Why a handgun when settled in for the night? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Why a handgun when settled in for the night?

malleable
01-29-2012, 18:04
I've read posts about perceived home invasions during the night and being comfortable with XX caliber handgun, as this would be sufficient to get them to there shotgun/rifle. Isn't this reverse logic? Why transition from something inferior to the better fight stopper? I personally am of the sit in a corner quietly and let them come to me camp.

cowboy1964
01-29-2012, 18:06
Not sure I understand the question. Are you asking why not just have a 12 gauge beside the bed?

Coug
01-29-2012, 18:11
My kids would love my 870 to play with in the middle of the night. Until it made the loud noise...

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

michael e
01-29-2012, 18:15
I keep handgun out because I do not want to have to open the gun room and safe every morning. Thats is an extra 3 locks multi times a day. Instead my carry gun for the day , my BUG and the better halfs guns stay with us at night.

malleable
01-29-2012, 18:34
Not sure I understand the question. Are you asking why not just have a 12 gauge beside the bed?

Yes, thank you that would have been clearer on my part. I completely understand the child safety factor but when someone implies they can fight there way with a handgun to a long gun i assume the long gun is unsecured? So, why start with the inferior weapon?

sfguard
01-29-2012, 18:38
My off duty weapon just gets a flashlight put on it and goes to bed on the night stand beside the bed. I really don't think too many are going to want to go too many rounds with the ole 45. I could be wrong but I doubt it.

Would a shotgun be better? Probably for a lot of people. But looking at my house and the way it is set up (narrow doors) I will take the 45 due to maneuverability in here.

I don't tell people what they would be better off with ie shotgun pistol or rifle. I also don't get into caliber wars. I think they are mute points at best and just down right silly internet commando crap. Take what will work best for you with your surroundings, find a caliber your comfy with get some practice and hopefully some training and use it to the best of your ability should the need arise.

If you do those things plus knowing the layout of your home you will have the upper hand on John Q. Scumbag.

diamondd2
01-29-2012, 18:46
I never understood this either. Shotgun/rifle seems much more logical to me. I have a dozen handguns but do not keep any loaded around the house. I keep the Remington 870 loaded but not chambered mounted on the wall in the bedroom high enough for me or my wife to reach but not the children to reach. I figure by the time they are able to reach the thing they will know how to use it.

Cole125
01-29-2012, 18:47
A rifle or shotgun is a better fight stopper, everyone knows that. A pistol is simply easier to secure and keep handy than a long gun. My grab and go gun in the middle of the night is a G19 with 17 round mag and a Streamlight 2 light/laser. If I know I am going to be in a gun fight I'll hopefully have time to open the safe and get one of my ARs out.

powder86
01-29-2012, 18:51
i have my shotgun, m4, and g30 next to my bed. the scenario plays out with me using my g30 to get to my daughter. the free hand allows me to pick her up, use a light switch, turn a door knob etc... once i have my daughter, it's back to my room, where we entrench. me with the shotgun aimed at the door. my wife with the m4 as back up while she's on the phone dialing 911.
i start with the handgun, as it allows me a free hand to get to my daughter.

owl6roll
01-29-2012, 18:59
IF, I saw and had time to react, I'd go with my rifle, but for something going down and God willing, the first thing I will get my hand(s) on, would be a pistol.

ColdSteelNail
01-29-2012, 19:00
i have my shotgun, m4, and g30 next to my bed. the scenario plays out with me using my g30 to get to my daughter. the free hand allows me to pick her up, use a light switch, turn a door knob etc... once i have my daughter, it's back to my room, where we entrench. me with the shotgun aimed at the door. my wife with the m4 as back up while she's on the phone dialing 911.
It's really good to have a plan. I know where my wife's going to be and she knows where I'm going to be if something goes bump in the night.

TN.Frank
01-29-2012, 19:24
It's kind of hard to stick a shotgun under your pillow,LOL.
Besides, I've only got my 642 so it's my "go to" because I have no other choice right now.

malleable
01-29-2012, 19:28

This was so obvious that I didn't see it. I was looking thru the eyes of a single man!

themighty9mm
01-29-2012, 19:30
For the exact same reason people want the smallest guns for carry. They are by no means superior to a full sized. However much more convenient. Mush easier to set a pistol in the night stand than go to a locked safe. Also for checking out the late night bumps more convenient to grab something one handed (handgun) than grab something that to properly use needs 2 hands. Just simply convenience for the most part.

