So my anti-gun family... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : So my anti-gun family...

ChicagoRSX
01-30-2012, 00:50
Well, I was raised in a very protective family. My mother HATED guns. I couldn't even have a nerf gun till I got one for a birthday president from a friend in like the 5th grade. So when I made the decision to go into law enforcement, my mom wasn't happy their would a gun in the house, but she made her peace with it and respect that I was properly trained in how to use it/store it/keep it out reach of those who shouldn't handle it, which wouldn't be anyone as I am the youngest of 2 and my older sister wanted not to be near my G17.
Well tonight at dinner, my grandma said she would love to get a small gun that she could use comfortably herself as a gift(with the old wink,wink in my direction. So I told her I would happily take her shooting as I'm renting out some lanes on a range near me for my wife's birthday. She responded "That's not till November! I was hoping for a lot sooner then that! lol So looks like I'll be taking my grandma to the range in the next month or so and I know what I'll be getting her for her birthday or Christmas! lol God I love my grandma.:supergrin:

NEOH212
01-30-2012, 00:59
:thumbsup:

Glock40man
01-30-2012, 01:09
Very cool!

astroboy
01-30-2012, 06:13
One less anti-gun in your family, sweet!

Bucky89
01-30-2012, 09:24
http://thedamienzone.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/old-lady-guns.jpg

BailRecoveryAgent
01-30-2012, 15:56
She responded "That's not till November! I was hoping for a lot sooner then that! lol So looks like I'll be taking my grandma to the range in the next month or so and I know what I'll be getting her for her birthday or Christmas! lol God I love my grandma.:supergrin:

Don't wait till Christmas, get grandma a gun now.

Just1More
01-30-2012, 15:59
What the heck is a birthday president?

MarcDW
01-30-2012, 16:29
Only on my wife side I had a Granny.
Actually my wife lived with her when we dated (for the short time of 3 month).
So about the 2nd time I visit her there, Granny showed me her S&W .32 S&W.
I asked her looking at the ammo when did she got this ammo.
"Some time after the war" was her answer. She mend WW 1! :whistling:
Took me about 3 gun shops before I found that caliber.
After she passed my father in law shoot that revolver with one of these rounds and he said it dropped about 3 yards in front of him on the ground.

JackMac
01-30-2012, 16:37
get her a gun. let her try several to see what she is comfortable with. A J frame S&W and let her practice with wad cutters. My late Mother had a Model 36 S&W as she lived alone and was proficient with it. Tough lady. Cancer took her from me.

JLA
01-30-2012, 19:06

:rofl::rofl: Priceless!

hogship
01-30-2012, 19:15

THAT......is one of the funniest things I've read in awhile! :rofl:

hogship
01-30-2012, 19:21
My dear old Mother, now 91 years old, isn't really anti-gun.......but, as long as my Dad was alive (he was always a gun owner), she felt safe, protected, and refused to even think about self protection, or owning a gun for herself.

This changed, and she asked me to provide her with a gun when Dad passed away. Isn't it "telling" how she suddenly felt the need to be a gun-owner when her husband was no longer there to protect her?

ooc

CDR_Glock
01-30-2012, 19:58
My in-laws are anti-gun. For the time I have been married to their daughter, they always thought about how dangerous gun ownership is. I would always tell them how accidental injuries occurred when people were intoxicated but also people who were not well versed or trained in basic safety and handling a weapon. I told them how dangerous society is becoming and the harder economic times lead to more desperation. It's more of a danger not to have a firearm, but training and knowing the laws and regulations were very important, as well as being aware of the surroundings, not paranoid.

Traveling home, I would bring my guns to their house and ask if it were ok. My father in law, allowed me to do so. I would take my brother in law out shooting. He, in turn, bought a gun. It was a GP100. My brother in law, took a safety class before buying a gun. Then took the gun home in a locked safe. Getting comfortable with dry firing, and understanding how the gun worked. His wife, also learned to shoot it. Now he has a concealed carry license in Utah. Utah is one of those states where two actions are required if one is to open carry (revolver with the next chamber empty or a Semiauto with an empty chamber). It's not exactly the best way to arm oneself. So he acquired the license to carry concealed.

