Colt or Springfield? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Colt or Springfield?

biscotrip
01-28-2012, 22:37
So I own a Glock 23c (my edc) and a S&W AR 15. Im wanting to get a 1911 but am stuck between Colt and Springfield. What do you have? (Pics?) And what do you reccommend?

Rally Vincent
01-28-2012, 22:50
Well, google for pics.

As for the Brand, I mainly go with Colt. I own 5 Colt made 1911's right now. Mfg dates vary from the 70's, 80's and so forth. I've not had a single major problem out of any of them. But mind you they are all government length. I don't fool with any barrel length under that.

Anyways, Until they start falling apart on me and such, I'm not going to switch over any time soon. I am a bit of a sinner though....I got a Sig GSR, and want another Sig 1911. :O

bac1023
01-28-2012, 23:06
What price range are you looking at?

tnhawk
01-29-2012, 00:22
Colt Combat Elite and Commander models
Springfield EMP 40, TRP, Loaded, and PRO models

Each has been well made, accurate and dependable.

fnfalman
01-29-2012, 01:37
Equal price? Go with Colt.

Beaucoupe bucks? Go with Springfield Custom Shop offerings.

Feanor
01-29-2012, 01:52
Colt has a higher quality product, that commands a significant resale premium over Springfield Armory pistols. Nonetheless, both can be quite excellent, I strongly recomend that you not purchase either over the internet, but instead locate them locally so that you can personally inspect their quality!

R0CKETMAN
01-29-2012, 06:21
Colt has a higher quality product, that commands a significant resale premium over Springfield Armory pistols.

Really......

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g219/rocketmanmtb/165f7c30.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g219/rocketmanmtb/988a5675.jpg

I'd take a Colt all things being equal. However, I'd have to examine it first either with detailed pics or in person.

Lew-G17
01-29-2012, 06:41
Either brand will serve you well.

In my experience, it is more about the specific pistol than the brand.

I have owned pistols from most of the factory makers out there and have only had a few minor problems.

Brands I have owned include, Colt, Springfield, STI, Para Ordnance, RIA, Bul Transmark, and Kimber.

carloglock19
01-29-2012, 07:07
Springfield Loaded Parkerized and Milspec SS (was my 1st) and they both have been 100% from day one.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

glock2740
01-29-2012, 07:58
Personally, I'd take a TRP over anything Colt makes. A SACS gun is in a whole new relm. Colt does make a great base gun, but that's about it.

bac1023
01-29-2012, 08:19
Personally, I'd take a TRP over anything Colt makes. A SACS gun is in a whole new relm. Colt does make a great base gun, but that's about it.

I'm with you, Joe. The TRP is probably better than anything Colt currently builds. I have the Special Combat Government, which is Colt's flagship model these days.

It costs more than the TRP, but the TRP is a better 1911. The only thing I prefer about the Colt is it's looks.

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/briancut1023/046.jpg

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/briancut1023/036.jpg

glock2740
01-29-2012, 08:25
I do wish that the TRP was offered without FCS and with a single side safety, but that can be taken care of...:cool:

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac341/OU1911/Guns028.jpg

bac1023
01-29-2012, 08:28
Very nice Joe. :cool:

jwhite75
01-29-2012, 08:31
Colt isnt what it used to be in the day IMO. They fell off for awhileand other factory companies caught up or down right passed them. The are coming back and some of the newer offerings are very nice guns.

I think with some research you will find they are pretty close to equal depending on the model.

I personally like the availability from SA a little better. You probably wont go wrong with either.

knedrgr
01-29-2012, 08:32
Colt has a higher quality product, that commands a significant resale premium over Springfield Armory pistols. Nonetheless, both can be quite excellent, I strongly recomend that you not purchase either over the internet, but instead locate them locally so that you can personally inspect their quality!

Really? Then how is it that every time I read an article about a Colt 1911 the author mentions that Colt is getting better in their QC dept? And from what I'm seeing, there's no way in hell would I pay for a Colt at it's current price.

Every time I've handle a Colt, there's the "Colt rattle" that is built into that 1911. Must be a must with the horse stamp.

bac1023
01-29-2012, 08:35

There is no way in hell that Colt is higher quality than Springfield. You can say Colts are built in the States while many Springfields aren't. However, dollar for dollar, Springfield builds the better product.

If you look at Springfield Custom, Colt isn't even in the same league.

glock2740
01-29-2012, 08:43
There is no way in hell that Colt is higher quality than Springfield. You can say Colts are built in the States while many Springfields aren't. However, dollar for dollar, Springfield builds the better product.

Crack! I can't even see that ball, as it was knocked too far out of the park. :rofl:

biscotrip
01-29-2012, 09:45
What price range are you looking at?

No more than 1000

Glockdude1
01-29-2012, 09:53
Springfield.

:cool:

gocubs6
01-29-2012, 09:53
No more than 1000

Springfield.

bac1023
01-29-2012, 10:13
No more than 1000

Get a Springfield Range Officer. :cool:

Actually, the best 1911 at $1000 is the STI Trojan, in my opinion. Have you looked at STI?

bac1023
01-29-2012, 10:14
Crack! I can't even see that ball, as it was knocked too far out of the park. :rofl:

:animlol:

G21FAN
01-29-2012, 10:23

Agreed. I Have a Colt Lightweight Government Model from the XSE line and it is a champ!

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo96/medic15al/004-1.jpg

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo96/medic15al/005.jpg

deadite
01-29-2012, 11:25
Out of the two choices, I'd probably go with Colt for the name, but I'd most likely go with a Dan Wesson instead of either.

But yeah, Springfield makes a better 1911 in general than Colt.

deadite

fnfalman
01-29-2012, 11:48
Out of the two choices, I'd probably go with Colt for the name, but I'd most likely go with a Dan Wesson instead of either.

But yeah, Springfield makes a better 1911 in general than Colt.

deadite

Springfield doesn't make squat. IMBEL does. Colt actually makes its own pistols.

glock2740
01-29-2012, 14:17
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g219/rocketmanmtb/165f7c30.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g219/rocketmanmtb/988a5675.jpg

Springfield doesn't make squat. IMBEL does. Colt actually makes its own pistols.
Some good ole' American quality right there.

faawrenchbndr
01-29-2012, 14:34
I own both Colt & Springfield.

