Reloading Cost [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Reloading Cost

Fatman73
02-01-2012, 16:51
I have been shooting alot of 45acp and was thinking of getting started loading, i was just wondering to load 500 rounds" just for a number" what would that cost compared to buying those rounds complete. just a ballpark cost per round? not talking bench set up costs ect ect.. thanks

IndyGunFreak
02-01-2012, 17:17
Powder - $24 for 1lb
Charge 5.3gr
Brass -- Free
Bullets -- 2k for 248
Primers --- 1000 for $29 (this includes shipping and hazmat charges... Make sure you order in BULK to offset the hazmat and shipping)

Works out to $8.55 per 50

IGF

Rumbler_G20
02-01-2012, 17:18
Hi Fatty. Just too many variables to get close, but it is my opinion that chances are if you can not load them for 50% or less of what they would cost in a store, you are probably doing something wrong. :wavey:

TX expat
02-01-2012, 17:25
I don't load .45 but I can give you some basic numbers for some rounds I do load and happen to know off the top of my head.

I load 125 gr. lead 9mm rounds for $0.098 per round and I load 55 gr. FMJ .223 for $0.18 per round.

A lot of your individual cost is going to depend on what kind of bullet you want to shoot. Obviously cast bullets are going to be less expensive than plated or jacketed rounds and I use found brass for almost all my reloading, which cuts another cost out. One thing to understand is to get the absolute best per unit cost on your rounds, you have to buy some decent size amounts of supplies, or split an order with one or more other people. If you go to your local reloading supply store and buy a pound of powder and 100 primers and a small box of bullets, your costs will be much higher.

IndyGunFreak
02-01-2012, 17:28
Hi Fatty. Just too many variables to get close, but it is my opinion that chances are if you can not load them for 50% or less of what they would cost in a store, you are probably doing something wrong. :wavey:

That's pretty accurate.

Locally, 100rds of .45, runs about $20(or at least the last time I bought .45 that's what it was running, but it's been quite a while)

JBnTX
02-01-2012, 22:11
I don't really consider the cost savings of reloading.

I love to reload and would continue to do it even if it cost more than buying
commercially loaded ammo.

There's just something about making your own ammo.

shotgunred
02-01-2012, 22:38
Do you want the simple cost or should we just throw the cost of the first divorce in there and ball park it?

vtbluegrass
02-01-2012, 22:51
Once you have the brass the cost of reloaded ammo should be about 50% of production ammo in general.
There are many places to make greater savings. Buying in bulk saves, you can use cheaper primers such as Tula, cast or plated bullets can save depending on the brand, then there is casting your own from recycled lead(this does require more time commitment and equipment). If you are just going to make the cheapest ammo you can for plinking you can get cost saving substantially greater than 50%.

Hogpauls
02-02-2012, 00:28
$8.24 for a box of 50. Well below 50% of what a box of 50 runs in my area. Even though the only component I buy in bulk are projectiles.

DoctaGlockta
02-02-2012, 07:30
Bottom line is if you have more time than money then reload.

If the opposite is true you are better off buying factory.

If you need an excuse to be in the garage, basement, man cave and get some quality 'me' time then reload.

I don't think about costs anymore. I reload because I enjoy it. I find it peaceful and relaxing. I did however buy some factory milsurp .308 last week :whistling:.

It is a skill that I think is worth learning.

Good luck.

HexHead
02-02-2012, 07:35
The last 1000 .45acp I loaded cost me $0.085 each.

ca survivor
02-02-2012, 07:35
That's pretty accurate.

Locally, 100rds of .45, runs about $20(or at least the last time I bought .45 that's what it was running, but it's been quite a while)
Yes that was a loooong time ago, before Nobama. :rofl:

emopunker2004
02-02-2012, 07:39
Yes that was a loooong time ago, before Nobama. :rofl:
This
It's running close the $20 for a box of 50

Fatman73
02-02-2012, 08:17
Thanks for the replies any thoughts on a good beginner press to get started thanks again

ron59
02-02-2012, 08:18
That's pretty accurate.

Yeah, I gotta pile on too.:rofl::rofl:

I bought my first ever .45ACP just over a year ago (G30SF). Knew I was going to reload for it, but bought a box of WWB from Walmart to shoot first, as well as to chrono so I could figure out where I should be.

Pretty sure box was marked $34.xx, then add tax. And that was over a year ago. Might have gone up another buck or too even then.

We can't even get 9MM for $20 per 100 around here now. 2009 when I first started shooting, yes, but WWB is close to $24 per 100 now.

HexHead
02-02-2012, 08:25
Thanks for the replies any thoughts on a good beginner press to get started thanks again

Dillon 550 Basic Loader for $259. You can upgrade it later to a full 550.

