Scripto lighters at wal-mart [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Scripto lighters at wal-mart

emt1581
01-30-2012, 20:09
Not sure if anyone else does it but when I go to walmart I pick up an 8...that's 8...pack of Scripto lighters at the cash register. $1.97 for 8 lighters...good deal IMO.

Tonight I was there and I saw a yellow sign on the pack that said "Big Pack". So I gave it to the cashier and bought it. I get home and look at it...yeah it's got 7 lighters instead of 8 for the same price. And the yellow sign was actually a folded piece of cardboard that takes up the space of the lighter that used to be there. So rather than retool their operation they just put this filler in there.

I thought they were supposed to decrease the supply while keeping the price constant or maybe raising it a bit without going over into a JUST NOTICEABLE DIFFERENCE territory...well I noticed.

Anyone else notice this?

-Emt1581

thejellster05
01-30-2012, 20:39
I hate that crap! Happens in food all the time.

Good idea hoarding the cheap lighters though.

G29Reload
01-30-2012, 20:48
While those pocket lighters are a good idea, one thing you should not ignore:

Those extend - o lighters, the longer ones. They have a bigger reservoir of fuel in the handle and they're about a foot long.

Good for fireplaces, outdoor grills.

I can see a lot of uses for those and keep one near the stove in the kitchen and a spare in the cupboard.

A good way to avoid injury from a flareup if you need to light something dicey in a situation…farther you keep your hand back, the better. Gas appliances, etc.

Usually you can get em for 3 bucks or less. Grab a couple and throw em on the pile, just in case…they won't go bad.

Just sayin...

schild
01-31-2012, 05:00
Unless they have improved the Scripto lighters I'd rather pay extra for a BIC.

UneasyRider
01-31-2012, 05:01
That's inflation.

The Wizard
01-31-2012, 06:35
Have you notice that toilet paper rolls are narrower than they uses to be!

rwrjr
01-31-2012, 07:06

I just assumed my butt got bigger. :supergrin:

Bilbo Bagins
01-31-2012, 07:07
Unless they have improved the Scripto lighters I'd rather pay extra for a BIC.

+1

Bic lighters are worth the extra money. I remember they sucked when I use to smoke. I would not trust my life to a cheapo lighter.

NDCent
01-31-2012, 07:31
+1

Bic lighters are worth the extra money. I remember they sucked when I use to smoke. I would not trust my life to a cheapo lighter.

I'd use gofer matches before I'd buy any of the other cheap-o brand lighters. Bic isn't on the same level as the other throw away lighters. Even their long bar-b-que, fireplace, lighters are much better than the other brands.

kirgi08
01-31-2012, 07:31
I just assumed my butt got bigger. :supergrin:

:shocked: :animlol:

Howdy stranger.'08. :wavey:

quake
01-31-2012, 09:02

And the cardboard tubes in the center are larger-diameter as well. Bigger hole in the middle = less product in the package, while still looking the same on the store shelf. I only noticed it when refilling a holder and saw the new ones right next to the old one still on there.

As far as lighters and "Bic is a better lighter" vs. "generic is better deal", I actually agree with both; and ended up settling on the generics frankly because we use a lot of them and the bics cost six times as much, even bought in bulk. They're better, but I don't believe one bic is worth six of the others. (JMO; not unlike having one box of 'premium' handgun ammunition vs. having six boxes of 'decent' handgun ammunition.)

With the generics, you do have to accept that after four or five years on the shelf, one or two out of a hundred-pack will be dead; but my boys and their friends have used a lot of lighters for years (one of our neighbors & their kids run a fireworks stand), and we'll go thru probably fifty a year or so. I've just settled on the hundred packs from sams club that run $10 or $12 iirc. We keep at a minimum one unopened pack, plus the pack that's being used from, so we've always got at least 100-200 on hand.

Before I put one in the truck or wherever, I simply use it a few times to test (just as we should most anything). Never had a problem with it that way and it lets me keep a much larger supply than otherwise. Even in my ghb, I use the generics; I just carry ones that I've used a little so I know I can trust them, and I carry four of them. Frankly, even if they were bics, I'd want four of them; to cover any loss, breakage, fluke damage like the metal cap coming off, etc.

If it were just me individually, I might go the other route, using the more expensive ones with a smaller quantity on hand. But with half a dozen people using from the supply, I just prefer this approach. The generics aren't as uniform as the bics; probably 90-95% maybe. But for this particular item, I can live with 90-95%% of the quality since it comes at 15-20% of the price. Some things, I do the opposite. Batteries, I do buy the name brand; usually energizers.

Jmo and ymmv, obviously. :wavey:

G29Reload
01-31-2012, 09:55
These are the bomb, but dont pay more than 3 bucks for one at WM:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/11Rl0sK1JwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Kieller
01-31-2012, 10:47
I've just settled on the hundred packs from sams club that run $10 or $12 iirc. We keep at a minimum one unopened pack, plus the pack that's being used from, so we've always got at least 100-200 on hand.

These are what I buy also. Never had any real issue with them. I don't use near as many as quake per year though.

quake
01-31-2012, 12:42
It's not quake, it's quake's idiot spawn and idiot neighbor spawn. I've just accepted the role of resupply point... :)

itstime
01-31-2012, 12:48
I just read recently over 1 billion displosable lighters are sold a year. Wow that's a lot.

sebecman
01-31-2012, 12:48
As a retired smoker I can agree with the "bic is better" arguement.

That said any lighter is good when you need it and I have more cheapos and matches then I do bics.

Also a few zippos and some fluid.

Something I have been doing lately is waterproofing matches, the strike anywhere kind, just a dip or two into a pan of melted wax.

Not as robust a burn as those NATO ones you can buy for 25 cents a match but they are still better then nothing and usually better then a lighter when really wet! As you know once the flint gets wet on your disposable lighter it can take a while to dry.

SPIN2010
01-31-2012, 12:55
It is Wally-world, just use one and say you do not like it. Then take the pack and the unused ighters back for a refund or exchnage ... wally will exchange or refund on the drop of nothing. They will even take back a half eaten box of food everytime ... it is corp policy. :cool:

wildcat455
01-31-2012, 13:45
These are the bomb, but dont pay more than 3 bucks for one at WM:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/11Rl0sK1JwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I use those too!

banger
01-31-2012, 14:23
How about the "one pound" coffee cans that now contain...

10.5 oz. of coffee!

bdcochran
01-31-2012, 14:52
I have a pile of zippos and cans of fluid. Not a smoker.

Arourasphere
01-31-2012, 16:15
I have a "lighter" I bought at REI that uses the scripto lighters. You open it, drop in a scripto and it uses the scripto fuel to make a butane torch. Very nice and reliable.

TN.Frank
01-31-2012, 21:36
I have 3 or 4 Zippo lighters that I've had for quite a while. I'd rather have a good lighter then stock up on fluid and flints then a bunch of those crappy disposable ones.

quake
02-01-2012, 08:17
I've still got a zippo I bought at Ft. Benning more than 30 years ago. Works great, but I'm not a regular-enough smoker for it to be practical for me. A few weeks and it dries out even if not used; it wouldn't really work for one to toss in the glovebox (or toolbox, tacklebox, ghb, BOB, whatever) and leave for future emergency use, unless extra fluid was also stored in the same place. Love the zippo, and if I go somewhere where I know I'm likely to be smoking - or otherwise needing a lighter - several times in a relatively short period of time, then I'll actually gas up the zippo and use that. I frankly like it better than the disposables; but that one weakness (short shelf life when "loaded") is what kills it for me personally.

If someone makes a zippo-esque lighter that uses liquid fuel & wick, that will also stay good for months at a time, I'd love to know about it. I'd likely buy one in a heartbeat.

kirgi08
02-01-2012, 09:51
Put the parts together and fuel as needed,I have gallons os fluid and I'm trying ta make a flint work in a flint lock rifle.'08.

Kieller
02-01-2012, 11:25
It's not quake, it's quake's idiot spawn and idiot neighbor spawn. I've just accepted the role of resupply point... :)

:rofl:

My mistake! :supergrin:

DJ Niner
02-02-2012, 00:16
Not sure if anyone else does it but when I go to walmart I pick up an 8...that's 8...pack of Scripto lighters at the cash register. $1.97 for 8 lighters...good deal IMO.

