My first day CCW [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My first day CCW

Bluestreakfl
02-02-2012, 06:27
My Florida carry permit arrived late afternoon yesterday. I carried my NAA mini to a few places but today will be the true first test, carrying my G27 IWB in a remora holster at about 3:30. It was a weird feeling walking out of the house knowing there's a gun snuggly secured to my hip. It's gonna take a bit of getting used to, but the remora holster is definitely comfortable, even while sitting and driving. So far I've made it to Starbucks, felt like everyone was watching me, although I know that's just first time jitters. All in all though I'm not a complete nervous wreck like I thought I'd be, more or less feel peace of mind. So far so good.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

EAJuggalo
02-02-2012, 06:30
Give it a couple months and you won't even think about it. What is your carry belt? That is much more important than the holster itself.

Congratulations.

Bluestreakfl
02-02-2012, 06:44
Well I have just a regular belt, as the Remora is a no clip style holster. The outside of the holster has an extremely grippy texture to it, you position it how you want, and it just stays there. They make many different models for specific guns as well. You can even wear them with sweatpants. Theyre 100% made in the USA and had a lifetime warranty as well. Worth every penny of the $25 I spent on it, and excellent customer service.

Lowjiber
02-02-2012, 08:17
What is your carry belt? That is much more important than the holster itself.

I absolutely agree. Check out some of the 5.11 belts.

Congratulations on your first CC.

9MM Louey
02-02-2012, 09:35
Congrats.

I've been carrying for a few months. You get used to it pretty quick.

Yesterday, I carried with one in the chamber for the first time.

Just ease into it as you become more comfortable.

mj9mm
02-02-2012, 09:48
:wow:and to think you waited this long to start:wavey:

Bluestreakfl
02-02-2012, 16:15
I'm just glad I finally went through with it and got it. Kept telling myself for the longest time I would, and I finally did. I was very pleased with the turnaround. Filled my app and did fingerprints/photo all electronically at a regional office and got it in 13 days.

porschedog
02-02-2012, 16:27
13 days? Holy crap that's fast.

Congrats.

MODOC GLOCK
02-02-2012, 16:27
I remember my first time...man it was thrilling!.....(lol sounds so dirty.) But I too felt awkward. Now I feel awkward and all sorts of nekkid with out it.

every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

East River Guide
02-04-2012, 19:32
What is your carry belt? That is much more important than the holster itself.

Why is that? (not disagreeing, just trying to learn?)

coastal4974
02-04-2012, 20:19
Well I have just a regular belt, as the Remora is a no clip style holster. The outside of the holster has an extremely grippy texture to it, you position it how you want, and it just stays there. They make many different models for specific guns as well. You can even wear them with sweatpants. Theyre 100% made in the USA and had a lifetime warranty as well. Worth every penny of the $25 I spent on it, and excellent customer service.

I use the Remora with my G19 and carry cross draw, love it.

THEPOPE
02-04-2012, 20:41
Congrats on excersising your RIGHT to carry and defend , I remember my first carry, 6 years ago when I was 51 years of age, I waited way too long to do it......

It will become second nature in a few weeks, as said, you will feel nekk-ed without it....you will also become more observant of your surroundings and the people that reside in those surroundings, you will think about your 'risk management' , and act accordingly.....

Good luck, and carry with safety and confidence,sir.

I am out...........:cool:

Bluestreakfl
02-04-2012, 21:38
I use the Remora with my G19 and carry cross draw, love it.

I love mine too. Excellent holster for sure. I carry mine strong side around 3:00, and it's quite comfortable and very easy to conceal.

Bill Lumberg
02-06-2012, 07:36
A crappy holster on a proper gunbelt or a good holster on a crappy belt will both perform poorly. A quality holster on a proper gunbelt is worth it's weight in gold, even though you can get both for under $70.00.

jwhite75
02-06-2012, 08:14
Why is that? (not disagreeing, just trying to learn?)

If your gun is the bricks in your proverbial house, the belt is the mortar. It holds the whole system together and in place.

