Guns, defending yourself, and NJ? Any ideas? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Guns, defending yourself, and NJ? Any ideas?

alfred10
01-30-2012, 08:44
One of my girlfriends lives in Jersey. Can I take one of my guns unloaded in the trunk and trasnport it to her house when I stay there? 10 round mag limit?

How about rifles shotguns? Can I transport one of these? Thinking about a maverick 88 or coach gun. Trying to get her to get used to a Glock 19. Want to have what I can without hitting a grey area of the law.

RowdyatHeart
01-30-2012, 11:22
I work for a company in New Jersey but live out in another state and work in states besides NJ. You need to talk to an attorney. You do not need to get internet advice. Personally, there is no way I would bring a firearm to New Jersey but that is just me.

acg8276
01-30-2012, 11:34
Personally, there is no way I would bring a firearm to New Jersey but that is just me.

Absolutely agree w/ Rowdy. Even if you finds laws you "think" might allow you to do what your asking IMHO you are asking for trouble.
Unless you have time to spend in a cell and deep enough pockets to fight whatever may come your way.

And no I'm not suggesting you give up any rights. If you get stopped you'll be at the mercy of the legal opinion of the LEO that nabs you. Correctly or not you could be in for some long days. I live in a neighboring state and have friends in NJ. I've never heard a positive firearm related situation with a LEO and John Q Public from another state.

Glockdude1
01-30-2012, 12:06
How many girlfriends do you have Alfred???

Are you her Teddy- Bear Alfred?????

:supergrin:

dp2002813
01-30-2012, 12:50
How many girlfriends do you have Alfred???

:supergrin:

:rofl: I had the same thought.

Honestly, the answer is no. If you are going to target shoot in competition or informally, you MIGHT be ok. I say might because it will depend on the LEO should you be found with it. If your only reason is to bring it along and your caught/had to defend yourself... your boned. When it comes to firearms, all the laws seem grey in NJ.

The law states in NJ that all firearms are illegal to possess. There are exceptions to that rule, but, IMO, only for residents and those transporting through the state without stopping in the state. If you are going to Camden, Trenton or Newark, I feel for ya.

travDMH
01-30-2012, 13:12
I live in NJ. I would just rent the G19 at a local range.

AlexHassin
01-30-2012, 13:26
may i suggest a baseball bat, a ball and a glove

NJ1911
01-30-2012, 16:13
Do not do it. Period. Without an FID card and a handgun permit you would be in deep doo doo should anyone find out. Oh, and the mag limit is 15 rounds here.

jerzeydevil77
01-30-2012, 16:22
Do not do it. Period. Without an FID card and a handgun permit you would be in deep doo doo should anyone find out. Oh, and the mag limit is 15 rounds here.

This^^^^^ NJ is no joke. There was a guy flying with a checked gun out of NJ. His flight was delayed over night. He picked up his gun and stayed in a nearby hotel. The next day when he tried to check his gun, he was arrested and spent 18 months in jail. Not worth the bull****, just have your girl come visit you, where the gun laws are normal.

m2hmghb
01-30-2012, 16:28

You do not need a handgun permit to possess a pistol, just to purchase one. The FID card is recommended if you come into NJ, even those coming to participate in matches.

MyNewGlock23
01-30-2012, 16:34
www.evannappen.com - contact Mr. Nappen, he's "NJ's Gun Lawyer"...he'll be able to break it down...