MI CCW in Indiana, and Illinois [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : MI CCW in Indiana, and Illinois

coonracing18
01-30-2012, 13:59
i know, i know, ive searched and just wanted maybe a more brief and easy explanation. I live in MI and currently have a MI issued Concealed carry permit. I understand that chicago is a big no-no so to say from what ive heard and i also know that its been in the news quite a bit recently, what i want to know is; I am traveling south out of MI, thru Indiana (am i safe there too?) and into Illinois south of Chicago, into a town called Monee,Illinois...am i safe in these two area or what are the stipulations? ( ive read other posts on here stating that ammo has to be seperated, or locked in truck, and countless others..hoping someone has a real answer or a link to a credible website that i can understand and translate myself...like i said ive been on this for an hour now and not getting any answers! any and all help will be appreciated...thanks in advance guys!

RussP
01-30-2012, 14:15
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/illinois.pdf

xmanhockey7
01-30-2012, 14:55
You're good in Indiana. The entire state of Illinois is a HUGE no-no. Is Illinois your final destination? If so I'd suggest leaving the gun at home.

While state law allows other ways of transport some cities (Chicago) have greater restrictions on the transportation of firearms. If you are simply transporting through Illinois to go to a state where you can legally carry I'd suggest transporting the gun as federal law allows.

Like RussP cited handgunlaws.us is a good site. Check this out too. It talks about the transportation over state lines. http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/articles/2010/guide-to-the-interstate-transportation.aspx

ILLINOIS— As of this writing, Illinois is the only state in the nation without a lawful means of carrying a usable and readily-accessible handgun about one’s person.. In addition, several overlapping state statutes restrict the transport of firearms in vehicles. Non-residents who are traveling through Illinois and whose itinerary does not allow them to take advantage of FOPA should have a valid Illinois Firearm Owners Identification Card (FOID) or a valid firearm license or registration from another state and should keep any firearms unloaded and cased; store ammunition in a separate, closed container; and transport both firearms and ammunition in as inaccessible a location within the vehicle as possible.

Illinois also allows localities to enact firearms restrictions greater than those imposed by state law, and a number of jurisdictions have done so, including Aurora, Chicago, Cook County, Evanston, and Oak Park. In addition to the steps mentioned above, travelers may want to transport their firearms in a broken down, non-functioning state when traveling through these jurisdictions. Chicago’s Municipal Code also contains a rebuttable presumption that any person in the city for more than 24 hours is not engaged in interstate travel and is subject to all local laws and requirements regarding the possession of firearms and ammunition.

Travelers should also be aware that several of these jurisdictions ban specific types of firearms, ammunition, ammunition feeding devices, and/or firearm accessories. Chicago, for example, bans handguns declared “unsafe” by the Superintendent of the Department of Police, so-called “assault weapons,” machine guns and other firearms regulated under the National Firearms Act, “laser sight accessories,” firearm silencers or “mufflers,” “high-capacity” (i.e., more than 12-round) magazines, and “metal piercing bullets” (which include ammunition with non-lead projectiles). All these items are subject to seizure and forfeiture. In some cases, the local ordinances have no explicit exceptions to these bans for travelers merely passing through the jurisdiction.

Travelers planning extended stops in any of these jurisdictions should contact local authorities for more detailed information and proceed with caution.

coonracing18
01-30-2012, 14:56
fml........

IndyGunFreak
01-30-2012, 15:08
Indiana is almost perfect on gun laws. It's unlikely you'll have any problems on your stop here.

As said above, if you're staying in Illinois, just leave it at home.

up1911fan
01-30-2012, 15:09
Don't even think of carrying in Illinois.

coonracing18
01-30-2012, 15:37
ya im jsut taking a vehicle to illinois from michigan,its for work...and then obviously heading back to MI..ill be in the state for what a total of an hour maybe..just sucks that states have dumb laws like that..and now i have to worry about what could happen while not having it for close to 10 hours (round trip) in cities im definately not comfortable with...stupid...ugh

coonracing18
01-30-2012, 15:39
so what if im not staying in illinois..what if im jsut entering the state to drop off a vehicle..turning around and leaving...would that be considered illegal..or could i have it like what i previously read. (unloaded, locked in case, and not readily availible)

gator378
01-30-2012, 15:55
Don't even think of carrying in Illinois.

