Chiappa Rhino. Is it going to be a good gun? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Chiappa Rhino. Is it going to be a good gun?

nsl
01-30-2012, 09:28
I've looked at the new 4" model and thought it would be neat, but at $700-$800, I afraid its too expensive. I just wonder about its durability. I mean, 20 years from now and it breaks, would you be able to get it fixed like you can a S&W or Ruger?

Bilbo Bagins
01-30-2012, 09:45
I would not try to fix it like you would a Ruger SP101.

The Chiappa Rhino's internals are unlike other revolvers and has been compared to the workings of a fine watch. Meaning its complicated with lots of moving parts.

Its a neat new revolver but I really don't know what the relability will be in 20 years, or if the company will still be around.

http://www.shootingillustrated.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/rhino_new-354x200.jpg

KarlThomas
01-30-2012, 10:38
I'd be interested if it were $500.

bac1023
01-30-2012, 14:17
They definitely seem a bit expensive for what you get. I've handled a couple.

Bilbo Bagins
01-31-2012, 06:45

+1
I would take the plunge if it was priced like other revolvers. Someone on GT has one, supposedly the recoil is dampened becuase of the lower bore. Less flip and more of a push. I handle a 2" model and compared it to a 2" Ruger SP101. While it is more blocky the Rhino is about the same size and weight as the SP101. Not bad for a 6 round .357, and it would make a great woods gun...just not for $750.

TN.Frank
01-31-2012, 07:29
Looks like an interesting idea, I just don't know if people are ready to accept something that looks to different.
As far as price goes, I've finding out that revolvers are selling for a lot more then I think they should so $700 is on par with what a new S&W would run if not a bit less actually.
Personally, I love revolvers but can't see spending more then $400 for any of em' even if I did buy a new S&W 686+, 2.5" back in the late '90's for $450, that was new, used I'd not go over $400 even in todays market and probably a lot less for a K or L Frame.

md2lgyk
01-31-2012, 09:52
I don't care how good the thing is, I'll never own one. It's UGLY.

J_Rico
01-31-2012, 12:54
I have not even handled one and only read about them, but I would wait.

Recently it was reviewed in one of the gun rags. The reviewer had one lock up and he had to send it back. In my experience, the gun rags bend over backwards trying to avoid printing anything negative about a potential advertiser. If they actually print something negative about a firearm, I listen.

This is just the opinion of some stranger on the web, good luck whatever you decide. :wavey:

fastbolt
01-31-2012, 13:14
Haven't handled or fired one. Not going to go out of my way to try and do so, either.

The design makes it appear as though it contains enough moving parts in order for it to qualify as an honorary Cuckoo clock.

Doesn't interest me.

I'm not a collector of curios and interesting mechanical widgets, though.

To bad it wasn't around when Firefly was in production. Probably make for an interesting base upon which to make SciFi & Steampunk prop guns.

cal45
01-31-2012, 13:43
Well, I like mine. Not sure about 20 years down the road as I usually do not think that far ahead on gun purchases. I agree that it is expensive and has an odd (some folks say fugly) look to it, and there are a slew of lower cost revolvers out there from two main stay companies. But, it is very well made and fires full 357 magnum rounds in a very mild manner when compared to similar sized "normal" revolvers. Not for everyone but I like it and have been using mine as my CCW.

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/1944/rhinomine2.jpg

racer88
01-31-2012, 19:13
Its a neat new revolver but I really don't know what the relability will be in 20 years, or if the company will still be around.

I've got one. Reviewed it here on GT (http://glocktalk.com/forums/www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1390017&). Long-term reliability for this unusual revolver with more complex mechanics remains to be seen, of course. But, I did chuckle at the comment about it being complicated like a fine watch or an honorary cuckoo clock. Don't 1911's break down into 30 components JUST to field-strip it? I don't own a 1911, but I seem to recall that (I may be wrong). But, I do understand that conventional revolvers are very simple, and that's considered a plus.

As for whether Chiappa will be around in 20 years... you might consider they've been around for 54 years at this point in time.

Zagato
01-31-2012, 19:21
1911s are about the simplest autos out there.

The rhino looks intriguing. Id like to shoot one.

Midwest Doc
01-31-2012, 19:22
Well, I like mine. Not sure about 20 years down the road as I usually do not think that far ahead on gun purchases. I agree that it is expensive and has an odd (some folks say fugly) look to it, and there are a slew of lower cost revolvers out there from two main stay companies. But, it is very well made and fires full 357 magnum rounds in a very mild manner when compared to similar sized "normal" revolvers. Not for everyone but I like it and have been using mine as my CCW.

