I think my 24 hour old Springfield Operator KB'ed on me today.... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I think my 24 hour old Springfield Operator KB'ed on me today....

Airborne Infantryman
01-28-2012, 20:27
Before I begin, no, I don't have pics. I was shooting my Springfield MC Operator I just bought last night, and was shooting factory Mag-Tech 230g ball when the 10th round went off with half recoil and a muted sound. The hammer was at half-cock. Smoke rolled out of the back of the gun and out the magwell when I dropped the mag. I thought it was a squib, so I tried to clear the gun, and it wouldn't budge.

I packed up and walked up to the house, and upon trying to push the slide open by resting the slide on the edge of a table and resting my body weight on it, I quickly realized I wouldn't be hand cycling this one clear. I dropped a pencil down the barrel to see if there was a bullet stuck, and there wasn't. I used a mirror to confirm there was no round, and it was clear; I could see the bottom of the spent shell casing.

Upon inspecting the pistol, I then realized that the barrel was splintered/bulged/cracked inside of the slide, and was the reason why I wasn't able to clear the weapon. The weapon looks perfectly normal on the outside.....its when looking down the barrel you see the catastrophe. :crying:

The round before the "dud" round was perfectly normal; fired and ejected normally....

I have no clue what the hell happened. I am terrified that my 24 hour old, $1100 pistol is destroyed. I have no clue what, and IF Springfield will do a damn thing for me. This really ****ing sucks!

I fear I'm out $1100 now.....what should I do? I will call Springfield on Monday, but do you think they will repair it? It was factory ammo....could there have been an issue with the barrel? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated, guys. :crying:

Do I have recourse with Mag-Tech if Springfield will not fix the gun? I mean, ****, the shell casing is still stuck in the gun!!!

ctfireman
01-28-2012, 21:08
You'll have recourse with one or the other. I've heard of that situation going in both directions. I wouldn't worry much. I'll bet you end up with a new gun.

Alcoy
01-28-2012, 21:15
Springfield has great customer service. They fixed my gun I bought used and paid for postage both way.

Goodluck.

alexanderg23
01-28-2012, 21:18
I think you'll be fine.

Foxtrotx1
01-28-2012, 21:24
You are worrying about nothing. Call springer. Then Call Magtech.

glock2740
01-28-2012, 21:26
I have full faith that SA will take care of the matter to your satisfaction. :thumbsup:

Rally Vincent
01-28-2012, 21:39
Maybe they will replace it with a Colt.

Jk.

That's horrible news. I hear nothing but good things about SA customer service though. Should be fine.

Three-Five-Seven
01-28-2012, 22:18
Springfield Customer Service is easy and pleasant to deal with. I'd be very surprised if they didn't help you.

Remember, their barrels are two piece barrels. So, it is not beyond the realm of imagination that there was a barrel failure.

They'll be straight up with you, as I'm sure you will be with them.

steve1911
01-28-2012, 23:06
Sprigfield customer service is oustanding, they are secound too none in cs.

1911club#410

arclight610
01-28-2012, 23:58
That sucks man. Hope everything works out for you.

fnfalman
01-29-2012, 01:48
Springfield Customer Service is easy and pleasant to deal with. I'd be very surprised if they didn't help you.

Remember, their barrels are two piece barrels. So, it is not beyond the realm of imagination that there was a barrel failure.

They put a 2-piece barrel into a higher end pistol?

My Loaded has a 2-piece barrel but that's understandable consider the price point.

knedrgr
01-29-2012, 02:54

Better check again on that statement. It's a one piece barrel.

TxGlock9
01-29-2012, 03:31
Damn, that sucks. And it was just a few days ago when you were posting about getting a new gun. Hope everything works out for you.

R0CKETMAN
01-29-2012, 05:46
You are worrying about nothing. Call springer. Then Call Magtech.

I wouldn't call this event "nothing".

I have full faith that SA will take care of the matter to your satisfaction. :thumbsup:

Yes, but maybe at owners expense. I'd be looking for magtech to cover the cost, if any, in the event SA won't. Show us some pics.

