What do you recommend regarding pistols against animals? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What do you recommend regarding pistols against animals?

CDR_Glock
01-29-2012, 22:08
Mas

Spring is around the corner. I gotta get ready for hiking. I don't know if there are bears or bobcats, but I'd like to know what is the best gun to carry to protect against them.

For longer barrels, I have a Glock 30/23, S&W 627 4", Colt Python 4" and Ruger GP100 6". I only carry 357 125 grains in my 357.

Which of my guns is the best to carry and what is your recommended ammo?

Rick

iPad/Tapatalk

Mas Ayoob
01-30-2012, 16:39
A large, aggressive quadruped is a totally different target than an erect biped. Deep penetration becomes more of an imperative. In the .357s, I'd sight in with a heavy 158 or even 180 grain softnose.

In your .40 and .45, the only JHP I'd consider would be the deep-penetrating Hornady XTP, in 180 and 230 grain respectively. If Hornady is still offering their 230 grain jacketed truncated cone FMJ .45 ACP, that would certainly be worth considering in the G30.

I know: very much opposite the idea for an anti-personnel round, but "different tools for different tasks" and all that.

Between the two platforms, I'd be inclined toward the revolvers. Bear and cougar attacks are rare, but when they do occur they often happen so fast the animal is on top of the victim before the victim can get the gun out. This greatly increases the likelihood of needing a muzzle contact shot. Press-contact with most autos, including the Glock, can force the gun out of battery and prevent it from firing at all. Not so with the revolver. Press contact also directs the muzzle blast into the animal's body, magnifying the wound.

best,
Mas

CDR_Glock
01-30-2012, 18:37
A large, aggressive quadruped is a totally different target than an erect biped. Deep penetration becomes more of an imperative. In the .357s, I'd sight in with a heavy 158 or even 180 grain softnose.

In your .40 and .45, the only JHP I'd consider would be the deep-penetrating Hornady XTP, in 180 and 230 grain respectively. If Hornady is still offering their 230 grain jacketed truncated cone FMJ .45 ACP, that would certainly be worth considering in the G30.

I know: very much opposite the idea for an anti-personnel round, but "different tools for different tasks" and all that.

Between the two platforms, I'd be inclined toward the revolvers. Bear and cougar attacks are rare, but when they do occur they often happen so fast the animal is on top of the victim before the victim can get the gun out. This greatly increases the likelihood of needing a muzzle contact shot. Press-contact with most autos, including the Glock, can force the gun out of battery and prevent it from firing at all. Not so with the revolver. Press contact also directs the muzzle blast into the animal's body, magnifying the wound.

best,
Mas

Great advice. Does it matter which length 357 barrel? 6" or 4"?