Springfield is the better product.
Over the years, Springfield's quality has far exceeded Colt's.

deadite
01-29-2012, 15:14

There's that. ;)

bac1023
01-29-2012, 15:18

IMBEL does some good work though.

Springfield Custom builds the flagship models and they do one hell of a job. :)

bac1023
01-29-2012, 15:19
I own both Colt & Springfield.

Springfield is the better product.
Over the years, Springfield's quality has far exceeded Colt's.

No doubt, Greg.

Colts will always hold their value better, but as far as quality is concerned, Springfield has the edge in every price range, in my opinion.

HexHead
01-29-2012, 15:30
I've had Kimbers, Springfields, Para and Colt 1911s and the only one of those brands I'd even consider buying again is a Colt.

One of my Speingfields, an EMP was the biggest piece of crap pistol I've ever owned. Nothing but problems, even after a trip home to the factory. In fact, it was even worse when I got it back. My Colt New Agent on the other hand, same 3" size as the EMP was nothing but flawless no matter what ammo I put in it. It was as reliable as a Gen3 Glock. And a pre-2010 one at that.

bac1023
01-29-2012, 15:46
I've had Kimbers, Springfields, Para and Colt 1911s and the only one of those brands I'd even consider buying again is a Colt.

One of my Speingfields, an EMP was the biggest piece of crap pistol I've ever owned. Nothing but problems, even after a trip home to the factory. In fact, it was even worse when I got it back. My Colt New Agent on the other hand, same 3" size as the EMP was nothing but flawless no matter what ammo I put in it. It was as reliable as a Gen3 Glock. And a pre-2010 one at that.

I actually don't even consider the EMP a 1911.

I know SA had some issues with the early models.

Glolt20-91
01-29-2012, 18:37
I'm seriously looking at getting an MC Operator because I've heard a lot of good things about it. I don't like the front strap cheese shredders SA uses on some of their front straps, but I guess the high points can be smoothed out a bit.

The SA GI I bought had a few parts well out of spec and were replaced. In response to a GT thread claiming 1911s were too unreliable to be carried for personal defense, I put a WWII Remington Rand slide on top (Colt National Match barrel w/old style barrel bushing) of the new SA GI and tested for function. With WWII springs and other parts, I wasn't sure of what to expect. The Springfield receiver and Remington slide with GI surplus parts performed flawlessly and I posted the results complete with pictures. Included in the testing was a string of 150 rounds fired as fast as I could pull the trigger and reload.

I presently have 3 Colts that have had carry time; a Lew Horton combat/target with the ugly old rollmark, an XSE and a plain Jane 38 Super.

I'm not sure what makes Springfield possessing a greater degree of quality than Colts, but the Lew Horton and XSE have been flawless (we're talking years) out of the box; including handloaded groups in the 1.5"/25yds range.

Heat can cause a tight slide/frame fit to fail to function. Hot Arizona summer days make for a great environment to test for reliable heat function and all three Colts have passed these tests with flying colors. I expect Springfields would perform flawlessly too.

I wish I knew how to post photobucket pics from a smartphone. During a hot 115F day I left the XSE laying in the sun while I shot another pistol and M1 Garand. Even with stainless steel construction and wooden grips, the XSE was hot to hold; but it would become extremely hot after shooting 150 rounds as fast as I could pull the trigger.

To me, an important, if not the most important aspect of quality is a pistol's ability to function flawlessly during extreme environments. :supergrin:

ijacek
01-29-2012, 19:11
Colt

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/jac3k/P7012954.jpg

glock2740
01-29-2012, 19:13
Colt

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/jac3k/P7012954.jpg
Good looking gun. I'd love to see what Chuck Rogers could turn it into. :)

bac1023
01-29-2012, 20:49
Good looking gun. I'd love to see what Chuck Rogers could turn it into. :)

No doubt :cool:

Glolt20-91
01-30-2012, 01:53
Forgot to add the link to this duty carry article, author likes both Colt and Springfields; doesn't like the Schwartz safety design.

http://www.10-8performance.com/pages/Choosing-a-1911-for-Duty-Use.html

faawrenchbndr
01-30-2012, 03:36
Springfield

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c341/faawrenchbndr/MillerCustomSpringfieldpicXI-Copy.jpg

ca survivor
01-30-2012, 07:46
I have 3 Colts, but I have a Springfield RO too.

dreis454
01-30-2012, 08:57
I choose Colt but am biased due to my geographic location....

I am new to 1911s and just got my first on jan 3 2012, It is a Colt stainless commander XSE and i am seriously thinking about getting an SA Loaded stainless champion to go with it.

The Colt is too pretty to carry & is a very limited edition (as all COLTS are) so the SA will be sharing carry time with my Glock 36.

SpringerTGO
01-30-2012, 09:12
I don't have experience with modern Colts, but my Springfield has been near perfect.
Also, Springfield service is in a class of it's own.

Three-Five-Seven
01-30-2012, 13:35
I own both.

The Springfield is my go-to gun for competition because it has been 100%.

However, the Colt's is excellent in every way and much better finished than the Springfield. The inside of the Springfield looks like the brooches were used for months too long. The Colt's is very well machined on the inside and outside.

The current Colt's guns are outstanding. Anybody who says otherwise doesn't own one.

brisk21
01-30-2012, 13:43

Well that doesn't make them any better. I like both, but outside of getting a series '70 Colt and having it customized Id go with a Springfield. Quality is good on both brands, but I like the looks and features Springfield offers.

Wyoming
01-30-2012, 21:32

:agree:

Colt don't make "bad" stuff. If you own a Colt 1911 it is a good gun. If you are in the market for a 1911 you can get more bang for the buck if you shop around. The last Colt 1911 I owned was a Gold Cup that I bought new for $248 (early 1970's) It was a good gun in it's day. The only thing that I see Colt leading in is resale. Every Colt I ever owned I sold it for way more than what I paid for it. That is because there are people out there that think they are better. OK I won't argue because I still own A Colt H Bar Match, Colt Cobra in nickel and an Anaconda 6". I seldom shoot them because I have cheaper and better shooters to use.

If you want a 1911 to look at and sell for more than what you paid for than get you a Colt.

