So why would I? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : So why would I?

Madmax1010
02-02-2012, 07:29
So why would I carry a 40 cal such as a g23gen4 instead of 45acp?

I am asking this question because I am looking for opinions and trying to convince myself to switch from 45 to 40. Give some reasons.
Getting older and looking carry a smaller/lighter package around.

SCSU74
02-02-2012, 07:38
Might as well switch to 9. Recoil of .40 is way too snappy for me. If I couldn't carry my 21 anymore it would be my 19

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Quarter Tank
02-02-2012, 07:43
I decided to go full on with a Gen4 21. I decided to go with the biggest caliber bullet in Glock possible

Billy10mm
02-02-2012, 07:51
Because the .40 bullet has a smaller footprint and more muzzle energy which loosely translates to better penetration, holds more rounds in a magazine, can use a smaller frame which helps people with smaller hands, and best of all - is less expensive.

Any questions?

HerrGlock
02-02-2012, 07:52
If you can shoot it as well or better, change.

Thing is, even if you pick up a .32 auto, if you carry it 100% of the time it's a better gun than a .45 that you carry 1/2 the time because it's too heavy or doesn't fit with your clothing choices.

Someone's going to gripe about that so I'll put it more bluntly. A .32 you have on you is infinitely better than a .45 that's still in the night stand at home.

uglyblackguns
02-02-2012, 07:53

Thing is, even if you pick up a .32 auto, if you carry it 100% of the time it's a better gun than a .45 that you carry 1/2 the time because it's too heavy or doesn't fit with your clothing choices.

Someone's going to gripe about that so I'll put it more bluntly. A .32 you have on you is infinitely better than a .45 that's still in the night stand at home.

Very well put

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

RussP
02-02-2012, 08:07

Very well putAgree, well said.

bruzer
02-02-2012, 08:39
For me I like the versatility of the Glock .40 platform. With conversion kits I can shoot 9mm and .22 all from my carry gun. I use the .22 for cheap, cheap practice and speed steel, 9mm for faster follow up shots and to save a few bucks at IDPA matches and then .40 for carry.
Good luck and stay safe,
Mike

RussP
02-02-2012, 08:57
For me I like the versatility of the Glock .40 platform. With conversion kits I can shoot 9mm and .22 all from my carry gun. I use the .22 for cheap, cheap practice and speed steel, 9mm for faster follow up shots and to save a few bucks at IDPA matches and then .40 for carry.
Good luck and stay safe,
MikeYou say, "conversion kits," when you go from .40 to 9mm, are there any changes other than dropping in the barrel and changing mags?

Pierre!
02-02-2012, 09:09
You say, "conversion kits," when you go from .40 to 9mm, are there any changes other than dropping in the barrel and changing mags?

In my experience you can go with 9mm, .40, and .357Sig with just mags and the barrel. I have done this with 2 or 3 G22s over the years, and the other 2 guys love the system.

The .40 mags have so far been quite reliable for .357Sig as well.

So start with a G22 or G31 - and just purchase the required barrels and magazines. I don't know that G31 mags will perform as reliably as the G22 mags as you interchange .40/.357Sig ammo...

For the OP:
Round count vs Size vs Comfort vs Ability To Conceal - these would be some of the reasons for changing caliber... as long as you can hit well with it, and you have confidence in the firearm, you would be good to go!

HTH

Patrick

HerrGlock
02-02-2012, 09:21
You say, "conversion kits," when you go from .40 to 9mm, are there any changes other than dropping in the barrel and changing mags?

WARNING: Yes, there is. Going from .357 Sig to .40 S&W is a barrel change. Going from .40 to 9mm is not.

Early '90s a buddy and I were shooting bowling pins. I shot two or three (can't remember any more) racks of them and went up for the new set. Two shots later my glock (G23) jams up good. Took two of us and a lot of careful maneuvering to get the round out and clear the gun.

Took it back to the waiting area and started REALLY looking over the gun. Turns out I had his G19 lower on my G23 slide/barrel. G23 magazines will fit fine but the ejector is shorter for a 9mm than it is for a .40 but not by much and I got away with it for a few iterations until one round slid in exactly the right spot to get wedged into it somehow to freeze up the gun.

