shtf and bugs [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : shtf and bugs

bdcochran
02-01-2012, 08:01
Someone once observed that civilization is about 5 meals from disintegrating. I think that if a serious shtf happens, you might a only a few days to a few weeks from dealing with bugs.

When shtf, the mosquito control district, the regular garbage pickup, and the street cleaners might not be operating. The seasonal infestation of no-see-ims at the range on Saturday will be with you 24/7.

To this end, I picked up some mosquito head nettings (and put one in the car), spray can insecticides, and several large containers of insecticide. I also made sure that I carry a couple of cans of insecticide in the car. There are also some containers of weed chemicals. Other approaches include putting dust upon yourself and standing around a smokey fire to hide your scent.:faint:

PBCounty
02-01-2012, 09:15
I take mosquitoes very seriously. They can be maddening around here. If SHTF I'd hope to have use of my large screen patio as it would be a luxury in the hot, humid months with its insulated, shaded roof, elevated position, SCREEN and water features. In addition to the screen clothing (jacket, head and face covering) and repellent I also stock spare screen material for window / patio repairs or if the need arises to construct a small enclosure.

Dexters
02-01-2012, 09:19
I think you hit upon a subject people don't think about the cycle of plagues:

Wave 1
Stage 1
Death of humans from lack of medication, accidents, killing, poor sanitation etc.
- Increase in insects
- Increase in rats

Stage 2
- Increase in disease carried by them killing humans
- Dogs packs form and roam around attacking humans
- Cats kill birds increasing the insect population

Stage 3
- Dog packs and insects attack wild and farm animals
- Rats and insects not controlled by insecticides consume crops and other vegetation.

Stage 4
- Dog and rat population begins to die due to lack of easy food

Wave 2
- Human deaths increase due to less crop production and disease

Repeat Stages 1 -4

Wave 3 and beyond - continue until balance of food production and human population is in balance - expect shorter life expectancy.

So you have to prepare for a huge number of insects - flying and crawling, rats and dog packs.

kirgi08
02-01-2012, 09:24
The above would depend on ones A/O,PB is in Florida.The mosquito is the state bird.We live in WNC so skeeters are hit or miss,it depends on standing water.We do have preps against them,those blood suckers spread diseases like a politician spreads lies.'08.

Akita
02-01-2012, 10:51
Nets, Deet, chigger-rid, lindane, chlordane and DDT (if you can get them), boric 'acid', bT, and all the other basic garden/lawn chems are important to stockpile despite what the greenies tell you. When basic SURVIVAL is at stake, the enviroweenies can go suck a bug.

Kieller
02-01-2012, 11:18
The above would depend on ones A/O,PB is in Florida.The mosquito is the state bird.

Ha, indeed it is. :rofl:

I did some work down in WPB a few years back and they got pretty thick sometimes.

Around here insects are not near as bad but we do have a couple times a year that they can get thick. I keep some bug repellent around but not in large quantities. I would love a screened in porch though...

I guess they don't bug me a ton during the warm months because I am usually smoking/bbqing and they generally don't like the smoke.

Jake514
02-01-2012, 16:26
Someone once observed that civilization is about 5 meals from disintegrating. I think that if a serious shtf happens, you might a only a few days to a few weeks from dealing with bugs.

When shtf, the mosquito control district, the regular garbage pickup, and the street cleaners might not be operating. The seasonal infestation of no-see-ims at the range on Saturday will be with you 24/7.

To this end, I picked up some mosquito head nettings (and put one in the car), spray can insecticides, and several large containers of insecticide. I also made sure that I carry a couple of cans of insecticide in the car. There are also some containers of weed chemicals. Other approaches include putting dust upon yourself and standing around a smokey fire to hide your scent.:faint:

You do bring up an excellent point - for humans and maybe also animals. I would also add I have seen grasshoppers so thick they could actually clog machinery air intakes, etc. The grasshoppers were attracted by light at night and in the morning people would need to sweep bushels of dead ones up from in front of their retail storefronts, and they really stink! (The numerical quanitities seem to run in cycles(?).) I am thinking screen to fabricate cleanable devices to keep bugs out of generators, etc. could be very handy.

smokeross
02-01-2012, 16:49
Head net, check. More than 5 meals, check. Enough .22 ammo to shoot Alaskan bugs out of the sky for the cook pot, check.