If you want a 1911 to shoot for under $1000 than get you a Springfield. If you can save up some more than get you a Springfield TRP. Mine has a 4 pound trigger that breaks clean. I would prefer it had a finer checker front strap but it is very functional as is.

MajorD
01-30-2012, 21:52
this comes down to a honda vs chevy kind of argument- both makes are good- one is made overseas while one is made here. if that is a big deal to you then you buy Colt. If it is not then buy springfield. not going to go wrong either way EXCEPT down the road if you decide to sell the colt will always hold value better.
I owned at least 6 Colts but no springfields- mostly because I have been very happy with my colts (all bought used at one time or another) and never paid more than 650 bucks for one.

glock2740
01-30-2012, 21:59
this comes down to a honda vs chevy kind of argument- both makes are good- one is made overseas while one is made here. if that is a big deal to you then you buy Colt. If it is not then buy springfield. not going to go wrong either way EXCEPT down the road if you decide to sell the colt will always hold value better.
I owned at least 6 Colts but no springfields- mostly because I have been very happy with my colts (all bought used at one time or another) and never paid more than 650 bucks for one.
They hold their value, yet you bought all 6 of them for a song and a dance? :dunno:

fnfalman
01-30-2012, 23:28
Some good ole' American quality right there.

Better than some joint trying to pass foreign products as American made by playing on an old and halcyon American arsenal's name.

glock2740
01-30-2012, 23:35
Better than some joint trying to pass foreign products as American made by playing on an old and halcyon American arsenal's name.
Whatever. :upeyes: Oh hey, when's that Talo Limited Edition Colt CCO you got, gonna be coming back from Colt? Didn't you have to send it back to the factory? And,...Halcyon? Did someone regift you a word of the day calender for Christmas? :dunno:

faawrenchbndr
01-31-2012, 03:04

I see you're still running those long lines,........

Line Rider
01-31-2012, 06:30
I own both 2 Springfield and a Colt. If I knew the differences then I'd bought Colts.

brisk21
01-31-2012, 09:27

Why does someone that rides Aprillia have so much contempt for a partially forign Springfield?

chakup
01-31-2012, 11:47
Ummm both
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr324/2k5wrx/Guns/SA%201915/IMG_0305.jpg
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr324/2k5wrx/Guns/IMG_20110529_143842.jpg

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr324/2k5wrx/Guns/Colts/IMG_0387.jpg
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr324/2k5wrx/20120128_100512.jpg

ronin.45
01-31-2012, 12:17

Thank you BAC! I've been saying the same thing for years. Colt's QC went to hell years ago. They are definitely much better now, but they still don't offer top dollar features for top dollar prices. Mil-spec style sights, grip safety, slide release, hammer, etc. aren't what I expect on a modern combat type gun. You get much better features on a lowly Springfield loaded than most Colts. The fit/finish/features on a TRP put colt to shame.

fnfalman
01-31-2012, 12:44
Why does someone that rides Aprillia have so much contempt for a partially forign Springfield?

Because Aprilia is primo Italian. Also itt's not partially foreign Springfield but totally foreign Springfield.

fnfalman
01-31-2012, 12:46
Mil-spec style sights, grip safety, slide release, hammer, etc. aren't what I expect on a modern combat type gun. You get much better features on a lowly Springfield loaded than most Colts. The fit/finish/features on a TRP put colt to shame.

Some of us like our guns that way. Geegaws don't make for better guns.

BTW, the fit and finish of the cheap ass Filipino guns also put IMBEL guns to shame. How do you explain that?

fnfalman
01-31-2012, 12:47
I see you're still running those long lines,........

What? I'm speaking falsehood? That Springfield of Illinois isn't trying to use the famed name of Springfield Armory Arsenal for their business?

fnfalman
01-31-2012, 12:49
Whatever. :upeyes: Oh hey, when's that Talo Limited Edition Colt CCO you got, gonna be coming back from Colt? Didn't you have to send it back to the factory? And,...Halcyon? Did someone regift you a word of the day calender for Christmas? :dunno:

Sights aren't regulated correctly, big whoopdedoo.:dunno:

How about them compact Les Baers? Work really well?

Yes, "Halcyon". Perhaps you may know what it means before wikipedia it?

Oh yeah, here it is, Springfield's quality product.

problems with my Springfield armory 1911 .45 - YouTube

faawrenchbndr
01-31-2012, 14:34
What? I'm speaking falsehood? That Springfield of Illinois isn't trying to use the famed name of Springfield Armory Arsenal for their business?

Naw,......"running long lines" as in fishing, as in trolling?! :dunno:

faawrenchbndr
01-31-2012, 14:35

:rofl:

He's a Colt fan-boy! :tongueout:

fnfalman
01-31-2012, 14:58

He's a Colt fan-boy! :tongueout:

If it ain't a Colt, it's a copy.:tongueout:

faawrenchbndr
01-31-2012, 15:02
If it ain't a Colt, it's a copy.:tongueout:

Good point,......

faawrenchbndr
01-31-2012, 15:11
However,.....someone always comes along and builds a better mousetrap.
This time,..........Sprigfield!

:tongueout:

Rally Vincent
01-31-2012, 15:44

Sprigfield? Is that Brazilian for Springfield?

faawrenchbndr
01-31-2012, 16:00
Sprigfield? Is that Brazilian for Springfield?

Yep,......ding, dang, darn, lack of spell checker,.....

brisk21
01-31-2012, 17:45
Some of us like our guns that way. Geegaws don't make for better guns.

BTW, the fit and finish of the cheap ass Filipino guns also put IMBEL guns to shame. How do you explain that?

Ok, go find me a Filipino gun that has a better fit and finish than this.

http://i542.photobucket.com/albums/gg428/benrisk21/2011-02-03_14-01-01_960.jpg

BTW, Ducati is best Italian motorcycle.:tongueout:

fnfalman
01-31-2012, 18:01

You mean IMBEL?

fnfalman
01-31-2012, 18:06
For a mere $400, you can get this. How much is the IMBEL?