This past Christmas, I took home an AR-15, Colt Python. Ruger LCR and I bought a 12 gauge when I went down to visit. I asked my father in law if he wanted to come. He said, Sure. I was cleaning my guns that night before and my wife and mother in law came into the room where I was cleaning. My mother in law was so intrigued by the AR-15. She wanted to hold it, and I explained the general precautions. Before I handed the empty rifle. She posed for a picture, laughed and went back inside.

My father in law, on the way to the range, was getting anxious. He worried someone would should us there. I explained that indoor shooting, in general, is a family thing, especially in the South. The demographics are much like your typical bowling alley but since ammo is expensive, more people who have a little bit more disposable income go to shoot.

We pull into the parking lot, and he sees a dad and his 12-13 year old walking towards the door. He said, You Don't Need a License to shoot? I replied, not unless you are purchasing and the minor has to be 110% supervised. On the drive, I talked about the basic safety precautions over and over and over again.

We walked in. There were young teens, younger women, families and a couple of groups of people. He was in amazement. I'm sure he was thinking, No Thugs?

I left him shoot my Colt Python in Single action and watched him closely. He was a pretty good shot. He also used the AR-15. He commented how he was happy that I took him out there and that he'd come again. But next time he would like to shoot what was in the next lane. I think it was a 22 LR rifle. I said, No problem.

I told him, it would be a great hobby for him. He can't play golf anymore because of arthritis. He said, maybe he'd get a 22 some day.

I figure, if you can't "beat them, have them join you.".

That was a very good time for all of is that weekend.

I further, on the way home, explained how I don't drink if I'm carrying, and how I have lived to a higher standard. A gun is not there to settle disputes. It's there to stop a deadly threat to you or your loved ones. Being called a name or even getting a punch doesn't mean I'd draw the weapon. I explained that there was a lot more to concealed carry than just owning a gun and having a license. It's a lifelong study in the law and human behavior.

RowdyatHeart
01-30-2012, 22:21
Dad was always anti-handgun but we deer hunted and duck hunted. My father was a land man of sorts and spent a lot of time cruising tracts of timber. Often he would come up on marijuana plots. A state police officer from his home town almost insisted he start arming himself when out in the woods. Dad became a handgun man in his later years after a couple of incidents.

On mom's side, some of my family went through or evaded the Holocaust. Gun ownership wasn't even a question it was assumed. I grew up from an early age understanding the paramount and absolute importance of being able to defend yourself with a firearm.

On my wife's side, firearms ownership is like putting socks and underwear on in the morning.

Armedleprechaun
01-31-2012, 01:29
Awesome!

gadgetnut259
01-31-2012, 17:54
That's great! Go Grandma! :supergrin:

travis34769
01-31-2012, 18:44
Well, I was raised in a very protective family. My mother HATED guns. I couldn't even have a nerf gun till I got one for a birthday president from a friend in like the 5th grade. So when I made the decision to go into law enforcement, my mom wasn't happy their would a gun in the house, but she made her peace with it and respect that I was properly trained in how to use it/store it/keep it out reach of those who shouldn't handle it, which wouldn't be anyone as I am the youngest of 2 and my older sister wanted not to be near my G17.
Well tonight at dinner, my grandma said she would love to get a small gun that she could use comfortably herself as a gift(with the old wink,wink in my direction. So I told her I would happily take her shooting as I'm renting out some lanes on a range near me for my wife's birthday. She responded "That's not till November! I was hoping for a lot sooner then that! lol So looks like I'll be taking my grandma to the range in the next month or so and I know what I'll be getting her for her birthday or Christmas! lol God I love my grandma.:supergrin:

See I could never get my grandma to own a gun. She must have been old school cause she just kept a bat near her bed and a bat in the trunk....

G30Mike
01-31-2012, 19:02
Don't wait till Christmas, get grandma a gun now.

This.