A well made leather belt or a stiff nylon belt like a Wilderness Instructor belt will be stiff and hole the weight of you gun and holster and keep it from moving in ANY direction and not let it sag you pants where you have to keep adjusting and thus giving yourself away.

HINT: A proper gun carrying belt will NOT be found in a department store or Wal Mart.

pipedreams
02-06-2012, 08:27
A well made leather belt or a stiff nylon belt like a Wilderness Instructor belt will be stiff and hole the weight of you gun and holster and keep it from moving in ANY direction and not let it sag your pants where you have to keep adjusting and thus giving yourself away.

HINT: A proper gun carrying belt will NOT be found in a department store or Wal Mart.

:agree:

eclark53520
02-06-2012, 08:51
If your gun is the bricks in your proverbial house, the belt is the mortar. It holds the whole system together and in place.

Disagree.

The holster is the Mortar, the Belt is the foundation of that house.

I've converted a few friends that were of the mindset that their dress belt was 'Good Enough'. I let them carry with my Wilderness Instructors belt for a day, all of them bought a real gun belt after that.

redbaron007
02-06-2012, 09:10
Congrats on the CCW!! :thumbsup:

Now you need to do the Walmart shuffle a few times and it will become natural. Once you get use to it, when you don't carry, it feels wierd.

As several have mention, a good belt is the start for carrying. If you are using an OWB holster, it is a must. I like the Remora holster, too. It's great to use when you are going out for just a few hours and such.

Enjoy the adventure.....remember to study and know your state laws on CCW.

:wavey:

red

ilmonster
02-06-2012, 09:42
It's certainly an interesting new adventure! I got my CCW a month and a half ago, and am beginning to feel comfortable carrying. I started with a Ruger LCR in a Mitch Rosen OWB holster, and felt very comfortable with it - concealable, substantial trigger pull - didn't worry about it going off. Just recently started carrying my G19 with a round in the chamber and the NY1 trigger spring in a Glock Combat holster. Still more cognicent of the G19 as it just "feels" like it's an easier gun have an AD with (rationally, having shot handguns for 20 years, I know that's not the case!). With the NY1 trigger spring, it's really not an issue, it's just in my own head that I feel that the LCR won't "go off" without a substantial trigger pull. I know I'll get used to it. Again, rationally they're equals - 10 vs. 8lb trigger pulls (vs. a 4lb 1911 trigger for instance), holsters that cover the triggers, my finger never touches a trigger until I'm on target, etc. Just the adventure of beginning to CCW.

Jay_Deuce
02-06-2012, 16:16
I've had my CPL (that's what they call them in MI) for over 6 years now. The days that I don't carry feels unnatural now.

Bluestreakfl
02-06-2012, 20:33
Well, in retrospect, it's not really as weird as I thought it would feel. I already carried at work, and our shop is also an FFL so guns in general I'm very familiar with, and I'm used to carrying at work, but stepping into uncharted territory as far as carrying did take a bit of adjusting. All in all though, it already feels like second nature to me. Still haven't made the obligatory Walmart run but I think I shall soon. Have carried all sorts of other places though so far, and even being a smaller guy, the way I carry has very little if any printing at all, and is comfortable even to sit or drive while doing, so all in all I'm a happy CCW holder.

DannyII
02-06-2012, 21:29
This makes me laugh every time i see it:

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/4476/wallyworldmap.gif (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/853/wallyworldmap.gif/)

Bluestreakfl
02-06-2012, 21:34
This makes me laugh every time i see it:

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/4476/wallyworldmap.gif (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/853/wallyworldmap.gif/)

That's priceless, and I think that may even be the perfect route.

larson1122
02-07-2012, 02:26
I also just got my permit in the mail today and carried for the first time. It only took seven days here in MN to receive my permit in the mail after I turned in my application. I already noticed a good belt does make a big difference. I bought a Galco instructor's belt and the extra support makes carrying a lot more comfortable.

JuneyBooney
02-07-2012, 02:35

I break belts if they are regular belts. The belt is the weak link so always get a good belt.

NEOH212
02-07-2012, 02:41
Check out some of the 5.11 belts.

