Replacment for chem lights [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Replacment for chem lights

dissthis
02-01-2012, 11:35
Check out http://www.uvpaqlite.com/index.html

"UVPaqlite, a family business, is dedicated to bringing a new light source to people around the world. Our amazing lights do not require batteries, bulbs, electricity, fuels, or mechanical parts. They glow all night long, can be used over-and-over again forever, and are environmentally friendly.
We have several products available for our customers the UVPaqlite, Tooblite, Scooblite, and GIDS"

Chem lights won't work (long) after their expatriation dates...these may be a solution...

I just ordered some...will report back after getting them and playing with them...

quake
02-01-2012, 13:16
Interesting. Let us know how well they actually work.

I've been curious about those solar-charged nalgene bottle LED lights, but not curious enough to actually buy any. Looks like a neat concept for either tent or night-light use, but they look suspiciously like the solar/LED setups in yard lights; and those tend to be pretty weak. If they were cheaper I might check them out, but at $30 apiece I'll pass unless someone has experience with them:

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-99239380869547_2195_71092456

Raiden
02-02-2012, 02:13
I'm also curious to see if the UVPaqlites live up to the claims made. I ordered a few, and will give 'em a good test. There are a bunch of favorable reviews online, so I'm cautiously optimistic I'll be able to find a lot practical uses for 'em.

bdcochran
02-02-2012, 05:45
I look forward to the reviews. I have a couple of other paklite products.

FatBoy
02-04-2012, 15:40
Tag for test results

Raiden
02-05-2012, 08:03
Got my order quickly, and everything seems in good shape. I played with 'em a bit, and initial results are pretty good - certainly better than other phosphorescent glow-in-the-dark products I've used.

With decent exposure, their crystals emit good light for a longer period of time than other such products. The two Tooblites I purchased felt pretty rugged, though I suspect I should avoid dropped them on a very hard surface. The UVPaqlites definitely feel like they could stand up to more abuse, despite seeming flimsy at first glance (the vacuum-sealed sheath feels like the good stuff).

I took the UVPaqlite XSmall (http://www.uvpaqlite.com/order.html#ecwid:category=0&mode=product&product=5683571) and Tooblite Mini (http://www.uvpaqlite.com/order.html#ecwid:category=0&mode=product&product=5925416) out for a quick run in the woods, and each stayed visible the entire two hours I was out there. A minute-or-so of exposure under the dome light of my car, and it was very bright for 5 minutes. After 10 minutes, it was still bright enough that I could slowly navigate with it, with my eyes adjusted and almost no other environmental light. After maybe 15 or 20 minutes (didn't check), I could at least read a map with it. Around the end of my trek, I left the two on a tree, walked out a few yards, and they were still faintly visible to my adjusted eyes. You won't be dazzling anyone with 'em, but someone else on the train certainty wouldn't miss you if you had them on you. The flat Paqlite remained more visible than the cylindrical Tooblite Mini, since there was a greater area exposed.

I tried 'em all under a UV black light, and the glow was INTENSE. I'd recommend 'em to any of my raver friends... if I had raver friends.

I'll get to do a more extensive tests on the items I received (I also picked up the UVPaqlite Medium (http://www.uvpaqlite.com/order.html#ecwid:category=0&mode=product&product=6672358) and the Full-Size Tooblite (http://www.uvpaqlite.com/order.html#ecwid:category=0&mode=product&product=5683565)) next weekend, and perhaps during the week. So far, though, they're living up pretty well to my modest expectations. I think I got more than my money's worth, this time.

mac66
02-05-2012, 10:05
Here's the only problem I see with them, they don't create their own light. Unless they are sitting out all the time absorbing light what good are they? You can't really stash them away for an emergency.

I can see a lot of uses for them but not so much for emergency use.

wrenrj1
02-05-2012, 11:32
Tagged

dissthis
02-05-2012, 19:23
Raiden, you got yours fast! I haven't even gotten a shipping notice yet and I started this thread!

Mac, they charge from any light source. So a few seconds under a flash light or car headlight (or dome light) etc they are good to go without ever expiring.

Raiden
02-05-2012, 20:56
They won't immediately work if stashed somewhere dark, but once unpacked they can be useful. I've figured I'll attach the small Paqlite to my main go-to flashlight, so I can more-quickly find it right as the lights go off (I can do it from memory, but every little bit helps). I still have a small tritium keytag, as well, but it's so faint that I can't see it until my eyes have adjusted to the dark for a 10 ~ 30 seconds, depending on what I was doing. When the lights go out, the strong glow of the Paqlite is immediately visible.

mac66
02-05-2012, 22:07
Raiden, you got yours fast! I haven't even gotten a shipping notice yet and I started this thread!

Mac, they charge from any light source. So a few seconds under a flash light or car headlight (or dome light) etc they are good to go without ever expiring.

I get how they might be useful for something but If you have light to charge them, what do you need them for?

I am not against them, just waiting to see what if any advantage they may have over existing technology.

bdcochran
03-05-2012, 21:17
Bought some. Usefulness is limited. Any low lumen flashlight or other source is more useful.

Crazy_Horse
03-05-2012, 21:50
Have any of you heard of or tried out LazerBrite's replacement for chem lights? I have one and i love it. It has multiple color choices and it is multi use as well.

www.lazerbrite.com

Hummer
03-06-2012, 13:47
Bought some. Usefulness is limited. Any low lumen flashlight or other source is more useful.

Agreed, I bought some of the tooblites last year. They aren't really useful for lighting your way but more as markers to indicate the location of things in a room or on a nightstand. My recommendation: spend your money on rechargeable batteries instead.