Let's talk about Doomsday Preppers [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about Doomsday Preppers

Dexters
01-30-2012, 18:13
I've watched the following 'Doomsday Preppers' Let me know if I've missed any and add your comments.

Generally all these people presented themselves well. I think the strongest point for all of them is that they have their family involved and support. Also, they have integrated their prepping into their lives and appear to be happy.

The general weakness is what we here have discussed - have like minded people around where you live and being similarly prepared.

For the life of me I can not understand why any of them participated in the program.

1. Phoenix - Family with self sustaining pool set up worried about solar eruption

- Pool set up is great and his plans for the roof are also good.

- Did they have guns?

2. Phoenix - Suburban housewife worried about hyper inflation

- Currently provided services - water, electricity, sanitation seem to be lacking

3. Utah - Salesman underground shelter worried about nuclear bomb

- Getting to the location might be the biggest challenge; they really need to be there before the bomb goes off.

4 . South Carolina ranch/farm worried about society breakdown

- We've discussed this situation - being close to a city - they need bear/pepper spray and probably silencers.

cowboy1964
01-30-2012, 18:59
Any bug out location is going to be problematic if you don't get out in time. That comes with the territory, so to speak.

An underground shelter like that is terrific but I would want my entrance to be better concealed. Their's, even though it was out in the middle of nowhere, could be seen for a long ways by anyone paying any attention at all.

sigbear
01-30-2012, 19:23
I didn't know Doomsday Preppers started yet, what channel?

cysoto
01-30-2012, 19:56

It's not due to air until Feb 7 but there are a few short videos at this link: http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/national-geographic-channel/shows/doomsday-preppers/ngc-food-preservation/

wrenrj1
01-30-2012, 19:57

Me too!

Dexters
01-30-2012, 19:59

Search youtube

jdavionic
01-30-2012, 20:02
Search youtube

Says that the video has been removed.

DoctaGlockta
01-30-2012, 20:28
Thanks for the video link. Wait to watch the 'Doris Day of Doom' video set and get a load of the bloke who thinks he doesn't need weapons or firearms to protect the group from invaders. He is going to invite said looters/thugs/killers over for a nice dinner and chat. Pass the bong Cheech :upeyes:.

cowboy1964
01-30-2012, 20:51
A "preview" of sorts ran a few months ago, highlighting 4 (IIRC) prepper families. It looks like the new series is going to repeat those, and add new ones.

Dexters
01-30-2012, 21:10
Says that the video has been removed.

You have to search a lot to find them but I found the 4 I mentioned.

Lone Kimono
01-30-2012, 21:22
Yeah, all four of those were online for a good while. I think they were there yesterday when I looked.

sebecman
01-31-2012, 09:40
For the life of me I can not understand why any of them participated in the program.

It's a TV "Reality" Show and as such I dismiss it as entertainment with little basis in fact.

It is my belief that not a single "Reality" show is actually based more than 50% in reality. Rather they are a gross conglomeration of humanity and Hollyweird script writers.

Do you think the Pawn industry is really as exciting as those fatso's make it look? Or is driving a truck on some back roads really that cool unless you got a smoking blonde hottie doing it? Really? What about logging? I've been there, nothing glamorous about it...but all these shows have millions of veiwers...why?

WRITERS. They aren't just out there letting the cameras roll...they are making their own version of "reality" for us to enjoy while we shovel their advertiser's crap into our faces....

The overriding mandate of any such program is to increase veiwership so the producers can attract advertising dollars.

Money..that is why the families sign on to be portrayed as whatever the shows writers want to portray them as.

humanguerrilla
01-31-2012, 09:50
From what I've seen this show will probably make life much harder for preppers among friends and family who do not prep.

...but maybe a few pearls of "I never thought of that"s or "wow cool" will redeem it.

like the SHTF pink stripper pole
http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/national-geographic-channel/shows/doomsday-preppers/ngc-suvival-of-the-fittest/

wrenrj1
01-31-2012, 19:28
It's a TV "Reality" Show and as such I dismiss it as entertainment with little basis in fact.

It is my belief that not a single "Reality" show is actually based more than 50% in reality. Rather they are a gross conglomeration of humanity and Hollyweird script writers.

Do you think the Pawn industry is really as exciting as those fatso's make it look? Or is driving a truck on some back roads really that cool unless you got a smoking blonde hottie doing it? Really? What about logging? I've been there, nothing glamorous about it...but all these shows have millions of veiwers...why?

WRITERS. They aren't just out there letting the cameras roll...they are making their own version of "reality" for us to enjoy while we shovel their advertiser's crap into our faces....

The overriding mandate of any such program is to increase veiwership so the producers can attract advertising dollars.

Money..that is why the families sign on to be portrayed as whatever the shows writers want to portray them as.

Thanks for ruining my excited Christmas morning like anticipation that this show may be mildly entertaining. Ill bet you're great a kids partys...:faint:

GAU-8
02-01-2012, 02:23
Do you think the Pawn industry is really as exciting as those fatso's make it look?

LOL!!

I was thinking the same thing when surfing last night. The pawn business just isn't that glamorous! And what the heck does it have to do with History? Why are these not-reality shows on the History channel, the discovery channel, Natgeo and such? Are they that desperate? Ax Men, ya that's history. What a joke these channels have become. Oh, and the best yet.......Finding Bigfoot!

pugman
02-01-2012, 08:19
...but all these shows have millions of veiwers...why?

Because the American audience is lazy and stupid and television producers realize these shows are cheap to produce and if they put them on the air someone will watch.

Proof: Several months ago the new Gander Mountain opened in Madison, WI with one of their first training academies - its a nice facility.

There was a huge line of people waiting for something; ask a guy behind the counter and he said some of the "stars" of Swamp People were going to be there.

This line was over 1,000 people long and the clerk said they had people waiting at the front door since 9 pm the previous night...

These are the same people who will be waiting in line for soup if the U.S economy crashes...

One of the chapter's in my upcoming book will be "the definition of celebrity has changed....a lot"

sebecman
02-01-2012, 09:46
Thanks for ruining my excited Christmas morning like anticipation that this show may be mildly entertaining. Ill bet you're great a kids partys...:faint:

I don't go to kids parties but if I ever do I will be sure to let you know how I do...

kirgi08
02-01-2012, 09:51
Because the American audience is lazy and stupid and television producers realize these shows are cheap to produce and if they put them on the air someone will watch.

Proof: Several months ago the new Gander Mountain opened in Madison, WI with one of their first training academies - its a nice facility.

There was a huge line of people waiting for something; ask a guy behind the counter and he said some of the "stars" of Swamp People were going to be there.

This line was over 1,000 people long and the clerk said they had people waiting at the front door since 9 pm the previous night...

These are the same people who will be waiting in line for soup if the U.S economy crashes...

One of the chapter's in my upcoming book will be "the definition of celebrity has changed....a lot"

:goodpost: :agree:

Damned good post.'08.

B.Reid
02-01-2012, 15:16
Guess I need to DVR this.

wrenrj1
02-01-2012, 19:22
I don't go to kids parties but if I ever do I will be sure to let you know how I do...

Great comeback!:rofl:

sebecman
02-02-2012, 09:38
Great comeback!:rofl:

If you expected a great comeback you should have been a litte more original.

Like I have never seen "You must be great at kids parties" posted online before.

:upeyes:

What other wit can you share?

wrenrj1
02-02-2012, 19:44
If you expected a great comeback you should have been a litte more original.

Like I have never seen "You must be great at kids parties" posted online before.

:upeyes:

What other wit can you share?

I'd have to go into the gutter Army style, or share my family pics. None of which you want me to do...:cool:

glockeglock
02-03-2012, 16:04

leadcounsel
02-05-2012, 17:49
I also am surprised that these Preppers would out themselves... but I'm sure money talks and they ain't doing it for free.

I guess that for say a $50,000 payout, if they REALLY thought the world was coming to an end, they could turn that $ into more preps. And, honestly, it doesn't matter that you advertised in 2012 that you were a prepper... because in 20XX when it all collapses nobody will remember or care. High mortality, panic in the streets, grid collapse, etc.

FerFAL
02-06-2012, 06:14
I also am surprised that these Preppers would out themselves... but I'm sure money talks and they ain't doing it for free.

I guess that for say a $50,000 payout, if they REALLY thought the world was coming to an end, they could turn that $ into more preps. And, honestly, it doesn't matter that you advertised in 2012 that you were a prepper... because in 20XX when it all collapses nobody will remember or care. High mortality, panic in the streets, grid collapse, etc.

I'd be surprised if they paid them much, if anything at all. In general they dont pay, people still do it for the 5 minutes of fame. There's plenty would be survivalist and preppers willing to do it. They end up looking like fools, and a producer just got 30 minutes of "entertainment" without spending a dime. That's why you see so many "reality" tv shows, its just SO much cheaper than actually doing real TV the old way.
As for the prepper show, 90% is just stupid, poor advice, people that clearly have no idea of what they are doing. My favorite part was when the lady says she learned to communicate with her husnband during a home invasion using morse code becuase she picked that up from ... ... "Charly's Angels". After that perl of wisdom I realized those were 5 minutes of my live I would never get back and stopped wasting my time. :dunno:
FerFAL

TangoFoxtrot
02-06-2012, 08:17
The first show here aires tomarrow. But from what I've seen from the coming attractions most of the preppers appear to be whack jobs. We shall see!

cowboy1964
02-06-2012, 10:52
I am amazed at the number of people who are upset about entertainment programs.

Seriously, move on.

BigEd
02-06-2012, 13:45
The first show here aires tomarrow. But from what I've seen from the coming attractions most of the preppers appear to be whack jobs. We shall see!

Agreed....I was really excited until they showed some girl talking about shooting her cats in the head when the S**T hits the fan.

jdavionic
02-07-2012, 19:31
Just a reminder for folks...it airs tonight (ET) in about 30 minutes

jdavionic
02-07-2012, 20:13
Ugh...the first guy is prepping for continental plate shifts :upeyes: Funny, ask a lot of "preppers" here and you get reasons - economy, natural disaster (as in hurricanes, tornados, breakout of a virus, etc),... I don't think I've ever read a post where someone was prepping for changes in the magnetic poles and shifting on the continents. Doesn't look promising.

jdavionic
02-07-2012, 20:36
So Christopher seems to think that roaming the streets of LA is the best option for survival in a disaster. Really? I give that guy less than 1 week on the streets before he's lying dead in a ravine.

I will say that both he and the previous preppers have some good knowledge and skills - e.g., prepper #1 with their food prep skills, prepper #2 with his knowledge of plants.

leadcounsel
02-07-2012, 22:18
The preppers in the compound in I believe Arizona seem to have a great plan. The only faults I could see is their anticipation that their place is bullet proof to .22. They need angled steel for increased security. They also didn't discuss medicine. They need to recruit a doctor and/or nurse and stock up on medicines. Maybe a vet too.