I live in Missouri and Illinois is a hell hole for gun owners. I believe Les Baer who makes 45s moved from Illinois to Iowa because it got so bad.

DEEAYCEE
01-30-2012, 16:21
here's a direct link to the Illinois state issued pamphlet "Transport Your Firearm Legally"

www.isp.state.il.us/docs/1-154.pdf

HoldHard
01-30-2012, 16:33
From the last paragraph of the link in DEEAYCEE's post:

Illinoisí Unlawful Use of Weapons law does not preempt local ordinances from banning firearms. Persons carrying or transporting firearms through such communities could be subject to local firearm ordinances. It is recommended that you contact local authorities regarding their firearm ordinances.

I am not a lawyer. This is what I'd do:

I would not go into the city limits of Chicago.
I'd would check the laws for the destination city.
I'd obey the rest of the "out-of-state" laws (looks like you have to have a Michigan CPL) and transport it correctly, cased and locked separate from the ammunition.

HH

IndyGunFreak
01-30-2012, 16:53
From the last paragraph of the link in DEEAYCEE's post:

I am not a lawyer. This is what I'd do:

I would not go into the city limits of Chicago.
I'd would check the laws for the destination city.
I'd obey the rest of the "out-of-state" laws (looks like you have to have a Michigan CPL) and transport it correctly, cased and locked separate from the ammunition.

HH

and
I'd get my butt back into Indiana has quickly as possible

as400guy1
01-30-2012, 19:34
Simple....Don't carry in Illinois. Before you get to the state line, put it in a case in your trunk (unloaded). Monee has no special restrictions (AFAIK).

Sharky7
01-30-2012, 20:01
so what if im not staying in illinois..what if im jsut entering the state to drop off a vehicle..turning around and leaving...would that be considered illegal..or could i have it like what i previously read. (unloaded, locked in case, and not readily availible)

Even if you are just driving through Illinois - You can not carry the firearm on your person. It's a felony crime that can result in prison time.

Read through thoroughly;
http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/ptfire.pdf

crash_gsxr750
01-30-2012, 20:24
illinois sucks

but my understand and correct me if I'm wrong

if your on federal interstate highways you can transport your gun normally, as in ammo separate from gun and in locked compartment (i.e. transport mode) regardless of local laws because your on federal highway.

HarleyGuy
01-30-2012, 21:28
I have traveled THROUGH Illinois many times with my gun UNLOADED and in a CASE in the trunk of my vehicle.
IF I'm just going TO Illinois (or any town in Illinois) I leave my gun at HOME.

There's no way that I would take the chance of being charged with a felony just to carry in Illinois for a couple of hours and all it would take is a simple traffic stop or perhaps an accident that isn't your fault.

xmanhockey7
01-30-2012, 21:43
and
I'd get my butt back into Indiana has quickly as possible

I remember when I was driving back home to MI from MN. I was legally transporting my firearms but I gotta tell ya when I saw the "Welcome to Indiana" sign I felt relieved!

isp2605
01-30-2012, 23:48
Way too much misinformation here on IL. Some people pay way too much attention to spreading erroneous internet rumos. Deeaycee provided a very good reference that should answer your questions.
Plenty of people legally transport firearms everyday in IL and do not have a bit of trouble even if stopped. 3 of the largest shooting competitions in the US are held in IL. People from all over the country routinely legally bring firearms into the state.
Here's all you need to do to comply with IL statutes:
The firearm must be unloaded and in a case.
Mags do not have to be unloaded.
Mags can be in the same case as the firearm but nothing in IL statutes require the mags to be in a case.
Unloaded mags can be in the firearm.
Nothing in IL statutes requires the firearm to be locked in the trunk or even locked in a case.
A case is defined by statute as "a container specifically designed for the purpose of housing a gun or bow and arrow device which completely encloses such gun or bow and arrow device by being zipped, snapped, buckled, tied, or otherwise fastened with no portion of the gun or bow and arrow device exposed."

So it's unloaded and in a case and you'll be fine as far as state statutes are concerned.

MODOC GLOCK
01-31-2012, 00:20
Eff Illinois !

every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

IndyGunFreak
01-31-2012, 01:52
So it's unloaded and in a case and you'll be fine as far as state statutes are concerned.