Akita
02-01-2012, 17:14
Head net, check. More than 5 meals, check. Enough .22 ammo to shoot Alaskan bugs out of the sky for the cook pot, check.

No lie that.

I was up there once and you could check the effectiveness of your DEET by the skeeters. When you put on the 100% stuff, the cloud would be approx 2' from your head. As the hours worre on, the boundary would get closer and closer to your face until they were almost landing.
what I learned is DEET WORKS.

PBCounty
02-01-2012, 18:32
I never thought about mosquitoes in Alaska.

Man I hate those things. Working on something outside at dusk while breathing mosquitoes into your nose / mouth is a quite the joke. I know of more than one back-water fisherman who became stranded overnight (lost / boat broken down) who braved the demon filled water all night just to escape the skeeto wrath....and even then would only lift their mouth / nose out of the water.

dissthis
02-01-2012, 19:44
How about lice post SHTF? We just went through it with my kids. Not too bad right now with special shampoos, washer and dryer to wash bed linen (several times). Even a place to take the girl child that picks the nits for you (for a fee). But if there is no power = no washer/dryer, business are closed = no nit pickers.

How would one deal with lice then? Granted contact with others would be limited. But then again.....

Dexters
02-01-2012, 19:46
How about lice post SHTF? We just went through it with my kids. Not too bad right now with special shampoos, washer and dryer to wash bed linen (several times). Even a place to take the girl child that picks the nits for you (for a fee). But if there is no power = no washer/dryer, business are closed = no nit pickers.

How would one deal with lice then? Granted contact with others would be limited. But then again.....

You will shave your head and genital area in a SHTF situation.

But you are correct - we forgot lice and bed bugs.

schild
02-01-2012, 20:18
You will shave your head and genital area in a SHTF situation.

But you are correct - we forgot lice and bed bugs.

..............and crabs!:tongueout:

Cali-Glock
02-01-2012, 20:22
I think you hit upon a subject people don't think about the cycle of plagues:

Wave 1
Stage 1
Death of humans from lack of medication, accidents, killing, poor sanitation etc.
- Increase in insects
- Increase in rats

Stage 2
- Increase in disease carried by them killing humans
- Dogs packs form and roam around attacking humans
- Cats kill birds increasing the insect population

Stage 3
- Dog packs and insects attack wild and farm animals
- Rats and insects not controlled by insecticides consume crops and other vegetation.

Stage 4
- Dog and rat population begins to die due to lack of easy food

Wave 2
- Human deaths increase due to less crop production and disease

Repeat Stages 1 -4

Wave 3 and beyond - continue until balance of food production and human population is in balance - expect shorter life expectancy.

So you have to prepare for a huge number of insects - flying and crawling, rats and dog packs.

In the third world, the majority of harvested food is destroyed by insects and rodents.

Insect borne disease is a major problem in the third world, and even in tropical portions of the US.

Vector borne diseases will be a major issue.

Javelin
02-01-2012, 20:24
My suggestion would be to find a good recipe and eat them. There will be lots of proteins flying around in the air post SHTF.

Dexters
02-01-2012, 21:02
In the third world, the majority of harvested food is destroyed by insects and rodents.

I think many that think they will go back to farming during SHTF haven't planned for wastage from, insects, rodents, harvesting and spoilage.

lawman800
02-01-2012, 22:40
Instead of insecticide... I got a few bottles of Aqua Net hairspray and a lot of lighters!

Instant roast skeeter for the eatin!

racerford
02-01-2012, 23:08

I hope you meant cans of insect repellent for your car and not insecticide. If you have a leak of can of insect repellent in the closed space of your car, it may smell but you will likely survive. If you have significant leak of an insecticide, it could kill you or cause you to lapse into unconsciousness, or just generally be bad for your health. Most insecticides are strong poisions.

YMMV

Steff1
02-02-2012, 05:02
We all know the effectiveness of Deet, but what are some natural alternatives for insect repellant that people have used ?

eracer
02-02-2012, 05:19
I hope you meant cans of insect repellent for your car and not insecticide. If you have a leak of can of insect repellent in the closed space of your car, it may smell but you will likely survive. If you have significant leak of an insecticide, it could kill you or cause you to lapse into unconsciousness, or just generally be bad for your health. Most insecticides are strong poisions.