The California guy is just a bafoon. If he's prepping for an earthquake, the best preps is to just move someplace else! His pack has lots of knives, no tools, no guns, no medicine... He has a small pack that would last him about a couple of weeks in an ideal situation. No backup plan if he's robbed of the pack, no guns... etc. What is his security plan for sleeping? What is his plan if he's badly injured?

The female in Houston is woefully underprepared, but has the right mentality.

BTW - I'm also woefully underprepared. I stock some food, water, and other basic supplies, trade goods like wine, silver, etc. I have some hand tools. I also have guns and ammo. I have military training, for whatever that's worth. I have a survival mentality, but realistically wouldn't make it long... :( My close friends and family are nowhere near where I live. And I work so much that I don't really have time to really prep how I'd like to.

mac66
02-07-2012, 23:02
Watched the show for the first time tonight and caught it about 20 minutes in so I didn't see the first group. Thought it was interesting.

That California guy Christopher Nyergs has been doing the wild plant thing for longer than most of you guys have been alive. He is an expert and have written books and stuff for decades. He is more of a wilderness survival type than a doomer. I was surprised to see him on that show.

The disabled truck driver in Tennessee certainly knows his stuff. The biggest threat to his survival is his health. He needs to forget about his prepping and take care of his heath first. He isn't gonna survive his next ham sandwich let alone the TEOTWAKI.

Chicky poo in Houston needs to buy a bicycle. Not only will she be able to get her fat butt out of town, she will lose some weight and learn some different routes.

New England liberal couple. They have a nice setup and are nice people who don't believe in guns. They are dead meat as soon as the SHTF. Painful to watch those poor ignorant fools.

The chunky woman who is gourmet cook and her husband have an excellent setup. Wished I lived next door to her. Seems a bit obsessed with food, ya think?

The guy and his family in Colorado, another nice setup. Kind of cool having the whole family involved.

Some of those people need to get out more and take vacation.

Bolster
02-07-2012, 23:08
Yet another TV thread. Watching TV must be a prepper's favorite past-time. Hope all you TV watchers have spare EMP protected, battery-powered TVs for post apocalypse TV watching.

leadcounsel
02-07-2012, 23:24
I'd offer to provide guns and security to the New England couple in exchange for supplies and preps.

smokeross
02-07-2012, 23:27
Ugh...the first guy is prepping for continental plate shifts :upeyes: Funny, ask a lot of "preppers" here and you get reasons - economy, natural disaster (as in hurricanes, tornados, breakout of a virus, etc),... I don't think I've ever read a post where someone was prepping for changes in the magnetic poles and shifting on the continents. Doesn't look promising.
I better start stocking up on tropical clothing in case Alaska ends up in the South Pacific. Oh, and sun screen. Wonder if 'bug dope' will work for that.

cowboy1964
02-07-2012, 23:30
I have never heard of a magnetic pole reversal actually moving continents by hundreds or thousands of miles. Whack jobs indeed.

Bugging out to Mexico?? I'm glad at the end that girl wised up about that.

leadcounsel
02-08-2012, 00:00
I think it's a mistake to get hung up on the exact cause of a collapse... for the preppers with a solid plan, it matters not whether it's solar flares, economic collapse, widespread doomsday virus, oil interruption, food interruption, etc.

Kadetklapp
02-08-2012, 07:32
Well, the show wasn't as bad as I anticipated. The shifting plate people seemed to have a good setup....although I find the "threat" they are preparing for a tad preposterous.

The chick in the apartment started out level-headed, but as her tale went on...she got really weird. Her "update" said it all, really...

TangoFoxtrot
02-08-2012, 08:07
I'd offer to provide guns and security to the New England couple in exchange for supplies and preps.

Well they need something because their antigun stance is gonna get her raped, his throat slit and everything they worked for taken. They are in a fantasy world if they think they can trust anyone in a total SHTF senario.

TangoFoxtrot
02-08-2012, 08:09
They girl living in the city will be raped and dead before she gets half way to her bug-out vehicle

mac66
02-08-2012, 08:36
They girl living in the city will be raped and dead before she gets half way to her bug-out vehicle

You know she was carrying a gun right? She needs to get a new wardrobe though, short shorts on her were not flattering. I bet her legs were chafed pretty bad after her long walk. The other thing is that she is living with her boyfriend who apparently chose not to be part of the program.

kirgi08
02-08-2012, 08:52
There will be a bunch of dead and violated folk in those groups.The log splitters and the school bus folk have the best base plan.

Those NE folk :faint:,thinking it's a good Idea ta "interview" looters. :crazy:

That trucker dewd has it right,info is a key.However I'd be more inta listening than talking.

That methane Idea is quite interesting,however I'd of made the system a hell of a lot stouter than it looked in the show.A spark at the wrong time-IE direct hit,ricochet and boom. :scared:

That chef lady has a very valid point,"comfort" food will be a major +,they however will be toast when the balloon goes up.Their planning for a loan "invader", and that is a fatal flaw.They are outside a major city and that's never good.'08.

Kadetklapp
02-08-2012, 10:40
Were there two episodes last night? My DVR started at the people living in the conex castle, I didn't see anything about truckers or hippies on the east coast...

smokeross
02-08-2012, 10:55
I think it's a mistake to get hung up on the exact cause of a collapse... for the preppers with a solid plan, it matters not whether it's solar flares, economic collapse, widespread doomsday virus, oil interruption, food interruption, etc.
Super volcano, asteroid, EMB, nuclear, WW3, invasion of aliens, plagues, famine, giant ants......

Sgt. Rambo
02-08-2012, 14:01
I liked the show... couple of reasons.. I did gather an idea or two, and it didn't flatter the preppers in a positive light so people will just settle back down and leave the prices of preps down....lol
Looking foward to more episodes but more to the Walking Dead coming back...LOL

208GunGeek
02-08-2012, 16:44
Chicky poo in Houston needs to buy a bicycle. Not only will she be able to get her fat butt out of town, she will lose some weight and learn some different routes.

New England liberal couple. They have a nice setup and are nice people who don't believe in guns. They are dead meat as soon as the SHTF. Painful to watch those poor ignorant fools.

The chunky woman who is gourmet cook and her husband have an excellent setup. Wished I lived next door to her. Seems a bit obsessed with food, ya think?

I totally agree with you!

"Chicky Poo in Houston" :rofl: She actually had decent ideology in her preparedness (but not her actual prep) because it would work for a number of SHTF situations that could actually happen. Being cut off from the worlds oil supply isn't one situation I'd have at the top of my list though. In H Town, I'd be worried about a Hurricane Katrina type of situation.

The very first people that were featured on the first episode - the couple that lived in the shipping containers... WTF? Good plan if they were on the Gulf Coast anticipating another Hurricane Katrina, but a pole shift? Sorry but they fall under "KOOKS" in my book.

They seem to dedicate their lives to prepping for this pole shift happening... Do they have jobs? I was doing the math when they mentioned the amount of time this couple dedicated to prepping. It didn't leave much time for goin to work.

If anything, Doomsday Preppers was a bit of entertainment that made you think about your own plan if SHTF. Thats about all I got from it.

jdavionic
02-08-2012, 17:05
Well, you know the majority of "preppers" that I see in the various forums (including this one) have reasonable assessments of their own risks to prep for, a reassessment of their current preparedness level, and work to strike a reasonable balance with life's other priorities. Of course, reasonable people are boring to a left-wing media that wants drive their own underlying message (anyone who preps is a nutjob) while also driving ratings.

ICARRY2
02-08-2012, 23:24
I dont get the girl in houston. Why would you park a bug out vehicle 6 miles away in the city and then walk there with 40 pounds on your back?

The new england family are just freaking clueless.

Others seem to have a good setup.

runcible68
02-09-2012, 00:05
I got a kick out of the show. Interesting to see people's take on the subject and their psychology.

I'll probably be in the minority here, but I think the least well prepared group was the people with 15 years of food an armory of weapons.

I don't care if you have 22 people with guns holed up in a compound. (And from what I saw, many of them were children and older folks, with a few hardy ex-solider types.) If the manure really hits the fan there'd be lots of ARMED and hungry people looking for food. Sure, they're well prepared to repel small groups and stragglers, but if you get a ratio of 3 attackers to every one defender and that'll be enough to overwhelm them. So that's 66 people. Not a lot, really. And if a smaller group of trained people set upon them, it's all over. Can you imagine what a group of guys with combat experience (And we have a lot of them) could do?

A couple of sniper shots to demoralize them. Pick off a kid and they'll go crazy.

Shoot into the compound in six hour shifts so no one can really get any sleep.

A couple of Molotov cocktails would really create problems. Sow fear.

Then again a banzai attack by desperate people could do it. I don't care how many bullets you have. Some will eventually get through. All fortresses fail. That is the lesson of history. Think the Maginot Line. Those people would be toast.

And their bug out plan? Taking an hour to load slow moving busses with food and people? Take out the lead car and pick them off from cover. Convoys manned by US Soldiers have been overrun by goat herders with antiquated rifles - and they had air support on call!

The psychology of that group was interesting too. The leader had seem Vietnam plunge into chaos in 1975 and that obviously made an impression. PTSD? Could be. Can't diagnose from afar. His idea of the continental plates abruptly shifting is plain nuts. It just doesn't work that way an his reasoning is indicative of delusional thinking. And delusional people do not fare well in crisis. They just can't see reality staring them in the face .But what was telling was the comment the man made about food being a better investment than financial ones. What? If the world doesn't end he'll have food, sure, but little else. The odds of the world ending are slim. And remember, Vietnam rebuilt and now we buy TV sets made there.

The man had the typical "little man versus big man" mentality of some preppers. "Yeah I many not be a Wall Street titan," some say. "But when the end comes, that guy's Lear Jet will be out of gas and he'll be begging me for food." There's a certain smugness to that attitude and I fear it is the prepper's Achilles Heel.

All this hiding in the bunker stuff give preppers a bad name. We should be focusing on what may realistically happen (Riots, weather, blackouts) Not enough people in this country have food in their larders to make it three days, much less three weeks. We should be educating them without freaking them out.

I can can hole up a month in my house with enough bullets to discourage casual marauders. After that, I don't want to think about it.

runcible68
02-09-2012, 00:18
I got a kick out of the show. Interesting to see people's take on the subject and their psychology.

I'll probably be in the minority here, but I think the least well prepared group was the people with 15 years of food an armory of weapons.

I don't care if you have 22 people with guns holed up in a compound. (And from what I saw, many of them were children and older folks, with a few hardy ex-solider types.) If the manure really hits the fan there'd be lots of ARMED and hungry people looking for food. Sure, they're well prepared to repel small groups and stragglers, but if you get a ratio of 3 attackers to every one defender and that'll be enough to overwhelm them. So that's 66 people. Not a lot, really. And if a smaller group of trained people set upon them, it's all over. Can you imagine what a group of guys with combat experience (And we have a lot of them) could do?

A couple of sniper shots to demoralize them. Pick off a kid and they'll go crazy.

Shoot into the compound in six hour shifts so no one can really get any sleep.

A couple of Molotov cocktails would really create problems. Sow fear.