And Galco! :wavey:

jwhite75
02-07-2012, 09:33
Disagree.

The holster is the Mortar, the Belt is the foundation of that house.

I've converted a few friends that were of the mindset that their dress belt was 'Good Enough'. I let them carry with my Wilderness Instructors belt for a day, all of them bought a real gun belt after that.

Tom-ay-toh....To-Mah-toh.

Both are generaly not going to work properly without the other.

ilmonster
02-07-2012, 12:58
Yup, a dedicated gun belt is as important to the CCW experience as is the holster. I have a Galco belt that works great. Plenty of others out there too.

DBG19
02-07-2012, 13:00

Congrats.

I did my at the Downtown Miami office, and had mine in hy hands on the 7th day.

DBG19
02-07-2012, 13:04

As you spend more time carrying I think you will find that the Remora's are great for a quick trip out where you just throw the gun on, or aren't wearing a belt (gym shorts, sweats, etc). However, I'm pretty sure if you try a gunbelt designed to carry the extra weight, and an IWB or OWB holster it will be much more comfortable in the long run.

EAJuggalo
02-07-2012, 17:25
I also just got my permit in the mail today and carried for the first time. It only took seven days here in MN to receive my permit in the mail after I turned in my application.
Wow that's fast for MN, what county are you in?

As to why the belt is more important, JWhite is correct. It stops the holster from moving and spreads the load out across the hips. I can carry comfortably with a cheap uncle mike's and a good belt much easier than I can a Milt Sparks or Galco with a crap belt. I'm personally partial to the Kydex reinforced belt from Looper Leather, I've had mine for 5 or 6 years and it's been great. I had a Galco before that that stretched out horribly bad in under 2 years. My next is probably going to be a Wilderness whenever I get around to it.

larson1122
02-07-2012, 17:46
Douglas County. I was quite surprised how quick I got it too. From what I've heard the sheriff is very supportive when it comes to people carrying firearms.

nickthedude
02-07-2012, 22:37
I also just got my permit in the mail today and carried for the first time. It only took seven days here in MN to receive my permit in the mail after I turned in my application. I already noticed a good belt does make a big difference. I bought a Galco instructor's belt and the extra support makes carrying a lot more comfortable.

Damn, what part of MN you in? I'm in Hennepin County, day 29 today and still nothing. All in tomorrow... :supergrin:

EDIT: saw the post right above me.

MinnesnowtaWild
02-07-2012, 23:05
Damn, what part of MN you in? I'm in Hennepin County, day 29 today and still nothing. All in tomorrow... :supergrin:

EDIT: saw the post right above me.

Yeah I got my permit a few months ago from Hennepin County and I swear they must wait until day 30 to get everything done. Mine was issued on day 30 and I received it about 35 days after I dropped off the application (which btw sucks that you have to park smack dab in downtown and then you have to track down that little CCW permit office).

I was very frustrated over that ordeal. Luckily I have 5 years before I have to deal with the BS again.

barth
02-07-2012, 23:08
And Galco! :wavey:

+1
I have three different gun belts.
But the Galco SB1 is far and away the best.
It's the only one I use and is super comfortable.

Foxtrotx1
02-07-2012, 23:10
2 pages and no Nachos? you guys are slaking.

EAJuggalo
02-08-2012, 07:02

Your permit has probably been approved and printed with Wednesday's date on it already, but they will sit on it and mail it out on day 30. Legally, you may carry beginning Thursday using your receipt of application, however I wouldn't recommend it in MPLS itself.

Yang332
02-08-2012, 07:31
That's priceless, and I think that may even be the perfect route.

Don't forget the combat rolls between isles!

Well.. you survived. :) Yes, EVERYONE IS LOOKING AT YOU! J/K. Its a first time thing. I went through that phase. LOL. It'll brush off.. next thing you know, you're going to forget you're carrying.

SigFTW
02-08-2012, 08:09
Don't forget the combat rolls between isles!

Yeah, that is normal behavior at Walmart!! (Google "People of Walmart"):rofl::rofl:

ashecht
02-08-2012, 08:13

Congrats.