This is, in my opinion, the dilemma of the whole situation. Regarding state statutes, he's probably fine, but I'm assuming he will be passing through several counties, towns, cities, etc.. all of which could have ordinances that are far more strict than state statutes.

IGF

xmanhockey7
01-31-2012, 01:55
This is, in my opinion, the dilemma of the whole situation. Regarding state statutes, he's probably fine, but I'm assuming he will be passing through several counties, towns, cities, etc.. all of which could have ordinances that are far more strict than state statutes.

IGF

Exactly

isp2605
01-31-2012, 07:12
IGF
If he's passing thru any such location then as long as he's in compliance with FOPA then there's no issue. Contrary to what some internet "legal experts" think IL does recognize and honor federal law.
All anyone has to do to find a local ordinance is click on the list to the right.
http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/ordinances.cfm
The ordinances are not as many as one initially thinks by looking at the list of cities listed. Most of those ordinances are directed at dealers such as zoning restrictions for businesses.
Many of those listed have ordinances which are no more restrictive than state law and mirror state law. There's a very good reason why a city would have an ordinance mirroring state law. If a person is cited under a city ordinance the violation is 1) not a criminal cite and 2) any fine money goes 100% to the city and none to the county.
The OP has a MI CCW. What does he intend to do when he travels again to another state that does not recognize his MI CCW? What is the requirement for transporting his firearm then? Any different than IL?

coonracing18
01-31-2012, 07:39
If he's passing thru any such location then as long as he's in compliance with FOPA then there's no issue. Contrary to what some internet "legal experts" think IL does recognize and honor federal law.
All anyone has to do to find a local ordinance is click on the list to the right.
http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/ordinances.cfm
The ordinances are not as many as one initially thinks by looking at the list of cities listed. Most of those ordinances are directed at dealers such as zoning restrictions for businesses.
Many of those listed have ordinances which are no more restrictive than state law and mirror state law. There's a very good reason why a city would have an ordinance mirroring state law. If a person is cited under a city ordinance the violation is 1) not a criminal cite and 2) any fine money goes 100% to the city and none to the county.
The OP has a MI CCW. What does he intend to do when he travels again to another state that does not recognize his MI CCW? What is the requirement for transporting his firearm then? Any different than IL?

Being the OP i can answer that....every other state that i would ever have to go recognizes my CCW..the only state that doesnt is Illinois, if that doesnt throw a red flag at Illinois law makers i dont know what does....im sure everyone here agress with me when i say...restricting "our" gun laws wont make your damn city any safer, criminals dont care wtf your doing, where you go, where you live, they jsut know that unless your a cop or another criminal then you dont have a f-in gun on you...therefore, they do as they please....its irratating to even talk about isnt it..thanks for all the help guys!

Nocaster
01-31-2012, 07:44
The good news is that Monee is very close to the Indiana border

eracer
01-31-2012, 07:46
Politicians from Illinois are historically stubborn about believing that they are the arbiters of truth. The rest of the country is WRONG, as far as they are concerned, and they have no intention of changing to keep up with what they consider 'misguided' common wisdom.

isp2605
01-31-2012, 08:05
Being the OP i can answer that....every other state that i would ever have to go recognizes my CCW..
You missed the point entirely. Not every other state recognizes or honors a MI permit. Whether you intend to travel to one of those states now, at this time, is irrelevant. The point is if you were to drive to Maine for example what would be the proceedure when traveling thru NY? FOPA would apply. No different than when going to Monee, IL or any other state that doesn't recognize MI permits.

the only state that doesnt is Illinois, if that doesnt throw a red flag at Illinois law makers i dont know what does....im sure everyone here agress with me when i say...restricting "our" gun laws wont make your damn city any safer, criminals dont care wtf your doing, where you go, where you live, they jsut know that unless your a cop or another criminal then you dont have a f-in gun on you...therefore, they do as they please....its irratating to even talk about isnt it..thanks for all the help guys!
Completely different topic and an editorial comment. You wanted information on how to legally travel in IL. You got the correct answer. Unloaded and in a case. Whether you agree with it or not is irrelevant to the question you initially asked. You asked how to be legal and you were given the answer. Editorial comments don't have a bearing on what's going to keep you legal. A completely different topic.