JackMac
01-29-2012, 20:02
laser sight, works best at night. Real quick sight acquisition. I prefer Glock 19 with crimson trace, but whatever you shoot comfortably and accurately should be what you use as it will be a high stress circumstance. Plan, plan and plan some more, then practice the senarios with a unloaded hand gun. Practice makes perfect. Train and then train somemore. There are lots of good DVDs on the subject. Be prepared then hope and pray you never have to shoot someone.

Teecher45
01-29-2012, 20:29
The exact and only reason I have a G21 with a TLR 1. I have 3 boys and one is an infant. The extra hand could be needed. The Colt 6920 has a red dot and a white light on it but is very hard to manuver through the house, it is mainly for outside, we live on a farm. Once the boys, wife, and I are together in our bedroom and 911 has been called we will hunker-down between the bed and the outside wall with the 6920 and 870. Once my family is with me anyone else in the house is welcome to anything else in the house.

ReyFufuRulesAll
01-29-2012, 20:36
.357 in my underwear drawer. If 12 rounds of that doesn't stop them, I'm ****ed anyway.

RowdyatHeart
01-29-2012, 22:00
Remington 870 Youth 3" 20 gauge with 21" barrel for home defense. Before you laugh at me, go handle one and then shoot one. They are easy to handle. I found out about them when teaching my kids how to shoot a shotgun. Can't beat them. A handgun safely secured in various locations works nicely but my purpose for a handgun is to empower me to get to my long gun. A 20 gauge at close ranges is safe as far as over penetration but deadly.

matt_lowry123
01-29-2012, 22:37
I keep a usp 45 in the bed side table. I hope I can fight my way to the gun safe in the garage and get into my cannon safe in time to fight the rest of the battle with my 870.

LASTRESORT20
01-29-2012, 22:43
G19......870 close.

ronin.45
01-29-2012, 23:20
I see no reason to have a long gun for home defense. Unless you live in some kind of converted industrial building you will always be in pretty close quarters, a handgun is more than sufficient. A reliable, capacious handgun in a good "combat" caliber(preferably with a TLR-2) would let me sleep perfectly well.

I'm not denigrating anyone who chooses to keep a long gun handy. I'm just answering why I don't.

TalkToTheGlock
01-30-2012, 00:12
Ak47 with a 30 round mag plus an extra one on the nightstand. Plus I have my CCW USP9c there also.

iPhone 4

ReyFufuRulesAll
01-30-2012, 00:13
I see no reason to have a long gun for home defense. Unless you live in some kind of converted industrial building you will always be in pretty close quarters, a handgun is more than sufficient. A reliable, capacious handgun in a good "combat" caliber(preferably with a TLR-2) would let me sleep perfectly well.

I'm not denigrating anyone who chooses to keep a long gun handy. I'm just answering why I don't.

That, and a handgun sure is a hell of a lot more manuverable than an SKS.

AustinTx
01-30-2012, 00:20
My kids would love my 870 to play with in the middle of the night. Until it made the loud noise...

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

Where does this "sent from" dilly-bob thing? get added in? What is it and why should I care what it was sent from?, please, I'm Tapatalk deficient, I reckon. Sorry to get so off topic, just something I'm seeing more of, all the time. Sometime that's longer than the post. It could get completely out of hand.

rfenster
01-30-2012, 00:35
Where does this "sent from" dilly-bob thing? get added in? What is it and why should I care what it was sent from?, please, I'm Tapatalk deficient, I reckon. Sorry to get so off topic, just something I'm seeing more of, all the time. Sometime that's longer than the post. It could get completely out of hand.

Austin-

Don't worry about it, some folks just don't know how to turn off their Tapatalk autosig. I'm probably one of them. Just focus on the content of their posts and not their sigs.

Relayed via Tapatalk repeater in Vail, CO for IP traffic originating from the lower highlands on the moon

AustinTx
01-30-2012, 00:41
Thanks rfenster, I sorta figgered it got added, automatically.

John Biltz
01-30-2012, 00:55
My shotgun is already where I am retreating to. A walk in closet about 3 feet from my bed. My Glock is by my bed. If someone is banging on my door or I hear a noise that needs to be investigated but is not an obvious intruder I'm taking the Glock. Different tools for different jobs both are useful for home defense.