Gen1 and Gen2 frames you also have to be careful with because there's two pins in the receiver of a .40 and only one in a 9mm. They changed that up somewhere in Gen2 and I believe all Gen3+ are the stronger version regardless of caliber.

So yes you can go from .40 to 9mm for the range. I would never in my life carry one in a pistol made for the other with just a barrel change, though.

This is one primary reason I don't own a 9mm Glock. It's way too easy to "oops"

xmanhockey7
02-02-2012, 13:10
.40 is going to have more capacity in a smaller package.

HarleyGuy
02-02-2012, 13:11
I have many "concealable" handguns and about as many holsters to carry them in, but the gun that I most always carry is my Kel-Tec.32 simply because of it's size and weight.
The next closest (that I carry regularly) to that is my Glock 27 in either a Milt Sparks Summer Special or an Executive Companion.
The G27 is a very capable gun, but due to it's size and weight it's about the limit in what I want to carry around all day long

Both of these guns are cheap (EDC) utility guns and if they get scratched or wet or whatever I don't give "a rats rear end".

Some say that the little BUG guns are useless, but I don't think anyone would want to have a mag full of .32's emptied into them and if that's all I've got available to me (which is al lot better than nothing)and that's what I'll use if necessary.

EAJuggalo
02-02-2012, 21:55
I don't know that G31 mags will perform as reliably as the G22 mags as you interchange .40/.357Sig ammo...

Patrick

The only difference between G22 and G31 mags is the caliber stamp on the back of the mag. In '04 I purchased G22 mags for my G31 since at that time you couldn't find any 15rd mags stamped 357. Approximately 10,000 rounds through each of them without a problem. Remember, the only difference between a G22 and a G31 is the barrel and a slight difference in the height of the sights.

HerrGlock
02-03-2012, 03:05
The only difference between G22 and G31 mags is the caliber stamp on the back of the mag. In '04 I purchased G22 mags for my G31 since at that time you couldn't find any 15rd mags stamped 357. Approximately 10,000 rounds through each of them without a problem. Remember, the only difference between a G22 and a G31 is the barrel and a slight difference in the height of the sights.

The .357 magazines do have the bottleneck shape at the top and the .40 do not.

No, there's no issue using .40 mags for the .357 Sig Glocks but the stamp is not the only difference.

larry_minn
02-03-2012, 11:48
There can be many reasons. (some even good ones) :)

I normally carry a 9 or .380. I find the 9mm much cheaper to shoot more rds. In same size frame I still normally use 9mm..

sr975j
02-03-2012, 11:52
So why would I carry a 40 cal such as a g23gen4 instead of 45acp?

I am asking this question because I am looking for opinions and trying to convince myself to switch from 45 to 40. Give some reasons.
Getting older and looking carry a smaller/lighter package around.

because i carry either a 23 or 27 and im awesome. everyone should strive to be like me :supergrin:

Sam

Turk
02-03-2012, 12:28
Given the fact that we have so many choices what would be a good source of information (on the net) that shows and explains the differences of one caliber to the other in terms of performance and ballistics?

cowboy1964
02-03-2012, 12:56
Because the .40 bullet has a smaller footprint and more muzzle energy which loosely translates to better penetration

By that logic a hot 9mm will out penetrate a .40, making the 9mm superior to the .40 and the .45.

http://le.atk.com/pdf/GoldDotPoster.pdf

Momentum and sectional density are much more critical for penetration than energy is.

bobhock
02-03-2012, 13:34
.45. Because they don't make a .46.

Billy10mm
02-03-2012, 14:51
By that logic a hot 9mm will out penetrate a .40, making the 9mm superior to the .40 and the .45.

http://le.atk.com/pdf/GoldDotPoster.pdf

Momentum and sectional density are much more critical for penetration than energy is.

But energy is a factor of speed and mass - two things that increase penetration.

And note I said "loosely".

DannyII
02-03-2012, 15:32
Questions:

What is the loaded weight of the gun you are carrying now?

What is the mag capacity?

RussP
02-03-2012, 15:50

In my experience you can go with 9mm, .40, and .357Sig with just mags and the barrel. I have done this with 2 or 3 G22s over the years, and the other 2 guys love the system.