Maybe some Brazilian booty walked by:rofl:

faawrenchbndr
01-29-2012, 05:53
Look to Magtech,.....this was the ammuition's fault, not Springfield's

carloglock19
01-29-2012, 07:03
That's terrible news AI, let us know what SA and ammo company are willing to do to fix it once you contact them. Good luck.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Billua
01-29-2012, 10:36
That blows. I hope someone makes it right.

Tiro Fijo
01-29-2012, 12:34
Look to Magtech,.....this was the ammuition's fault, not Springfield's

Exactly. Good luck getting a Third World ammo co. to replace your gun. :whistling:

Never use ammo from a country that has no potable water. Magtech is made in Brazil.

Airborne Infantryman
01-29-2012, 12:43
MagTech has been notified. Waiting on them to get back to me. I'll keep ya'll updated. If I do end up having to pay out of pocket, hopefully the most I'll need to pay is for a barrel, barrel link, and slide stop. Still better than paying for another Operator......

faawrenchbndr
01-29-2012, 12:59
This really does suk,.....if, in the end you have to pay for a barrel,
have SACS do the work & have a Kart NM fitted.

Rally Vincent
01-29-2012, 13:09
Exactly. Good luck getting a Third World ammo co. to replace your gun. :whistling:

Never use ammo from a country that has no potable water. Magtech is made in Brazil.

What are you talking about? Springfields are pretty much made in Brazil. :rofl:
Jk.

Berto
01-29-2012, 13:20
I can't see this not getting handled by Magtech, but I'd send the gun to SA first to get an 'official' determination it was the ammo.

Glockdude1
01-29-2012, 13:25
:wow:

Glad you are ok. I really hope you get a new pistol out of this.

:cool:

Glolt20-91
01-29-2012, 18:49
Glad you are okay, please keep us informed as this whole episode unfolds.

R0CKETMAN
01-29-2012, 19:39
MagTech has been notified. Waiting on them to get back to me. I'll keep ya'll updated. If I do end up having to pay out of pocket, hopefully the most I'll need to pay is for a barrel, barrel link, and slide stop. Still better than paying for another Operator......

Reminder: meticulously document everything

B.Reid
01-29-2012, 22:23
Hope it all works out.

astroboy
01-30-2012, 05:35
I hope that SA will do something about this. This
sucks though, to think that you only had the gun
for 24 hours.

okie
01-30-2012, 07:58
I think Magtech should be the ones to take care of everything. Good luck my friend:angel:

glock2619
01-30-2012, 08:21
Reminder: meticulously document everything

This. Be sure you retain the Magtech box and any remaining cartridges because they are probably going to want those. For the box, there's going to be lot # information etc at the very least and they may actually want to pull apart any remaining rounds and study them.

I would guess you're going to be fine. Glad you didn't end up hurt.

Airborne Infantryman
01-30-2012, 12:30
Quick update.

Springfield was contacted and the gun will be on its way to them this evening. 2-4 weeks was the quoted repair time. Magtech was contacted and they are sending a call tag to pick up the rest of the box of ammo. They said if Springfield determined the ammo was at fault that they would take care of it, and that they stand behind their product. They also said they'd replace the ammo as well. Happy with the way things are moving thus far. I will keep you guys updated.

brisk21
01-30-2012, 13:38
Thats good. It can happen to any gun with any ammo. Glad to hear Magtech is standing behind their product.

TxGlock9
01-30-2012, 13:55
Very good news.

carloglock19
01-30-2012, 14:02
That's good news!

1911Tuner
01-30-2012, 16:23
I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but it was an ammo problem, and Springfield will know that. They may replace the barrel under warranty, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I'll explain it at the risk of several people refusing to believe it.

You had a squib that stuck the bullet in the barrel. The slide cycled and chambered a fresh round. When you pulled the trigger, it bulged and split the barrel before driving the lodged bullet out.

Whenever this is reported, the majority of people insist that there was actually a failure to cycle and the shooter simply forgot that he executed a quick tap/rack/bang. I'm sure that it has happened just that way, but I find it a little hard to accept that "forgetting" that a malfunction drill was done is all that common...especially doing it just before the gun locks up.

Yes. Under the right circumstances, a squib load can absolutely cycle a slide far enough to pick up another round and chamber it. I watched it happen once...looking straight at the gun when it did it.