Tonight I was there and I saw a yellow sign on the pack that said "Big Pack". So I gave it to the cashier and bought it. I get home and look at it...yeah it's got 7 lighters instead of 8 for the same price. And the yellow sign was actually a folded piece of cardboard that takes up the space of the lighter that used to be there. So rather than retool their operation they just put this filler in there.

I thought they were supposed to decrease the supply while keeping the price constant or maybe raising it a bit without going over into a JUST NOTICEABLE DIFFERENCE territory...well I noticed.

Anyone else notice this?

-Emt1581After reading this thread the other day, I found myself stuck in line in Walmart behind someone who was trying to re-finance their house at the register or something (taking forever). I saw the 7-pack with the cardboard and thought "Yeah, Emt1581 was right, that is kinda cheesy".

Well, I got tired of waiting for whatever was taking so long, and they opened up a new register a couple of checkouts down, in an area that they usually don't use unless it's pretty busy (it wasn't, but anyway...). So I headed down to the new register, and I was checking out, I looked over at the lighter rack and lo and behold, there is a whole row of the older 8-packs staring me right in the face! Apparently, they don't round-up the old packages when there is this kind of changeover, and if you check the lesser-used checkout aisles, there are still many of the old 8-packs hanging around. I bought one that day, and I got another one tonight on the way home. I also prefer the Bics for longer-term storage (primarily because of their airtight and compact packaging), but having a few less-expensive giveaway lighters probably isn't a bad idea.

kirgi08
02-02-2012, 00:20
:whistling:

bdcochran
02-02-2012, 04:47
If you are NOT a smoker and want to start a fire, it is much cheaper to use 0000 steel wool and a partially used battery. You just place it across the ends of it will ignite. Or, use 0000 steel wool, an open maglight flashlight and jam it in. Same result.

sebecman
02-02-2012, 08:45
If you are NOT a smoker and want to start a fire, it is much cheaper to use 0000 steel wool and a partially used battery. You just place it across the ends of it will ignite. Or, use 0000 steel wool, an open maglight flashlight and jam it in. Same result.

Yep, that makes a lot more sense then buying a lighter for 25 or 50 cents or a carrying a book of matches. :supergrin:

Just kidding....I think we all know about that method, maybe a few don't and just learned something...

But to suggest that carrying a battery and steel wool is somehow better then carrying a lighter?

Why not go one step further and carry 2 sticks?

bdcochran
02-02-2012, 09:16
In answer to the question, it is more likely that a non smoker will be carrying a flashlight with a battery than a cigarette lighter. I am a non smoker. I have a bunch of blast matches (in the car as well), purported strike anywhere matches zippo lighters and disposable lighters. However, I don't carry them.

Kieller
02-03-2012, 11:26
If you are NOT a smoker and want to start a fire, it is much cheaper to use 0000 steel wool and a partially used battery.

A buddy did this once by accident when we were cleaning some terminals on a car battery. That steel wool was a ball of fire instantly! Scared the shiz outta him...it was hilarious. :supergrin:

crunchless
02-07-2012, 19:01
I've still got a zippo I bought at Ft. Benning more than 30 years ago. Works great, but I'm not a regular-enough smoker for it to be practical for me. A few weeks and it dries out even if not used; it wouldn't really work for one to toss in the glovebox (or toolbox, tacklebox, ghb, BOB, whatever) and leave for future emergency use, unless extra fluid was also stored in the same place. Love the zippo, and if I go somewhere where I know I'm likely to be smoking - or otherwise needing a lighter - several times in a relatively short period of time, then I'll actually gas up the zippo and use that. I frankly like it better than the disposables; but that one weakness (short shelf life when "loaded") is what kills it for me personally.

If someone makes a zippo-esque lighter that uses liquid fuel & wick, that will also stay good for months at a time, I'd love to know about it. I'd likely buy one in a heartbeat.

I've still got my zippo from my Frigate from 1987 but like you I don't use it much and it works great, but dries up in a few days. So it's just for sentimental reasons. But this peanut lighter is pretty good - it has a rubber gasket around it and you screw it together, and lighter fluid is still in there after a few months. But, I've noticed that one of mine works well, another one dries up quickly - probably a bad gasket.

http://countycomm.com/sslight.html