Caliber for the woods! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Caliber for the woods!

RedRyder21
01-30-2012, 22:16
Mr Ayoob,

Here in rural Missouri in the woods you could encounter feral dogs, feral hogs, and very rarely cougars. Nothing much bigger than those critter roam these parts. I hear how 9mm is better than it used to be with modern HP's. I also recently had a run it with a dog which had been abandoned and became very aggressive. I now understand when people say dogs have a very thick skull which bullets just slide off of. Suffice to say I have lost a little confidence in my favorite Glock 22 (with Gold Dot 165 grain) for woods walking. I really want to carry my Glock 19 since its a little more light weight and its the handgun I shoot the most accurately. I have a Glock 23, but with all the practice in the world I can't get the accuracy out of it I want.

I am also looking for an excuse to buy a Glock 21 or 30 for my big 'ol farm hands. Now I am leaning towards a Glock 30 since you speak highly of it.

If you were to come for a hike or to go fishing at the river with me, and you were limited to a Glock, what would you bring?

Mas Ayoob
01-31-2012, 09:09
I'd worry more about hogs than dogs in terms of power level. Might want to turn the page in the Glock catalog and get a G20. If you don't reload, Buffalo Bore and CorBon and other boutique ammo houses have deep-driving 10mm Auto hunting loads that should work fine.

best,
Mas