The splintered barrel tells me that it's stainless. Carbon steel barrels bulge, but they don't split from a squib.

faawrenchbndr
01-30-2012, 16:51
Yep,.....sounds about right.

AA#5
01-30-2012, 17:02
Quick update.

Springfield was contacted and the gun will be on its way to them this evening. 2-4 weeks was the quoted repair time. Magtech was contacted and they are sending a call tag to pick up the rest of the box of ammo. They said if Springfield determined the ammo was at fault that they would take care of it, and that they stand behind their product. They also said they'd replace the ammo as well. Happy with the way things are moving thus far. I will keep you guys updated.

I was just about to post that Magtech & Springfield may resolve this between themselves without you having to bother with it, which would be ideal.

Airborne Infantryman
01-30-2012, 18:44
Update: Gun is on its way to Illinois as I type this. I'm not worried about it anymore. When/if Springfield calls and tells me its the ammo's fault, I'll direct Magtech to Springfield.

Either way, they ensured me that if my gun was deemed repairable, that it would be like new again, and that they would ensure I have a 100% safe, and reliable firearm. I think they said they X-ray the frame and slide to see if there is damage? Is that the usual SOP for things like this?

Mayhem like Me
01-30-2012, 19:00
Better check again on that statement. It's a one piece barrel.

Maybe.... I had a TRP with a two piece.

I sent it back after moaning about it shooting 2 feet low and it was replaced.

faawrenchbndr
01-31-2012, 03:09
Update: Gun is on its way to Illinois as I type this. I'm not worried about it anymore. When/if Springfield calls and tells me its the ammo's fault, I'll direct Magtech to Springfield.

Either way, they ensured me that if my gun was deemed repairable, that it would be like new again, and that they would ensure I have a 100% safe, and reliable firearm. I think they said they X-ray the frame and slide to see if there is damage? Is that the usual SOP for things like this?

Yep rather normal,......detects hidden flaws in the metal due to fatigue or manufacturing

1911Tuner
01-31-2012, 04:36
Very unlikely that the slide is damaged. This wasn't a ka-boom event. The barrel was bulged by compressed, superheated air between the bullets and at the point that it has to occur, pressure has fallen well below peak levels.

A savvy old pistolsmith up in Maryland once did a demonstration with an old 1911 pistol in which he completely blocked bullet movement with a steel rod in the bore...threaded the muzzle and used a screw to lock it in place. The gun was fired repeatedly with full-power ball ammo...and nothing happened.
When the rig was disasembled, the gun fired normally with no problems.

Alter-Ego
01-31-2012, 16:01
Sure!!

A savvy old pistolsmith up in Maryland once did a demonstration with an old 1911 pistol in which he completely blocked bullet movement with a steel rod in the bore...threaded the muzzle and used a screw to lock it in place. The gun was fired repeatedly with full-power ball ammo...and nothing happened.
When the rig was disasembled, the gun fired normally with no problems.

RMTactical
01-31-2012, 16:36

keep us updated.

ca survivor
01-31-2012, 17:55
Quick update.

Take pics, of the gun and ammo, the lot number etc. and keep a few rounds of that box.

1911Tuner
02-01-2012, 03:59
Sure!!

Check and see if Jim Keenan is still registered here. Ask him about it.

He did it with a Luger, too.

This demo was also done with an '03 Springfield many years ago...with the same results. No bang. No movement of the rifle. No kaboom. Nothing.

SigFTW
02-01-2012, 09:24
The same thing happen to me with my Kimber custom II, less than one month old.

I was shooting Remington FMJ 250 round box ammo because of the brake in time as requested by Kimber.

After the shot, just like yours all normal, my slide locked back about 1" open, I could not get it to go back into battery. I also found the shredded brass on my bench, we think it was from the round before the non-kaboom??, maybe came apart in the gun and caused an obstruction.

At home I found the damage, slight (within thousands) at the exit of the barrel causing the bushing to lock at the slight bulge in the barrel. I was able to Drimmal the bulge down to get the barrel out.