YMMVI was poisoned once by some organo-phosphate residue on bulk tea leaves I bought from a small vendor. It was not fun. Luckily it was a small enough amount that the symptoms cleared up after about an hour.

Think about the amount of the stuff I ingested by brewing a small amount of tea. Then consider how much a can of insecticide holds.

Bluestreakfl
02-02-2012, 05:41
We all know the effectiveness of Deet, but what are some natural alternatives for insect repellant that people have used ?

A good all natural 2 ingredient remedy to make a small insect repellent perimeter is to take a whole lemon, and pierce the entire outside with cloves until it looks like a spiky lemon ball. Lemons in Florida at least are plentiful. Cloves aren't hard to stock up on. The two ingredients make a natural chemical reaction similar to citronella. I've used it before, once cleared a spider infestation out of my car, one inside the air duct or by where the filter is, goes through the whole house and works like a subtle natural air freshener. Can also be chopped up, mixed and soaked in hot water, then used as a natural insect repellant spray. Just slice and dice a lemon, crush up some cloves, stick in spray bottle with hot water, shake a bit and let steep until room temperature, and good to go. No harmful side effects.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

barbedwiresmile
02-02-2012, 05:48
Bugs are a major SHTF concern. Generally, they fall into three categories (with a lot of crossover among the three):

1. Nuisances, such as flies, roaches, etc

2. Indirect dangers, such as stink bugs, Japanese beetles, and termites.

3. Direct dangers, such as Brown Recluses, etc.

However, anyone who has seen fly-strike on an animal can attest to how a nuisance can quickly become a threat.

Sanitation and general tidiness are critical in a SHTF situation - even more so than in day-to-day life. Stores of insecticides and treatments are equally as important. Seek out natural preventatives for crops.

quake
02-02-2012, 06:52
Bugs are one of the reasons I carry Sonic-II earplugs in my bag and ghb. If you've ever woken up to a bug in your ear when sleeping on the ground, it's awful. (Is to me anyway.) The Sonic-II are a simple baffle-type earplug that lets you hear normal conversation while taking the top-end of gunshots & other "impulse" sounds out; so they keep out the bugs & such, while still letting you hear normal sounds.

The other reason I carry them is for bad weather. Cold & wind in the ear can be a bad thing, and these baffle-type plugs cut down the wind & moisture that get in there as well. An ear ache is always a bad thing, but an ear ache when you're stuck out in the elements is a VERY bad thing. These kind of earplugs is an easy way to substantially help prevent them.

bdcochran
02-02-2012, 07:37
"We all know the effectiveness of Deet, but what are some natural alternatives for insect repellant that people have used ?"

1. roll in the dirt
2. roll in mud
3. stand in smoke
4. break natural grasses and shrubs and rub yourself with the same
5. do not use soaps when washing clothes

lawman800
02-02-2012, 08:39
I recall something called "DDT" when I was a kid... or was that just Deet being pronounced differently?

sebecman
02-02-2012, 09:10

YMMV

I was thinking the same thing. I was once a licensed pesticide applicator and I can attest to the dangers of pesticide/insecticide et al.

They also have a shelf life and or unique volitilty tolerances that you may not be able to maintain.

If bugs are such a concern for you I would suggest you would be much better of with a few sets of coveralls and the mesh netting you have then stock piling gallons of chemicals.

Dexters
02-02-2012, 10:05
Bugs are a major SHTF concern. Generally, they fall into three categories (with a lot of crossover among the three):

1. Nuisances, such as flies, roaches, etc

2. Indirect dangers, such as stink bugs, Japanese beetles, and termites.

3. Direct dangers, such as Brown Recluses, etc.

However, anyone who has seen fly-strike on an animal can attest to how a nuisance can quickly become a threat.

Sanitation and general tidiness are critical in a SHTF situation - even more so than in day-to-day life. Stores of insecticides and treatments are equally as important. Seek out natural preventatives for crops.

Direct or Indirect - Diseases carried by insects - Lyme Disease, West Nile Virus etc.

barbedwiresmile
02-02-2012, 10:36
Direct or Indirect - Diseases carried by insects - Lyme Disease, West Nile Virus etc.

Yes. Malaria could also make a comeback: a disease that has had more impact on Western civilization than it's often given "credit" for.