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f308/fnfalman/Guns/ATI/ATIFitment1.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f308/fnfalman/Guns/ATI/ATIFitment31.jpg

Ok, go find me a Filipino gun that has a better fit and finish than this.

http://i542.photobucket.com/albums/gg428/benrisk21/2011-02-03_14-01-01_960.jpg

fnfalman
01-31-2012, 18:07
BTW, Ducati is best Italian motorcycle.:tongueout:

Oh yes, the great Ducati motorcycle...how well had it fared in MotoGP with that carbon frame?:rofl:

And why is Ducati whining about Aprilia participating in the 2012 MotoGP with its CRT bikes?:whistling:

If you want to pose, you get a Ducati. If you want to ride, you get an Aprilia.

Wyoming
01-31-2012, 20:07

It is still a scooter!

Also, IMBEL knew how to make good a FAL rifle. I know that is a copy too of the FN FAL! :tongueout:

brisk21
01-31-2012, 20:15

It is still a scooter!

Also, IMBEL knew how to make good a FAL rifle. I know that is a copy too of the FN FAL! :tongueout:

I think the dude owns several real Aprillia motorcycles.

glock2740
01-31-2012, 20:20
For a mere $400, you can get this. How much is the IMBEL?

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f308/fnfalman/Guns/ATI/ATIFitment1.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f308/fnfalman/Guns/ATI/ATIFitment31.jpg
Good point. I'm selling all of my Wilson, Baer, Nighthawk, Guncrafter and especially SACS guns, after looking at that work of art. That gun in the pics MUST be a Colt reject.

CharlestonG26
01-31-2012, 20:33

+1...I had a couple of Colt XSE Commanders (lightweight and combat) and thought their quality sucked. I bought a TRP last year and have found it to be a much better pistol.

Wyoming
01-31-2012, 21:14
I think the dude owns several real Aprillia motorcycles.

Size does matter. I work with a kid that used to ride a motorcycle with a 350 V8 Chevy engine. Now that was a motorcycle! It got about 7 MPG but it was made in America.

I looked it up, Aprillia makes scooters and bigger scooters. Their bigger scooters look like they would go fast and get better mileage but they are not American made. :whistling:

glock2740
01-31-2012, 22:18
Bottom line...Colt makes a great base gun. So does SA. SA makes a way better gun in the upper price range (TRP). Colt's custom shop doesn't have ANYTHING on SACS. SACS guns are in a whole new upper level relm. Hell, Colt can't/won't even work on their own guns, i.e., Python. Pretty sad.

knedrgr
01-31-2012, 22:39
fnfalman

Let see if I got this correctly.

1) SA makes less than desirable 1911 cause it's a sham of an operation that's being run out of IMBEL.
2) Colt trump SA cause it's the originator of the 1911. And you gladly would pay for their over price, rattle trap 1911, just because it's made in the USA.
3) And you will also be glad to own a Filipino 1911 cause it has a high ROI due to their low price and better fitment.

Such contradictions.

You bash that SA is an imported gun, and doesn't deserve your money, but then would turn around and give it to those Asians for their cheaper 1911. And then ultimately, will gladly over paid for a Colt just cause its made in the USA. Hope that Pony lubes you up every time it takes you for a ride.

Yeah, all makes perfect sense...in your head. Whatever makes you happy at night...

bac1023
01-31-2012, 23:13
+1...I had a couple of Colt XSE Commanders (lightweight and combat) and thought their quality sucked. I bought a TRP last year and have found it to be a much better pistol.

The TRP is a great 1911 indeed.

brisk21
02-01-2012, 00:12
fnfalman

1) SA makes less than desirable 1911 cause it's a sham of an operation that's being run out of IMBEL.
2) Colt trump SA cause it's the originator of the 1911. And you gladly would pay for their over price, rattle trap 1911, just because it's made in the USA.
3) And you will also be glad to own a Filipino 1911 cause it has a high ROI due to their low price and better fitment.

Such contradictions.

You bash that SA is an imported gun, and doesn't deserve your money, but then would turn around and give it to those Asians for their cheaper 1911. And then ultimately, will gladly over paid for a Colt just cause its made in the USA. Hope that Pony lubes you up every time it takes you for a ride.

Yeah, all makes perfect sense...in your head. Whatever makes you happy at night...

Well that pretty much wraps up this thread. falman is a colt fanboy and you just proved it. You should be a lawyer! LOL!!

thinktwice
02-01-2012, 00:50
I own both Colts & Springfield's, and others. I don't think you can go wrong with either. That's something you will have to decide. Go look at them all, and rent them if you can, then make your decision.This could go on forever, because you have everyone saying this one is better than that one. I mean most of the the people that are telling you Colt is better than Springfield is because they have a Colt, and same for the ones saying Springfield is better than Colt. The fact is they are both great companies, and produce a good quality product. And that's a fact!

faawrenchbndr
02-01-2012, 03:14
Seems as if the last two post summed it up VERY well! :thumbsup:

Rally Vincent
02-01-2012, 05:22
Nothing's wrapped up. Lemon Springers, good Springers. Lemon Colts, good Colts.
Everything we post is just an opinion anyways. It's a one for one battle with these two brands and just boils down to personal preference.

fnfalman
02-01-2012, 09:21
Well that pretty much wraps up this thread. falman is a colt fanboy and you just proved it. You should be a lawyer! LOL!!

Better a Colt fanboy than a copy fanboy.

fnfalman
02-01-2012, 09:22
I own both Colts & Springfield's, and others. I don't think you can go wrong with either. That's something you will have to decide. Go look at them all, and rent them if you can, then make your decision.This could go on forever, because you have everyone saying this one is better than that one. I mean most of the the people that are telling you Colt is better than Springfield is because they have a Colt, and same for the ones saying Springfield is better than Colt. The fact is they are both great companies, and produce a good quality product. And that's a fact!

I'll agree to most of what you're saying except that Colt produces quality products while Springfield imports quality products. AND that's why in another 50-years or 100-years, the Prancing Pony will still be more valued.

fnfalman
02-01-2012, 09:29

It is still a scooter!

And it's still better than whatever you have on two wheels.

Yes, they did and still make great COPIES of the FN FAL.

Good point. I'm selling all of my Wilson, Baer, Nighthawk, Guncrafter and especially SACS guns, after looking at that work of art. That gun in the pics MUST be a Colt reject.

You should. In another fifty years nobody would know what a Wilson is but they still know what a Colt is. BTW, how are the customer service and quality products from Nighthawk lately?:rofl:

I looked it up, Aprillia makes scooters and bigger scooters. Their bigger scooters look like they would go fast and get better mileage but they are not American made. :whistling:

Aprilia's bigger scooters will put anything American made to shame. Aprilia motorcycles are simply unmatched by anything American.

fnfalman

Such contradictions.