I called Kimber and they offered to sell me a new barrel $250 to $300. I also called Remington and explained what happen and told them I was worried about the rest of the ammo, about 200+ rounds and they said to send it back on their account and include a letter of what happen. After 2 weeks, while I was looking for a local smith shop, I was contacted by Remington. They said they could not find any problems with the rest of the ammo and would send me a new box and in addition they would buy me a new barrel if I would pay for a local shop to install. I was floored :shocked: because I was not expecting them to buy a barrel. So, they called Kimber and Kimber send me a new barrel and I dropped it in and guess what, it did not need any fitting it was a perfect drop in.

1k of ammo later and it's still going strong!

I hope Mag-Tech will take care of you like Remington did for me. Keep us posted!

Andrewsky
02-02-2012, 07:24
Have we totally ruled out limpwristing as the culprit?

1911Tuner
02-02-2012, 10:30

For splitting a barrel? Uhhhh...Yeah.

Three-Five-Seven
02-02-2012, 10:52

What you do in your personal life is your personal business.

pistolwrench
02-02-2012, 12:03
We need the expert advice of akapennypincher!

Airborne Infantryman
02-02-2012, 19:14

Not sure if serious?

But FWIW, I've been in the U.S. Army for 6 years and counting, and I've been a Combat Infantryman for all 6 years thus far; I know weapons systems. I'm not just a regular "ground-pounder" in a regular unit, either, so we get expansive weapons training. :wavey:

faawrenchbndr
02-03-2012, 03:20

Seriously......?! I sure HOPE that was a failed attempt at humor! :dunno:

orangeride
02-03-2012, 18:26
Seriously......?! I sure HOPE that was a failed attempt at humor! :dunno:

Actually that was pretty funny! Any word from Springfield yet?

Airborne Infantryman
02-03-2012, 18:41
Actually that was pretty funny! Any word from Springfield yet?

My gun was just now logged into their system yesterday. The lady said allow at least 10 days, but I figure I'll give them a call late next week to try and find something out. The more I do research on squibs and barrel failures, the more I'm thinking this was a barrel failure. The barrel wasn't bulged, just split/cracked.

It's one of two possibilities-

1. Squib round that cycled the action and chambered another round
2. Barrel failure

The more I think about how my less than 24-hour old gun died, the more pissed off I get. :faint:

What's worse, is I was looking for an MC Operator WHILE I was in Afghanistan; November 2010 to be exact......FML

....and I finally get one and it dies on me.

TxGlock9
02-03-2012, 18:53
Yes FYL.

faawrenchbndr
02-03-2012, 19:03
..... The more I do research on squibs and barrel failures, the more I'm thinking this was a barrel failure. The barrel wasn't bulged, just split/cracked.

Stainless barrel, correct?
They split with a round fired into a squib, they do not bulge!

This IS/WAS a ammunition/shooter failed to recognize a squib failure.

Javelin
02-03-2012, 19:06
You should get a Glock. This KB crap never seems to be a problem with em.

I keeed I keeed! :wavey:

Three-Five-Seven
02-03-2012, 19:07
My gun was just now logged into their system yesterday. The lady said allow at least 10 days, but I figure I'll give them a call late next week to try and find something out. The more I do research on squibs and barrel failures, the more I'm thinking this was a barrel failure. The barrel wasn't bulged, just split/cracked.

It's one of two possibilities-

1. Squib round that cycled the action and chambered another round
2. Barrel failure

The more I think about how my less than 24-hour old gun died, the more pissed off I get. :faint:

What's worse, is I was looking for an MC Operator WHILE I was in Afghanistan; November 2010 to be exact......FML

....and I finally get one and it dies on me.

You will have no anger left after Springfield customer service gets done helping you.

Airborne Infantryman
02-03-2012, 19:08
Stainless barrel, correct?
They split with a round fired into a squib, they do not bulge!

This IS/WAS a ammunition/shooter failed to recognize a squib failure.

Interesting. Didn't know stainless split. I presume carbon steel bulges, while stainless splits?

I KNOW what a squib is, and how to recognize one....The gun functioned fine on every shot until it locked up on the final shot. The weird sound on the final shot is why I stopped, because I though it was a squib; only did I truly find out something was wrong when I tried to rack the slide to clear it.

If it wasn't a barrel failure, then the only thing I can think of is that the round before the final shot was a squib that somehow cycled the action.

Airborne Infantryman
02-03-2012, 19:10
You should get a Glock. This KB crap never seems to be a problem with em.