The .40 mags have so far been quite reliable for .357Sig as well.

So start with a G22 or G31 - and just purchase the required barrels and magazines. I don't know that G31 mags will perform as reliably as the G22 mags as you interchange .40/.357Sig ammo...

For the OP:
Round count vs Size vs Comfort vs Ability To Conceal - these would be some of the reasons for changing caliber... as long as you can hit well with it, and you have confidence in the firearm, you would be good to go!

HTH

Patrick

WARNING: Yes, there is. Going from .357 Sig to .40 S&W is a barrel change. Going from .40 to 9mm is not.

Early '90s a buddy and I were shooting bowling pins. I shot two or three (can't remember any more) racks of them and went up for the new set. Two shots later my glock (G23) jams up good. Took two of us and a lot of careful maneuvering to get the round out and clear the gun.

Took it back to the waiting area and started REALLY looking over the gun. Turns out I had his G19 lower on my G23 slide/barrel. G23 magazines will fit fine but the ejector is shorter for a 9mm than it is for a .40 but not by much and I got away with it for a few iterations until one round slid in exactly the right spot to get wedged into it somehow to freeze up the gun.

Gen1 and Gen2 frames you also have to be careful with because there's two pins in the receiver of a .40 and only one in a 9mm. They changed that up somewhere in Gen2 and I believe all Gen3+ are the stronger version regardless of caliber.

So yes you can go from .40 to 9mm for the range. I would never in my life carry one in a pistol made for the other with just a barrel change, though.

This is one primary reason I don't own a 9mm Glock. It's way too easy to "oops"The ejector is what I remembered, too.

Thanks!!

DWARREN123
02-03-2012, 15:52
Usually more rounds in the same size or smaller/lighter package. The 40 S&W is bigger than a 9mm but faster than a 45ACP.
Dosen't really matter in my opinion, just go with what you like.
I myself carry either a G22 or G20SF, big guns but lots of fun. :supergrin:

m14fan
02-03-2012, 15:57
Because the .40 bullet has a smaller footprint and more muzzle energy which loosely translates to better penetration, holds more rounds in a magazine, can use a smaller frame which helps people with smaller hands, and best of all - is less expensive.

Any questions?

Good point,when I got my 4gen g22 I wanted to try .40. Now this guy is one of the biggest LEO dealer in the state.He had been told(i bought one of the first 4th gen g22 serial #under 550) the recoil spring tamed recoil to closer to 9mm but he hadnt tested it personally.The recoil is pretty snappy it is controllable but I'm used to .357mag and .45acp.

For me the recoil of the .45 in my 1911 seems longer and smoother.It tends to fall back into place naturally once you get the feel for it.More of a transfer to the elbows and less on the wrist.

I do not regret trying a .40 but I still love the .45.I also have faith in the .40 and the few extra rounds in mag capacity doesnt seal the deal for me.Also if the new recoil spring does reduce recoil I wonder what it does to the .45.

But the .10mm hunting possibilities looks good to me.

Madmax1010
02-03-2012, 18:00
Questions:

What is the loaded weight of the gun you are carrying now?

What is the mag capacity?

3 LBs and 8 rd mag and one chambered (9)

My 1911's I carry are all 5"B and the stainless sig P220's are all 4.4 B.

BK63
02-03-2012, 18:19
It's all a matter of personal preference and what you shoot well. Friend of mine has a 40and for whatever reason I can't hit squat with it. I have a 45 and it's a tack driver. I have other calibers I shoot well, larger and smaller. Carry what works for you.

Madmax1010
02-03-2012, 20:16
It's all a matter of personal preference and what you shoot well. Friend of mine has a 40and for whatever reason I can't hit squat with it. I have a 45 and it's a tack driver. I have other calibers I shoot well, larger and smaller. Carry what works for you.

I have been carrying the 45 acp or 10mm for nearly 50 yrs just got a urge for something a little smaller and lighter.
But the more I ck into it the more I keep wanting to stay with my 1911's and sigs in 45 acp.
45's are tack drivers for me also.

Although I do like the g21 I've have three of them and just picked up a Gen4 21 going to the range this week. Thats lighter then my sigs or my 1911's and holds 14 rds of goodness.