Survival Garden [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Survival Garden

Flattop67
01-30-2012, 11:18
The guy who made this is from my town, I don't know him, but I think this a great idea. Of course, I can't afford one, but it's pretty neat. His website leaves much to be desired. He has the real thing displayed on an empty lot right up the street. What do you guys think?
http://survivalgardenhome.blogspot.com/

Bolster
01-30-2012, 11:32
Well, the idea's massive overkill for a garden, but some of the points are good ones.

I'd say putting in a drip system with timed, location-specific watering in our garden has greatly reduced weeding, reduced killing plants due to forgetting to water, and reduced amount of water needed. The tradeoff is all the time it takes to build a drip system in the first place.

RWBlue
01-31-2012, 08:48
I am still looking for someone who is self sufficient when it comes to their garden. This is not it.

Lets talk about the issues with this little building.
Size, it is little. I don't think it could support 1 person in season.
It is not setup to be self sustainable.
It says it has water collection, but I don't see it.
It is wood. I expect it will not take long to rot or get bugs that eat wood.
Then we have to look at the soil. The soil will have to be loaded into the building and rotated out.

I would prefer a concrete and aluminum green house, rectangular in shape. Double pained windows.

kirgi08
01-31-2012, 09:32
:popcorn:

sebecman
01-31-2012, 12:42
I say if you can afford that thing to grow a few veggies in, then your probably doing pretty well for yourself.

This truly is a great country!

rj1939
02-01-2012, 05:06
Not very efficient looking. Central heating and cooling??????? I want something simple and sustainable.
Looks like there would be guttering around the perimeter to capture rainwater.
A lot of waste space.

bdcochran
02-01-2012, 07:52
The topic of a survival garden recurs.

1. The term might be a misnomer if the gardening doesn't commence until after shtf - the simplest vegetable, a radish, takes 30 days, assuming it is the right time of year and you have water.

2. If you commence gardening now, at a minimum, you can have some fresh vegetables when shtf and perhaps for a few days afterwards.

3, It is cheap enough to put some seeds by, but don't rely upon being able to plant a survival garden after shtf.

4, It might be better, long term, if you have the land, to plant fruit trees. In this regard, you can consult with your country agricultural person or the local nursery.

5. If you want a manageable garden, try a raised garden. If you follow directions, you will be able to access all sections without walking through and be able to weed easily. The woman down the block planted the front yard of her $800,000 home in raised beds. Of course, on day two of shtf, it will have been harvested by other people who did not prep.

RWBlue
02-01-2012, 10:30
The topic of a survival garden recurs.

4, It might be better, long term, if you have the land, to plant fruit trees. In this regard, you can consult with your country agricultural person or the local nursery.

1. +1
2. +1
3. +1
4. I like berry plants. This way I don't have to climb (fall off) a ladder to pick fruit and they grow like weeks.
5. I think there is a job protecting the front yard if there is a SHTF. Pre-fab tower. Potting soil bags vs. sand bags. High powered semi-auto rifle.