"Purse Carry" with a Difference [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : "Purse Carry" with a Difference

BrewerGeorge
02-01-2012, 00:31
I thought a lot about the recent threads regarding purse carry today. I had plenty of time to think as I waited for my father's surgery and recovery - 12 hours in a hospital.

As I got dressed this morning, I tried to figure out what I was going to do with my gun. The hospital is posted "No Weapons" and I knew I'd be sitting around waiting rooms all day with plenty of opportunities to get unlucky and print or flash. Getting caught would have been a major PITA since I was the only one there waiting for my dad. (In Indiana, those postings don't carry the force of law; they can just ask you to leave.)

Not wanting to be unarmed if I could help it, I settled on the CM9 in a pocket holster inside the front pouch of a small netbook case, which also helpfully held my Kindle, iPod, headphones, etc for the day. Metal detectors would have defeated me, but I would have just bailed to the safe in the truck that you guys convinced me I needed. No detectors in place, anyway.

Overall, it worked very well, but I must say that I was excruciatingly aware of where that bag was all day long. I HAD to have it in my hand or right next to me all day, even when that was a little bit odd - like say going to the bathroom in my dad's hospital room. When people sat down near me, I moved it away to my other side. I thought about it way, way more than I typically think of my EDC on the hip. It was like those first few days of CCW when you feel like everybody is looking at you.

I'm not sure how women who purse carry regularly deal with the hyper-awareness of THE GUN not being controlled on their person. I think it would drive me crazy.

sctusa
02-01-2012, 05:11
Fanny pack dose all that and with it being attached no worries. Always with you. :supergrin:

I thought a lot about the recent threads regarding purse carry today. I had plenty of time to think as I waited for my father's surgery and recovery - 12 hours in a hospital.

As I got dressed this morning, I tried to figure out what I was going to do with my gun. The hospital is posted "No Weapons" and I knew I'd be sitting around waiting rooms all day with plenty of opportunities to get unlucky and print or flash. Getting caught would have been a major PITA since I was the only one there waiting for my dad. (In Indiana, those postings don't carry the force of law; they can just ask you to leave.)

Not wanting to be unarmed if I could help it, I settled on the CM9 in a pocket holster inside the front pouch of a small netbook case, which also helpfully held my Kindle, iPod, headphones, etc for the day. Metal detectors would have defeated me, but I would have just bailed to the safe in the truck that you guys convinced me I needed. No detectors in place, anyway.

Overall, it worked very well, but I must say that I was excruciatingly aware of where that bag was all day long. I HAD to have it in my hand or right next to me all day, even when that was a little bit odd - like say going to the bathroom in my dad's hospital room. When people sat down near me, I moved it away to my other side. I thought about it way, way more than I typically think of my EDC on the hip. It was like those first few days of CCW when you feel like everybody is looking at you.

I'm not sure how women who purse carry regularly deal with the hyper-awareness of THE GUN not being controlled on their person. I think it would drive me crazy.

OMEGA5
02-01-2012, 05:35

Easy, ever see a women in a public place go to the restroom
and NOT take her purse? Not likely, so peple don't notice. Taking
your laptop case is more noticable but not inexplicable. Laptops
get stolen, fact of life. Your case of "nerves" was just that. Carrying
like that was new to you and therefore you were a lot more
self-conscious.
Dani :harley:

ithaca_deerslayer
02-01-2012, 08:55
Easy, ever see a women in a public place go to the restroom
and NOT take her purse? Not likely, so peple don't notice. Taking
your laptop case is more noticable but not inexplicable. Laptops
get stolen, fact of life. Your case of "nerves" was just that. Carrying
like that was new to you and therefore you were a lot more
self-conscious.
Dani :harley:

I agree.

While my wife carries IWB mostly, some times she purse carries (designed for it).

Nobody gives a purse a second thought when it is always with the woman. Most difficult situation I can think of is when at a friend or relative's house. Only then might, might, maybe, one expect a women to loosen up and leave her purse farther away from her.

So I think the only problem with a purse is that bad guys target it.

ithaca_deerslayer
02-01-2012, 09:19
The type of situation the OP describes is why many of us have at least 2 carry guns. One medium, and one small. My medium one is my G26.

Does the OP's CM9 count as small? Should be small enough for most people, for 99% of the time. I have a PM9 for this, also a 642, both about the same size and power. This category usually just gives up capacity

Some people even have a 3rd gun that is extra small (or they make sure that 2nd choice is extra small). Sometimes called mouse guns. For me, it is my LCP .380. This category usually gives up power.

Of course, others also carry what I would call a large gun, that gives up neither capacity, nor power (except when compared to a rifle). My G17 is my example, but I don't carry it much except for around my property, because it is harder to conceal.

My point is I don't carry a purse, so for on body carry I have to pick between multiple guns in different sizes depending upon the concealment needs. The OP at the hospital could have used a mouse gun :)

BrewerGeorge
02-01-2012, 14:59
My point is I don't carry a purse, so for on body carry I have to pick between multiple guns in different sizes depending upon the concealment needs. The OP at the hospital could have used a mouse gun :)
I agree fully. I've always had 'mouse guns' for that reason, but I'm currently lacking since I sold my Jetfire last year. I was lamenting that fact yesterday, actually. The CM is my smallest pistol at the moment. I'm looking very hard right now for my next mouse gun.

X72
02-03-2012, 10:33
BrewerGeorge, I am new to firearms and concealed carry all at once. I decided to purse carry a G17 based on seeing this guntotenmamas bag on youtube.

Classic Concealed Carry Holster Purse Shoulder Bag CCW - YouTube

This is for anyone considering purse/messenger bag carry.

By the way I am a guy. I picked black polyester instead of leather to make it lighter. I treat it like on body carry, meaning the bag is on me all the time (sitting down, in the car with my seat belt on underneath the bag propped up on my right (strong) side, at a public restroom). If it is not on me, I lock the bag up. This means I do not have to handle the pistol at all to lock it up. It stays in the bag.

Strapped on or locked up is the only way I could think of doing this to minimize the chance of it being left unintentionally somewhere. Hence, I totally understand your feeling of how can someone purse carry and take the bag off in some situations with the bag out of direct control yet not locked up.

The disadvantages are the fact I would have to resist a theft attempt (I wear the bag cross body on my strong side) and a slower draw. But this is what I am willing to do. Before I had no firearm, so I am trying to avoid making the good the enemy of the perfect.

The advantages of this system are that I can carry a larger size (not weight, weight is the enemy here) firearm and I can partially unzip the bag and put my firing grip on without exposing the firearm or looking too strange if I were to feel threatened but not ready to draw. I haven't practiced drawing while seated in the car, but the firearm seems to me to be pretty accessible while sitting.

The zippers need to be in the same place so I can reach for them without looking, and I put the front compartment zipper towards the rear top corner and the gun compartment zippers towards the front top corner so I don't ever confuse them.

I am also now used to the feeling of the weight of the bag, and if I don't feel the tug on my shoulder, I don't feel "right."
Right now I am working on just learning to shoot the pistol.

Bill Lumberg
02-03-2012, 12:54
Sorry about your family. But planning on how to best carry a weapon where you shouldn't have a weapon isn't a great plan A.