I keeed I keeed! :wavey:

:poke:

:supergrin:

B.Reid
02-03-2012, 19:31
Should have bought a Kimber!

Airborne Infantryman
02-03-2012, 19:42

For every 1 issue with a Springfield, I found 5-6 other issues with Kimbers.....of course, this was non-scientific, and just me tallying up the results on a piece of paper from results I found on Google.

Having to shoot 500 rounds to break it in isn't worth it to me, either. :wavey:

To each their own. :cool:

faawrenchbndr
02-04-2012, 04:33
Interesting. Didn't know stainless split. I presume carbon steel bulges, while stainless splits?

I KNOW what a squib is, and how to recognize one....The gun functioned fine on every shot until it locked up on the final shot. The weird sound on the final shot is why I stopped, because I though it was a squib; only did I truly find out something was wrong when I tried to rack the slide to clear it.

If it wasn't a barrel failure, then the only thing I can think of is that the round before the final shot was a squib that somehow cycled the action.

I know your background,.....I understand you are an experienced shooter.
I am/was not trying to poke ya in the eye, just stating my opinion that
it was an ammo related issue. Squib followed be a projectile impacting it.

Squibs can be VERY hard to recognoize........it was not your fault, ammo to blame.

1911Tuner
02-04-2012, 05:57

As hard as it is for some people to believe, they can do that...and if it happens during a fast string or a pair, you may not realize that the previous round was a squib.

How can you miss a squib?

Easy.

The slide cycles, so you get a "recoil" push from the spring. If the slide hits the frame, you get "recoil" from the impact. Even if you catch it from the light report, if you're in the trigger pull mode, you may touch off the next one before you can put on the brakes.

It takes your brain about a half-second to process information. If you're doing .2 splits, your trigger finger is running 3/10ths of a second faster than your reaction time.

Compressed, superheated air is the mechanism that causes the barrel to bulge. If it's a stainless barrel, it'll split, usually at 9 and 3. Most often, both bullets are lodged in the barrel. Sometimes, the second one drives the first one out and also escapes. It depends a lot on the power level of the second round.

How can a squib cycle the slide?

The slide doesn't require a lot of force to make the full trip. You can cycle it by hand as fast as it moves when you shoot the gun. If there's enough force to drive the bullet halfway into the barrel, there's more than enough to drive the slide. When the bullet stops, it also stops exerting a forward drag on the barrel. The slide only has to move about .200 inch to drop the barrel far enou8gh to completely disengage the lugs. Once the slide has reached that point, the bullet's location is irrelevant.

If the slide has gained sufficient momentum to take the barrel to the linkdown point, it's got momentum enough to keep moving. If it moves far enough to uncover the magazine and let another round pop up...it'll very likely feed it.

Airborne Infantryman
02-04-2012, 09:29
I know your background,.....I understand you are an experienced shooter.
I am/was not trying to poke ya in the eye, just stating my opinion that
it was an ammo related issue. Squib followed be a projectile impacting it.

Squibs can be VERY hard to recognoize........it was not your fault, ammo to blame.

No problem, sir. No harm, no foul. :wavey:

I'm just glad the ammo manufacturer has stepped up to the plate.

Airborne Infantryman
02-06-2012, 10:15
UPDATE-

Springfield custom shop received my pistol on Thursday, and replaced and fitted a new barrel, bushing, and slide stop. Everything was looked over, and the gun was test-fired, and all checked out. Total cost was $125, which Magtech ammunition covered the costs, and the pistol is on its way to me now.

It was determined to be a squib, so yea, the rare phenomenon of a squib cycling the slide happened to me.....

That was quick as hell! Springfield Armory has a lifetime customer!

silversport
02-06-2012, 10:27
I'm glad that you will be getting your pistol back, that the problem was discovered and that both Springfield and MagTech stepped up as they should...I bet you can't wait for it...

Bill

carloglock19
02-06-2012, 10:31
That's great news AI!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Glockdude1
02-06-2012, 10:35
Good to hear!!

:thumbsup:

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
02-06-2012, 11:42
Very good to hear!

craig19
02-06-2012, 21:21
Sweet, glad you were taken care of.