Then again a banzai attack by desperate people could do it. I don't care how many bullets you have. Some will eventually get through. All fortresses fail. That is the lesson of history. Think the Maginot Line. Those people would be toast.

And their bug out plan? Taking an hour to load slow moving busses with food and people? Take out the lead car and pick them off from cover. Convoys manned by US Soldiers have been overrun by goat herders with antiquated rifles - and they had air support on call!

The psychology of that group was interesting too. The leader had seem Vietnam plunge into chaos in 1975 and that obviously made an impression. PTSD? Could be. Can't diagnose from afar. His idea of the continental plates abruptly shifting is plain nuts. It just doesn't work that way an his reasoning is indicative of delusional thinking. Delusional people don’t fare well in a crisis. But what was telling was the comment the man made about food being a better investment than financial ones. What? If the world doesn't end he'll have food, sure, but little else.

The man had the typical "little man versus big man" mentality of some preppers. "Yeah I many not be a Wall Street titan," some say. "But when the end comes, that guy's Lear Jet will be out of gas and he'll be begging me for food." There's a certain smugness to that attitude and I fear it is the prepper's Achilles Heel.

The whole bunker thing gives preppers a bad name. A reasoned and sensible evaluation of probable events (Civil unrest, weather, blackouts) should be first and foremost. Most people in this country have less than three days of food in their larders, much less three weeks. We should be educating them about sensible prep and not freak them out.

I myself have a month’s worth of food and enough bullets to fend off casual marauders. After that, I don’t want to think about it.

I’d kidnap the California guy and protect him with my guns! The hippies will do well in a small crisis if they have armed and friendly neighbors. The Texas girl will probably have a breakdown after shooting her cat.

jdavionic
02-09-2012, 04:59
I didn't think they were the least prepared. You had the New England couple with lots of honey and love, but no security.

In general, I think each person they showed had some level of prep skills that were decent - e.g., how to grow and preserve food. However they all had severe flaws along the way - starting with delusional ideas on human nature in crisis.

Very few people are trained, armed, and organized to survive a coordinated military-style strike. Fortunately though, we see it over & over again where thugs lack training and the ability to pull off such attacks. Most are opportunists that seek easy targets first.

So while I agree none of them would survive such a coordinated attack, I do think that those threats are lower risk than many others. I do think that driving around in nice yellow school buses will draw unwanted attention. Then those "opportunists" will be following and looking for an opportunity to take their stuff.

Lots of snipers on the internet. However there are much less people with the skills in the streets.

Bug out plans in general were entertaining. We had everything from school buses to a girl that plans to walk the streets of Houston at night with a headlamp, to a hippy that believes the streets of LA will be the best path to survival.

The psychology of that group was interesting too. The leader had seem Vietnam plunge into chaos in 1975 and that obviously made an impression. PTSD? Could be. Can't diagnose from afar. His idea of the continental plates abruptly shifting is plain nuts. It just doesn't work that way an his reasoning is indicative of delusional thinking. Delusional people donít fare well in a crisis. But what was telling was the comment the man made about food being a better investment than financial ones. What? If the world doesn't end he'll have food, sure, but little else.
You often see on S&P forums a ranking of what people believe to be the greatest risks to them. There is no one-size-fits-all answer; however most reasonable people believe that an economic crisis is a concern. Shifting continental plates...not so much. :rofl:

The whole bunker thing gives preppers a bad name. A reasoned and sensible evaluation of probable events (Civil unrest, weather, blackouts) should be first and foremost. Most people in this country have less than three days of food in their larders, much less three weeks. We should be educating them about sensible prep and not freak them out.
I agree...but that's boring to the media. I see the show as having two goals. 1 - portray "preppers" as nutjobs by focusing on people that plan to shoot their cats, bunker down for the upcoming shift in continental plates, etc. And 2 - ratings...ratings = money.

I myself have a monthís worth of food and enough bullets to fend off casual marauders. After that, I donít want to think about it.
And based on your own risk assessment, what you have may be fine for your higher risk concerns.

Iíd kidnap the California guy and protect him with my guns! The hippies will do well in a small crisis if they have armed and friendly neighbors.
I think the hippy would be one of the first to perish in a crisis. LA streets are not friendly in the first place. Toss a little chaos and infrastructure breakdown in the mix, and hippy dude will be lying in a ravine with a plant shoved up his arse.

pmwglock19
02-09-2012, 06:14
The prepper that has a 50-50 chance is the LA guy. Except if ash falls and kills all plant life, what is there to eat?

mac66
02-09-2012, 08:36
I make a little fun of these people but I admit that I have been prepping since Jimmy Carter was elected. I went through the doomsday phase and now just prepare for what is likely to happen. i.e, natural, man made and technical disasters relative to my area. Fortunately for me I have gotten to the point that I am pretty well set. I made decisions years ago and built on those things to the point where they are pretty much self sustaining.

Which comes down to this, to survive a disaster long term your preps have to be adaptable and sustainable. The disabled truck driver in Tennessee, the liberal couple in New England, the large family in Colorado all have sustainable lifestyles. Betty Crocker in Utah, Chicky-poo in Houston, and the dude in LA, don't.

runcible68
02-09-2012, 12:31
By J Davionic - "I agree...but that's boring to the media. I see the show as having two goals. 1 - portray "preppers" as nutjobs by focusing on people that plan to shoot their cats, bunker down for the upcoming shift in continental plates, etc. And 2 - ratings...ratings = money.

Amen brother. I'd like to see Nat Geo interview a couple of sensible preppers. If they came to my house they'd see a pantry filled with foods we dip into all the time and then replace when we go to the store. Nothing crazy: soups, rice, beans, canned fruit, tuna and jugs of water. Whenever we go to the supermarket we pick up at least one item for "The Bunker." They'd also see we've got lanterns, flashlights and lots of batteries. I wouldn't show them my guns.

Occasionally, a friend (More liberal than I) will look askance at my pantry, but I always say, "Doesn't the FEMA Department of the Obama Administration say you should have at least three days of food and some of the stuff I have?" That usually shuts them up.

cowboy1964
02-09-2012, 12:48
The three day thing is a joke. 99.9% of households probably have more than that just as a matter of course.

kirgi08
02-09-2012, 12:58
I wouldn't be so sure about that,It'll depend on ones AO.'08.

runcible68
02-09-2012, 13:05
When that hurricane came near NYC the yuppies made light of it saying, "My God, how will I get takeout now?" Of course, the hurricane didn't affect NYC so their worldview was confirmed. But when that freak ice storm hit us a month later, when the power went out for weeks in some places, lots of people were short of food and water. So yes, many people don't have the bare minimum.

blk69stang
02-09-2012, 13:24
The three day thing is a joke. 99.9% of households probably have more than that just as a matter of course.

^^^ This is laughable. Just because you and people you know are smart enough to have more than three days worth of food on hand does not mean that is the norm. My folks (recently retired) live in a small town with a grocery store 5 minutes away. They go to the grocery store multiple times a day, as do a lot of their neighbors. They will run to the grocery store an hour or so before a meal to buy what they need to make the upcoming meal. All they keep on hand is a package of lunch meat, a loaf of bread, a package of cheese, a jar of miracle whip, a gallon of milk, and a box of cheerios. THAT'S IT. I know PLENTY of people that have similar amounts of food on hand. That may last for three days, but they will be hurtin' at the end of those three days.

I don't know why they have that mentality either. (Maybe it's the socialization aspect - getting to say "hi" to their neighbors whom they see at the store). They live in northern Maine for crying out loud, they get blizzards and are regularly snowed in for days at a time; you'd think they'd know better.. They just run to the store when the snow starts falling and "stock up" to get them through. I just pray they don't get blindsided with a bigger than anticipated "crippling" type storm. They won't make it.

Personally, my preps make life easier. My wife and I hate going to the grocery store, so we decided to make big trips less often. We only buy major groceries every 3-4 months. Personally, I prefer making one $1500 trip to the store over making three $500 trips... it keeps my weekends free. All I have to do is pick up some milk and bread at the gas station while I'm filling up every couple of weeks, and the grocery situation is golden. And unless the disaster hits the day before grocery day, I'm usually in pretty good shape with $0 invested above and beyond my normal living expenses.

smokeross
02-09-2012, 14:03
When that hurricane came near NYC the yuppies made light of it saying, "My God, how will I get takeout now?" Of course, the hurricane didn't affect NYC so their worldview was confirmed. But when that freak ice storm hit us a month later, when the power went out for weeks in some places, lots of people were short of food and water. So yes, many people don't have the bare minimum.
The Government will hastily come to their rescue, for free.

cowboy1964
02-09-2012, 14:50
^^^ This is laughable. Just because you and people you know are smart enough to have more than three days worth of food on hand does not mean that is the norm.

I said "three days", not more than three days.

My only point was three days is ridiculously short. FCOL, you can go three days WITHOUT food so, technically speaking, having NO food in the house will get you through three days.

pmwglock19
02-10-2012, 08:20
The Houston should get herself a good pair of hiking boots. Its no wonder her feet hurt because of the shoes. The offer no support.

In my opnion you prep for A disaster, not a specific type. Nobody can predict which disaster will hit. Common sense prepping will cover the majority of disasters.

Huntinfool
02-10-2012, 10:43
I saw all the glaring problems with each set of preppers.

I also saw that some were way ahead of me in preps. I'm probably 1/4 ready I still need to seriously work on a few things.

I picked up a couple of tips I had never heard of before such as greasin up the eggs so they will keep unrefrigerated. I'm sure I'll pick up a couple of ideas in future programs.

I look at all reality shows as pure entertainment but the ones concerning prepping I watch hoping to pick up a tip or two.

In short my DVR is set to record future episodes and I will watch them as I find time.

~HF~

Dexters
02-10-2012, 11:23
I picked up a couple of tips I had never heard of before such as greasin up the eggs so they will keep unrefrigerated. I'm sure I'll pick up a couple of ideas in future programs.

This might be one of those tips you should research.

Egg shells are porous. Now you are putting something one them that can contain bacteria that can possibly get to the food through the shell over time or when you open it.

Is it worth the risk? I don't think so.

kirgi08
02-10-2012, 13:00
Just freeze them,that's what we do.'08.

sebecman
02-10-2012, 13:52
This might be one of those tips you should research.

Egg shells are porous. Now you are putting something one them that can contain bacteria that can possibly get to the food through the shell over time or when you open it.

Is it worth the risk? I don't think so.

People have been doing that for years. Vaseline works ok.

The best way is to have UNWASHED farm fresh eggs. They keep the longest. Eggs have a natural sealant that gets washed off during commercial production and exposes the pores that you speak of.

BORNGEARHEAD
02-10-2012, 21:55
With so much crap on tv, this show was def worth watching.

Huntinfool
02-11-2012, 02:21
People have been doing that for years. Vaseline works ok.

The best way is to have UNWASHED farm fresh eggs. They keep the longest. Eggs have a natural sealant that gets washed off during commercial production and exposes the pores that you speak of.

Thanks sebecman I was going to post the same thing. Most all my eggs do come from a neighbor and she has been doin' the whole organic type gardening for 40 years.

