Kimber Warrior II trigger pull [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Kimber Warrior II trigger pull

MrM4Guy
02-01-2012, 02:15
Hello, I have been breaking in my Kimber Warrior II and have about 500 rounds through it without one hiccup. I am the original owner and have not had any trigger work done on it. I really like the trigger pull, nice and crisp, breaks like glass, pretty light. I wondered about this and had my gunsmith use his digital tool to check it out. It came bak at 1.92 pounds 4 times and 1.93 pounds once. I thought this was a fluke until we checked the machine on a few other of his "proven" pistols. I posted this on another thread and someone told me I must be wrong because most stock 1911 style triggers are factory set at around 4 pounds, and that Rob Leatham's competition pistol is set at 1.5 pounds. Can anyone clear this up or give me their thoughts please?

B.Reid
02-01-2012, 05:37
WOW, that is a light. I would leave it alone and enjoy.

knedrgr
02-01-2012, 06:51
It's easy to get a 1911 trigger down really low. I've shot Quack's tuned STI Edge with a 1.5 lbs trigger.

Tuning the sear spring, trigger track, friction surfaces in the ignition, sear and hammer contact/angle, and lower mainspring weight.

knedrgr
02-01-2012, 06:52
WOW, that is a light. I would leave it alone and enjoy.

Unless the OP wants to use it in any HD situation.

itstime
02-01-2012, 07:08
Easily possible on a 1911. I'm sure that slipped through Kimbers quality control. That pull would be great for a target or competion gun but my thinking is a bit light for a Warrior.

Lawyers would eat that up in a HD or SD situation. Keep that in mind.

I would love to shoot it though. :)

SigFTW
02-01-2012, 07:27
Like others have stated, 1.5 is very light, especially for carry or HD.
Call Kimber and ask or use it as your new competition pistol.

MrM4Guy
02-01-2012, 10:32
Thanks for the replies so far!! I agree about it being too light for CCW or self defense carry. I wouldn't mind using it for home defense, but my main ccw or self/home defense pistols are my either my Glock 19 or 29 (either with stock 10mm barrel or EFK FireDragon .40 S&W conversion barrel), HK USP Compact .45, or Ruger LCR in .38+P. The order in which stated is random. The decision on which to carry is the season of the year, what I am wearing, where I am going, and how I felt waking up that day!
itstime and B.Reid, I agree with you both. Actually I am pretty much on the same page as everyone on this subject so far. But as far itstime, It is awesome to shoot! I have had a couple of 1911 style pistols including a Kimber CDP, and a Springfield Operator, and have never enjoyed a trigger, accuracy, feel, or reliability as this one.
After putting about 500 rounds through it, I replaced the factory slide release with a Wilson Combat extended one (stubby fingers), nine Wilson Combat 47d magazines, and a Streamlight TLR-2s for that lonely rail! The Streamlight is a little bulky, but adds a nice heft to the pistol when firing at the range. I like the feel of the pistol with or without it. Lastly, I just added some skateboard tape to the front of the grip because out of the factory, it does not come textured.
I also wanted to know peoples thoughts about adding a magazine well. Also, I am not a 1911 expert, so if anyone wants to give your advice on shooting it, modifications to consider, best factory loads both self defense/target ( I use Winchester Ranger 230 gr. SXT's for the HK ), and must have accessories, my ears and eyes are wide open!
Thanks!!!

SigFTW
02-01-2012, 14:00
I would like to add a mag well also. After shooting in IDPA it would be a good added accessory.
http://store.kimberamerica.com/Products/tabid/67/CategoryID/210/ProductID/1759/Default.aspx

B.Reid
02-01-2012, 14:40
I would like to add a mag well also. After shooting in IDPA it would be a good added accessory.
http://store.kimberamerica.com/Products/tabid/67/CategoryID/210/ProductID/1759/Default.aspx

I put the wilson on one of mine, had to do some minor fitting but it was no big deal, just a little filing.

SigFTW
02-01-2012, 14:51
I put the wilson on one of mine, had to do some minor fitting but it was no big deal, just a little filing.

The Wilson is better priced. What did you have to do to make it fit?

MrM4Guy
02-01-2012, 16:16
I called Kimber's customer service and the lady told me that while a 1.92 pound trigger was an anomaly for a factory Warrior II, there was nothing to worry about as far as safety or legal purposes.
She also said, that if I was worried, Kimber would gladly fix any issues free of charge.
She also told me that," Off the record ", she was an avid 1911 shooter, and has paid good money for a trigger like mine and would not change it.
I think I will take her advice!
Also, B.Reid and SigFTW, thanks for the feedback.

Bodyarmorguy
02-01-2012, 17:05
I called Kimber's customer service and the lady told me that while a 1.92 pound trigger was an anomaly for a factory Warrior II, there was nothing to worry about as far as safety or legal purposes.
She also said, that if I was worried, Kimber would gladly fix any issues free of charge.
She also told me that," Off the record ", she was an avid 1911 shooter, and has paid good money for a trigger like mine and would not change it.
I think I will take her advice!
Also, B.Reid and SigFTW, thanks for the feedback.