SpringerTGO
02-06-2012, 21:36

Yeah, then it never would have fed the 2nd round, so a squib couldn't have happened.:rofl:

And even if it did manage to feed enough to blow up, Kimber would have told him that unless it had 500 rounds through it, it wasn't broken in yet.:rofl:

Seriously, Kimber would not even have unpacked the 1911 yet, let alone fixed it.

Hogpauls
02-06-2012, 23:19
Great to hear! When you get it back go shoot the piss out of it. :cool:

steve1911
02-06-2012, 23:44
Glad they took care of the problem. SA rocks!

1911club#410

TxGlock9
02-07-2012, 02:30
Awesome..

faawrenchbndr
02-07-2012, 02:58
Outstanding news,..........stellar service from Springer as always!

crazymoose
02-07-2012, 02:58
What are you talking about? Springfields are pretty much made in Brazil. :rofl:
Jk.

That's not a joke. Only the higher-end guns get any real work done by Americans. Springfield is primarily an importer when it comes to 1911s. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Skilled American labor costs a lot. Skilled third-world labor does not. It's why Springfields and RIAs are good deals.

crazymoose
02-07-2012, 03:03

Really depends on what type of steel you're talking about, and I'm not sure what Springfield uses (probably 416). Generally, in the types of steel commonly used in guns, carbon steel will be a hair stronger in that regard.

SigFTW
02-07-2012, 10:43
UPDATE-

Springfield custom shop received my pistol on Thursday, and replaced and fitted a new barrel, bushing, and slide stop. Everything was looked over, and the gun was test-fired, and all checked out. Total cost was $125, which Magtech ammunition covered the costs, and the pistol is on its way to me now.

It was determined to be a squib, so yea, the rare phenomenon of a squib cycling the slide happened to me.....

That was quick as hell! Springfield Armory has a lifetime customer!

Great news!

Airborne Infantryman
02-08-2012, 12:40
Received my gun today. Everything was nicely packed and the gun didn't have a single mark on it...I expected it to have beauty marks on it from the smiths at Springfield, but nope; looks just like it did when I bought it. They did test fire the living hell out of it.....its VERY dirty, but that means it works as it should. I will post pics of the gun and of the damaged barrel when I get home. I had the shop I bought it from hold it for me.....can't bring unregistered guns on to the base.

I got my gun back EXACTLY one week to the day. That's customer service, ladies and gentlemen.

1911Tuner
02-08-2012, 13:03

It's not all that rare. We just don't hear about it very often because the shooter either catches it before he pulls the trigger again, or he chalks it up to forgetting that he quickly and instinctively cycled the slide. The few that do insist that it happened are laid into with the ol' hoorah, so he treats it like a Bigfoot sighting, and stops talking about it.

This is one of the risks of speed shooting and trying for the closest splits humanly possible.

Like most people, I was skeptical of the reports until I actually watched it happen one day.

Three-Five-Seven
02-08-2012, 13:37
Wow, they sent the barrel back?

Very anxious to see it !!!

Airborne Infantryman
02-08-2012, 19:30
Alright, here we go- I got home, took it down, and cleaned it extremely well. No damage anywhere on the gun; it was all contained to the barrel, bushing, and slide stop.

Anyway, here are some pics of the barrel that SA sent back to me; the gun is good to go now, and I'm going Sunday to shoot it. I can't wait!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7059/6844038831_2dfd4624e7_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7164/6844040547_7a40fa9261_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7025/6844042981_547695dc78_b.jpg

After a nice cleaning; she's gorgeous! -

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7058/6844046023_4d0e8b55bb_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7067/6844048245_897d65e14d_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7021/6844073841_a8ac7eb411_b.jpg

Airborne Infantryman
02-08-2012, 19:30
Right before I cleaned her up-

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7047/6844048927_33e2dce694_b.jpg

craig19
02-08-2012, 19:59
Looks great!

steve1911
02-09-2012, 00:44
Very nice!

1911club#410

rbsoto8
02-09-2012, 03:41
Glad you werent hurt, happy shooting.....

1911Tuner
02-13-2012, 05:36
Glad you werent hurt, happy shooting.....

It wouldn't have hurt him. By the time the obstruction was hit, pressure had dropped well below peak, and the split vented what was left into the slide and out the breech.