What contradictions? Foreign guns should be cheap. You pay for an overpriced foreign gun and you have the temerity to tell me that I pay more for an American product? The HS2000 was a great Croatian plastic phantastic. Springfield got a hold of it and suddenly the MSRP climbed 100%. :rofl:

I'd rather be poked by American than by foreigners. But hey, if you like to get taken a ride by heavy marked up foreign imports then who am I to tell you otherwise?

My money, my choice...if that's OK with you.

fnfalman
02-01-2012, 09:32
Nothing's wrapped up. Lemon Springers, good Springers. Lemon Colts, good Colts.
Everything we post is just an opinion anyways. It's a one for one battle with these two brands and just boils down to personal preference.

And then of course those who chime in with their chic boutique $3000+ guns yet conveniently forget about quality and reliability issues with these supposed "premier custom gunsmithed" guns.

Would one of these experts regale me again about how great the Les Baer compacts are?

Wyoming
02-01-2012, 09:35
fnfalman your are a good sport! All my "scooters" have four wheels and I can beat yours IF I can pick the course!

knedrgr
02-01-2012, 10:04
What contradictions? Foreign guns should be cheap. You pay for an overpriced foreign gun and you have the temerity to tell me that I pay more for an American product? The HS2000 was a great Croatian plastic phantastic. Springfield got a hold of it and suddenly the MSRP climbed 100%. :rofl:

I'd rather be poked by American than by foreigners. But hey, if you like to get taken a ride by heavy marked up foreign imports then who am I to tell you otherwise?

My money, my choice...if that's OK with you.

Dude, you have your head way up where the sun don't shine, on that Pony, to realized you're a huge contradiction.

I've only chimed in cause you never make sense in most of your post. I just point out the obvious contradiction that you've continue to post on this forum. The stupidity never seizes to amaze me.

Frankly, I don't care what you or other people do with their money. One man's trash is another man's treasure. And I know what saying is a two way street.

When Colt puts out a quality product that's worth my money, then I'll buy one of their product:
Case and point, their new CCO is such a POS that it's a joke that they want close to $1K for that gun. The slide, frame and barrel bushing are loose as a $5 whore. The trigger pull was close to a DA revolver. The BTGS fitting was pure comical. And I could've shaved with how sharp the edges are.

But until then, I'll vote and boycott Colt.

fnfalman
02-01-2012, 10:18
Dude, you have your head way up where the sun don't shine, on that Pony, to realized you're a huge contradiction.

I've only chimed in cause you never make sense in most of your post. I just point out the obvious contradiction that you've continue to post on this forum. The stupidity never seizes to amaze me.

Frankly, I don't care what you or other people do with their money. One man's trash is another man's treasure. And I know what saying is a two way street.

When Colt puts out a quality product that's worth my money, then I'll buy one of their product:
Case and point, their new CCO is such a POS that it's a joke that they want close to $1K for that gun. The slide, frame and barrel bushing are loose as a $5 whore. The trigger pull was close to a DA revolver. The BTGS fitting was pure comical. And I could've shaved with how sharp the edges are.

Once again, what contradiction?

Foreign guns should be cheap. They were cheaply made (material cost less and labor cost less). Why should I pay for a Brazilian gun the same price I would pay for an American or German gun?

I see that you didn't contradicted my claim about how Springfield jacketed up the HS2000's price.

You can talk about Springfield all you want and how bad the Colts are. Fifty years from now, Colt products will still be desirable and Springfield or whatever name gets slapped on IMBEl products probably wouldn't be so much.

When you buy a Colt, you buy more than just the product itself. You buy the name, the tradition, the history and the future value.

Had there been vehicles better made, better performed, better priced than a Ferrari? Of course there are. Yet Ferraris are still desirable and the others are, well, whatever they are.

knedrgr
02-01-2012, 10:58
Once again, what contradiction?

I see that you didn't contradicted my claim about how Springfield jacketed up the HS2000's price.

When you buy a Colt, you buy more than just the product itself. You buy the name, the tradition, the history and the future value.

You still can't see it? Plainly, you advocate for a Colt, US made, over the SA's Imbel made. But then would praise the foreign RIA.

Sure a SA Loaded N-serial is as loose as a Colt, but find a NM-serial and it's a night and day difference between that and any of Colt's offering. For some reason, you have a grudge against SA. So, you're blanketed implication that all SA's are foreign and POS is wrong. But yet, you continue to think that Colt builts a quality product is lunatic.

Like you said, when one buys a Colt, they're buying a name, tradition, and history. Hence they're banking on the marketing of such name, therefore, they will continue to rape you on pricing. At the current state, I think Colt is completely over price for their product.

I don't care what name is on my gun. As long as it's built correctly and not a POS, then I'm happy. Nor do I care where the gun's metal origin comes from.

And lastly, don't know nor care about the HS2000 or SA's XD. Hence my lack of response. I've shot my share of XD's, and frankly, I don't like that model. Therefore, I went with the M&P line.

fnfalman
02-01-2012, 11:48
You still can't see it? Plainly, you advocate for a Colt, US made, over the SA's Imbel made. But then would praise the foreign RIA.

Because the Filipino guns are rightly priced. They're foreign and they're cheap. Back twenty years ago, IMBEL guns were great because they were as good or better than Colt AND cheap.

Sure a SA Loaded N-serial is as loose as a Colt, but find a NM-serial and it's a night and day difference between that and any of Colt's offering. For some reason, you have a grudge against SA. So, you're blanketed implication that all SA's are foreign and POS is wrong. But yet, you continue to think that Colt builts a quality product is lunatic.

Where did I say that SA products are crap? I bought two, gave one away to my best friend and still have another.

Like you said, when one buys a Colt, they're buying a name, tradition, and history. Hence they're banking on the marketing of such name, therefore, they will continue to rape you on pricing. At the current state, I think Colt is completely over price for their product.

Colt learned its lessons of the 1980s-2000s where banking on their names alone got them bankrupted. Their current products are light years ahead of what they were conking out thirty years ago.

I don't care what name is on my gun. As long as it's built correctly and not a POS, then I'm happy. Nor do I care where the gun's metal origin comes from.

You may not, but others do.

And lastly, don't know nor care about the HS2000 or SA's XD. Hence my lack of response. I've shot my share of XD's, and frankly, I don't like that model. Therefore, I went with the M&P line.

You may not care about the guns themselves but you should know how much money you overpay for Springfield imported products be they IMBEL or HS. That way when you accuse Colt owners of overpaying...well...look in the mirror.

RussP
02-01-2012, 11:55
Okay, so if I can buy a new SA Loaded, the PX9151LP model, NM serial number, for $800, that's better than saving a couple hundred more and getting a Colt Combat Elite?

jr_tex
02-01-2012, 14:13
Okay, so if I can buy a new SA Loaded, the PX9151LP model, NM serial number, for $800, that's better than saving a couple hundred more and getting a Colt Combat Elite?

No. The Elite will have a better trigger out of the box and is better finished. I have also had problems with my loaded and magazines. I had buy Wilson's and CMC for it to feed will any reliability. All three colts I bought had better triggers out of the box than the 2 springfields. One of the SAs was a RO.

glock2740
02-01-2012, 16:19
In another fifty years nobody would know what a Wilson is but they still know what a Colt is. BTW, how are the customer service and quality products from Nighthawk lately?:rofl:

Wilson has probably sold more 1911's this year than Colt did all of last year. And I wouldn't know what NH's customer service is like, since I've never needed it. Get your gun back from Colt yet?

faawrenchbndr
02-01-2012, 16:36

That IS quite possible,,.........love my NM prefix Loaded.

bac1023
02-01-2012, 16:40
Wilson has probably sold more 1911's this year than Colt did all of last year.

I wouldn't doubt it.

Paul7
02-01-2012, 18:15

I handled a new Colt Series 70 yesterday and was amazed at how bad the trigger was. I've got a RIA tactical and could easily afford a 'better' 1911, but somehow I never get around to it.

bac1023
02-01-2012, 18:17
I handled a new Colt Series 70 yesterday and was amazed at how bad the trigger was. I've got a RIA tactical and could easily afford a 'better' 1911, but somehow I never get around to it.

Colt 1911s aren't exactly known for their incredibly crisp triggers these days.

Lockback
02-01-2012, 18:30
Colt isnt what it used to be in the day IMO. They fell off for awhileand other factory companies caught up or down right passed them. The are coming back and some of the newer offerings are very nice guns.

I think with some research you will find they are pretty close to equal depending on the model.

I personally like the availability from SA a little better. You probably wont go wrong with either.
That's my take too, FWIW.
I had horrible luck with my 1980s vintage Colt 1911s and switched to Springfield.
And have never looked back.
I don't know what Colt is producing now. I haven't shot a recent model. I hope they're on their way back up the ladder ... but so many others have produced really good 1911s for a long time now.

bac1023
02-01-2012, 20:51
That's my take too, FWIW.
I had horrible luck with my 1980s vintage Colt 1911s and switched to Springfield.
And have never looked back.
I don't know what Colt is producing now. I haven't shot a recent model. I hope they're on their way back up the ladder ... but so many others have produced really good 1911s for a long time now.

Colt is doing much better now than they were in the 80's.

Wyoming
02-01-2012, 21:11
So I own a Glock 23c (my edc) and a S&W AR 15. Im wanting to get a 1911 but am stuck between Colt and Springfield. What do you have? (Pics?) And what do you reccommend?

To the original question that started all this.

Bisco, did we clear it all up for you? Confused? Can't make up your mind then buy a Kimber.

Oh oh, did just pour gas on a burning issue? :supergrin:

craig19
02-01-2012, 21:18
For me its Springfield, their quality is better and Colts are overpriced. I don't have the funds to throw away money on an over priced pistol, based on the name.

Ruggles
02-01-2012, 21:24
Owning 4 Colts and 3 Springfield 1911s in the past I would say they are more or less equal in their overall build and quality. Let the model, feature and appearance decide for you, not the brand. There is simply not enough difference between them to matter IMO.

Fan boys aside the truth is they are as different as Coke & Pepsi IMO.

fnfalman
02-01-2012, 22:39
Wilson has probably sold more 1911's this year than Colt did all of last year. And I wouldn't know what NH's customer service is like, since I've never needed it. Get your gun back from Colt yet?

So, now Wilson is a mass marketer?

Not yet, but when she comes back I'm sure that she'd be superb.

Of course you've never had sights switched out on your M1911s before.:rofl:

fnfalman
02-01-2012, 22:41

Go try a Kimber/SW/Springfield trigger and then compare them to your RIA. Chances are your RIA's trigger pulls are a lot better than these overpriced guns too.

It's a damn shame that Filipino guns are better made than guns more than twice their prices.

glock2740
02-01-2012, 22:44
Have fun in that strange little world that you live in. Good luck with all of that. :wavey:

fnfalman
02-01-2012, 22:46
Have fun in that strange little world that you live in. Good luck with all of that. :wavey:

Good luck with yours and your overpriced foreign guns.

glock2740
02-01-2012, 22:56
Good luck with yours and your overpriced foreign guns.
:rofl:My "overpriced" guns consist of 2 Wilsons, 1 Nighthawk, 2 Les Baers and 4 Guncrafters. I didn't know those were foreign made? :dunno:

faawrenchbndr
02-02-2012, 03:39
Damn Fellas.............quit feeding the trolls!

Paul7
02-02-2012, 09:04
Go try a Kimber/SW/Springfield trigger and then compare them to your RIA. Chances are your RIA's trigger pulls are a lot better than these overpriced guns too.

It's a damn shame that Filipino guns are better made than guns more than twice their prices.

