Walther PPQ 9mm [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Walther PPQ 9mm

reniram
01-28-2012, 19:11
Any thoughts on this? I handled one in a gun shop today, and it felt pretty good in the hand. The reviews I've seen on youtube seem pretty positive. I'm thinking about another 9mm, and this one looks interesting.

jp3975
01-28-2012, 19:17
There are a number of threads on it here.

Everyone loves it.

Ruggles
01-28-2012, 19:46
If I ever stray away from 1911s it might just be for that gun :)

Gunhaver
01-28-2012, 19:56
The XDM came very close to turning me away from Glock. I handled one of these and it'll soon be the first handgun I buy without shooting one first. I'm gonna name her Mary because they are practically perfect in every way. Even more than Glock perfect.

Dangerfield
01-28-2012, 20:03
I first became aware of the PPQ on another forum where a H&K diehard praised it. Then I did research and found this to be a recurring reaction. I bought one in 9mm and absolutly love it.

Seminoles
01-28-2012, 21:35
I'm gonna go look for one Monday. I bet no one around here will have them in stock. The only negative I have seen on the gun was splotchy finish problems on some. Hopefully Walther has corrected the problem.

bac1023
01-28-2012, 21:49
I need to get one of those at some point. :)

Gary1911A1
01-29-2012, 06:44
It's on my list as my next pistol. The only negative I have read about is more recoil than a Glock 19 which could ne related to a higher bore axis.

hallnh727
01-29-2012, 07:04
It is the next gun on my list

dondulah
01-29-2012, 07:10
I just got one, and put about 100rds through yesterday. Very ergonomic, ate a couple mags of 147 HST smooth, and about 6 more of 115gr WWB. I like it, great build quality.

The Retired Sarge
01-29-2012, 08:50
Since buying a PPQ all my other pistols stay in the safe. The PPQ is that good. Bill

Dawolf
01-29-2012, 09:22
If I can sell my P-99, there will be one in my safe soon based upon me shooting one recently.

unsigned
01-29-2012, 12:43
I ordered a .40 PPQ on Friday. Should have it next week some time.

gadgetnut259
01-29-2012, 12:50
I have one and LOVE it! I have about 700 rounds through it so far and it is nothing short of amazing. The ergonomics are the best I have ever felt on a pistol, it's superbly accurate, it's trigger feels like a custom job right out of the box, and let's face it...it even looks great. :supergrin:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/images/72065.jpg

And all for about $500 if you shop around.

barth
01-29-2012, 13:04
The Walther PPQ has to be one of the most interesting handguns on the market recently.
Normally I absolutely refuse to buy a handgun without shooting it first.

Now I may have to break that promise...

gadgetnut259
01-29-2012, 13:11
The Walther PPQ has to be one of the most interesting handguns on the market recently.

I'm usually the same way, but I ordered my PPQ without ever even holding one. The first time I picked it up I had the same reaction as everyone I've handed it to: "Oh wow".

gtmtnbiker98
01-29-2012, 15:20
I picked mine up last month and have put the first 2,000 rounds through it without issue. The PPQ is the first non-HK to interest me in years.

stmcelroy
01-29-2012, 19:28
Have not read any bad reviews on them.

I was going to pick one up, and still might, but decided to grab a Caracal F instead for now.

Dawolf
01-29-2012, 19:36

I guess i have a little advantage as I have a P99 AS, but will be getting without shooting it, too. Not my usual practice as well.

bruzer
01-29-2012, 20:47
Excellent.
Mike

matt_lowry123
01-29-2012, 20:54
I thought they were really ugly at first. Then after holding one at the gun shop I bought it. That was last week and I haven't had time to shoot it. It looks like it's a pretty solid gun. The only other 9mm I have is a M&P. I can't wait till I can compare the two.

frank_drebin
01-30-2012, 07:13
How is this gun different than the P99?

happyguy
01-30-2012, 08:22
I would like to see them produce a compact model.

Regards,
Happyguy :)

P99er
01-30-2012, 08:38
Darn fine pistol.

EmperorKO
01-30-2012, 08:42
I have one in 9mm that I picked up at a gun show a few months ago... paid too much for it in retrospect, but at the time they were brand new and the price was right compared to the rest of the market.