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/1944/rhinomine2.jpg
I just ordered one. I like the looks, and the physics make sense.

cal45
02-01-2012, 03:30
Size compaison chart to a S&W 640, which if I order a 640 Pro today from my local shop, the price point will be in the same range as my Rhino.

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/9549/chiapparhino20dsvsswmod.jpg

NEOH212
02-01-2012, 03:49
Well, it looks cool anyhow. I wonder how it handles.

Nakanokalronin
02-01-2012, 03:58
Don't 1911's break down into 30 components JUST to field-strip it?Eight parts if you don't include the magazine.

Barrel
Bushing
guide rod
recoil spring
recoil spring plug
slide stop
slide assy.
frame assy.

Bren
02-01-2012, 04:13
I don't care how good the thing is, I'll never own one. It's UGLY.

Seems like a lot of the people who post on GT buy guns to look at, more than to shoot.:upeyes:

RYT 2BER
02-01-2012, 04:29

I think I agree... I'd want it in one of the longer barrel variants and in stainless that gets up to somewhere in the $800-$900 arena.. just too much for that....

racer88
02-01-2012, 04:53
Well, it looks cool anyhow. I wonder how it handles.

It handles AMAZINGLY well. The physics of a lower bore axis (shooting out of the bottom of the cylinder) has a tremendous effect. On the second page of my review (http://glocktalk.com/forums/glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1390017&page=2&), you can read about it.

Psychman
02-01-2012, 05:44
Seems like a lot of the people who post on GT buy guns to look at, more than to shoot.:upeyes:

And then again a lot of people here buy guns to shoot, but would rather shoot a nice looking gun than a butt ugly gun. :upeyes:

racer88
02-01-2012, 06:38
And then again a lot of people here buy guns to shoot, but would rather shoot a nice looking gun than a butt ugly gun. :upeyes:

It's funny to hear folks disparage "ugly" guns on a GLOCK forum. :rofl:

'cuz Glocks are so beautiful! :whistling:

Some of us find beauty in functionality and intentional design.

itstime
02-01-2012, 07:13
Ive put that gun on my list an took it off. I'm going to stick to my Smiths and Rugers. Keep it traditional.

And yes price has to do a lot with it. I can get a really nice revolver for the price of one of those.

And the fact they may not be around in 10 or so years. Or they don't import them or parts for them.

racer88
02-01-2012, 08:00
Ive put that gun on my list an took it off. I'm going to stick to my Smiths and Rugers. Keep it traditional.

And yes price has to do a lot with it. I can get a really nice revolver for the price of one of those.

And the fact they may not be around in 10 or so years. Or they don't import them or parts for them.

I certainly understand making the decision to choose a stalwart like Ruger or S&W over a relative unknown (to most Americans). But, to claim that it's a "FACT" that Chiappa "may not be around in 10 years" is very odd. As I mentioned earlier, Chiappa has been making Firearms in Italy for 54 years. Fifty-four! That's hardly a "fledgling" or start-up company.

Of course a 54-year company history doesn't mean the Rhino (a rather innovative design) will be a long-term success. Only (additional) time will prove out the Rhino's design. In the meantime, I feel perfectly fine with having spent the money on a very interesting gun. My kids didn't miss any meals because of it. :supergrin: If it turns out to be a POS in the long run, I'm out several hundred dollars. I've lost FAR more than that on far dumber things. :whistling:

Midwest Doc
02-01-2012, 08:09
I certainly understand making the decision to choose a stalwart like Ruger or S&W over a relative unknown (to most Americans). But, to claim that it's a "FACT" that Chiappa "may not be around in 10 years" is very odd. As I mentioned earlier, Chiappa has been making Firearms in Italy for 54 years. Fifty-four! That's hardly a "fledgling" or start-up company.

Of course a 54-year company history doesn't mean the Rhino (a rather innovative design) will be a long-term success. Only (additional) time will prove out the Rhino's design. In the meantime, I feel perfectly fine with having spent the money on a very interesting gun. My kids didn't miss any meals because of it. :supergrin: If it turns out to be a POS in the long run, I'm out several hundred dollars. I've lost FAR more than than on far dumber things. :whistling:
Well said!

racer88
02-01-2012, 08:44
Well said!

Thanks. :wavey:

I'll add that if this was to be someone's ONLY handgun, it might be premature to choose it over the other standards which have proven dependable.

In my case, it's just another in my small "collection." While I would be comfortable EDCing it, I'm sticking with my G27 for EDC.

I got the Rhino... actually my wife got it for me.... just because I thought it was interesting and wanted it.

But, if I could only choose one gun, then certainly I agree that there are many other choices that are proven reliable and more affordable. Fortunately, I'm not limited to one. :supergrin:

ctfireman
02-01-2012, 11:34
If i stumble upon a used one for $500-$550 it will be coming home.