Leather Holster Help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Leather Holster Help

Rev.357
01-30-2012, 13:15
Guys I need some help!
I just got a leather Blackhawk IWB holster for my G32 & man it's hard to draw. It holds the gun very tight!! What can I do to make it easy to draw. I've only had synthetic type holsters & only one leather for my 6 shot but it's smooth as butter.:steamed:

Thanks

gomerpyle
01-30-2012, 13:19
I was in the same boat, coming from kydex to leather.

Put the gun in the holster wrapped with a ziplock or 4 mil plastic and let it sit, was what I was told. My TT was my 1st leather holster and it was REAL tight at 1st, now it's absolutely perfect. I didn't use a ziplock, though.

lethal tupperwa
01-30-2012, 13:19
put your gun in a plastic bag (like zip loc) put in holster and leave for a few days

Still tight use 2 bags.

Scott30
01-30-2012, 13:27
Most manufacturers suggest placing the UNLOADED pistol into a plastic bag (I use a gallon freezer bag) then inserting into the holster. This will very slightly stretch the leather. Leave the gun in place overnight. After that just insert and draw the gun until you get the feel you want.

DO NOT apply oil to the holster. Oil can make the holster too flexible and destroy fit.

up1911fan
01-30-2012, 13:32
Wear it around the house and draw/reinsert it ( unloaded of course!) then do the wrap and holster it for the night. Do the same thing the next day. I'll usually draw it and reinsert it about a 100 times while watching tv at night. Shouldn't take more than a couple days to loosen up.

jwhite75
01-30-2012, 13:35
Wrap it in wax paper and let it sit in the holster over night take it out in the morning and like the others said draw and redraw. You will get to the point that it is just right and will have retention and draw easily.

Rev.357
01-30-2012, 15:16
AWESOME Guys thanks!!

lethal tupperwa
01-30-2012, 19:09
remember the UNLOADED part.

Andrewsky
01-30-2012, 21:31
Don't do an accelerated break-in. It will be too loose in a few weeks if you do that.

NEOH212
01-31-2012, 02:14
Every leather holster that I have ever had were tight in the beginning. They all wore in with in a few weeks regular use.

IndyGunFreak
01-31-2012, 03:16
Every leather holster that I have ever had were tight in the beginning. They all wore in with in a few weeks regular use.

Pretty much... I'm not particularly fond of the plastic bag method, but many have done it and many manufacturers suggest it, so it must be OK.

Personally, I just took a night, plopped in front of the TV, and repeatedly inserted/removed the unloaded firearm from the holster. Couple 100x of that, and it will be smooth as butter (at least mine was). Your arms will be sore though.