She told us not wash the eggs they have a coating which will keep them fresh.

Hey Dexters since you feel the need to research this subject you go right ahead. If IIRC you are a city boy and probably would be afraid to eat unpasteurized eggs and milk straight from the udder.

That's the best there is in my opinion!

~HF~

911brute
02-11-2012, 03:00
<<<--- Alaskan
I'm already prepared!!
Hunt, fish, grow, make a cabin and a controlled AO.

Ruble Noon
02-11-2012, 06:31
No more Prepping for Me - YouTube

Dexters
02-11-2012, 07:38
Thanks sebecman I was going to post the same thing. Most all my eggs do come from a neighbor and she has been doin' the whole organic type gardening for 40 years.

She told us not wash the eggs they have a coating which will keep them fresh.

Hey Dexters since you feel the need to research this subject you go right ahead. If IIRC you are a city boy and probably would be afraid to eat unpasteurized eggs and milk straight from the udder.

That's the best there is in my opinion!

~HF~

I guess you trust and believe all the things you see on TV. You do know that 'The Walking Dead' TV show is fiction right? You don't? Oh my!

How are those 'male enhancers' pills working for you.

Dexters
02-11-2012, 07:52
No more Prepping for Me - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUv9pjxq5QI&feature=uploademail)

I think he broke rule number 1 of "Prepping Club".

Never go ... and talk about it.

Full Retard - YouTube

On a serious note there is a lesson from that guy. Be cautious about who you talk to about prepping, guns and your thoughts (suicide - I'm guessing the Dr. brought up that topic). When some people hear those things; they might think you are nuts. Also, if someone want to do you harm, all they have to do is tell an authority that you are stockpiling supplies, guns and are depressed.

Huntinfool
02-11-2012, 08:47
I guess you trust and believe all the things you see on TV. You do know that 'The Walking Dead' TV show is fiction right? You don't? Oh my!

How are those 'male enhancers' pills working for you.

LOL what an idiot!!

I have researched this subject.

You can kiss where the sun don't shine Dexters!!

If you talked to me like that in person I believe I could change your mind! LOL!

You can take your male enhancer pills in stick em where the sun don't shine.

~HF~

Dexters
02-11-2012, 10:03
You can take your male enhancer pills in stick em where the sun don't shine.

~HF~

I only know about those pills from what I've seen on TV - I wouldn't buy them.

But, maybe they aren't working for you because you are putting them "where the sun don't shine" - unless you enjoy putting them there, read the directions - you probably should put them in your mouth and swallowing them.

runcible68
02-21-2012, 02:27
Say what you will about the people in Vermont, but they were the happiest, healthiest and sanest group of people we've seen on that show. The were also a hell of a lot thinner.

Sure, they don't like guns, but I'd rather hole up with them than with some of the intense and brooding wackos we've seen eating Ramen noodles in shipping containers and shooting their thumbs off.

And while they said guns didn't fit into their ethical system, the Vermonters seemed to be kind and fairly open minded people - unlike some of the rigid fringe ultraconservative knee-jerk slogan quoting yahoos in the prepping community. I could see the people in the Green Mountain state letting me into their camp and feeding me instead of blowing my head off. They understand that a strong community is the best defense in the long run. And they've got hard cider and honey.

Oh, I'd take my guns with me, of course. I'm not crazy. But if I had to spend thirty years with any of the people from Doomsday Preppers, it'd be them.

GAU-8
02-22-2012, 02:02
I watched again tonight and again enjoyed the show. I guess the rest of TV is so lame I actually look forward to seeing this show.

Am I the only one that thought Houston girl was HOT? A little chunky but she seemed like fun on a stick!

Also I suspect the part about each group stating exactly what they are prepping for is likely pushed by the producers of the show. More than likely these people are preparing for whatever but the show had them pick a particular event.

Lastly, I think it's telling that according to the "experts" the US is not in danger of a financial collapse! Ya right! Given our current course and absent major change it's an almost absolute certainty.

wildcat455
02-22-2012, 02:50
Lastly, I think it's telling that according to the "experts" the US is not in danger of a financial collapse! Ya right! Given our current course and absent major change it's an almost absolute certainty.

I agree with you, except I don't even think a major change will affect the outcome at this point. I'd just say it's an absolute certainty.

I did notice how the "Experts" said the CDC say a major pandemic is overdue and very likely... Makes me wonder what else they got up their sleeve...

cowboy1964
02-22-2012, 06:11
A "financial collapse" is one thing but trucks aren't going to stop rolling.

And the "polar axis" isn't going to shift either.

Aceman
02-22-2012, 08:39
Well, I have finally watched it a few times.

The one thing that keeps hitting home for me/my wife about this is how UN-balanced these people are in their gearing up.

For example: Pandemic woman thinks she is good to go for germs - yet the best prevention in that situation is DON'T Be out in the frickin' germs. Food/water are the best things you can have. Risking contamination is a bad bad idea and all that gear she has breeds a ver false sense of security.

And Post Apocalypse Machine Shop guy has a place that is operating on the premise that there will be power.

Then, there is little Mary Sunshine and her farm, without any weapons.

I realize that presenting a very well rounded sensible person makes for bad TV. They may all be presented in a somewhat skewed view. Still, as always, I REALLY enjoy these shows for bringing up the various issues, and letting me ask the questions if I am good to go, or if that's too much, or if I have thought of that.

By the way - Pandemic chic is a nutcase.

mac66
02-22-2012, 10:04
As I started watching the show I thought these people were a little whacky. The more I watched however I started seeing things that lead me to believe that the way the show it edited makes them look worse than they are.

For example it appears that many of these people are in business to sell survival stuff or advice. The "pandemic" woman has all that stuff stockpiled because she puts kits together and sells them. That is her business. The obsessive compulsive behavior is likely the result of the producers telling her to clean her house like she would in a pandemic. So what do we see? We see her cleaning her kitchen counters and door handles a half dozen times. The drill with her family? Set up for the cameras only.

My point is, somebody could follow you around with cameras for a week and then edit that down to make you look like anything they wanted you to look like.

sebecman
02-22-2012, 10:45
I have not seen this show but you can bet your bottom dollar that there are writers, editors and producers spinning it all into an enjoyable form of entertainment,

It's freakin TELEVISION kids...not real.

Dexters
02-22-2012, 11:45
I have not seen this show but you can bet your bottom dollar that there are writers, editors and producers spinning it all into an enjoyable form of entertainment,

It's freakin TELEVISION kids...not real.

Wow! Thanks for stopping by and telling us. I don't think anyone has said that before. We all thought it was a news story.

Man, I wish I were as smart as you!

wjv
02-22-2012, 11:47
For example: Pandemic woman thinks she is good to go for germs - yet the best prevention in that situation is DON'T Be out in the frickin' germs. Food/water are the best things you can have. Risking contamination is a bad bad idea and all that gear she has breeds a ver false sense of security.

Yup! I have a couple boxes on N95 masks and gloves, BUT you are correct. If "Captain Trips" is killing off 99% of the population, rule one is "avoid all other people". . . .

B.Reid
02-22-2012, 12:10
Wow! Thanks for stopping by and telling us. I don't think anyone has said that before. We all thought it was a news story.

Was this comment needed?

sebecman
02-22-2012, 12:12

Your welcome Sir...

....and I bet you would if you actually knew me. I am something of a prodigy.

:wavey:

mac66
02-22-2012, 12:14
Your welcome Sir...

:rofl: Here we go off the tracks again.

Dexters
02-22-2012, 12:43
Your welcome Sir...

You definitely are. And by the way you dance I can tell you know more about Zs then I do.

The Prodigy - Firestarter - YouTube

quake
02-22-2012, 12:50
The Prodigy - Firestarter - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmin5WkOuPw)

A spastic british midget, dressing himself in a desecrated american flag. Nice.

kirgi08
02-22-2012, 14:15
Manners would be enjoyable about now.'08. :upeyes:

TN.Frank
02-22-2012, 15:37
Guy from FL actually moving TO Tennessee up in the mountains and my crazy wife wants us to move back to "Gang Central", Phoenix, AZ. when we're already safe and sound here in the mountains of Tennessee. Guess I'll have to sit her down and let her watch this episode. :whistling:

Ruble Noon
02-22-2012, 17:02
A couple of things from last nights show. During the segment in which the family is moving to Tenn. from Florida, did anyone catch the pop up that said stored rice only lasts two years? One thing I noticed about Florida dude was his choice in weapons, Saiga 12 and a brace of Hi Points. :supergrin:
Then the segment on the OTR trucker should put to bed the question of carrying firearms in a semi.

TN.Frank
02-22-2012, 17:13
Yep, I did notice that he had a Hi-Point. Looked like the truck driver had one too in his hip pocket but I can't swear to it. Seems like some of these folks need to spend a bit less on food and a bit more on quality firearms. JMHO, YMMV.

Dexters
02-22-2012, 18:14
Sometimes it is the small things you notice.

The man and his wife expecting a polar shift & resulting earthquakes - they have a lot of food in glass jars on shelves - a good earthquake and all that food goes to waste.

Dexters
02-22-2012, 18:20
Sometimes it is the small things you notice.

The Tennessee man and wife expecting hyperinflation - a lot of different guns/calibers instead of a few calibers and redundant guns for those calibers. He could save some money that way.

GAU-8
02-23-2012, 00:59
I watched the show again tonight. It's was a repeat with the Texas people outside of San Antoine and the Houston Girl.

One thing I noticed is that I did not see any mention of optics for the BOB. I consider optics an essential item for bug out on foot or vehicle. For the BOB it can be a simple 8x monocular or a cheap set of compact binoculars. Either way IMO you MUST have optics to be able to see what threats and obstacles lie ahead. You want to be able to identify people at a distance and assess whether they are armed or a threat in any way. Same with the identification of obstacles or dangerous conditions up ahead. In an urban or suburban environment I would put optics ahead of a compass.

Houston girl is still hot.

Aceman
02-23-2012, 05:44
I need to see this Houston Girl - what is the episode called?

jdavionic
02-23-2012, 06:29
I need to see this Houston Girl - what is the episode called?

I wouldn't get too excited. She's about 20 lbs overweight and not what most would say is hot.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Dexters
02-23-2012, 07:08
I wouldn't get too excited. She's about 20 lbs overweight and not what most would say is hot.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Get your eyes checked out.

20 lbs overweight?

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/doomsday-preppers/meet-the-preppers-pictures/

or is it you don't prefer women - nothing wrong with that, of course.

ruffhunter
02-23-2012, 08:20
Thanks Dexters,,lololol And choosing Mexico as a bug out location! Has she not heard the news of the mass murder and drug wars down there. The Utah pandemic lady is whacked, obsessive compulsive. Living in a huge home. Looks like her family is not apart of her plans and just tolerate her to avoid the wrath. But I do enjoy the show from all points of view, different ideas and making the most within their means.

quake
02-23-2012, 08:37
...20 lbs overweight?