Javelin
01-30-2012, 00:58
Time on target inside a building will be faster with a pistol than a rifle or shotgun. Just the way it is.

Lior
01-30-2012, 01:17
Somebody should design a 12 gauge with a built in phone so that you can dial 911 and talk to dispatch without taking your hands off the pump/ furniture.

Much of the allure of pistols for home defense, as embodied by DC vs. Heller, revolved around the ability to hold a phone in one hand and a gun in the other.

hardbargin
01-30-2012, 04:42
i got my glock 36 w/2 extra magazines & a ak74 30 rounds:supergrin:

bac1023
01-30-2012, 05:07
A handgun is much easier to keep in a safe yet accessible place, especially if you have kids in the house.

OctoberRust
01-30-2012, 06:43
I'll take a handgun with a spare mag anyday over a shotgun for HD. I have a 18.5 inch mossberg 500 that sits in the closet. My glock 23/19 + spare mag of whatever stays on my nightstand. If I have to move around the house I'd much prefer a handgun over a shotgun. If I'm hunkered down, 13+1 + 13 extra .40 180 grain HST doens't make me feel undergunned at all. Especially since I know the layout of my home better than them, and know where every creek/sound would be coming from in my home.

collim1
01-30-2012, 06:54
I keep both nearby. I have a shotgun loaded with #4 buck near the bed, and a P220 with weaponlight attached and 4 spare mags on the nightstand.

If I know its gametime I go for the shotgun. Dogs barking or a bump in the night I take the handgun to investigate.

Hipneckonwheels
01-30-2012, 07:10
I never understood this either. Shotgun/rifle seems much more logical to me. I have a dozen handguns but do not keep any loaded around the house. I keep the Remington 870 loaded but not chambered mounted on the wall in the bedroom high enough for me or my wife to reach but not the children to reach. I figure by the time they are able to reach the thing they will know how to use it.
What if they learn to use a chair to reach it before they actually know how to use it? Not knocking your answer (my shotgun is in the same place), but I don't have kids and I wonder about this?

Orive 8
01-30-2012, 07:19
"Are you asking why not just have a 12 gauge (or AR for that matter - my addition) beside the bed?"

I no longer shoot longguns. My wife and I strictly train and practice with our handguns these days. We have our 24/7/365 handgun with us. It goes on from sunup to sundown, then it goes next to the bed.

Makes it easy.

Yes, I know that an AR would be a better choice as a fight stopper, but since we don't practice/train with one any more; I see no need to keep one for my home defense weapon.

itslucky
01-30-2012, 07:40
sig 226 standing by :wavey:

Bilbo Bagins
01-30-2012, 07:58
A handgun is more versatile. I can have a handgun in one hand and have a phone and call 911 with the other, or hold a flashlight, or turn on/off a light switch, lock a door, etc.

With kids, I can't camp out in my bedroom and wait for a bad guy to come to me. I got to investigate, and get to a spot where I can cut off intruders in my house from getting my wife and kids. Also its just easier for me to have a loaded handgun close to my bed safely inside a lockbox. A loaded shotgun next to by bed, would be either in some difficult to open contraption, left unloaded because of the kids, or left unlocked and loaded which would be a dangerous liability.

For me, in that situation, a handgun is better and a shotgun would be awkward.

KarlThomas
01-30-2012, 08:15

Pretty much sums it up for me. I need bigger pillows.

scccdoc
01-30-2012, 08:32
Nothing will deter an intruder faster than the "Cha-Chink" of an 870.No shots necessary in many cases,only the sound of fleeing footsteps !!!!!!!!! DOC

byf43
01-30-2012, 08:37

Frank pretty much nailed it.

G21 in the nightstand, an extra magazine (w/Federal 230 gr HST), and a superbright LED flashlight beside it.

Remington 870 Wingmaster Police stoked w/ Federal 00B stashed, nearby.

malleable
01-30-2012, 10:02
Nothing will deter an intruder faster than the "Cha-Chink" of an 870.No shots necessary in many cases,only the sound of fleeing footsteps !!!!!!!!! DOC

I don't think that's a good idea as your giving away your position?

scccdoc
01-30-2012, 10:20
I don't think that's a good idea as your giving away your position?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I don't need night sights with an 870....................But I keep a 40 strapped to my bedpost.It depends on the circumstance,but if I have time,studies show without a doubt,a shotgun is far more effective as a "one shot stop" weapon..........DOC

sulaco
01-30-2012, 10:58
A rifle or shotgun is a better fight stopper, everyone knows that. A pistol is simply easier to secure and keep handy than a long gun. My grab and go gun in the middle of the night is a G19 with 17 round mag and a Streamlight 2 light/laser. If I know I am going to be in a gun fight I'll hopefully have time to open the safe and get one of my ARs out.