You're going to want one eventually anyway.

scccdoc
02-02-2012, 08:29
Once you have the brass the cost of reloaded ammo should be about 50% of production ammo in general.
There are many places to make greater savings. Buying in bulk saves, you can use cheaper primers such as Tula, cast or plated bullets can save depending on the brand, then there is casting your own from recycled lead(this does require more time commitment and equipment). If you are just going to make the cheapest ammo you can for plinking you can get cost saving substantially greater than 50%.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Very true,50%......................but I shoot three times as much as I used to:rofl:

TX expat
02-02-2012, 08:34

Personally I think you should consider a few variables before you start looking for equipment. First off, how much money are you wanting to sink into an initial investment? Secondly, what's more important to you, your time or your money? A single stage press is going to cost the least but it's also going to have the slowest production. A progressive press is going to crank out rounds much faster, but your initial costs will also be dramatically higher.

The most economical option to start out woud be a kit. It will/should have all the major components that you'll need to get started and it's going to be less expensive than buying individual items. Of course, then you are stuck to one brand and some folks don't care for that. An example would be some people can't stand the Lee primer, or the RCBS scale or whatever. Personally I don't see that as a big deal because you won't know what you like, or don't, until you start using some equipment, so any initial investment may, or may not, be the equipment you want to keep using. I still use every piece of hardware from my initial RCBS kit and I crank out plenty of rounds for my personal use, although I will add that I'd like to someday add a Dillon to my reloading bench.

scccdoc
02-02-2012, 08:53
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
There's an entire thread on that topic in "Reloading" may be this same thread ........DOC

F106 Fan
02-02-2012, 09:52

Read the 'stickies' at the top of the forum.

If 'good beginner press' means 'cheap' then no. The reason is that you will then start with a single stage press and within a week or so reallize that you can shoot a LOT faster than you can load. Yes, single stage presses are great for learning the craft of reloading and they do have a purpose but that purpose is NOT in loading bulk quantities of pistol ammo.

Shortly after, you will be in the market for a 'good' press and then there are a many options. However, most reloaders that shoot a lot of pistol will steer you toward the Dillon 550B but there are other presses around.

It all comes down to how much you plan to shoot. If you start with the assumption that a good 550B setup is going to set you back close to $700 then all you need to do is figure out how long it is going to take to recover your investment. If you buy .45 ACP for $400/1000 and you reload it for $200/1000 then you need to load about 3500 rounds to recover your investment.

How long is it going to take to shoot up 3500 rounds? How long (in time) should it take to recover the investment? If you shoot a couple of hundred rounds per week you can recover the investment in 5 months. That's actually a pretty good return on investment when you consider that the average CD is paying less than 1%. To make the deal even sweeter, Dillon presses hold their value (you will almost always be able to sell it for 80% of cost, or more) and can be passed down through the generations.

Head over to BrianEnos.com for a discussion of the various Dillon offerings. If you are only interested in pistol reloading the Dillon SquareDeal is a pretty decent way to start. The 550B, OTOH, is the workhorse of reloading.

Richard

ron59
02-02-2012, 10:55
You can save lots of money by reloading. However, I always preach that you can't "be broke" and do so. Because for me... the prices of components locally are fairly high. For me to get BEST SAVINGS, I buy in bulk on the internet.

Which means.... 10,000 primers per order WITH an 8-lb jug of powder, or maybe 3-4 1lb jugs if I want some different ones to experiment with.
Bullets 3,000 (or more) per order. Precision Delta gives discounts the more you buy.

If you go buy 500 bullets locally? Probably will pay dearly for them by comparison.

If you want to know the TRUE COST, use this:
http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

It's a calculator. You plug in how much it costs you to pay for your components, and it will give you the "per 100" or "per 1000" costs by doing it that way.

I leave the BRASS COST part blank, I pick up range brass.

IndyGunFreak
02-02-2012, 14:35
Yeah, I gotta pile on too.:rofl::rofl:

Guess I should go check out ammo prices at Wal Mart. :rofl: I've been fairly lucky at the club finding brass on the ground so I've not had to buy ammo other than self defense stuff.

Fatman, Read Colorado4Wheel's sticky in this forum. You can get started with a reasonably fast setup, for about 350-400. Your startup costs on anything Dillon, will be quite a bit higher (but it is very good equipment).

IGF

fredj338
02-02-2012, 19:26
Bottom line is if you have more time than money then reload.

If the opposite is true you are better off buying factory.

If you need an excuse to be in the garage, basement, man cave and get some quality 'me' time then reload.

I don't think about costs anymore. I reload because I enjoy it. I find it peaceful and relaxing. I did however buy some factory milsurp .308 last week :whistling:.

It is a skill that I think is worth learning.

Good luck.
If youd on't have a lot of time, buy better equipment. A 650 w/ case feeder does 700-800rds/hr. Throw a bullet feeder on it & you are cranking over 1000rds/hr. I defy anyone to tell me that can't find an hour a month to save $100 off 9mm or $150 off 45acp. It's like paying yourself $100/hr+ cash to reload.:whistling: