when it comes to reliability and ruggedness. The only thing Glocks have on the CZ is weight - the all metal CZ's are naturally heavier than a plastic pistol. The CZ has better ergonomics, balance, and accuracy than the Glock.

You also have to realize something - Glock is so popular because of it's PRICE structure, not just the reliability (yes, Glocks are, or were, until recently, super duper reliable right out of the box). Glock sells to government agencies and military buyers far lower than CZ can. When your gun costs less than $100 in raw materials and labor to produce (being very, very liberal with that figure) you have a lot of leeway in your pricing. The CZ's, since they require much more machine work and have higher raw materials costs than the Glocks, naturally have a higher base price.

The reason the US military adopted the Beretta M9 over the Sig P226 for our standard issue sidearm came down to price - not quality. Governments go with lowest bidders more often than highest quality. While Glocks have been proven to be highly reliable, they're not without their own faults. They have a great PR engine, and lower cost than their competitors, that give them an edge.

The CZ is an excellent handgun, if a bit heavy.

The only two guns I will trust to function and carry right out of the box are CZ's and Glocks (I carry a G19 daily, but I have in the past also carried full size and compact CZ-75's).

And the whole 9mm vs .40 thing is stupid - there's 1mm difference in bullet diameter (not big difference) and their performance with modern ammo is almost identical. Both are proven man stoppers, and if you want to be swayed by history - the 9x19mm has been around for over a century, and it's put millions of people in their graves. The .40SW has a bit more than 20 years, or 1/5th the longevity of the 9x19 round, for it's track record. Both rounds will get the job done - so pick your poison. The 9mm will cost you less, give you 1-2 rounds more in the magazine, and have less felt recoil. The .40 pokes a slightly bigger hole, which some people insist upon. It also gives you more whump in the hand - which some guys like.

Enjoy your CZ.

Thank you for that. Great write up. Very informative. I appreciate the input on 9mm vs .40, and when you put things into perspective you make a great point. I carry the G27 but if i could go back I'd get a G26. I'm going to break in my CZ shop around for holsters and give it a shot

Ruggles
01-29-2012, 01:56
CZ makes nice stuff, very good handguns.

Lior
01-29-2012, 02:27
All of my CCW guns have been either Glocks or CZ75s.

Have no experience with the P01. Currently I CCW a full sized SP01 Phantom. Its redeeming feature compared to the G17 it replaced is that my trigger finger does not touch the frame of the gun when shooting. Wish I had bought one years ago.

There is no such thing as a holy grail in pistols, and CZ75s may not be the right choice for everyone. But they are reliable, solidly built, aim nicely and have a good penchant of putting holes in things that you shoot at.

travDMH
01-29-2012, 02:42
All of my CCW guns have been either Glocks or CZ75s.

Have no experience with the P01. Currently I CCW a full sized SP01 Phantom. Its redeeming feature compared to the G17 is replaced is that my trigger finger does not touch the frame of the gun when shooting. Wish I had bought one years ago.

There is no such thing as a holy grail in pistols, and CZ75s may not be the right choice for everyone. But they are reliable, solidly built, aim nicely and have a good penchant of putting holes in things that you shoot at.

Yeah the I only hear good things about the phantom. If i fall in love with the P-01 id want the phantom next. Btw my sister in Israel on birthright right now, can't wait for her to come back stateside and tell me all about it

fnfalman
01-29-2012, 02:42
The only CZ pistol that interests me is the 75B and have three of that model.

m2hmghb
01-29-2012, 04:15
Most of the issues I hear with CZs are from the 40 caliber models. Stick with the 9mm and I hardly hear anything, far less then from the Gen 4 glock.

Golddog
01-29-2012, 08:19
I've owned a dozen CZ 75 9mm pistols of one sort or another, and I've regularly carried a CZ Rami for a number of years. All have been reliable, accurate, and wonderfully comfortable to handle and carry. With the right IWB holsters from a number of makers, even the heavier steel frames can be toted without difficulty.

However, I have no interest at all in the decock models, since the cocked and locked capability of CZ's, with the resulting nice pull for the first shot, is what drew me to them in the first place.

ohio1425
01-29-2012, 11:21
Thanks for the information. Yeah the fit is perfect. Just curious, what HK do you carry?

My first HK was the P30, 9mm, fantastic grip, LEM trigger is an acquired taste. Personally, I like the trigger especially for carry.

I wanted to carry a .45 so I purchased a 45C and alternate between the two. Both have LEM triggers, fit the same holster, and carry nicely. The grip on the P30 is IMO better than on the 45C.

I still have some remorse for not carrying the CZ, just a nice pistol. Good luck with yours.

Bob Hafler
01-29-2012, 11:33
I have a CZ75B. It's a great pistol. That CZPO-1 is even better yet IMO.
Congrats you did good.

RightGlock1
01-29-2012, 11:40
Most of the issues I hear with CZs are from the 40 caliber models. Stick with the 9mm and I hardly hear anything, far less then from the Gen 4 glock.