This.

I feel like the shotgun (given my home defense scenario) would be nothing more than an intermediary weapon. If things get out of hand quickly for me, I am ditching the empty pistol and going for a rifle.

Bodyarmorguy
01-30-2012, 11:31
Well, I have been often criticized in other threads when the subject of pocket guns vs. full size guns come up and I offer my opine that people carry pocket pistols as a matter of convenience vs. commitment to safety. Applying that same logic here, based on a lot of what I have read in this thread, the same may be true. Someone's EDC pistol becomes their night stand gun because they remove it from their hip and set it on the nightstand. The ext day, nightstand to holster. No trip to the safe to ready the gun for the night, no trip to the safe in the morning to secure it from potential intruders while the house is empty.

Having said that, I guess I am just as guilty. A rifle does occasionally find itself serving the role of HD gun gun, though not so much as a matter of convenience (though partially I am sure) as it is practicality. Both myself and the girlfriend are in law enforcement, both on 12 hour night shifts and on opposite rotations as far as days off go (ughh). We also have a 15 year old in the house. Our comings and goings and times that the house is occupied by the 15 year old only or not occupied at all is very staggered. So, for the time being, pistols serve as the HD gun.

WarEagle32
01-30-2012, 19:05
I have an AK 47 hid behind the curtain right beside my bed. I also have my Sig 229 9mm within arms reach. Also, a Mossberg 590 under the bed on my side. I need a gun safe!

Novocaine
02-01-2012, 21:41
You're not going to use the handgun to fight your way to the rifle. You'll finish the fight with whatever you started it with.

Nightstand pistol is for when you wake up as intruder walks into your bedroom. My nightstand is occupied by G34 (NS and M3) loaded with standard pressure HSTs. Low recoil, low flash, decent punch. Chances are shooting will happen off balance, one-handed and in low light.

I fashioned a small shoulder pouch/holster with paracord for strap. Inside are flashlight, cell phone, Ka-Bar TDI and permanent marker. Spare mag (+P+) in its own separate compartment. The contraption itself can be used as a pressure bandage/ tourniquet/ sling/ weapon. Or to immobilize BG if he/she is knocked out.

It sits next to the gun, if Iíll have time to grab it Iíll grab it.
If Iíll have time to get to the rifle, Iíll grab the rifle and pistol will go into the shoulder pouch thingie (yes, it can be holstered with either hand).
The way I see it the first order of business is to get armed right there and then but the plan should allow for you to get progressively better equipped while being ready to engage at any point.

BTW, low light is exactly when laser use should be avoided. IMHO.

Apetrulis01
02-01-2012, 22:05
My house is not long enough for the use of a shotgun or rifle. Handgun is easier to clear rooms with and grab my daughter if need be. I have seen the 180 grain speer gold dot stop fights on more then one incident.

Now, if i decide to get make tax stamp and get a 10.5" AR I might change to that. Easier to clear corners and shoot one handed if need be. But being restricted to a 16" rifle ro 18" shotgun does not make it easy to move through the house.

Adam

USDefender
02-01-2012, 22:42
IMO, if you live in the country, any firearm works for HD. I might even advise that person to use a long gun if it works better for them...

That said, in a neighborhood, and especially in an apartment complex --where large amounts of people tend to live in very close proximity to one another-- I believe it's seriously reckless to use a rifle, if for no other reason than 'over penetration.'

While a pistol isn't immune from this problem, a rifle would definitely be worse.

John Biltz
02-02-2012, 03:25
I see some myths popping up. If you are worried about over penetration through wall board then 5.56 is a better choice than a pistol, counter intuitive but true. Shotguns and rifles are really good at stopping people, handguns not so much. Handguns are good for only needing one hand and concealment. SWAT teams don't drop their long guns and transition to pistols when they go in to clear a house.

One other thing, ARs and most shotguns including 870s and Mossbergs do not have positive safeties. They can go off when dropped. Personally, from a safety stand point I don't think they are a good bet to leave chambered.