Yikes. Took 90 days to get mine in NC a year and a half ago

Yang332
02-08-2012, 08:15
Yeah I got my permit a few months ago from Hennepin County and I swear they must wait until day 30 to get everything done. Mine was issued on day 30 and I received it about 35 days after I dropped off the application (which btw sucks that you have to park smack dab in downtown and then you have to track down that little CCW permit office).

I was very frustrated over that ordeal. Luckily I have 5 years before I have to deal with the BS again.

LOL. Hennepin sucks! I hear they are the wost and will wait forever. Turn around time is usually a few days after your 30th. I got mine in Ramsey County. Issued on the 19th and got it on the 23rd. Man, must've been the longest 23 days of my life..

eclark53520
02-08-2012, 08:18
Tom-ay-toh....To-Mah-toh.

Both are generaly not going to work properly without the other.

A good belt can make a bad holster OK. A good holster isn't going to hold itself up better with a crap belt.

Belt is more important.

nickthedude
02-08-2012, 16:13
got mine today.

MCLAVER
02-08-2012, 16:45
LOL. Hennepin sucks! I hear they are the wost and will wait forever. Turn around time is usually a few days after your 30th. I got mine in Ramsey County. Issued on the 19th and got it on the 23rd. Man, must've been the longest 23 days of my life..
I applied for my permit to purchase in Plymouth and my permit to carry in Hennepin the dame day. The day after I passed the permit to carry class. The permit to purchase came in 7 days, I bought my gun and went to Bills Gun shop the next day to try it out. It took 27 days too get the permit to carry from Hennepin. But at least I was able to get my gun and use it at the range while I waited.

EAJuggalo
02-09-2012, 08:24

Yours must have been rather recently. Until the new Sheriff came in Fletcher regularly ignored the law and took upwards of 35 days to get people their permits if he approved them at all. He would ignore the fact that weekends count and mail permits from areas of the county that would take the longest to get to the addressee.

MCLAVER
02-09-2012, 10:29
Yours must have been rather recently. Until the new Sheriff came in Fletcher regularly ignored the law and took upwards of 35 days to get people their permits if he approved them at all. He would ignore the fact that weekends count and mail permits from areas of the county that would take the longest to get to the addressee.

I applied at the end of November

GunHo198
02-09-2012, 11:26
The REAL test is the public restroom test.

A. You use the Urnal and when you undo your belt the gun dips down below your shirt for all to see.

B. You use the stall and drop your gun on the floor and it skids across the floor through urin into the next stall. Or worse you set it on the toilet back and forget it...

Takes some thought sometimes, and some practice. LOL

Foxtrotx1
02-09-2012, 11:35

A. You use the Urnal and when you undo your belt the gun dips down below your shirt for all to see.

B. You use the stall and drop your gun on the floor and it skids across the floor through urin into the next stall. Or worse you set it on the toilet back and forget it...

nothing takes the finish of your glock like pee!

GunHo198
02-09-2012, 11:42
nothing takes the finish of your glock like pee!

The bathroom Paranoia has always been my greatest fear. LOL I will hold it as long as possible if theres a crowded bathroom. :crying:

eclark53520
02-09-2012, 11:54

A. There is no reason to unbelt at a urinal. You have a zipper for a reason.

B. The weapon never leaves the holster...how would it fall to the ground or be left on the toilet? Unbelt, unbutton, lower garments, sit. Reverse order when you're done. Same way i do it when i didn't carry a gun.

I'm not sure why it requires thought or practice to use the restroom?

Yang332
02-09-2012, 12:42

Yes, I applied right after Matt Bostrom took over.

Bill Lumberg
02-09-2012, 16:53
Always wondered every time it was a topic, but never asked. Keep it in a proper holster on a gunbelt and you don't have to handle it until you need it. Not hard at all. A. There is no reason to unbelt at a urinal. You have a zipper for a reason.

B. The weapon never leaves the holster...how would it fall to the ground or be left on the toilet? Unbelt, unbutton, lower garments, sit. Reverse order when you're done. Same way i do it when i didn't carry a gun.

I'm not sure why it requires thought or practice to use the restroom?