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/doomsday-preppers/meet-the-preppers-pictures/

Never saw the show, but just looking at that picture, I'd say jdavionic's probably pretty close; 20 lbs or so. Doesn't make her "bad", evil, disgusting, or even ugly; but if the word overweight means "more than ideal" weight from a health & fitness perspective, then yes, she's overweight. So am I (probably similar amount, too), and so are probably 90% of americans.

Watching some old news reels from 40-50 years ago - during the most prosperous times of our society, not any famine or anything - will show that what folks see as a "hot" female or "cut" male now, was just an average, healthy person back then. At least among those 35 & under, overweight was the exception by far in those days.

Heck, go back less than even 20 years. This is from a 1993 movie that I'm reminded of a lot of times I see folks out in public nowadays:
http://www.cinema.ro/media/uploads/filme_imagini/film_5142_pic_44273_big.jpg
A big part of this movie's premise was this woman being so horribly, freakishly, embarrassingly, disablingly fat, that she couldn't even show herself in public, and so her kids had to fend for themselves. How many times in any given week nowadays do we encounter people more obese than her, giving it almost no notice?

'Overweight' doesn't mean evil or bad, but it's still overweight. Not a judgment, just observation (and admission) of reality.

{edited to add quote for link reference}

Dexters
02-23-2012, 08:53
Never saw the show, but just looking at that picture, I'd say jdavionic's probably pretty close; 20 lbs or so. Doesn't make her "bad", evil, disgusting, or even ugly; but if the word overweight means "more than ideal" weight from a health & fitness perspective, then yes, she's overweight. So am I (probably similar amount, too), and so are probably 90% of americans.

What would be the ideal weight for her height & how much does she weigh?

mac66
02-23-2012, 09:59
As I said before you have to look at this show closely to see what you are getting. What appears on the surface isn't what is really happening. You see the TV "make it interesting and controversial in order to draw viewers" version. You don't really see the motivations behind the people or who they really are or why they doing what they are doing.

I've been trying to look into the people on the show. Some of them are not happy with the way they are portrayed. For example they say they were told to make all kinds of "reaction shots" gestures and faces, ie. shock, surprise, disgust etc. Those were all videoed and then inserted into the show whenever the producers wanted. Often times the reaction shots were out of context to what was actually going on in the show. Same thing with sound bites. They were given a list of stuff to say that was videoed for promotions etc. which was then edited in whenever the producers wanted. One person said there was a scene of a truck making deliveries to her house in the middle of the night. She said that never happened but the producer said it would be more dramatic so did it that way. She said they were told and scripted to do certain things only to find them used out of context or used in a way to make them look foolish or strange or silly.

Of course some people will do anything to get on TV so I can't feel too sorry for them.

quake
02-23-2012, 10:01
What would be the ideal weight for her height & how much does she weigh?

No idea. I don't know how tall she is, how large-framed (yes, that's a real factor) she is, or her genetic predispositions. I'm not trying to insult her; as I said, she's not ugly or anything. I'm somewhat overweight, my wife is somewhat overweight (26 years of putting up with me and six pregnancies later, I don't blame her either). I'm just trying to be intellectually honest and unemotional about it.

"Opsec" aside, this pic may illustrate my point:
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/quake316/preps/openhouse-editedforpublic.jpg
This was at the ribbon-cutting the local Chamber of Commerce hosted for the new building for our business. The oaf with the scissors is me. I'm big (6'3+", 50" chest, 38" sleeve), I'm strong (use 50lb dumbells regularly), and I'm fairly fit (still do physical labor & hike with a pack); but the undeniable fact is, I'm overweight; as are most of the people in the pic, and most of the people in the US nowadays.

The word "overweight" or even "fat" isn't an insult, any more than the words "thin", "tall" or "short" are insults. To a degree, it can be relative (a tall guy to me is different than a tall guy to LongGun1). But it's still just observation, not insult.

Dexters
02-23-2012, 15:42
No idea. I don't know how tall she is, how large-framed (yes, that's a real factor) she is, or her genetic predispositions. I'm not trying to insult her; as I said, she's not ugly or anything. I'm somewhat overweight, my wife is somewhat overweight (26 years of putting up with me and six pregnancies later, I don't blame her either). I'm just trying to be intellectually honest and unemotional about it.

I just got back from a 60mi bike ride that I do regularly - and I can still stand to loose 15 lbs.

The woman in DP is not overweight, nor is the woman in your picture on the far right, for example.

I think women are represented in advertisement, TV etc, they should have the body shape of a prepubescent boy.

quake
02-23-2012, 17:18
I just got back from a 60mi bike ride that I do regularly - and I can still stand to loose 15 lbs...

Not to beat a dead horse, and it may just be a difference in semantics. But I assume (correct me if wrong) that by: "can still stand to lose 15lbs", you mean "should lose 15lbs". If that's the case, that "should lose" is where I get the "over" weight conclusion.

Again, no insult intended; I've already said I'm overweight - as in "should" lose probably 20 pounds, possibly more. (I won't know until I lose the 20, and see where that leaves me health- and energy-wise, and I'm actually in the process of losing it now. That pic is from last year and I'm slightly lighter now; probably 13-15 lbs or so.)

May genuinely just be a semantics thing, but by accepting that I can stand to lose ~20 lbs, that kind of means I 'should'. And if I should lose 20 lbs, that by definition means I'm 20 lbs 'over' what I should be.

Regardless, no offense meant; just trying to clarify. :wavey:

{edit - Fwiw, I completely agree with you on the ridiculous Olive Oyl template that's the rage. It's idiotic, unhealthy, and unattractive imo. Women are intended to have curves. Some of the supermodels (& others) nowadays look like you'd cut yourself if you touched them; who wants that..? If a person wants a woman who's built like a 12-year-old boy (or girl), that makes me leery of leaving them around 12-year-old boys & girls; but that's just me. I appreciate women; I'm too old for girls. :cool: }

Dexters
02-23-2012, 17:42
Not to beat a dead horse, and it may just be a difference in semantics. But I assume (correct me if wrong) that by: "can still stand to lose 15lbs", you mean "should lose 15lbs". If that's the case, that "should lose" is where I get the "over" weight conclusion.

First, congrats on your new building - it is great to see people hiring people.

I don't really need to drop 15lbs - I just wanted you to feel better about your obesity problem and say get your fat butt on a bike!*

*Only joking.

jdavionic
02-25-2012, 21:34
Get your eyes checked out.

20 lbs overweight?

or is it you don't prefer women - nothing wrong with that, of course.

Nothing like making an ass out yourself. She's overweight. Not by a lot, but she's overweight. She claimed to workout hours each day, 5 days a week. Either she eats a ton, or she's exaggerating.

Guys prefer women of all shapes and sizes. Apparently you like them a little overweight. Good for you.

P.S. I agree that the twigs you see modeling, etc are not appealing either. Likewise, the amazon muscle women are not appealing either. There's a happy median. This gal was being portrayed as some 'hot prepper'. I just think that's not an accurate description of her.

jdavionic
02-25-2012, 21:47

In the show, you can see she's got some extra fat in several places. With that said, she's certainly not fat. I just wouldn't consider her "hot".

When she said that she worked out so much, I just about spit out my drink. My youngest daughter is a high level gymnast that works out 5 hrs per day, 5 days per week. She has to in order to compete at her level. Her body fat is extremely low.

Not saying that's the way women should look, but just citing that this girl on Doomsday is full of crap...and yes, just a little overweight too.

jdavionic
02-25-2012, 21:51
I found the trucker couple to be doomed. I just don't see how you can survive in an 18 wheeler during an SHTF scenario. I did think it was admirable that they wanted to help serve a role in restoring the country by banding with other truckers. However I would expect truckers will not have a lot of materials to move in a crisis...and those that do move materials will be a prime target.

emt1581
02-25-2012, 23:47
I do not get the NG channel...are these episodes online anywhere?

From the clips I've seen posted in this thread and on the NG site, this show looks to range from either somewhat realistic to laughable.

The gal in the apartment that plans to kill her cats and walk out of the city...good luck with that!

The farmer and his son with the bird feeders and tomahawks... not sure what to say about that one.

No one really seems to have a well-rounded plan. It's like they went through PART of the process but left out a lot of day to day stuff or one or two crucial components.

I'm kinda glad. I mean I'd rather have preppers portrayed like this. Keeps them laughable rather than something serious to consider flocking to.

In any case, I'm glad I didn't jump to subscribe...

EDIT: Does anyone seem like a good example worth seeing the layout of? Anyone seem college educated or at least better off mentally than the cat lady with the stripper pole?

-Emt1581

GAU-8
02-26-2012, 16:32
Houston Girl: Assessment

Hotness, IMO, can't really be weighed. She is in decent shape and has a fun personality. No she is not a bean pole model girl. That said keep in mind it's a known fact that a camera adds 5-10lbs or so to a person. I can tell from experience that she's a lot trimmer and fit than most realize. As far as her apparent weight and her workout schedule I can say for a fact that you CAN'T tell the level of physical fitness or how much a person trains by the appearance of body fat. Don't believe me? Take a look at the bodies of many pro athletes. They often look over weight like her or worse but they could literally wipe the floor with most any "ideal weight", physically fit, person that posters have in their heads.

Edit: I'm not trying to convince anyone she's hot as I agree most would likely think not. What I am saying is that it's a major mistake to look at someone built like her and figure that person is not physically fit or not much of an opponent or whatever. You can't tell much by the appearance of a few extra pounds.

Contact
02-26-2012, 17:26
I took what some of them were saying for what they were worth: An extremists opinion on what may cause TEOTWAWKI.

I was on board with what some of them were saying, right up to the point where the one guy shot his own thumb off, another said she was going to kill her cat (if you're not bringing them with you, why not just let them loose?), and a third proudly boasted how she was going to be the only one left with 100lbs left to lose.

When the guy shot his thumb off, it was that moment he lost his ability to tell me how to prepare my family for survival.

GAU-8
02-26-2012, 18:30
I took what some of them were saying for what they were worth: An extremists opinion on what may cause TEOTWAWKI.

I was on board with what some of them were saying, right up to the point where the one guy shot his own thumb off, another said she was going to kill her cat (if you're not bringing them with you, why not just let them loose?), and a third proudly boasted how she was going to be the only one left with 100lbs left to lose.

When the guy shot his thumb off, it was that moment he lost his ability to tell me how to prepare my family for survival.

Agree: why would you shoot a cat? Cats, unlike dogs can feed themselves somewhat. You could just get a feeder and fill it up. They cat will take care of the rest and when it runs out the cat may have found another source of food. Just let them go.

Not sure about the guy shooting his thumb. He seems to be a pretty smart and enterprising guy as it takes a lot to bring a product like the "Crovel" to market. (they have a website also). So was it just freak chance that he had an accident on camera? I mean, none of us are perfect and at anytime could screw up with a firearm. We do all we can to minimize the chance but it still can happen. Was it just dumb luck this happened to him while filming? OR could it have been the extreme distraction of filming a TV show that caused him to make a terrible mistake? How many of us have been on a range with our kids while a TV crew was filming? I'm not making excuses but just what are the odds of this happening? He seemed fairly knowledgeable. Maybe there's something to be learned here also.

