Barnes 80gr. Bullet for 380. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Barnes 80gr. Bullet for 380.

PghJim
02-01-2012, 21:29
I have been seeing more of this bullet and wonder what the thoughts are concerning penetration, which is always a problem with the 380.

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=252

dkf
02-01-2012, 21:46
They are pushing them pretty hard which may not be a bad thing for the Barnes bullet. Some of the data I've seen with the Barnes seems like the penetration increases somewhat as the velocity increases where as it is usually the opposite with more traditional JHP designs. I suspect that it may be do in part to the petals folding back and the lack of "mushrooming" from the shank of the bullet. Sorry to say though I will not be trying any because I really don't trust to shoot max loads in my LCP.

NG VI
02-02-2012, 07:20
Of all the expanding bullets, the XTP and the Barnes both seem to get better penetration than can normally be expected from their weight class. Probably the only caliber I'd rather carry XTP than other JHPs in.

Tiro Fijo
02-02-2012, 13:38
...Sorry to say though I will not be trying any because I really don't trust to shoot max loads in my LCP.

The Corbon .380 DPX is NOT a +p load. It kicks like a normal .380. Yes, I have shot them. It is the Buffalo Bore +p .380 that can tear up these guns. It is a hot round.

NG VI
02-02-2012, 16:15
Actually, I think .32 and .380 are the only two calibers I would ever dutch load.

dkf
02-02-2012, 16:35
The Corbon .380 DPX is NOT a +p load. It kicks like a normal .380. Yes, I have shot them. It is the Buffalo Bore +p .380 that can tear up these guns. It is a hot round.

Yeah I know the Corbon is not a "+P" round. From the tests I've seen of the .380 DPX I'm not really all that impressed, especially for the price point.

unit1069
02-02-2012, 19:26
I used to own a .380ACP and spent a lot of time trying to find the optimum self-defense round. I finally accepted the advice to carry FMJ rounds for adequate penetration as the JHP rounds are too "iffy" in that department.

However, if I was carrying a .380ACP as a back-up or quick-run-to-the-7/11 trip I would feel comfortable carrying a solid bullet JHP round like the DPX or Barnes. From what I can tell the solid material lends itself to penetration and no drawbacks to the expansion design.