About the only difference is that the 'cheap' Filipino guns are made by people making a dollar something an hour.

dreis454
02-02-2012, 09:13
If you didn't know why Colt had QC issues in the '80s...read,

In 1985, Colt's workers, members of the United Auto Workers went on strike for higher wages. This strike would ultimately last for five years, and was one of the longest running labor strikes in American history.[41] With replacement workers running production, the quality of Colt's firearms began to decline. Dissatisfied with Colt's production, in 1988 the U.S. military awarded the contract for future M16 production to Fabrique Nationale.[42]
Some criticized Colt's range of handgun products in the late 1980s as out of touch with the demands of the market, and their once-vaunted reputation for quality had suffered during the UAW strike. Colt's stable of double-action revolvers and single-action pistols was seen as old-fashioned by a marketplace that was captivated by the new generation of "wondernines" - high-capacity, 9x19mm Parabellum caliber handguns, as typified by the Glock 17. Realizing that the future of the company was at stake, labor and management agreed to end the strike in an arrangement that resulted in Colt being sold to a group of private investors, the State of Connecticut, and the UAW itself.[43]
The new Colt first attempted to address some of the demands of the market with the production in 1989 of the Double Eagle, a double-action pistol heavily based on the M1911 design, which was seen as an attempt to "modernize" the classic Browning design. Colt followed this up in 1992 with the Colt All American 2000, which was unlike any other handgun Colt had produced before—being a polymer-framed, rotary-bolt, 9x19mm handgun with a magazine capacity of 15 rounds. It was designed by Reed Knight, with parts manufactured by outside vendors and assembled by Colt; its execution was disastrous. Early models were plagued with inaccuracy and unreliability, and suffered from the poor publicity of a product recall. The product launch failed and production of the All American 2000 ended in 1994.[44][45] This series of events led to the company's Chapter 11 bankruptcy in 1992.[46]
The 1990s brought the end of Cold War, which resulted in a large down turn for the entire defense industry. Colt was hit by this downturn, though it would be made worse later in the 1990s by a boycott by the shooting public in America. In 1994, the assets of Colt were purchased by Zilkha & Co, a financial group owned by Donald Zilkha. It was speculated that Zilkha's financial backing of the company enabled Colt to begin winning back military contracts. In fact during the time period it won only one contract, the M4 carbine. However, the U.S. Military had been purchasing Colt Carbines for the past 30 years (See Colt Commando). During a 1998 Washington Post interview, CEO Ron Stewart stated that he would favor a federal permit system with training and testing for gun ownership. This led to a massive grass-roots boycott of Colt's products by gun stores and US gun owners.[47]
Zilkha replaced Stewart with Steven Sliwa and focused the remainder of Colt's handgun design efforts into "smart guns," a concept favored politically, but that had little interest or support among handgun owners or Police Departments. This research never produced any meaningful results due to the limited technology at the time.[47] Colt announced the termination of its production of double action revolvers in October 1999.

Rally Vincent
02-02-2012, 09:17
Yeah, since colt had a bad run in the 80's and 90's everything they have ever made and continue to make must be trash. Ok, ok, please mail all unwanted colts to me for immediate destruction.

Nickpisp
02-02-2012, 10:22
For me its Springfield, their quality is better and Colts are overpriced. I don't have the funds to throw away money on an over priced pistol, based on the name.

Overpriced? A comparable Colt is around $100 to $150 more than a Springer. When I sell a Colt 5 years later I'll get at least my money back and the Springer will have to go at a discount.

Nickpisp
02-02-2012, 10:26

Many, many posts I've seen you bash Colt. You need to compare apples to apples. I have one of the TALO CCO's and it's nothing like the one you describe plus you're always comparing it to a DW CCO that costs 50% more. I like Springers and Colt's and own both. The only Springer I've owned that's any better than my Colt's is the TRP and it cost $500 more.

1911ES
02-02-2012, 10:32
Inspect each and handle each of pistols you are considering, the decide which 1911 YOU prefer.

I have the Colt Wiley Clapp 1911, and I love it .... :perfect10:

craig19
02-02-2012, 10:44
Yeah, since colt had a bad run in the 80's and 90's everything they have ever made and continue to make must be trash. Ok, ok, please mail all unwanted colts to me for immediate destruction.

They also produced some good stuff in the 70's too.:whistling:

Overpriced? A comparable Colt is around $100 to $150 more than a Springer. When I sell a Colt 5 years later I'll get at least my money back and the Springer will have to go at a discount.

I could take a dump in a Colt box and sell it and get money back, doesn't mean its worth it.

My experience with Colt 1911s has not been good, and I have no plans to buy any in the future. If someone gave me one, I'd take it, but I feel there are better options out there for the money.

Rally Vincent
02-02-2012, 10:57
They also produced some good stuff in 70's too

Oh yeah? Weird, I have two colts made in the 70's that are perfect. Many friends of mine also own 70's era Colts with no complaints. Guess we just got the good ones huh? Nonsense.

craig19
02-02-2012, 11:14
Oh yeah? Weird, I have two colts made in the 70's that are perfect. Many friends of mine also own 70's era Colts with no complaints. Guess we just got the good ones huh? Nonsense.

I guess so, I had a commander that was a jam-o-matic. Glad you haven't had issues with yours.

knedrgr
02-02-2012, 11:59
Many, many posts I've seen you bash Colt. You need to compare apples to apples. I have one of the TALO CCO's and it's nothing like the one you describe plus you're always comparing it to a DW CCO that costs 50% more. I like Springers and Colt's and own both. The only Springer I've owned that's any better than my Colt's is the TRP and it cost $500 more.

Nick,
I don't have a problem with owning a Colt. But until I have handled one that doesn't have major cosmetic and other issues, then I would buy one. Like I said before, it don't care what brand is on my gun, as long as it's put together and meet certain criteria, for that price range, then I would buy it.

Maybe my expectation for shelling out $1K for a Colt CCO is just a little too critical. But again, of the samples of Colt CCO's that I've handle just haven't met my expectations for a pistol costing that much. You must had gotten a deal on your Talo CCO, but I haven't seen any that sells NIB for $650. This is base on your statement of DW CCO costing 50% more. Street price on a DW CCO is roughly $1300.

Brucev
02-02-2012, 12:01

Re: OP. I've owned several 1911's produced by both COLT and Springfield. For shooting, either is good. But the one that best suits your price range, interest, etc. For carry, the same advice applies. If you are concerned about any customer service issues, buy the Springfield. If you are thinking that down the road you will want to customize, etc., buy the COLT. If you are buying with the idea that value will appreciate, buy the COLT. JMHO. Sincerely. Brucev.

Paul7
02-02-2012, 12:24
If you are buying with the idea that value will appreciate, buy the COLT. JMHO. Sincerely. Brucev.