Contact
02-26-2012, 19:52
I

Agree: why would you shoot a cat? Cats, unlike dogs can feed themselves somewhat. You could just get a feeder and fill it up. They cat will take care of the rest and when it runs out the cat may have found another source of food. Just let them go.

Not sure about the guy shooting his thumb. He seems to be a pretty smart and enterprising guy as it takes a lot to bring a product like the "Crovel" to market. (they have a website also). So was it just freak chance that he had an accident on camera? I mean, none of us are perfect and at anytime could screw up with a firearm. We do all we can to minimize the chance but it still can happen. Was it just dumb luck this happened to him while filming? OR could it have been the extreme distraction of filming a TV show that caused him to make a terrible mistake? How many of us have been on a range with our kids while a TV crew was filming? I'm not making excuses but just what are the odds of this happening? He seemed fairly knowledgeable. Maybe there's something to be learned here also.

I guess I just wasn't too happy with yet another self proclaimed "expert/authority" on something gun related shooting himself, and then on top of that he claimed that the gun was the one that suffered the malfunction. I need to know exactly which malfunction causes you to place your thumb in front of the barrel.

My estimation is that if he was as truly prepared as he wanted the crowd to believe, and trained with his guns as much as he says he does, it would have been second nature to always keep the firearm pointed in a safe direction, and if a malfunction were to occur, handle it with a sense of safety, instead of shooting himself and blaming the weapon for malfunctioning.

He probably is a very good prepper, but I'd bet he's closer to your average father when it comes to firearms training, and just takes them out a couple times a month, or every other month to shoot, and all the additional crew caused him to lose his focus.

kalifornia
02-26-2012, 22:04
I liked when she said after a few months she might have to whore herself out.

GAU-8
02-26-2012, 23:57
To all that have been curious about Houston girl Megan Hurwitt. Please read the interview at this link. I think it will answer a lot of questions about what was seen in her spot on Doomsday Preppers.

She answers the cat question. The why "oil crisis" is what she's prepping for question and much more. This is enlightening about the show. I still like the show but you MUST look through this in the "this is a TV show" mindset.

Still think she's HOT!

I'm not sure how to post this link but here go's

http://freethoughtblogs.com/rockbeyondbelief/2012/02/08/how-nat-geo-misrepresented-the-foxhole-atheist-doomsday-prepper-megan-hurwitt/

Dexters
02-27-2012, 06:44
Still think she's HOT!

OMG man! you must have some sort of perverted sense of what is hot - she is HUGE, I mean fork lift to get out of bed Huge. We could end the oil shortage by hooking her up to a liposuction machine.

Seek professional help!

GAU-8
02-27-2012, 08:24
she is HUGE, I mean fork lift to get out of bed Huge.

You're just scared cause you know she'd toss you around like a rag doll!

lol

kirgi08
02-27-2012, 09:13
:animlol:

Lone Kimono
03-27-2012, 22:07
I just watched the second episode. Can you really store eggs for 8 months using mineral oil? What kind of wax would you dip cheese in to store it for 25 years? Does that only work for cheddar?

Lowdown3
03-28-2012, 07:38
I'd be surprised if they paid them much, if anything at all. In general they dont pay, people still do it for the 5 minutes of fame. There's plenty would be survivalist and preppers willing to do it. They end up looking like fools, and a producer just got 30 minutes of "entertainment" without spending a dime. That's why you see so many "reality" tv shows, its just SO much cheaper than actually doing real TV the old way.
As for the prepper show, 90% is just stupid, poor advice, people that clearly have no idea of what they are doing. My favorite part was when the lady says she learned to communicate with her husnband during a home invasion using morse code becuase she picked that up from ... ... "Charly's Angels". After that perl of wisdom I realized those were 5 minutes of my live I would never get back and stopped wasting my time. :dunno:
FerFAL

Come on man, don't you know Charlie's Angels Combatives are the bomb? Sheezzz ;)

That gal was an interesting study- watch the extremely perturbed look she has when her beat down hubby dared to speak before she did near the end.

The camera people and editors are extremely good at catching and using the right facial expressions, angles of shots etc. at just the right time. Look at pretty much every shot/scene involving a child on that show. Worse one IMO was the family from Jax leaving Florida to TN because of the "polar shift." I've been preparing for 26 year and the "polar shift" thing alludes me :upeyes: Anywhoo, they used the scenes of the kids crying and upset about moving and then the mother's stupid "well if we stay in Florida we will be bobbing around like bowling pins when the shift happens."

COME THE FLIP ON PEOPLE! What a stupid thing to say on TV.

Does anyone really think crap like that is going to "help" the movement?

And actually everyone does get paid. We were contacted years ago by a couple of producers/TV shows. Some anonymously. ALL offered money. Some went the "a chance to promote yourself on national TV" route. Thanks but no thanks.

I said from the very beginning that if people expected the media to portray survivalists in a (truly) good light, they were dreaming.

Also said the worse thing that could come of this was new people seeing some ..... person... that had no long term experience in this showing some bogus ideas and think the idea was good because "it was on TV." Sure enuff, you see the ridiculous arse handwarmers in food thing right off the bat :upeyes: and the chubby lady on the original one with the soda pop bottles for storing food :wow: Had either of these people been at it LONG TERM they would have realized by now these aren't viable LONG TERM methods.

And to be clear, I don't mean "five years" as long term.

Suffice to say if I'm somewhere with regular TV and it's on, I watch it. Their have been a few good folks on there with long term experience like Bones Evers, Chris Nyerges, etc. Most of the rest are new people playing "expert" and/or people promoting their products ("skatchet" guy that shot himself, chubby charlie angel, etc.).

Lowdown3
03-28-2012, 07:52
A couple of things from last nights show. During the segment in which the family is moving to Tenn. from Florida, did anyone catch the pop up that said stored rice only lasts two years? One thing I noticed about Florida dude was his choice in weapons, Saiga 12 and a brace of Hi Points. :supergrin:
Then the segment on the OTR trucker should put to bed the question of carrying firearms in a semi.

Yep :yawn:

Too bad we showcased 17 year old rice on video on youtube years ago to prove stupid ***** like this wrong.

BTW, up till a few years ago that WAS the "according to the analytical chart commandos" answer to how long rice would store. I remember a well loved "faq" that said that exact thing not that long ago....

More good info from that show, chalk it up with handwarmers in food storage and soda pop bottles for long term food storage.

THE BLIND LEADING THE BLIND and both parties thinking they are making real progress.

Lowdown3

sebecman
03-28-2012, 10:12
I watched this last night because I heard there was a guy from Maine on it. What a joke. He lives in Augusta, which is our capitol city and they show him in the woods behind his very residential house in a very residential hood.

He is acting like he is in the middle of nowwhere, dressing in buckskins and drinking water squeezed from moss. I laughed out loud at that. There is so much water in Maine that you can virtually throw a rock in any direction and hit some. No need to be drinking from moss..:upeyes:

The icing on the cake was when the narrator said that winter tempatures in Maine usually reach 50 below zero. That's major BS, rarely that will happen in Northern Maine but not in Augusta which is close to the coast.

It's like the narrator on Swamp People saying how they just landed an "800 pound monster" and they show the guys lifting it into the skiff...Sorry but I have been on moose hunts and I know what 800 pounds of dead animal feels like...

FireForged
03-28-2012, 10:18
What is sad is that each and every time... the producers of this show- seem to edit and present each prepper as a goof ball. Watch the way they show the short segmented clips and odd background music. Like the heavy fellow who they show in cartoonish-fast clips clearing his property with the M1a/M14 looking rifle. They always show clips of odd facial expressions that do not seem to match the commentary. Look for it next time... you will see what I am talking about.

Protus
03-28-2012, 12:49
Most of the rest are new people playing "expert" and/or people promoting their products ("skatchet" guy that shot himself, chubby charlie angel, etc.).

This is what ive found/seen etc.
Some newb wants to promote their product -Book,tool,blog,store.
So they plug away, and hope to rake in some cash from it.
Hell look at mr. i blew my thumb off.
His 6ft tall alice packs? Dude, you aint humped that ruck any distance, if you did you wouldnt be carrying a 5-15lb tool ( what was it he said ohh it used to be 45lbs of tool ,,now its 5). Megan from Tx, said this on some other forums.
NEWB. Yeah you made some cash, and you made yourself look like a tool when you said " your doing it to teach folks.."!
Teach them what, HOW not to pack a pack ! Plain as day you never humped a ruck!
Handwarmers.....soda bottles and spam. WOW.

Im sure next season they have some show like this or the same one, with someone pimping a book or store.More than likely someone trying to ride that profit wave.what is that called fear mongering ?

The feared object or subject is sometimes exaggerated, and the pattern of fear mongering is usually one of repetition, in order to continuously reinforce the intended effects

Maybe next time we'll see potatoe chip and party balloon's being used for LTS, and more hi points and 3 toed ninja shoes.......and aliens from zanadu with polar shifting halburton weather machines.

Lone Kimono
03-28-2012, 21:35
I'm watching the episode where the guy has 50 gallons of gas in his garage. He better hope his house never burns down because his insurance company may not pay out because of it.

I liked those newspaper fuel bricks he constructed. I live in a desert so trees are few and far between. I'd love to learn how to make those if anyone knows how.

kirgi08
03-28-2012, 23:10
Always store fuel away from buildings.'08.

pugman
03-29-2012, 04:52
I'm watching the episode where the guy has 50 gallons of gas in his garage. He better hope his house never burns down because his insurance company may not pay out because of it.

I liked those newspaper fuel bricks he constructed. I live in a desert so trees are few and far between. I'd love to learn how to make those if anyone knows how.

I believe he was only using shreaded newspaper and leaves with water; water will release some of the glue type tendencies in newspaper which is nothing but wood pulp.

I have friends who have also used sawdust or even cardboard

Friends who have tried is said the key is to have a good maker which will allow you to apply enough pressure to press most of the water out. I've been told its this easy.

Rip paper into strips 1 to 2 inches in width. Cut or tear cardboard into small pieces 2 inches across. Tearing the paper into small pieces will make it absorb water more quickly and allow you to compress it more effectively.

Put the paper in a bucket, and pour in enough water to cover it completely. Allow it to soak overnight.

Place a fire brick maker beside the bucket of paper pulp someplace you won't mind getting wet, such as on top of a picnic table outside.

Scoop the paper pulp out of the bucket and into a fire brick maker. Fill the fire brick maker completely with the paper.

Press down on top of the maker as hard as you can to compress the brick and squeeze out some of the water.

Open the brick maker, and gently slide the brick out onto the picnic table. Repeat Steps 4 through 6 until you have used up all of your paper pulp.

Leave the bricks somewhere warm and dry to dry out for at least three weeks. During the summer, a patio or screened porch is ideal.

However, in today's age, search youtube on bio fuel bricks or something similiar and I'm sure someone has a video on it

Lone Kimono
03-29-2012, 09:36
Thank you, pugman!!!

