Buffalo Bore +P 40 S&W loads??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo Bore +P 40 S&W loads???

40 S+W
02-01-2012, 09:41
Anybody out there use BB's +P 40 S&W loads??? I'm thinking about using their 180 gr FMJ FP's for woods carry and also their 180gr JHP's for two legged potential problems in my G22!!! The rate them at 1100 FPS with about 480 ft lbs of energy.. Thanks in advance!!!!

Merkavaboy
02-01-2012, 14:23
No such thing as a 40S&W+P.

FatBoy
02-01-2012, 14:43
Anybody out there use BB's +P 40 S&W loads??? I'm thinking about using their 180 gr FMJ FP's for woods carry and also their 180gr JHP's for two legged potential problems in my G22!!! The rate them at 1100 FPS with about 480 ft lbs of energy.. Thanks in advance!!!!

You do know that BB says NOT to use them in Stock Glocks?? Just say'in. YMMV

As far as there being no .40+p, technically I will agree. But there is also no 9mm 115g +p+ (in my SAMMI books), but that doesn't stop Federal, Winchester, Speer and others from loading it and many people recommending it in the old 9BPLE load.

cowboy1964
02-01-2012, 14:51
Yeah, all the +P (or +P+ in 9mm) means is it's beyond SAMMI specs. Could call it +++++P for all it matters.

Why not just get a 10mm? Much safer and more power anyway. Even a hot .40 is a marginal "woods gun", IMO, when you think about what a "woods gun" means and is for.

BB says Glock aftermarket barrels will "probably give you more velocity than the stock barrels". Not sure how they come up with that.

FatBoy
02-01-2012, 15:04
Yeah, all the +P (or +P+ in 9mm) means is it's beyond SAMMI specs. Could call it +++++P for all it matters.

Why not just get a 10mm? Much safer and more power anyway. Even a hot .40 is a marginal "woods gun", IMO, when you think about what a "woods gun" means and is for.

BB says Glock aftermarket barrels will "probably give you more velocity than the stock barrels". Not sure how they come up with that.

I guess the bullet will move faster, as all the added gas pressure won't be lost in the KaBoom :faint:

FB

dkf
02-01-2012, 19:36
Buffalo Bore loads their ammo up near max SAAMI specs. They mark some their ammo "+P" (like .380 and .40) when there is no such thing. This is basically their own marketing gibbrish and doesn't mean your getting a load over max SAAMI pressures.

The newer Glock .40 barrels are supported better than the older .40 barrels made around 200 and prior that is probably why BB discourages against using it in Glock barrels. They load with new Starline brass which is some of the best so it should take some abuse.

The big thing you have to watch out for is setback. With a load at the max even a little setback can push it over the edge and possibly rupture a case.

PghJim
02-01-2012, 22:18
BB took those warning from some other source on 40 S&W and are reinforcing it. It is just the completly supported chamber issue. My new G23 has a fully supported chamber and I have shot BB 155gr bullets. They are a handful. My first glock was a G23, purchased around 1997. The unsupported chamber was so bad it left a bulge where the chamber was not supported and I never reloaded those. I quickly bought a Jarvis barrel (there were not a lot around back then) and the problem was solved.

Still curious as to why he would say more velocity with an aftermarket barrel. Although I have seen that on the chronograph, I have never seen it stated anywhere.

40 S+W
02-01-2012, 22:59
BB took those warning from some other source on 40 S&W and are reinforcing it. It is just the completly supported chamber issue. My new G23 has a fully supported chamber and I have shot BB 155gr bullets. They are a handful. My first glock was a G23, purchased around 1997. The unsupported chamber was so bad it left a bulge where the chamber was not supported and I never reloaded those. I quickly bought a Jarvis barrel (there were not a lot around back then) and the problem was solved.

Still curious as to why he would say more velocity with an aftermarket barrel. Although I have seen that on the chronograph, I have never seen it stated anywhere.

+1 on this one.. My new G22 chamber fully supports the case also.. I've seen many 40 Glocked cases laying around the floor at the range and one of the Die companies makes a Die to remove the buldge.. My cases look fine so Glock has a handle on this problem finally.. I won't be facing any Grizzly's where we run our hounds but small Black Bears are popping up everywhere in Ole Ga all of a sudden!!!!! I do believe that BB 40 rd'll get ones attention if you can hit him!!!! Heck, if I put one hard down in self defence Ole Gunny'll put me in a magazine add!!!!