Visiting South Carolina [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Visiting South Carolina

frankr
01-31-2012, 08:00
Iím a resident of Pennsylvania and have a Pennsylvania license to carry firearms but my license dose not cover South Carolina. Obviously I can not carry in SC but we will be spending a month in a rented condo, my question is would you still bring a weapon to keep in the condo?

MAGlock
01-31-2012, 08:04
Iím a resident of Pennsylvania and have a Pennsylvania license to carry firearms but my license dose not cover South Carolina. Obviously I can not carry in SC but we will be spending a month in a rented condo, my question is would you still bring a weapon to keep in the condo?

Depends on if your willing to suffer the consequences if your caught. I wouldn't, but that's me.

tim12232
01-31-2012, 08:07
Yes, its not New York down there. I occasionally open carry here in North Carolina, and live right by the border. So when I drive down to South Carolina to buy gas "its .40 a gallon cheaper" I just place the gun in the case in the trunk while im in the state.

tim12232
01-31-2012, 08:08
Depends on if your willing to suffer the consequences if your caught. I wouldn't, but that's me.

please post a link to cite the consequences of such action :upeyes:

cphilip
01-31-2012, 08:11
Yes you can transport it in the glove box, console or trunk. It can be loaded and the console or glove box can be unlocked. This part is in the main gun laws section

(8) a person in his home or upon his real property or a person who has the permission of the owner or the person in legal possession or the person in legal control of the home or real property;

(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver’s license, registration, or proof of insurance;

Not certain about the exact definition of rental as it pertains to "real property" but I can find one reference under the concealed weapons section that sort of hints at this maybe being possible that it would qualify... but its in the Concealed carry section... but carrying to the room would be concealed carry but excepted concealed carry... and it does say "any person" not licensee

SECTION 23-31-230. Carrying concealed weapons between automobile and accommodation.

Notwithstanding any provision of law, any person may carry a concealable weapon from an automobile or other motorized conveyance to a room or other accommodation he has rented and upon which an accommodations tax has been paid.

firefighter4215
01-31-2012, 08:12
I wouldn't see what a lack of ccw reciprocity would have to do with taking a weapon to keep in the condo. I thought you could transport an unloaded weapon in a locked case by Federal law.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

DaleGribble
01-31-2012, 09:36
SC resident and former police officahhhh here. As someone else already posted you can carry a loaded weapon in your CLOSED glove compartment, CLOSED center console or trunk without being in violation of the law. You can CC to and from your vehicle to a room you've rented for occupancy. If you have a valid SC state issued hunting or fishing license you may also carry concealed while engaging in those activities. SC is a very gun friendly state.

Bullwinkle J Moose
01-31-2012, 10:05
I can not carry in SC but we will be spending a month in a rented condo, my question is would you still bring a weapon to keep in the condo?

Sure you can. Where else would you keep it? Hide, secure it or take it with you when you go out, so any cleaning staff won't find it. Some condo's may have some silly rules about firearms, but rules aren't laws and bringing up the issue with management would only be going out of your way to cause yourself problems.

Now that that's settled, you need only worry about finding some good eateries.

You visiting the beach or Charleston?

cphilip
01-31-2012, 10:22
I think the intent of the law was to recognize that rented rooms are, in essence, your property and your residence while occupying them. And they intended to let you carry the weapon from you car to your rented property, concealed to prevent any incidents and confusion, without penalty nor need to be permitted to do so. And futher more they probably don't think storing the firearm in the car is as wise as letting you take it into your Rented room, house, or condo...

But then again, I am not the AG so... take it with a grain of salt. But thats my understanding of it.

John43
01-31-2012, 10:25
You could add another state that would cover SC.

cphilip
01-31-2012, 10:28
SC does not recognize any Permit that is issued from a state the permit holder is not a resident of. So that won't work here.

ashecht
01-31-2012, 10:29
Yes, its not New York down there. I occasionally open carry here in North Carolina, and live right by the border. So when I drive down to South Carolina to buy gas "its .40 a gallon cheaper" I just place the gun in the case in the trunk while im in the state.

all I can say is DON"T OPEN CARRY IN SC. I live in North Charlotte and also go to SC often to get gas. One time I was OC'ing, stopped in SC to get gas. Walked in to pay, walked out. Before I could turn the key, my car was surrounded by SC trooopers. I had totally forgotten to pull my shirt down(my own dumb,stupid mistake). Officers were great, but kept me there over an hour, running my license, my NC CCW, inspecting my gun, etc. Scared the living bejesus out of me. Again, they were very nice, and could have arrested me and confiscated my gun. Neither of which happened. I will never make that mistake again!

xmanhockey7
01-31-2012, 14:06
I wouldn't see what a lack of ccw reciprocity would have to do with taking a weapon to keep in the condo. I thought you could transport an unloaded weapon in a locked case by Federal law.

You must be going from a place you can legally carry to another place you can legally carry.

OP: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/southcarolina.pdf

cphilip provided the correct law based on what handgunlaws.us is showing. Also you can carry the gun concealed without a valid license from your car to condo and vice versa.

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t16c023.php
SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.
(15) a person while transferring a handgun directly from or to a vehicle and a location specified in this section where one may legally possess the handgun.

Rev.357
01-31-2012, 14:15
Have fun at the beach! Plenty of places to shoot too!

Bullwinkle J Moose
02-01-2012, 12:28
SC does not recognize any Permit that is issued from a state the permit holder is not a resident of. So that won't work here.

You can get a SC permit if you live out of state, but ONLY IF you own some land in SC.

sulaco
02-01-2012, 12:42
Yep, fairly gun-friendly state only when comparing us to some that aren't so friendly. No open carry or limitations on where we can carry makes us look like a bunch of backwards imbeciles though.

firefighter4215
02-01-2012, 13:39
You must be going from a place you can legally carry to another place you can legally carry.

Where does that law reference the carrying of a weapon? Again, I thought it was specifically to allow transportation THROUGH an area where you otherwise wouldn't be able to carry or possess a weapon. One stipulation was that only short stops for fuel were allowed. I could be wrong.

k3sls
02-02-2012, 21:28
Yep, fairly gun-friendly state only when comparing us to some that aren't so friendly. No open carry or limitations on where we can carry makes us look like a bunch of backwards imbeciles though.

I think you need to review the SC limitations as to where you may NOT carry:

∑ (1) police, sheriff, or highway patrol station or any other law enforcement office or facility;
∑ (2) detention facility, prison, or jail or any other correctional facility or office;
∑ (3) courthouse or courtroom;
∑ (4) polling place on election days;
∑ (5) office of or the business meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or
special purpose district;
∑ (6) school or college athletic event not related to firearms;
∑ (7) day care facility or preschool facility;
∑ (8) place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law;
∑ (9) church or other established religious sanctuary (unless authorized);
∑ (10) hospital, medical clinic, doctor's office, or any other facility where medical services or procedures are performed unless expressly authorized by the employer.
∑ Any Place a sign posted states, "No Concealable Weapons Allowed" in accordance with Section 2331235. (sign must meet requirements).
∑ Carrying concealed weapons into residences or dwellings. No person who holds a permit issued pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23 may carry a concealable weapon into the residence or dwelling place of another person without the express permission of the owner or person in legal control or possession, as appropriate.