Ditto every other positive comment in this thread. Feels amazing in the hand, and the trigger is the best I've ever felt on a striker-fired pistol. The reset really is as short as people make it out to be. 2-3mm and you get a crisp, positive snap back to action. Size-wise, it's nearly identical in size to a Glock 19 (off by a few tenths of an inch in certain dimensions).

Formula for Walther PPQ = Take a Glock 19, improve it in every conceivable way. It will not disappoint.

stmcelroy
01-30-2012, 10:40
How is this gun different than the P99?

http://gforcefitness.us/walthercomp.htm

stmcelroy
01-30-2012, 10:40
Formula for Walther PPQ = Take a Glock 19, improve it in every conceivable way. It will not disappoint.

They missed out on the bore height:whistling:

itstime
01-30-2012, 10:47
I love mine. Shoots great. Only thing I noticed with it is the slide to frame fit. Everybody. Take theirs out and shake it side to side. Does it rattle? Every one I do it to rattles. Doesn't seem to affect accuracy. Mine is great. But if you grab the slide the rattle goes away.

There I'd some pronounced slop there also when you wiggle it.

P99er
01-30-2012, 13:31
My range banned the PPQ. The bore axis was so high, only manly men could shoot it. When the girlie men tried, the massive muzzle flip was damaging the cover over the line, not to mention the danger to the other shooters from an out of control pistol emptying the magazine. Then there were the injuries to the shooters, talk about lawsuit potential.

They started out banning Glock Fan Boys from shooting them because they weren't advanced enough to control it. But of course, there are always GFB's who are going to skirt the rules.

One guy held one like the homeboys, and injured the shooter next to him,

frank_drebin
01-30-2012, 15:08
Uh oh, emotions have now been introduced to the thread. Its officially doomed now.

ca survivor
01-30-2012, 15:13
I have one and LOVE it! I have about 700 rounds through it so far and it is nothing short of amazing. The ergonomics are the best I have ever felt on a pistol, it's superbly accurate, it's trigger feels like a custom job right out of the box, and let's face it...it even looks great. :supergrin:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/images/72065.jpg

And all for about $500 if you shop around.
Its that the only option on the sights ?

stmcelroy
01-30-2012, 15:17
Its that the only option on the sights ?

Any sights that fit the P99 will also fit the PPQ.

reniram
02-06-2012, 17:50
Just to update - I bought one today. Didn't have a lot of time to shoot but did put 40 rounds (20 Magtech 115 FMJ and 20 S&B 115 FMJ) through it with no issues. So far I'm very happy with it.

Comedian
02-07-2012, 04:01
My range banned the PPQ. The bore axis was so high, only manly men could shoot it. When the girlie men tried, the massive muzzle flip was damaging the cover over the line, not to mention the danger to the other shooters from an out of control pistol emptying the magazine. Then there were the injuries to the shooters, talk about lawsuit potential.

They started out banning Glock Fan Boys from shooting them because they weren't advanced enough to control it. But of course, there are always GFB's who are going to skirt the rules.

One guy held one like the homeboys, and injured the shooter next to him,

Woah, look out folks! We got ourselves a bonafide badass! :yawn:

checkyoursix
02-07-2012, 05:22
Shot a match with it last Sunday, and each time I walked down with the SO to score my stages I had a big smile on my face, the gun just shoots like a dream. it's a fantastic IDPA SSP gun, with a trigger that screams "custom shop" all around.

Honestly I do not have ANY perception of the problems somebody mentions with the bore axis, increased recoil. I would recommend changing the back strap to a larger size, to increase your grip on the gun if that is the issue, and to pay attention not to grip the gun too hard but rather to focus on applying the same pressure with both hands and focus on the front sight to quickly bring them back on target rather than fighting recoil. Just my two cents, this is what I teach my students and I see good results.

Gary1911A1
02-07-2012, 07:02
Shot a match with it last Sunday, and each time I walked down with the SO to score my stages I had a big smile on my face, the gun just shoots like a dream. it's a fantastic IDPA SSP gun, with a trigger that screams "custom shop" all around.

Honestly I do not have ANY perception of the problems somebody mentions with the bore axis, increased recoil. I would recommend changing the back strap to a larger size, to increase your grip on the gun if that is the issue, and to pay attention not to grip the gun too hard but rather to focus on applying the same pressure with both hands and focus on the front sight to quickly bring them back on target rather than fighting recoil. Just my two cents, this is what I teach my students and I see good results.

I notice the same thing with my 99AS after installing the larger grip insert.