I have an SP01 Tactical in .40. It has been flawless. I bought it used w/ 3 mags for $ 425. It had little use. I've fired at least 2k rounds in it and have had zero issues. I do wish it were a 9mm, but I've got a stable of .40 in other makes, so it made sense. YMMV.

Travelin' Jack
01-29-2012, 11:45
I carry a CZ P01 in an MTAC holster.

With these grips (http://czcustom.com/CZ_75-compact-thin-black-grips.aspx) installed it is a remarkably thin pistol. I even converted a 1911 carrying friend of mine because of how comparably thin it is with those grips.

Here's a picture showing stock grips on one side, aluminum grips on the other. Source for the pictures. (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=506583)

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l273/Ganderson_01/P1000980.jpg

As far as reliability, mine has been 100% with about 1000 rounds though the pipe, including some +p+. Here's a link to the NATO torture test it passed with flying colors back in 2003. (http://www.cz-usa.com/press-releases/102/)

I love this gun so much I've been seriously considering shelling out the $1500 for the CZ Custom Shop's Pro-Tek version.

travDMH
01-29-2012, 14:55
Travelin' Jack wow if I choose to carry I might have to pick those up! What's the break in period like for PO1?

Glockaround the Clock
01-29-2012, 15:01
I carry a CZ85 sometimes.

homersapien
01-29-2012, 15:02
I owned a CZ75 for several years, my bro has a P07. Of the many guns we've owned over the years, the CZs are the only ones that have never had a malfunction. I wish I'd never sold the 75.

Congrats on the P01, I've been lusting after it for a while. If it weren't for the weight I would have already bought one.

triggerjerk
01-29-2012, 15:18
Here is a cool overview of their stuff.
NUTNFANCY SHOT 2012: CZ-USA Custom Pistols! - YouTube
I have a CZ rimfire. Excellent gun.
Had a 75 Compact in .40 that was a lemon.
CZUSA sent a check for MSRP after they couldn't fix it satisfactorily under warranty.
It wasn't sold for msrp btw.

I have come close to getting a CZ Tactical Sports many times . . .

irishbum
01-29-2012, 15:32
I love CZ's. My SP-01 is my favorite 9mm hands down. Like my Sig226 and my G19 but nothing compares to my CZ.

Shadyscott69
01-29-2012, 15:36

I would be willing to bet there are far more CZ's with blood on them than the other three you listed combined.

MLittle
01-29-2012, 16:12
I have one of those, but don't carry it. Don't much like the trigger, mine's a da/sa and the stock sights are crappy (glow in the dark, but not tridium). It is accurate, but compared to my Sigs, the trigger isn't anywhere near as nice. I really learned a lesson on this one.....never buy a gun until you shoot it first. I'll probably end up selling or trading mine....

Travelin' Jack
01-29-2012, 16:27
Travelin' Jack wow if I choose to carry I might have to pick those up! What's the break in period like for PO1?

Hard to say, mine like most others I have read about didn't have any issues from day one. I personally like to put at least 300 rounds (including 50 of better of my chosen carry ammo) through a gun before I decide it's trustworthy.

Taphius
01-29-2012, 16:32
I have one of those, but don't carry it. Don't much like the trigger, mine's a da/sa and the stock sights are crappy (glow in the dark, but not tridium). It is accurate, but compared to my Sigs, the trigger isn't anywhere near as nice. I really learned a lesson on this one.....never buy a gun until you shoot it first. I'll probably end up selling or trading mine....

Send it in to CZ custom for a trigger job if you dont like it currently

Cletus
01-29-2012, 23:03
I have a custom P-01 that if the single action wasn't so light I would carry it all the time! I have a comptac for it and carry it rarely. Its not bad, It is about the same as carrying my G19. Enjoy it!

here is a pic of mine...
http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/classifieds/images/2012_01_26/928/1326768668_0.jpg

Had... :whistling::wavey::supergrin:
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/9791/dsc0001sgr.jpg
I can't wait to shoot it. The action and trigger are so smooth. One of the best feeling handguns in your hand, hands down. However I too will not be carrying it. That is a job for the G23. This will be the range toy.

matt_lowry123
01-29-2012, 23:44
I love the look of those but I can't deal with the slide. If it had more surface area, i'd get one in a heart beat.

Novocaine
01-30-2012, 03:31
Cant speak for P-01 but I absolutely trust 75B. Mine is “Turkish overrun”, got couple of those for a bit over $300 a piece and steered every co-worker, friend and relative who cared to listen towards them. At the time it was the best deal in handguns.

Three things I don’t like about the gun. Low profile slide is not easy to grab for malf clearing. The gun points high but if you’re used to Glocks it shouldn’t be a problem. The trigger on most guns I handled including my own had “double sear”: the sear’s two hooks would not release the hammer simultaneously, there were two distinctive clicks. Fixed by careful stoning and perhaps non-issue these days.

That said the gun is accurate, absolutely reliable and steel frame soaks up the recoil. Feels durable too, I put a few boxes of Federal +P+ through it and didn’t notice any ill effects. Along with Kadet adapter it’s the part of my cross-country kit. My former CO works Lithuanian presidential security detail and last we talked (about ten years ago)-75 was the team’s issued gun. No complaints there.