I think I'll buy gold instead and keep my RIA.

dreis454
02-02-2012, 12:38

Love mine...see the 3rd line in my sig.:whistling:

deadite
02-02-2012, 15:51
I could take a dump in a Colt box and sell it and get money back, doesn't mean its worth it.

Glockdude1
02-02-2012, 16:16

My experience with Colt 1911s has not been good, and I have no plans to buy any in the future. If someone gave me one, I'd take it, but I feel there are better options out there for the money.

:agree:

glock2740
02-02-2012, 19:58
This is base on your statement of DW CCO costing 50% more. Street price on a DW CCO is roughly $1300.
And the DW is more than twice the gun than the Colt. I haven't seen any beat to hell and back used Colt anything's for under $650. It's not that they're worth alot of money, it's just that there are fools out there who don't know any better, that are willing to pay the asking price. I stand by my previous statement. Colt makes a great base gun.

RussP
02-02-2012, 21:39

No. The Elite will have a better trigger out of the box and is better finished. I have also had problems with my loaded and magazines. I had buy Wilson's and CMC for it to feed will any reliability. All three colts I bought had better triggers out of the box than the 2 springfields. One of the SAs was a RO.

That IS quite possible,,.........love my NM prefix Loaded.I bought the SA...it's tight, trigger is good for me. Now, to find time to get to the range...:cool:

brisk21
02-02-2012, 22:55
I dare say Colt actually tarnished the 1911s reputation a bit. They spent several decades resting on their name alone, putting out crap 1911s that weren't built right, and absoluetly wouldn't run without a trip to the gunsmith. Colt always gets praised for their history and legacy. Ive always felt they should be condemned a little for tarnishing the 1911s reputation for 30 or so years. Im glad to see that they actually care about their 1911 product now. I guess almost losing the company will do that, but between that and their stance on gun control though the clinton era, Colt still has alot of ground to make up.

faawrenchbndr
02-03-2012, 03:18
I bought the SA...it's tight, trigger is good for me. Now, to find time to get to the range...:cool:

Congrats on your acqusition! Either would have been a good pick,
I've just had more, first hand luck with Springfield.

bac1023
02-03-2012, 05:42
I bought the SA...it's tight, trigger is good for me. Now, to find time to get to the range...:cool:

Congrats! :cool:

majette
02-04-2012, 15:57
as of today i have both. got the rail gun because i could not bring myself to mod my pro to add a rail. first 20 rounds at 7 yards.

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/3322/coltrail.jpg

group photo of the pro and the rail gun. i call them excalibur and the lightsaber.

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/3557/prorail.jpg

RMTactical
02-04-2012, 16:35

My EMP has been solid.

xx78
02-06-2012, 16:08
as of today i have both. got the rail gun because i could not bring myself to mod my pro to add a rail. first 20 rounds at 7 yards.

Both of your pistols are good lookers. And the Colt looks a great shooter too. How does the SA compare?

G21FAN
02-06-2012, 17:16
The Colts will give less problems than the Gen4 Glocks.

Lets play on that tangent.

:upeyes::upeyes:

brickboy240
02-08-2012, 13:25
The Colt SHOULD cost more than the Springfield.

Why?

Well, the Colts all have MUCH less MIM parts than the Springfields. They are also made here, not in Brazil. No MIM hammers, bushings or slide stops in the Colt pistols. The 800 plus dollar Springer Loaded is loaded with MIM parts.

Throw in their higher resale value and yeah...there is a reason why they cost more. The Series 70 re-makes that I have been looking at have all been very well made guns with good fit and finish. Totally worth the 800 bucks they are asking.

I own 2 Colts, a Springer and a Kimber and the Springer is no where near the quality of the Colts. All of mine are "middle of the road" models..not Colt or Springer's top shelf guns though.

Still...I'd buy another Colt and probably pass on another Springer. Hell, I'd buy another Kimber before I buy one more Springer.

- brickboy240

Feanor
02-08-2012, 22:28

:rofl:You can't even be serious, nope, not even!

Tallahassee
02-09-2012, 00:56
:rofl:You can't even be serious, nope, not even!

Which part do you feel he's wrong about? I've owned both Springfield and Colts and my Springfield Mil Spec has been the better gun.

majette
02-09-2012, 01:53
Both of your pistols are good lookers. And the Colt looks a great shooter too. How does the SA compare?

there is a definite difference in feel. the colt has that ever so slight looseness in the slide to frame fit. none of my sa pistols, mc operator, trp operator, or pro exhibited any looseness even after a couple thousand rounds. i know it does not affect accuracy to have the slight play but it still makes me think if sa can do it why doesn't colt?

the pro is head and shoulders above in fit, finish, and feel. shooting feels like a fine machine where every mechanical action is felt and the pistol returns to the exact same state after each round is fired.

i also like the more aggressive checkering on the pro. the accuracy on both pistols is outstanding, the pro makes it easier to repeatedly put shots in the same spot with little effort.

deadite
02-09-2012, 07:04
Colts are good, solid 1911s with a ton of history, but even my Dan Wesson PM7-45 is head and shoulders better than the Colt in every category. (i.e. fit, finish, accuracy, looks, feel, dehorning, etc.)

deadite

fnfalman
02-09-2012, 22:35
There is only ONE Harley-Davidson. There are many like it. Some are foreign jobs, some are American "custom" jobs costing three times what a typical Harley would cost. However, in the end there is only ONE Harley-Davidson.

Same thing with a Colt. Like it or not, manufacturers come and go, boutique custom shops come and go (anybody remember DL Shockley or King's Gunwork? Of course not), but a Colt will always be desirable.

Tallahassee
02-10-2012, 01:12
There is only ONE Harley-Davidson. There are many like it. Some are foreign jobs, some are American "custom" jobs costing three times what a typical Harley would cost. However, in the end there is only ONE Harley-Davidson.

Same thing with a Colt. Like it or not, manufacturers come and go, boutique custom shops come and go (anybody remember DL Shockley or King's Gunwork? Of course not), but a Colt will always be desirable.

You're not wrong, and that's actually a very good analogy. But desirable doesn't mean the same thing as better.

tinman517
02-10-2012, 20:50
Every 1911 collection should have at least one Colt and one Springfield at some point.

dakota1911
02-13-2012, 16:48
Wrong forum to say maybe better Brazilian steel over Austrian plastic?