DrSticky
03-29-2012, 09:52
All of the BS and spin aside, I like the show. Most of the folks are crazy about one scenario, and if they aren't the producers are trying to push that agenda because it gets viewers.

What I like about it, and I have said it before, it gets the conversation going with my friends and family and helps us think outside of the box. It is similar to how I view this website. While some of the stuff on here is nuts, some of it applies to me and my situation.

SGT HATRED
03-30-2012, 03:05
I just saw the episode with the M35 duce and a half. Having a vehicle that runs on multiple fuels is very interesting. If anyone has knowledg or experience with the M35 or a multifule engine, it would be cool to hear.

The M35A2 is popularly powered by a LDT 465 engine, made by either*Continental Motors Company
,*Hercules
, or*White Motor Company
. It is an in-line, 478-cubic-inch (7.8 L), 6 cylinder,turbocharged
*multifuel
*engine developing 134*bhp (100*kW) and 330 pound force-feet (447*N∑m) oftorque
. This is coupled with a 5-speed manual transmission and divorced 2-speed transfer case (either a*sprag
-operated transfer case*Rockwell
*136-21 or air-operated selectable transfer case Rockwell 136-27). Multifuel engines are designed to operate reliably on a wide variety of fuels, to include diesel fuel, jet fuel, kerosene, heating oil or gasoline. Gasoline should only be used in an emergency because it does not properly lubricate the injector pump. While using gasoline, common practice calls for the addition of at least 1 U.S. quart of clean motor oil per 15 U.S. gallons of gasoline (1*imp*qt/13*imp*gal; 1 L/60 L) for proper pump lubrication where available

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q37/Merlin-X/4022539415_19340da1d5_z.jpg

TangoFoxtrot
03-30-2012, 04:47
I my 22 years in the Army the worse ride in a vehicle was in the M-35. Not only did the steering s***, but the seats were as hard as a rock. I didn't miss them when they took M-35's out of our inventory.

SGT HATRED
03-30-2012, 12:38
Well in a SHTF situation being comfortable won't be too high on the list. Being able to run on basically an unlimited fuel source would seem to outweigh the negatives.

TangoFoxtrot
04-05-2012, 04:56
This weeks episode was hilarious. The guy in the desert flight suit was the best. He looked mildly retarted. The kids really seemed to have issues only a phyicologist could help them with. The mother should be beaten with a bat for letting her kids be put through that. Bug stew come on now!! That is just plan child abuse by normal standards.

That family also had hygene issues. If you filtered all their heads of hair you could change the oil in a least 3 cars. They all looked like they haven't showered in weeks.

Where did the producers find theses freaks?

Protus
04-05-2012, 06:28
This weeks episode was hilarious. The guy in the desert flight suit was the best. He looked mildly retarted. The kids really seemed to have issues only a phyicologist could help them with. The mother should be beaten with a bat for letting her kids be put through that. Bug stew come on now!! That is just plan child abuse by normal standards.

That family also had hygene issues. If you filtered all their heads of hair you could change the oil in a least 3 cars. They all looked like they haven't showered in weeks.

Me and my wife watched that eps. last night.
Eating bugs, while kinda odd/strange/gross factor here in the USA, is pretty common in a ton of other countries around the world.
But, if you notice, his kids were on board and OK with what they were doing,so was the wife. From digging grubs, to shooting, to eating "different" things, to even saying it is better to be prepared.
I can not fault the guy for having his family 100% on board with what he is doing.Not many in internet land can claim the same...nor can half the people on the show it's self ( how many wives etc did we see jumping for joy to be on TV....besides fatty gourmet girl pimping her business's)
Now their BOV..well the shag wagon ambulance kinda made me go wtf though...

The lady who came on after them near helena mt. was a ton more off her rocker imho.Her husband made me laugh, but least he was cool with it...but she's a hoarder for sure..mento's between soup cans...disaster waiting to happen.
The 65+ yr old guy, i give him major props. One for losing 90lbs in 2 years, walking each day with his ruck and trying to educate his neighbors and wife more. He was also the only one with balls enough to admit " im new to this" Unlike many of the newbs on there who are trying to come off like they have been at it for 20 yrs.

They find the people on the web.
Some forums last year sent mass emails out to all of their members to apply. They scoured the Prep conference that was held in NC this last year and at the end of every episode they have contact info for people to send in applications to be on it. A close buddy of mine was there, he called me to tell me about what kind of people he saw lined up to chat with the girl doing the interviews. It was comical at best.
Heck there used to be some funny youtube entries as well where folks posted up their "about me" in order to get on the show.
I honestly think they take whoever will make good TV,with a few real deal folks tossed in for measure. which seems to only be 1% of those people shown.Words getting out that they are paying people to be on..so expect more newbs and more crazies.

Im just happy to not see someone self promoting and pimping their wares on the last few shows( fatty gormet girl, mr. i blew my thumb off ,Mr. give me 500k to live in an un-finished construction site silo etc). If anything that drives me NOT to want to buy their product.

its entertainment so i watch it with that in mind.

Lampshade
04-05-2012, 07:19

You sound rather butt hurt.

PS, now might be a good time to learn that "retard" is spelled with a D, lest you make yourself look like a moron.

Wil Ufgood
04-05-2012, 07:30

PS, now might be a good time to learn that "retard" is spelled with a D, lest you make yourself look like a moron.

Hoe Kay eye Yam Sofa King We Tar Dead :rofl:

mac66
04-05-2012, 07:39
The thing that bothers me is when they take their kids and/or wives out with a bunch of different guns and have them plink away at stuff. I know that most of us probably have been taught that way but it is shame that they have not had any formal training to start.

When I see that, my brain just screams "Get those people to an Appleseed and teach them to shoot". The thing is that it is free or nearly free for kids under 21 and women.

I'd been shooting for 40+ years and was a pretty good shot. I went to Appleseed and learned so much that I was amazed. I saw little kids next to me on the line go from never having touched a rifle before to slinging up, shooting standing, sitting and prone. Heck, they were hitting little targets under timed fire and doing it safely, confidently and competently. I was absolutely blown away.

I saw one little 12 year old girl who had never fired a gun before, progress in one day from shooting the COF with a 10/22 at 25 meters to going over to the 200 yard line and put 10 shots in a row on 20" steel with an Ar15 prone with only a loop sling as support.

Bren
04-05-2012, 07:48
I believe he was only using shreaded newspaper and leaves with water; water will release some of the glue type tendencies in newspaper which is nothing but wood pulp.

I have friends who have also used sawdust or even cardboard

Friends who have tried is said the key is to have a good maker which will allow you to apply enough pressure to press most of the water out. I've been told its this easy.

Rip paper into strips 1 to 2 inches in width. Cut or tear cardboard into small pieces 2 inches across. Tearing the paper into small pieces will make it absorb water more quickly and allow you to compress it more effectively.

Put the paper in a bucket, and pour in enough water to cover it completely. Allow it to soak overnight.

Place a fire brick maker beside the bucket of paper pulp someplace you won't mind getting wet, such as on top of a picnic table outside.

Scoop the paper pulp out of the bucket and into a fire brick maker. Fill the fire brick maker completely with the paper.

Press down on top of the maker as hard as you can to compress the brick and squeeze out some of the water.

Open the brick maker, and gently slide the brick out onto the picnic table. Repeat Steps 4 through 6 until you have used up all of your paper pulp.

Leave the bricks somewhere warm and dry to dry out for at least three weeks. During the summer, a patio or screened porch is ideal.

However, in today's age, search youtube on bio fuel bricks or something similiar and I'm sure someone has a video on it

Seems like some old magazine, when I was a youngster, like Boys Life or Ranger Rick, said to soak the newspapers in water, then roll them tightly and tie them with string and let them dry.

glockeglock
04-05-2012, 11:19

racerford
04-05-2012, 13:27
This is not true. The insurance company would pay. As my friend the Pemco Insurance adjust says, "Yes, insurance pays when you're stupid. That's what it's for and the primary reason for most claims."

However, some cities have fire codes/ordinances that limit the amount of fuel that can be stored not in your car's gas tanks.

glockeglock
04-05-2012, 13:41

glockeglock
04-05-2012, 13:48

racerford
04-05-2012, 15:03
Very true and for good reason and one should never do it. However, that has nothing to do with whether the insurance company would pay.

Most jurisdictions have laws against running red lights...yet the insurance company would pay for the damage if their insured was *stupid enough* to run one. Being *stupid* is legally called "negligence," being *really, really stupid* is called "gross negligence" and being *super, ridiculously stupid* is called "recklessness." All three things are acts for which insurance companies definitely pay. In fact, one reason we buy insurance is to protect ourselves and others in the case of our own negligence or recklessness.

Otherwise, the insurance companies could just always claim the insured "acted stupidly" and never pay a dime. :)

Sorry, I do mean to imply tany to the contrary about insurance coverage. I was merly pointing out that beyond the insurance coverage issue, there is a legality issue.

If your house were on fire and you were storing 100 gallons of fuel in plastic tanks, and the law said no more than 5 gallons were allowed to be stored, one you could be ticketed after the fire, or before if someone turned you in. Also, if the burning fuel aggravated the fire and caused a neighbors property to catch fire, you could be liable for their loss due to you gross negligence, due to your willful and blantant disreguard for the law.

The fire department may not go in if they hear "he's got a lot of fuel stored in there", Just like they have at house thought to contain lot's reloading supplies and "explosives". They just contain it and fight from the outside.

TangoFoxtrot
04-06-2012, 06:17

Yeah Ok.... the moron is now the spelling police of the internet forum. :upeyes: ...Butt hurt? Sounds like you have something else on your mind sweety!:eric: I'm not interested.

TangoFoxtrot
04-06-2012, 06:29
Me and my wife watched that eps. last night.
Eating bugs, while kinda odd/strange/gross factor here in the USA, is pretty common in a ton of other countries around the world.
But, if you notice, his kids were on board and OK with what they were doing,so was the wife. From digging grubs, to shooting, to eating "different" things, to even saying it is better to be prepared.
I can not fault the guy for having his family 100% on board with what he is doing.Not many in internet land can claim the same...nor can half the people on the show it's self ( how many wives etc did we see jumping for joy to be on TV....besides fatty gourmet girl pimping her business's)
Now their BOV..well the shag wagon ambulance kinda made me go wtf though...

The lady who came on after them near helena mt. was a ton more off her rocker imho.Her husband made me laugh, but least he was cool with it...but she's a hoarder for sure..mento's between soup cans...disaster waiting to happen.
The 65+ yr old guy, i give him major props. One for losing 90lbs in 2 years, walking each day with his ruck and trying to educate his neighbors and wife more. He was also the only one with balls enough to admit " im new to this" Unlike many of the newbs on there who are trying to come off like they have been at it for 20 yrs.