Carpe Diem any time that someone tells you something "off the record." Remember, that means they do not want to be held accountable for the statement.

MrM4Guy
02-01-2012, 19:51
Bodyarmorguy, of she doesn't want to be held legally liable for it nor lose her job. That does not mean it is either true or untrue. I am in sales and have had to give customers advice " off the record " for their benefit, not mine. Large companies tend to cut corners sometimes and the customer suffers for this when the frontline staff knows of better solutions, but cannot utilize better resources, knowledge or tools. This is because the company wants to maximize profits. If I know one of my customers can benefit from something that I know is pretty much solid advice, I will give it to them with the warning, " Off the record please, I do not want to lose my job, but this route will save you money, and work better. " Funny thing is, I actually make the company more profit in the future because my customers took my advice and are return customers that deal with me specifically knowing I will do my best to help them. Win/win for everyone. I have been in my specific position successfully for over 15 years with very few problems with my advice. But, you are correct, she may not have the same integrity I do. My risk. I will give her the benefit of the doubt. I am pretty trusting of the average American worker.
Over a thousand rounds down range with this pistol and still no hiccups ( misfeeds, FTF, FTE, or AD's due to user or pistol error or failure. I wish and will put many more rounds downrange as time goes by. This pistol is a keeper!
Out of curiosity, You were the one that told me that Rob Leatham uses a 1.5 pound trigger on his competition pistol. I am only asking where you got this insider info from or point me in the right direction where I can find this for a fact. I looked on his website, and A. could not find this info, and B. It appears that Mr. Leatham uses several pistols for different competitions. So I guess my main question for you is what pistol are you referring to, caliber etc., and which competition class. Now I personally do not compete in any type of pistol, rifle or shotgun league so I am very ignorant to this arena. Your input would be much appreciated!

MrM4Guy
02-01-2012, 20:05
BTW, Bodyarmorguy, I am not trying to pick on you, honest. But you told me you were in the body armor business and that you are a law enforcement officer. Well, I have been through and completed an accredited police academy in California and would have had a fruitful LEO career except for a complete tear of my PCL doing redman training for the ASP Baton ( post academy ). My question to you is, have you ever given " off the record " advice to a fellow officer? A civilian? In the body armor industry? Not once? Maybe I am wrong, but I am assuming that you are a stand up guy and may have done it once for good reason and it worked out for the better. If I am wrong, please tell me. It just seems that many of my friends from the academy and former coworkers that are now seasoned LEO's are pretty jaded.

Bodyarmorguy
02-01-2012, 21:55
Out of curiosity, You were the one that told me that Rob Leatham uses a 1.5 pound trigger on his competition pistol. I am only asking where you got this insider info from or point me in the right direction where I can find this for a fact. I looked on his website, and A. could not find this info, and B. It appears that Mr. Leatham uses several pistols for different competitions. So I guess my main question for you is what pistol are you referring to, caliber etc., and which competition class. Now I personally do not compete in any type of pistol, rifle or shotgun league so I am very ignorant to this arena. Your input would be much appreciated!

It's not really insider info. Trained recently with a good friend of Rob's and the discussion of trigger weights on 1911's and he volunteered it up. Again, not like a trade secret, there are lots of the big name shooters running super light triggers.

And don't get me wrong bro, I wasn't being critical of you for the light trigger, if it came across that way then my bad. It just seemed light for that gun, just my opinion...that and 50 cent still won't get me a cup of coffee.

Bodyarmorguy
02-01-2012, 21:58
She also told me that," Off the record ", she was an avid 1911 shooter, and has paid good money for a trigger like mine and would not change it. I think I will take her advice!

Carpe Diem any time that someone tells you something "off the record." Remember, that means they do not want to be held accountable for the statement.

BTW, Bodyarmorguy, I am not trying to pick on you, honest. My question to you is, have you ever given " off the record " advice to a fellow officer? A civilian? In the body armor industry? Not once? Maybe I am wrong, but I am assuming that you are a stand up guy and may have done it once for good reason and it worked out for the better. If I am wrong, please tell me.

There is no doubt that I have, and like I said, that is how you predicate a statement for which you do not want to be held accountable.

MrM4Guy
02-02-2012, 00:53
Bodyarmorguy, yhankyou for the response and to let you know, I did not take anything personally and I respect you, your knowledge and your profession. Everyday I walk the earth I find out how much more I need to learn! LOL!
My ears are always open for positive criticism, good information, and sage knowledge.
I guess in my own way I have become jaded to a degree, and that is why I sometimes question the source of info a little more than the average person ( hence the call to Kimber ).
Have a good one and I will see you around on this site. Stay safe!

B.Reid
02-02-2012, 12:59
The Wilson is better priced. What did you have to do to make it fit?

The back of it protruded into the mag well and I could not get a mag in. Had to file some there and the inside top was a little thick where the grip safety stop is made the firing pin safety stick up enough that I couldn't get the slide on. That took very little filing. I was surprised with the back part but kinda expected the other, took about 15 minutes to figure out the issues and make the modifications. Hope I explained that well enough.