They find the people on the web.
Some forums last year sent mass emails out to all of their members to apply. They scoured the Prep conference that was held in NC this last year and at the end of every episode they have contact info for people to send in applications to be on it. A close buddy of mine was there, he called me to tell me about what kind of people he saw lined up to chat with the girl doing the interviews. It was comical at best.
Heck there used to be some funny youtube entries as well where folks posted up their "about me" in order to get on the show.
I honestly think they take whoever will make good TV,with a few real deal folks tossed in for measure. which seems to only be 1% of those people shown.Words getting out that they are paying people to be on..so expect more newbs and more crazies.

Im just happy to not see someone self promoting and pimping their wares on the last few shows( fatty gormet girl, mr. i blew my thumb off ,Mr. give me 500k to live in an un-finished construction site silo etc). If anything that drives me NOT to want to buy their product.

its entertainment so i watch it with that in mind.

Now back to the unrude people of the forum. I agree with you to a point Protus. Teach the kids what to eat and how to find and prepare it. Teach them other aspects of survival, but they are still kinds and I think the parents are too excessive, just let them be kids and as the parents you will protect them. Yes I think the others were strange as well. Your also correct, the show is for entertainment purposes.

Protus
04-06-2012, 14:45
Now back to the unrude people of the forum. I agree with you to a point Protus. Teach the kids what to eat and how to find and prepare it. Teach them other aspects of survival, but they are still kinds and I think the parents are too excessive, just let them be kids and as the parents you will protect them. Yes I think the others were strange as well. Your also correct, the show is for entertainment purposes.

true, but in a way you have to expose your kids to what may happen. Ive had my lil one out camping since 3 months old. She does day hikes now even in our summer heat. Until i got injured she would have had 2-3 over night hikes under her belt already ( and she's only 6). Ive had her try shooting her 22lr, eatinga nd trying certain mre's, our LTS preps , dehydrated foods we make etc. All so when the time comes it isnt such a "shock".
While the bugs may be excessive, it isnt all that crazy ( ive eaten ants while on forum hikes and grubs LOL ).
My poin tis , unless you keep an open mind and try ot teach/give them the same outlook , you'll end up like the tons of others who constantly post such threads as " how do i get my xxx on board..."
Our kids are no different.
and again....yeah..bugs is alil out there when he has the means for other food preps to count on LOL

TangoFoxtrot
04-07-2012, 08:12
Exposure is good, but we agree that the bugs were a bit much.:supergrin:

Dexters
04-07-2012, 08:58
Exposure is good, but we agree that the bugs were a bit much.:supergrin:

They shouldn't go straight to bugs.

Start with rats, cats and dogs. But, handling/skinning those animals can be dangerous as they can carry many insects that can transmit diseases that in a SHTF situation could be deadly or at least make you life uncomfortable.

Protus
04-07-2012, 09:50
They shouldn't go straight to bugs.

Start with rats, cats and dogs. But, handling/skinning those animals can be dangerous as they can carry many insects that can transmit diseases that in a SHTF situation could be deadly or at least make you life uncomfortable.

as do any wild animals. But as long as your not licking your fingers after you pull the critters guts out ( or have open wounds) you can pretty much not sweat it, and so as not to confuse anyone, washing up after wards is key.
Then again...i bare fist it.....maybe thats why i am how i am...to many hands inside another critters gut box..:supergrin:

Dexters
04-07-2012, 10:07
as do any wild animals. But as long as your not licking your fingers after you pull the critters guts out ( or have open wounds) you can pretty much not sweat it, and so as not to confuse anyone, washing up after wards is key.
Then again...i bare fist it.....maybe thats why i am how i am...to many hands inside another critters gut box..:supergrin:

I was thinking more about ticks, fleas, and lice, some of which can transmit serious disease.

Protus
04-07-2012, 12:38
I was thinking more about ticks, fleas, and lice, some of which can transmit serious disease.

wouldnt worry to much about ticks for the most part.All the dead critters ive had to clean, they are the least thing to worry about unless your taking the hide and wrapping your melon in it.

Dexters
04-07-2012, 13:32
wouldnt worry to much about ticks for the most part.All the dead critters ive had to clean, they are the least thing to worry about unless your taking the hide and wrapping your melon in it.

http://www.cdc.gov/ticks/diseases/

Protus
04-07-2012, 15:15
http://www.cdc.gov/ticks/diseases/

again...all the deer and hogs ive cleaned ticks were the least of my worries. They just dont jump off like fleas , straight to your jugular trying to suck you dry... ..or to be less dramatic bite you....unless your a retard that doesnt know where to check for ticks , because youve never stepped foot outdoors for any real length of time(because when you do you'll get a tick eventually) ...either way, like i said the 1st time, they just dont climb on you when dressing an animal ....

or are you just trying to troll up a fight...

look their jumping on me at 84F....ohh god get them off me...look there's one mid air...
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n123/SOSprotus/DEER/PB190013.jpg
i could hardly hold the camera still because they were crawling all over me....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/protus/hunting1108003.jpg

anyway you better start preaching CWD to folks while your at sending CDC links down the way....

Dexters
04-07-2012, 17:29
or are you just trying to troll up a fight...

Not all replies are for you.

Some are for the people who might be confused and think that you know what you are talking about.

Protus
04-07-2012, 20:52
Not all replies are for you.

Some are for the people who might be confused and think that you know what you are talking about.

some talk from experience vs just linking to the CDC....

TangoFoxtrot
04-11-2012, 04:51
Last nights couple Gary and his girlfriend Pink...Yes Pink. Their plan wasn't too bad but now that they aired the location of their home built garage bunker (located under the garage floor), they just ruined their op-sec. They will have folks raid their garage and they will be trapped inside the bunker. Most of their supplies are in the garage.

Protus
04-11-2012, 16:41
Last nights couple Gary and his girlfriend Pink...Yes Pink. Their plan wasn't too bad but now that they aired the location of their home built garage bunker (located under the garage floor), they just ruined their op-sec. They will have folks raid their garage and they will be trapped inside the bunker. Most of their supplies are in the garage.

is this episode the one where a guy drinks his piss after trying to filter it through a pump filter ( they didnt show what brand) and then drink it.....

TangoFoxtrot
04-12-2012, 04:22
is this episode the one where a guy drinks his piss after trying to filter it through a pump filter ( they didnt show what brand) and then drink it.....

Yes, The guy with the beard who lives in Campbell Kansas. They were on right after the people I spoke of.

Protus
04-12-2012, 05:10
Yes, The guy with the beard who lives in Campbell Kansas. They were on right after the people I spoke of.

yeah i wont get it on demand for a few days....you catch what kind of filter they were using..im curious...as the stuff they drank looked "pissy" still. but then again..the guy was pissing carrot juice on the preview,.... but if Bear can do it with out a filter LMAO

Protus
04-13-2012, 05:32
So a vintage PUR ( aka katadyn hiker) will make your piss safe to drink........

Donn57
04-13-2012, 11:23

You don't need a filter to make it safe to drink. It isn't toxic.

Protus
04-13-2012, 12:20
You don't need a filter to make it safe to drink. It isn't toxic.

I'll meet ya on the beach after work and poor you a pissycolda then and we can watch the sunset together :supergrin:

while it may not be "toxic" , i wouldnt want to rely solely on urine as a "back up" water source in the sense of how it was portrayed on the show.....It has its pro's and con's.

TangoFoxtrot
04-16-2012, 04:58

I don't think so!

Donn57
04-16-2012, 06:38
I'll meet ya on the beach after work and poor you a pissycolda then and we can watch the sunset together :supergrin:

while it may not be "toxic" , i wouldnt want to rely solely on urine as a "back up" water source in the sense of how it was portrayed on the show.....It has its pro's and con's.

Not toxic, thus safe to drink without filtering. I never said it was a viable backup water source, sole or otherwise, or that it should even be considered as a backup water source, only that unfiltered urine is safe to drink.

sebecman
04-16-2012, 07:46
IMHO - urine is waste. It left your body for a reason and should not be put back in. Sure it's sterile and safe to drink but you are going to lose more water in reprocessing the waste than you will gain from the urine.

No maybe if you ran it thru a solar still or something to get just the H20 out, maybe.

DrSticky
04-16-2012, 13:00

+1 on the shattered OpSec. You could tell they didn't want their suburb released because they didn't say it, but the boat was in walking distance from the Puget Sound and there are 134,500 (or something like that) people living in this "suburb" so that narrows down where in Washington it is.

I did think that garage bunker was cool. I wish I could dig out my garage. I bet the city permit office will flip if they find out.

B.Reid
04-16-2012, 14:18
+1 on the shattered OpSec. You could tell they didn't want their suburb released because they didn't say it, but the boat was in walking distance from the Puget Sound and there are 134,500 (or something like that) people living in this "suburb" so that narrows down where in Washington it is.

I did think that garage bunker was cool. I wish I could dig out my garage. I bet the city permit office will flip if they find out.

My thought on that bunker was why wait down there for 60 days. An 8 by 8 bunker with the family would be hell. Why not just head for the boat at first signs of trouble. Also the first looter to go in the garage will see the hatch, all they need to do is push a car onto it and they will be trapped. I would use the bunker for storage, also the boat would be stocked up.

TangoFoxtrot
04-17-2012, 04:32
All that needs to be done is trap them inside or cut off their ventilation.

nursetim
04-17-2012, 22:05
HOLY CRAP!!!! those were some serious nut burgers that have snapped mentally. let's see a mad bomber/wine maker, the motorcycle mama and her man seemed almost aroused by their firearms, the furniture repairman robbing his children of their childhood with his neurosis. They make anyone who makes a lowkey attempt to be preppered look like moonbats.

Maybe NATGEO wants to pick the nutburgers to discredit prepping.

TangoFoxtrot
04-18-2012, 04:21
LOL I'd like to meet the guy who does the casting.

Ruble Noon
04-18-2012, 05:00
HOLY CRAP!!!! those were some serious nut burgers that have snapped mentally. let's see a mad bomber/wine maker,

Maybe NATGEO wants to pick the nutburgers to discredit prepping.

I wonder if he will be getting a visit from the ATF?

kirgi08
04-18-2012, 08:33
That's my thought.'08.

cowboy1964
04-18-2012, 11:17
If anyone wants to give me 1 ounce of gold for a can of ravioli, just tell me how many cans you want.

kirgi08
04-18-2012, 12:14
Life or luxury your call,unless,of course one hit a jackpot.'08. :dunno:

TangoFoxtrot
04-19-2012, 04:36
I think the couple that purchased the metal shipping container will have their silver dug up before sunrise.

pugman
04-19-2012, 18:16
I think the couple that purchased the metal shipping container will have their silver dug up before sunrise.

Bingo.

Why would you take $2500 in junk silver and basically tell the entire country where you buried it??

I have yet to comment on this thread (I think) but is it me or are they showing the more "fringe" preppers.

One guy on T.V showing he is making pipe bombs?

People showing the nation where their "secret" hideout is?

TangoFoxtrot
04-20-2012, 04:35
Yes it is idiotic and makes us look like morons to the masses watching this show.

Lone Kimono
04-24-2012, 18:15
So, I wonder what will happen when those people who built the bunker in their garage have their house assessed for taxes?